PDA

View Full Version : Bell Fighting a Tough Battle

NorthCoast
04-13-2018, 09:40 PM
Seems the Steelers are not the only team regarding the RB position with less value:

Check out what Joel Corry at cbssports.com put together:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/agents-take-will-leveon-bell-save-the-rb-market-or-is-he-overplaying-his-hand/?irgwc=1

And this isn't a recent thing. It's been a decline for 5 yrs running!

bottomline, teams believe RBs can be easily replaced with cheaper alternatives. it doesn't look like Bell alone will be able reverse the trend.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
04-13-2018, 11:44 PM
Seems the Steelers are not the only team regarding the RB position with less value:

Check out what Joel Corry at cbssports.com put together:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/agents-take-will-leveon-bell-save-the-rb-market-or-is-he-overplaying-his-hand/?irgwc=1

And this isn't a recent thing. It's been a decline for 5 yrs running!

bottomline, teams believe RBs can be easily replaced with cheaper alternatives. it doesn't look like Bell alone will be able reverse the trend.

Wow, Barkley for Bell trade with Stains.

Slapstick
04-13-2018, 11:52 PM
I wouldn’t give Bell and #28 for #4 and the chance to get Barkley...no thank you...

However, if Derrius Guice happens to be the best player available at #28, then I hope the Steelers take him...in the draft, I generally prefer taking the better player over filling a perceived need...

SteelBucks
04-14-2018, 09:01 AM
Wow, Barkley for Bell trade with Stains.

I’d do that sign and trade deal in a heartbeat.

Captain Lemming
04-14-2018, 09:33 AM

As would I. And the Browns HAVE a ridiculous amount of cap space to pay Bell.

You might ask, "why make a division rival better? Fact is money spent to pay a back means less to spend elsewhere. The Browns would be smarter to draft Barkley themselves.

Overpaying elite "skill" players keeps teams down in today's NFL. Ever since the Rams of it has not worked.

feltdizz
04-14-2018, 10:23 AM
I wouldn’t give Bell and #28 for #4 and the chance to get Barkley...no thank you...

However, if Derrius Guice happens to be the best player available at #28, then I hope the Steelers take him...in the draft, I generally prefer taking the better player over filling a perceived need...

Not sure why people keep talking about trading Bell for Barkley. It’s not happening. It’s the dumbest idea I have ever heard and people continue to entertain it because the draft can’t get here soon enough.

Slapstick
04-14-2018, 12:53 PM
Not sure why people keep talking about trading Bell for Barkley. It’s not happening. It’s the dumbest idea I have ever heard and people continue to entertain it because the draft can’t get here soon enough.

I agree...I was merely saying that I believe the Steelers should draft the best player available...if it is Guice, then so be it...if it is a potential franchise QB, then so be it...if it is Rashaan Evans, Leighton Vander Esch, or Justin Reid, then so be it...

MeetJoeGreene
04-14-2018, 01:35 PM

Me too!!!!!!!!

Disco1981
04-14-2018, 02:04 PM

I mean...It is the Browns we're talking about ��

Rara
04-14-2018, 03:20 PM

I competely agree on this.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
04-14-2018, 05:40 PM

Dogmatic hyperbole much, dude?

Why not give folks a chance to post without jumping all over them, "LOL".

feltdizz
04-14-2018, 09:01 PM

They have been posting about it for months. I’m not even talking about on here. I’ve seen it countless times in every Bell comments section on Post Gazette.

..and I’m not stopping anyone from posting about it. Just think it’s a seriously flawed idea.

There was a mock draft with us taking Josh Allen at 28 a few months ago. While anything is possible, I think some ideas are so far outside the realm of reality it’s hilarious to entertain them.

Steel Maniac
04-14-2018, 10:31 PM

Anytime you say anything about Bell, Feltz and Slap attack with the insults. Except when the administrator says it; then they roll back because of fear of being banned.

That’s why their on so many people’s ignore list. Including mine.

pittpete
04-14-2018, 11:13 PM
They did the same thing with Mike Mitchell during the season.
Just need to take anything they say with a grain of salt.
It sucks though that people keep qouoting him and i have to see it.
I wish there was an ignore quote button also...LOL

Slapstick
04-14-2018, 11:25 PM
Anytime you say anything about Bell, Feltz and Slap attack with the insults. Except when the administrator says it; then they roll back because of fear of being banned.

I’m not insulting you even now, when you’re talking $#!+ about me and just flat out posting things that are not true...

