04-23-2018, 10:17 AM
According to a report cited on this site:
https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/

Steel Maniac
04-23-2018, 10:23 AM
Dupree needs to show something.

Buzz
04-23-2018, 10:23 AM
Do I understand correctly that he's now guaranteed to make $9 million next season (2019)?

Steel Maniac
04-23-2018, 10:39 AM
Steelers exercised OLB Bud Dupree's fifth-year option for 2019.

The No. 22 overall pick of the 2015 draft, Dupree has been mostly a disappointment through three seasons, recording just 14.5 sacks total. He had his most productive season last year, however, and the option is guaranteed for injury only, meaning the Steelers can still cut him next spring if he does not improve. If he plays out the option year, Dupree will earn $9.232 million in 2019.
Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

RuthlessBurgher
04-23-2018, 10:40 AM
Do I understand correctly that he's now guaranteed to make $9 million next season (2019)?

It's guaranteed for injury only at this point.

Slapstick
04-23-2018, 10:43 AM

It is guaranteed for injury only...like Shazier...

A fifth year option doesn't become fully guaranteed until the beginning of the next league year...so, if the light comes on for Dupree this season and he becomes a 10+ sack per year OLB, then he is under contract for 2019...if he has an otherwise disappointing season, he can be cut prior to March and the Steelers are on the hook for nothing...

The injury guarantee is only good if he would be completely unable to play in 2019, like Ryan Shazier this year...thankfully, those injuries are rare...

feltdizz
04-23-2018, 10:52 AM
I don't think Dupree is ever going to be a 10 sack OLB. We ask him to drop in coverage too often. I'm more concerned with run defense. Our sack total as a team was fine last year.

Slapstick
04-23-2018, 11:08 AM
I don't think Dupree is ever going to be a 10 sack OLB. We ask him to drop in coverage too often. I'm more concerned with run defense. Our sack total as a team was fine last year.

Our run defense on Dupree's side was also fine last year...apparently, his coverage got the job done as well:

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2018/2/3/16965710/the-steelers-defense-against-runs-and-short-passes-in-2017-and-what

The Man of Steel
04-23-2018, 11:10 AM
I read that Bust Dupree was a 4 year starter at tight end back in high school so maybe the Steelers have just been using him all wrong since they drafted him.

Oviedo
04-23-2018, 11:10 AM
Show time for Bud. He is not as bad as some make him out to be.

I also believe that Porter is NOT the coach we need developing our OLBs. IMO he should have also been shown the door when Lake left.

Steel Maniac
04-23-2018, 11:19 AM
You are so right about Porter. But when is Tomlin going to see it?

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
04-23-2018, 11:32 AM

Guaranteed if he is injured. Similar to Shazier, once he was carted off the field his 2018 deal was secured.

Rara
04-23-2018, 11:39 AM
Still looking like Tarzan...but still playing like Jane.

Last chance for Dupree. He has the potential, I'll give him that.

Buzz
04-23-2018, 12:48 PM
Still looking like Tarzan...but still playing like Jane.

Last chance for Dupree. He has the potential, I'll give him that.

Off topic, but I have to say it -- Rara, nice mock, especially the first three picks (great minds think alike?)!

That Antonio Callaway has a lot of talent, but I'm thinking the Steelers might not spend a draft pick on him because of character concerns. Otherwise, he might be a good choice with their second selection of round 5.

Northern_Blitz
04-23-2018, 02:43 PM
It is guaranteed for injury only...like Shazier...

A fifth year option doesn't become fully guaranteed until the beginning of the next league year...so, if the light comes on for Dupree this season and he becomes a 10+ sack per year OLB, then he is under contract for 2019...if he has an otherwise disappointing season, he can be cut prior to March and the Steelers are on the hook for nothing...

The injury guarantee is only good if he would be completely unable to play in 2019, like Ryan Shazier this year...thankfully, those injuries are rare...

This.

It seems like a smart Steelers type move. It limits the risk that Bud leaves after having a great year. And the potential cost is whatever comp pick we'd lose if we cut him next year after a disappointing season.

I always thought that this was a no brainer. I wonder if they were just letting Bud stew a bit to realize that this is the year for him to do something big.

NorthCoast
04-23-2018, 07:21 PM
You are so right about Porter. But when is Tomlin going to see it?When your LBs coach makes more headlines than your starting OLB then, yea, it might be time for a change....

