PDA

View Full Version : Steelers on the Clock...

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
04-18-2018, 11:25 AM
Your chance GMs. After failing to move up to get the guy you want..You're on the clock. No acceptable offers to get out of 28. Time to send in the card. 27 picks below.

QB
Darnold
Allen
Rosen
Mayfield

RB
Barkley

WR
Ridley
Moore

OL
Nelson
McGlinchey
Williams
Wynn
Hernandez
Miller
Daniels

DL
Chubb
Vea
Davenport
Payne

LB
Edmunds
Smith
LVE
Evans

S
Fitzpatrick
James

CB
Ward
Alexander
Jackson

"With the 28th Pick in the 2018 NFL Draft..The Steelers Select..."

Rara
04-18-2018, 12:01 PM
Easy....Justin Reid, S; Stanford.

RuthlessBurgher
04-18-2018, 12:20 PM
QB Lamar Jackson :stirpot

Iron City Inc.
04-18-2018, 12:36 PM
I like Reid. However guys that are physical freaks that can rush the passer I would give the nod to so Lorenzo Carter is it. Bud can kick inside.

Shawn
04-18-2018, 01:30 PM
Lamar Jackson without a doubt.

Buzz
04-18-2018, 02:05 PM
Take Guice, then do a sign-and-trade with Bell (to NY Giants) to secure an extra pick early in the second round and an extra pick early in the third. Use those extra picks to help fortify the D.

Eddie Spaghetti
04-18-2018, 02:14 PM
Harold Landry

SteelerOfDeVille
04-18-2018, 02:20 PM
lamar jackson without a doubt.
god no!!!!!

Shawn
04-18-2018, 02:22 PM
god no!!!!! LOL...I'm surprised it took you this long to respond.

pittpete
04-18-2018, 02:26 PM
Tremaine Edmunds, VIRGINIA TECH
Whoops just saw he was not there...

SteelerOfDeVille
04-18-2018, 02:27 PM
If those guys are all gone, I take BPA... Derrius Guice, RB, LSU. And save a lot of money off Bell's contract with very little drop off.

Buzz
04-18-2018, 02:30 PM
Harold Landry

Good choice. I missed that he was still on the board at #28.

Eddie Spaghetti
04-18-2018, 02:39 PM

would be a no brainer for me

talented EDGE that fills a huge need

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
04-18-2018, 02:39 PM
Harold Landry

Yeah..And I feel it takes someone taking Landry & Jackson ahead of us to get Evans to fall to us. Maybe someone reaching for another OT too.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
04-18-2018, 02:45 PM

Can't have too many edge rushers. Easy to see Watt, Dupree, & Landry on field the same time in Subs. They can all drop..Heyward & Tuitt slide in with Burnett walking up to backer.

Buzz
04-18-2018, 02:47 PM
Can't have too many edge rushers. Easy to see Watt, Dupree, & Landry on field the same time in Subs. They can all drop..Heyward & Tuitt slide in with Burnett walking up to backer.

Change my vote to Landry.

RuthlessBurgher
04-18-2018, 02:56 PM

Yeah, Landry is likely the top available edge rusher here with Chubb and Davenport off the board...

Steel Maniac
04-18-2018, 03:57 PM
Boy, gotta admit that we'd look nasty on third down with Watt, Landry and Dupree (provided Dupree shows something)

SteelerOfDeVille
04-18-2018, 04:04 PM
LOL...I'm surprised it took you this long to respond.
only cuz i hadn't been around much - LMAO

SteelerOfDeVille
04-18-2018, 04:05 PM
i LOOKED for him and SWEAR i saw him on the list - lmao

Oviedo
04-18-2018, 05:21 PM
Harold Landry

I worry he is Jarvis Jones 2.0

Eddie Spaghetti
04-18-2018, 05:31 PM
I worry he is Jarvis Jones 2.0

really? why?

I'm certainly no expert but it looks like Landry has athleticism that Jarvis jones could only dream of

certainly none of the bend coming off the edge Landry possesses

squidkid
04-18-2018, 05:34 PM
i think landry would be the most logical choice.
i think similar rb production can be found in round 2 to juice, but maybe not edge to landry

Sager
04-18-2018, 05:47 PM
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/media/draft-1.1971/full?d=1524087911
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/media/draft-2.1973/full?d=1524088004

-Wynn can replace Foster in 2019 when his contract runs up and provide depth at any O-line position for 2018. And get Munchak to coach up another one while we got him. Reports say O-line coaches will fall in love with Wynn
-NEED to be able to protect Ben with Haley gone and need depth in case of injury on the O-line this year (Gilbert,cough)
-Bring back Timmons and let him and Bostic cover the ILB vacancy
-Would've liked Evans or Vander Esch, but unless we use our second to trade up, I don't see either falling to 1.28
-Take best-available safety in Round 2. Harrison, Edmunds, Allen, Whitehead
-Pay Bell

steeler_george
04-18-2018, 07:50 PM

-Wynn can replace Foster in 2019 when his contract runs up and provide depth at any O-line position for 2018. And get Munchak to coach up another one while we got him. Reports say O-line coaches will fall in love with Wynn
-NEED to be able to protect Ben with Haley gone and need depth in case of injury on the O-line this year (Gilbert,cough)
-Would've liked Evans or Vander Esch, but unless we use our second to trade up, I don't see either falling to 1.28
-Pay Bell

Good post.