Put me on your ignore list and then continue to talk about me...that’s mature...:rolleyes:

feltdizz
04-15-2018, 08:08 AM
I’m not insulting you even now, when you’re talking $#!+ about me and just flat out posting things that are not true...

Put me on your ignore list and then continue to talk about me...that’s mature...:rolleyes:

snowflakes. They post insults and criticism of the team and get in their feelings when challenged.

Steal put me on ignore because he said Dobbs wasn’t a running QB in college :p

I posted Dobbs stats and highlight reel and he had been on the run ever since.

and lmao at Pete saying to take it with a grain of salt yet he can’t stop posting about people he claims to have on ignore.

Ernie
04-15-2018, 10:05 AM

No question Feltz is Bell's biggest fan. He's spent countless hours on here... defending Bell (signing long term deal, etc.). This is fine by me. It's his opinion, and he makes some solid points. Slap, however, from what I've seen... not so much. Ive read several posts of his in which he seemingly is okay with letting Bell go if it comes to that.

Slapstick
04-15-2018, 10:26 AM
No question Feltz is Bell's biggest fan. He's spent countless hours on here... defending Bell (signing long term deal, etc.). This is fine by me. It's his opinion, and he makes some solid points. Slap, however, from what I've seen... not so much. Ive read several posts of his in which he seemingly is okay with letting Bell go if it comes to that.

Yep. No problem with the team doing what is best for the team....nor with Bell doing what is best for Bell...I just don’t think Bell will get the deal he’s looking for...and if he does, I think the team who signs him to that deal will come to regret it...

But, you would know this because you actually read what people post instead of making incorrect assumptions and telling lies...

SanAntonioSteelerFan
04-15-2018, 10:37 AM
I don't think I have anyone on ignore, I just don't like to see people bullied because they have different opinions. "Stupidest idea I have ever heard"-type stuff.

There's enough of that kind of thinking out in the real world (news, current affairs, etc.), it'd be great if we could keep it civil and respectful here.

squidkid
04-15-2018, 02:18 PM

whats better yet is they lobby for me to get banned because they dont like my opinions and then have a 2 day rant abouit my fandom........

Slapstick
04-15-2018, 02:25 PM
None of that has ever happened...kind of like “everyone on the board calling every draft pick ‘the steal of the draft’”....

Talk about dogmatic hyperbole...combined with a persecution complex...

squidkid
04-15-2018, 02:28 PM
lol.............just because you two keep saying that doesnt mean it didnt happen

Slapstick
04-15-2018, 02:34 PM
But, I’m sure that everyone on the board is grateful for this glimpse into your fantasy world...

papillon
04-15-2018, 06:26 PM
Someone needs to explain to me how trading Bell for Cleveland's 1.4 pick is flawed.

1) You have a team in desperate need of an upgrade everywhere, so signing a proven commodity (all-pro at that) seems prudent
2) The Steelers need an upgrade desperately at ILB, safety or CB, the 4th pick should be able to secure them a near "can't miss" prospect.
3) The Browns have cap space to sign Bell
4) The Steelers save money, sign a highly rated draft pick, and have money left over to spend elsewhere

Now, I realize it isn't happening, because trades just don't happen in the NFL that often, but I don't see the flaw in this for either team, should the Steelers and Browns come to a sign and trade deal.

Pappy

Slapstick
04-15-2018, 07:21 PM
Someone needs to explain to me how trading Bell for Cleveland's 1.4 pick is flawed.

1) You have a team in desperate need of an upgrade everywhere, so signing a proven commodity (all-pro at that) seems prudent
2) The Steelers need an upgrade desperately at ILB, safety or CB, the 4th pick should be able to secure them a near "can't miss" prospect.
4) The Steelers save money, sign a highly rated draft pick, and have money left over to spend elsewhere

Now, I realize it isn't happening, because trades just don't happen in the NFL that often, but I don't see the flaw in this for either team, should the Steelers and Browns come to a sign and trade deal.

Pappy

Oh, I would absolutely trade Bell for Cleveland’s #4 pick, straight up...what I would not do is trade both Bell and our first round pick for Cleveland’s #4...

squidkid
04-15-2018, 08:14 PM
But, I’m sure that everyone on the board is grateful for this glimpse into your fantasy world...

just like most 'fans' will claim that the steelers draft BPA regardless and every other team drafts for need(i guess it makes them feel special saying that)
and 2
after the steelers draft a player, the 'fans' will then proclaim that the player was the pba available and just happened to be on top of their draft board wish list.
and 3
when the steelers over draft a player and the concensus says that it is a reach, the 'fans' will say they got drafted exactly where they should have........