Iron City Inc.
04-23-2018, 08:40 PM
Some non supporters of Porter out there. Did he not help Watt this past year? Watt looked excellent for a rook. Bud could stay on his feet better not get washed out as often and he didn't play well against jags in playoffs. On the ground to often in that game but don't know how that falls on Porter. Some have stated they believed Bud was playing hurt often in 17. Dropped over 40% of the time so his sack opportunities were not that high. He may surprise this year. Perhaps he'll get to rush more often in 18.

Captain Lemming
04-23-2018, 09:46 PM
Some non supporters of Porter out there. Did he not help Watt this past year? Watt looked excellent for a rook.

He WAS excellent as was Chickillo......when HARRISON was "mentoring" them. Afterwards....not so much. :) :stirpot:stirpot

NorthCoast
04-23-2018, 10:59 PM
He WAS excellent as was Chickillo......when HARRISON was "mentoring" them. Afterwards....not so much. :) :stirpot:stirpotYes. There was noticeable dropoff in LB play in the last 1/4 of the season. play calling? maybe. rookie wall? also possible.
But if I'm the owner of a team, I certainly wouldn't want to read these headlines about the staff in the morning paper: "Steelers assistant Joey Porter arrested on multiple charges in bar incident after win".

Slapstick
04-24-2018, 06:34 AM
He WAS excellent as was Chickillo......when HARRISON was "mentoring" them. Afterwards....not so much. :) :stirpot:stirpot

:lol::lol::lol:

”Mentoring”...

RuthlessBurgher
04-24-2018, 10:09 AM
Yes. There was noticeable dropoff in LB play in the last 1/4 of the season. play calling? maybe. rookie wall? also possible.
But if I'm the owner of a team, I certainly wouldn't want to read these headlines about the staff in the morning paper: "Steelers assistant Joey Porter arrested on multiple charges in bar incident after win".

I like that more than "Steelers assistant Joey Porter arrested on multiple charges in bar incident after loss".
:p

NorthCoast
04-24-2018, 07:18 PM
I like that more than "Steelers assistant Joey Porter arrested on multiple charges in bar incident after loss".
:p Nicely done Ruthless...

On redirect, it may be the case that Dupre's injuries have caused him to underperform the last couple years. Would like to see him in the J Harrison school of preseason training regimen.

Ghost
04-24-2018, 08:26 PM
Smart move because right now they don’t have a replacement and if he doesn’t get it together in 2018 they can cut him without repercussion.

But so so far the dude has not been good. No forced fumbles and no interceptions. For a 6’4” / 270 pound man, he gets washed out of plays continuously. Total non factor in most games. There were periods when he was the worst player on the field.

I hope the the light bulb comes on this season but so far he’s been a bust no where near deserving of being a first round pick.

hawaiiansteel
06-03-2018, 05:52 PM
‘The Sack Whisperer’ Predicts Breakout Year For Dupree If He Develops Signature Moves

By Dave Bryan
Posted on June 3, 2018

Will 2018 finally be the breakout season for Pittsburgh Steelers outside linebacker Bud Dupree, the team’s first-round selection in the 2015 NFL Draft? The Steelers apparently think there’s a good chance of that happening as evidenced by them picking up Dupree’s fifth-year option several weeks ago. The Steelers front office, however, aren’t the only ones expecting Dupree to have his best season as a pro as his offseason pass-rush coach, former NFL defensive end Chuck Smith, who is also known as “The Sack Whisperer”, is also expecting the Kentucky product to finally live up to expectations in 2018 as well.

“They took his option and it wouldn’t surprise me if Bud it breaks out and gets 10 [sacks],” Smith said of Dupree during an interview this past week with Pete Prisco of CBS Sports on his podcast.

So why didn’t Dupree have a breakout season in 2017 after working with Smith a year ago? Prisco asked Smith a question very similar to that during the interview and he received a very straight-forward answer.

to read rest of article:

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2018/06/the-sack-whisper-predicts-breakout-year-for-dupree-if-he-develops-signature-moves/

fordfixer
06-03-2018, 06:40 PM
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2018/06/the-sack-whisper-predicts-breakout-year-for-dupree-if-he-develops-signature-moves/

Welcome back Hawaiiansteel its good to see you around :tt2

Buzz
06-03-2018, 06:59 PM
‘The Sack Whisperer’ Predicts Breakout Year For Dupree If He Develops Signature Moves

By Dave Bryan
Posted on June 3, 2018

Will 2018 finally be the breakout season for Pittsburgh Steelers outside linebacker Bud Dupree, the team’s first-round selection in the 2015 NFL Draft? The Steelers apparently think there’s a good chance of that happening as evidenced by them picking up Dupree’s fifth-year option several weeks ago. The Steelers front office, however, aren’t the only ones expecting Dupree to have his best season as a pro as his offseason pass-rush coach, former NFL defensive end Chuck Smith, who is also known as “The Sack Whisperer”, is also expecting the Kentucky product to finally live up to expectations in 2018 as well.