I was also thinking that if too if the top all ILB are off the board. I was thinking going offense to get value.

I am starting to think WR or TE maybe, the same reason, Bryant and McDonald gone next year.

squidkid
04-18-2018, 08:42 PM

-Pay Bell

its up to bell to start getting paid

Sager
04-18-2018, 09:04 PM
He's a moron, but Kiper compared Hayden Hurst to Heath. I'd pass because he'll already be 25 when the season starts, but having Heath on this roster right now sure would be nice. Ben and Bell especially would like a Heath on the team right now.

Shoe
04-18-2018, 09:24 PM
Harold Landry

Damn, if Landry is there, I don't know how you pass up on him.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
04-19-2018, 07:33 AM
Good Stuff! Can't really dislike any of the picks..All have value. I've run it several times. Thought this one bring up best conversation with ILB gone. Most with Landry & Jackson off board before us has Evans getting to us.

The Jackson pick is a hot & cold pick to fans. Interviews would solidify things. If he is willing to get on field early at WR/Gadget it is hot. 2-3 years learning behind BB. 21 all season so do the math waiting for BB. If this is scenario Dobbs not waisted. He stays..Game day inactive. Jackson is your emergency QB game days as well. 2019 Jones FA...That's when you can make decision on Dobbs. Would not be my favorite pick by any means but if this was plan I would be on board.

Slapstick
04-19-2018, 09:18 AM
Good Stuff! Can't really dislike any of the picks..All have value. I've run it several times. Thought this one bring up best conversation with ILB gone. Most with Landry & Jackson off board before us has Evans getting to us.

The Jackson pick is a hot & cold pick to fans. Interviews would solidify things. If he is willing to get on field early at WR/Gadget it is hot. 2-3 years learning behind BB. 21 all season so do the math waiting for BB. If this is scenario Dobbs not waisted. He stays..Game day inactive. Jackson is your emergency QB game days as well. 2019 Jones FA...That's when you can make decision on Dobbs. Would not be my favorite pick by any means but if this was plan I would be on board.

It makes me think of 1995...we had Yancey Thigpen, Charles Johnson, Ernie Mills, and Andre Hastings on the roster but still added Kordell as “slash”...it added another dimension to the offense...

Buzz
04-19-2018, 10:21 AM
its up to bell to start getting paid

It's so hard to be a hero in a city that paints you out to be the villain ... especially when you're only making $14.5 million this year.

RuthlessBurgher
04-19-2018, 10:27 AM
i think landry would be the most logical choice.
i think similar rb production can be found in round 2 to juice, but maybe not edge to landry

Spelling is quite important here.

The RB who played at LSU last year is named Guice.

The RB who murdered his ex-wife and her boyfriend is named Juice.

;)

Steel Maniac
04-23-2018, 09:57 AM
This was on CBS sports this morning. This is what they say about post draft possible cut candidates:

Joe Haden, CB, Pittsburgh Steelers
OK, this one may not seem all that likely, but hear me out. The Steelers have Mike Hilton to play the slot and they drafted Artie Burns a couple years back. They've got some cap issues, as always, and they may need to pay Le'Veon Bell at some point. One way to free up the money: draft a cornerback early and save nearly $7.1 million by cutting Haden loose. Sure, he played pretty well for the Steelers last season; but is he really worth "second-highest cornerback cap hit in the NFL" money right now? Almost surely not.

RuthlessBurgher
04-23-2018, 10:16 AM
This was on CBS sports this morning. This is what they say about post draft possible cut candidates:

OK, this one may not seem all that likely, but hear me out. The Steelers have Mike Hilton to play the slot and they drafted Artie Burns a couple years back. They've got some cap issues, as always, and they may need to pay Le'Veon Bell at some point. One way to free up the money: draft a cornerback early and save nearly $7.1 million by cutting Haden loose. Sure, he played pretty well for the Steelers last season; but is he really worth "second-highest cornerback cap hit in the NFL" money right now? Almost surely not.