Slapstick
04-15-2018, 09:45 PM
Yeah, that doesn’t happen...

Captain Lemming
04-15-2018, 09:53 PM

Pappy

Dumb move for the Browns because they are the futhest team in the league from being a contender, they are FAR better off drafting Barkley than trading for Bell as Bell will be over the hill before the Browns do any damage.
But they ARE the Browns.......so you never know. :)

Captain Lemming
04-15-2018, 10:04 PM

Slappy has in fact been arguing AGAINST paying Bell for quite awhile. Which is why "ignore lists" are just silly.
Dude I am non your side on the Bell debate (as is Slappy who has been debating Dizz on it) but ignore lists are just weak my brother because you would KNOW Slappy aint defending Bell as you assert.
Put someone on ignore? You may as well wave a white flag of surrender, THAT is how I would take it if somebody put me on ignore. I would suggest they cant handle me in a debate.

It looks like you have taken Slappy off ignore. Good.

Dude YOU have the facts on the Bell debate, go toe to toe with the opposing view!!!

Steel Maniac
04-15-2018, 10:49 PM
Slappy has in fact been arguing AGAINST paying Bell for quite awhile. Which is why "ignore lists" are just silly.
Dude I am non your side on the Bell debate (as is Slappy who has been debating Dizz on it) but ignore lists are just weak my brother because you would KNOW Slappy aint defending Bell as you assert.
Put someone on ignore? You may as well wave a white flag of surrender, THAT is how I would take it if somebody put me on ignore. I would suggest they cant handle me in a debate.

It looks like you have taken Slappy off ignore. Good.

Dude YOU have the facts on the Bell debate, go toe to toe with the opposing view!!!

I understand how you feel cap... and I respectfully disagree. For me, when I put someone on ignore, for me it means I don’t care what that person really has to say because they bring no value. It’s that simple. All that other stuff you were putting in it are nothing but assumptions.

Slapstick
04-16-2018, 05:42 AM
I understand how you feel cap... and I respectfully disagree. For me, when I put someone on ignore, for me it means I don’t care what that person really has to say because they bring no value. It’s that simple. All that other stuff you were putting in it are nothing but assumptions.

Then why continue to bring my name up in your posts?

It’s weird...acting like a jilted ex-girlfriend or something...

feltdizz
04-16-2018, 06:11 AM
Then why continue to bring my name up in your posts?

It’s weird...acting like a jilted ex-girlfriend or something...

Exactly, every other post is “Slap and Feltz”

The obsession is real.

Slapstick
04-16-2018, 06:18 AM

The obsession is real.

It’s like my grandfather used to say, “Back in the Great Depression, when we put someone on the ignore list on our internet message boards, it’s because we wanted to actually ignore them!!!”

I might be paraphrasing a little...

Sword
04-16-2018, 08:47 AM
I would do a straight up trade for #4 for Bell in a heart beat but, like others that will not happen!

feltdizz
04-16-2018, 09:24 AM
I would do a straight up trade for #4 for Bell in a heart beat but, like others that will not happen!

some want to trade Bell AND the 28th pick.

I don't think either are realistic but some want to entertain it.

Northern_Blitz
04-16-2018, 09:40 AM
some want to trade Bell AND the 28th pick.

I don't think either are realistic but some want to entertain it.

This.

It would be great if we could make that trade.

But, I think that Felt is right on the money here. I don't think there's any way Cleveland does that trade.

1) They give up the chance to take a transformation player that early in the draft. Bell is great, but as shown in many posts around here it's likely that his next 4 years won't be as impactful as his last 4 years. So, from CLE's perspective they would be moving way back in the draft for a depreciating asset. They would also be taking on a player who is likely to underperform his contract (even if Bell is awesome, the number is very large) for a player who is likely to outperform his contract (since rookie contracts are capped). They would also be giving up cost control on that player because they can have him for 5 years on the rookie deal and then tag him for 2 years like we've done with Bell. As a football trade, I think it would be a really bad deal for CLE because the 4th pick should be an awesome player.

2) Bell is a great player who is probably going to decline in the next 4 years. I would maybe want to trade for him if I was a team with a closing window. He can come in an do well now, but will likely not be as good in 3-4 years (I think that's why it's not the end of the world if he signs the long term deal with us). I don't think it makes any sense for CLE who are probably still going to need a few years of striving to be better for their young guys to grow together. I think that taking a great young player at #4 fits better with their potential window than bringing in Bell which is a "win now" kind of move.

3) Even if they thought it was a good football trade, most teams won't do big trades in their division. I think that GMs often make decisions based on what gives them the least chance of getting fired. If they made that trade and Bell gets hurt (or declines quickly). They might forgive a new GM an issue like that if they are making their own pick at #4 (especially if #1 works out). But, they would be rioting if Bell isn't worth the trade and they give the Steelers a player that haunts them for the next 5-10 years.

4) Even if it's a good football trade and the GMs are not afraid of trading in the division, the would still need Bell to sign the tag. Not signing the tag until the last possible minute gives him the most leverage in negotiations for a long term deal. It also makes it so he can't be traded. My guess is that Bell wouldn't want to be traded (especially not to CLE), so I don't think he signs the deal.

In short. I think that Felt is right on the money here. I don't think that there is any way that this kind of trade happens.

feltdizz
04-16-2018, 10:26 AM
Cleveland is probably going to start Tyrod Taylor and let the young QB sit for half a year. Why the hell would they give up the 4th pick in the draft to get Bell when they can get Barkley or another Pro Bowl caliber player for 5 years on the cheap?

It's not like Cleveland is on a SB run this year.

Imagine us giving up Bell and getting a beast at #4. What team in our division is going to give us the #4 pick? I know it's the Browns but come on. I can't think of any other scenario where a team gave a rival their #4 pick.

SteelerMaine83
04-16-2018, 11:06 AM
How about we swap Bell, #28 and our #2 for #4 and their #2 (which is almost a 1st, really). Pick up Barkley and Reid.

Never happen, but I do wonder what kind of throw ins would make it happen. Remember when Ditka traded his whole draft to get Ricky Williams....

feltdizz
04-16-2018, 11:20 AM
How about we swap Bell, #28 and our #2 for #4 and their #2 (which is almost a 1st, really). Pick up Barkley and Reid.

Never happen, but I do wonder what kind of throw ins would make it happen. Remember when Ditka traded his whole draft to get Ricky Williams....

and then posed with Ricky Williams in a wedding dress

and then it all fell apart.

Terrible trade

SteelerMaine83
04-16-2018, 11:46 AM
[QUOTE=feltdizz;724400]and then posed with Ricky Williams in a wedding dress

Yes, yes it did. Just making the case that there is always a dumb team looking to make a bad trade--Herschel Walker and the Dal-Minn trade, almost anything the Raiders have done in the past 15 years---how about the Redskins...Bell is still attractive enough to bring some stupid offers that could benefit us. :-)

Northern_Blitz
04-16-2018, 12:13 PM
[QUOTE=feltdizz;724400]and then posed with Ricky Williams in a wedding dress

Yes, yes it did. Just making the case that there is always a dumb team looking to make a bad trade--Herschel Walker and the Dal-Minn trade, almost anything the Raiders have done in the past 15 years---how about the Redskins...Bell is still attractive enough to bring some stupid offers that could benefit us. :-)

I'd probably argue that the team making a big move up is usually the dumb team. If I were sitting on the 4th OA pick, I'd only trade it if the other team was willing to make a significant over payment.

Slapstick
04-16-2018, 12:16 PM
I don’t think there are “always” teams that make stupid, lopsided trades...the reason that those trades were so memorable is precisely because they were stupid and lopsided to the extreme...

I don’t think there are that many outright stupid teams...some of them are undoubtedly mismanaged, but fall short of the level of incompetence required to make such a trade...

squidkid
04-16-2018, 05:38 PM

The obsession is real.

geez, i wonder why

feltdizz
04-16-2018, 06:46 PM
geez, i wonder why
Probably because we are fans of the team.

Gasp*

NorthCoast
04-16-2018, 07:29 PM
my gawd, the draft can't get here soon enough......started with what I thought was good fodder for debate and ended with 'so and so is an idiot' and 'put him on ignore'..........:-(

feltdizz
04-17-2018, 10:36 AM
my gawd, the draft can't get here soon enough......started with what I thought was good fodder for debate and ended with 'so and so is an idiot' and 'put him on ignore'..........:-(

you can only be against Bell or you are an idiot or Bell worshiper.

squidkid
04-17-2018, 03:44 PM
you can only be against Bell or you are an idiot or Bell worshiper.

whew, we finally agree on something..........

feltdizz
04-18-2018, 09:59 AM
whew, we finally agree on something..........
Oh snap... lol.