“They took his option and it wouldn’t surprise me if Bud it breaks out and gets 10 [sacks],” Smith said of Dupree during an interview this past week with Pete Prisco of CBS Sports on his podcast.

So why didn’t Dupree have a breakout season in 2017 after working with Smith a year ago? Prisco asked Smith a question very similar to that during the interview and he received a very straight-forward answer.

to read rest of article:

Big Dud has played 3 years for the Steelers -- why hasn't he developed any "signature moves" before now?

And what exactly does Joey Porter do to help our OLBs with their pass rush?

Steel Maniac
06-03-2018, 07:00 PM
Hmmmm ..read the article. So the whispers about Dupree being ..shall we say, " not the sharpest knife in the drawer " seem to be true.

Mental note to self, " Never draft a dumb@ss linebacker no matter how athletic he is" Got it.

Steel Maniac
06-03-2018, 07:00 PM
Big Dud has played 3 years for the Steelers -- why hasn't he developed any "signature moves" before now?

Porter being the linebacker coach may be the other problem. We will see.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
06-03-2018, 07:26 PM
Porter being the linebacker coach may be the other problem. We will see.

Yes, wondering about that.

He did singlehandedly get us to the playoffs a few years ago (walking on the field against the Bungles).

But what is there to show how well he can coach his players up?

steelz09
06-03-2018, 07:33 PM

I like Porter as a player but he has no business being the Steelers LB coach. We need a coach, not a ra ra guy. Although, he has been mentored by one of the best ra ra coaches in Tomlin.

hawaiiansteel
06-03-2018, 09:59 PM
Watt, Dupree ‘Look Way More Comfortable’ After Switching Sides According To OL

ByMatthew Marczi
Posted on June 3, 2018

We learned early in OTAs that Pittsburgh Steelers outside linebackers T.J. Watt and Bud Dupree were working on the side of the field opposite of where they had previously started. Dupree had been the leftside outside linebacker since he was drafted in 2015, and Watt played primarily on the right side a year ago as a rookie.

It sounds as though it’s intended for the switch to be permanent, but not static. While Watt and Dupree will start on the opposite side from their previous assignment, the Steelers plan to flip them more on either side over the course of a game, according to Ed Bouchette.

And according to at least one player who has to block them, the change has already been positive. Right tackle Marcus Gilbert, the most veteran at the position on the roster, told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette that “they look way more comfortable on the sides they are right now”, noting that the change has been consistent through the first two weeks of OTAs.

to read rest of article:

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2018/06/watt-dupree-look-way-more-comfortable-after-switching-sides-according-to-ol/

SanAntonioSteelerFan
06-03-2018, 10:35 PM
Watt, Dupree ‘Look Way More Comfortable’ After Switching Sides According To OL

ByMatthew Marczi
Posted on June 3, 2018

We learned early in OTAs that Pittsburgh Steelers outside linebackers T.J. Watt and Bud Dupree were working on the side of the field opposite of where they had previously started. Dupree had been the leftside outside linebacker since he was drafted in 2015, and Watt played primarily on the right side a year ago as a rookie.

It sounds as though it’s intended for the switch to be permanent, but not static. While Watt and Dupree will start on the opposite side from their previous assignment, the Steelers plan to flip them more on either side over the course of a game, according to Ed Bouchette.

And according to at least one player who has to block them, the change has already been positive. Right tackle Marcus Gilbert, the most veteran at the position on the roster, told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette that “they look way more comfortable on the sides they are right now”, noting that the change has been consistent through the first two weeks of OTAs.

to read rest of article:

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2018/06/watt-dupree-look-way-more-comfortable-after-switching-sides-according-to-ol/

Hey, Welcome Back, Hawaiian Steel!

PS - If you want to make your links yellow and clickable - first click up top on the little "film" icon (to the left of the quote bubble, at least on my screen), and then paste the link address into there. Yeah, real intuitive, right! :rolleyes::D

hawaiiansteel
06-03-2018, 10:59 PM
Hey, Welcome Back, Hawaiian Steel!

PS - If you want to make your links yellow and clickable - first click up top on the little "film" icon (to the left of the quote bubble, at least on my screen), and then paste the link address into there. Yeah, real intuitive, right! :rolleyes::D

Mahalo SA, it's nice to be back. and thanks for that info, I was wondering what I was doing wrong! :Cheers