Don't believe everything you hear. Joe Haden does not have the "second-highest cornerback cap hit in the NFL" right now.

2018 cap hits for CB's:
Josh Norman
Redskins
$16,937,500

A.J. Bouye
Jaguars
$15,500,000

Jimmy Smith
Ravens
$15,350,683

Patrick Peterson
Cardinals
$14,956,966

Xavier Rhodes
Vikings
$13,400,000

Janoris Jenkins
Giants
$13,000,000

Desmond Trufant
Falcons
$12,900,000

Stephon Gilmore
Patriots
$12,506,250

Joe Haden
Steelers
$11,916,666

Steel Maniac
04-23-2018, 10:21 AM
Oh, there's no way we cut Haden. No way. Not if we want to realistically have a chance to win the Super Bowl.

I just posted it for the Steeler empire to see. I don't believe it for a second. No doubt Josh Norman was going to be up there with the @ss clown Daniel Snyder shelling out needless money. LOL

Oviedo
04-23-2018, 11:09 AM

Cutting Haden and counting on a rookie to be as good would be plain stupid. That's why I can't ever see it happening...Colbert doesn't do dumb things like that. They would try to restructure Haden's contract first.

Slapstick
04-23-2018, 11:24 AM
I'm thinking Evans will be there when the Steelers pick...I think that the Vander Esch "flunking his medical" reports are bunk and will not affect his draft stock...

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2018/04/16/way-we-hear-it-combine-medical-report-disputes-leighton-vander-esch-concerns/a45fktj/

I also think Jessie Bates will be available in round 2...

Round 3? I'm not sure...

RuthlessBurgher
04-23-2018, 11:27 AM
I'm thinking Evans will be there when the Steelers pick...I think that the Vander Esch "flunking his medical" reports are bunk and will not affect his draft stock...

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2018/04/16/way-we-hear-it-combine-medical-report-disputes-leighton-vander-esch-concerns/a45fktj/

I also think Jessie Bates will be available in round 2...

Round 3? I'm not sure...

Final Mock for Ray Fittipaldo of the Post-Gazette:

1. ILB Rashaan Evans of Alabama

2. S Jessie Bates of Wake Forest

3. WR Dante Pettis of Washington

5a. DL P.J. Hall of Sam Houston State

5b. RB Akrum Wadley of Iowa

7a. ILB Joel Iyiegbuniwe of Western Kentucky

7b. OL Jordan Mailata of IMG Academy

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2018/4/21/17258464/2018-nfl-mock-draft-steelers-bring-in-tremendous-haul-on-day-1-and-2-of-nfl-draft-rashaan-evans-news

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
04-23-2018, 12:03 PM
Yeah...NICE! I would be pleased.

Rashaan Evans Tweeted a little while ago...

"Could care less about what number I go...I want to be part of a great team with a great atmosphere. I want Super Bowl Rings."

Northern_Blitz
04-23-2018, 12:24 PM
Cutting Haden and counting on a rookie to be as good would be plain stupid. That's why I can't ever see it happening...Colbert doesn't do dumb things like that. They would try to restructure Haden's contract first.

This.

What are they using the cap room for? They say that we'd do it to sign Bell, but I think that Bell's tag number is already on the books. And if he signs a long term deal, his cap hit for this year will certainly be less than the tag number due to bonuses and the like.

I think we still need some money to sign rookies, but I imagine that we'll cut Wilcox or something to get that room instead of getting rid of our best corner.

Steel Maniac
04-23-2018, 12:24 PM
Yeah...NICE! I would be pleased.

Rashaan Evans Tweeted a little while ago...

"Could care less about what number I go...I want to be part of a great team with a great atmosphere. I want Super Bowl Rings."

I'm feeling more comfortable with the Evans pick. I've always liked Bates. But I don't want to take a WR in round 3.

Sager
04-23-2018, 12:32 PM
So refreshing to actually see a player use Twitter to make me like them for a change.

Evans at 1.28 and use our 3rd yo trade up in the 2nd to grab Harrison at strong safety.

RuthlessBurgher
04-23-2018, 12:39 PM
So refreshing to actually see a player use Twitter to make me like them for a change.

Evans at 1.28 and use our 3rd yo trade up in the 2nd to grab Harrison at strong safety.

Interesting to load up on a couple of Crimson Tide defensive players, especially since I believe that the last Alabama player we drafted was Deshea Townsend back in the 90's. Our new DL coach Karl Dunbar coached in Tuscaloosa last year so he should be able to vouch for their football character. For what it's worth, our 3rd round pick should allow us to move from late round 2 into mid round 2 (maybe move up 12-15 spots in round 2).

Steel Maniac
04-23-2018, 04:02 PM
Don't toy with my emotions Ruth.... :smile: