PDA

View Full Version : Jarvis Landry Reportedly Signs...

Slapstick
04-12-2018, 11:20 AM
A five year, $75.5 million contract extension with the Browns. $47 million in guarantees.

What.

The.

£¥€<.

Eddie Spaghetti
04-12-2018, 11:28 AM
I'm sure someone will equate those figures to the LB situation when it has no bearing whatsoever

it pays to be a WR in today's NFL

Oviedo
04-12-2018, 12:07 PM
A five year, $75.5 million contract extension with the Browns. $47 million in guarantees.

What.

The.

£¥€<.

Kinda puts new light on the "bad guy" rep that Bell is getting. Seems to be what the market says an elite player should get

feltdizz
04-12-2018, 12:10 PM

What.

The.

£¥€<.

CBA is set up to reward players on their second contract. That's insane money IMO. Dude is good but he isn't THAT good.

feltdizz
04-12-2018, 12:11 PM
Kinda puts new light on the "bad guy" rep that Bell is getting. Seems to be what the market says an elite player should get

when you get tagged, the team is telling everyone you are worth X amount of dollars. It's not greed or being a bad guy, it's just business. There is money to be made if you are an elite player

Slapstick
04-12-2018, 12:29 PM
CBA is set up to reward players on their second contract. That's insane money IMO. Dude is good but he isn't THAT good.

No. No he is not.

Steel Maniac
04-12-2018, 01:48 PM

Good organizations don't let bad ones ( The Browns) dictate to them what to pay players. He's a slot receiver. Nuff said.

feltdizz
04-12-2018, 02:04 PM
how the hell does one come to that conclusion from reading Ovi's statement?

Northern_Blitz
04-12-2018, 02:53 PM
Seems like a bad gamble.

I guess the flip side is that Cleveland probably expects that they will have a very young team in the short / medium term because they have so many high picks (6 in the first three rounds). With a bad team and so many high picks, it's not impossible that 4-6 of those are starting for a few years on that team. If they have that many guys underpaid on rookie contracts, it might not kill them to overpay some of their other players like this.

feltdizz
04-12-2018, 03:14 PM
Seems like a bad gamble.

I guess the flip side is that Cleveland probably expects that they will have a very young team in the short / medium term because they have so many high picks (6 in the first three rounds). With a bad team and so many high picks, it's not impossible that 4-6 of those are starting for a few years on that team. If they have that many guys underpaid on rookie contracts, it might not kill them to overpay some of their other players like this.

Remember when Sam Bradford signed for 78 million (50 guaranteed) BEFORE taking his first snap for the Rams?

Next year Andrew Luck was drafted first and signed for 22 mill.

The new rules reward production in the NFL and not in college. I like it, still doesn't mean teams won't get stupid and give average guys big money.

..and I don't think Landry is average but he isn't worth 15 mill.. at least I thought he wasn't before the Browns.

squidkid
04-12-2018, 04:44 PM
lol............thats why they are cleveland.
and some what to use that as a reason to mortgage the future for bell.

feltdizz
04-12-2018, 07:23 PM
lol............thats why they are cleveland.
and some what to use that as a reason to mortgage the future for bell.

Lmao, no one is using Cleveland as an example for why we should keep Bell. The argument was made long before this Landry deal.

Bells production is the reason the Steelers are trying to keep him.

..and mortgaging the future? Lmao, this idea that whatever we do with Bell determines our future is a lazy argument.

NorthCoast
04-12-2018, 11:34 PM
Lmao, no one is using Cleveland as an example for why we should keep Bell. The argument was made long before this Landry deal.

Bells production is the reason the Steelers are trying to keep him.

..and mortgaging the future? Lmao, this idea that whatever we do with Bell determines our future is a lazy argument.But are the Steelers really trying to keep him? or are they resigned to just renting him for the next few years.. (interesting article on the Depot about possibly transition tagging him yet again in 2019.)

Most people that go about deciding buy vs leasing their car, go the buy route. But it's all dependent on the life expectancy of the vehicle. Bell's history doesn't give you a cushy feeling about a long life factor.

feltdizz
04-13-2018, 09:02 AM
But are the Steelers really trying to keep him? or are they resigned to just renting him for the next few years.. (interesting article on the Depot about possibly transition tagging him yet again in 2019.)

Most people that go about deciding buy vs leasing their car, go the buy route. But it's all dependent on the life expectancy of the vehicle. Bell's history doesn't give you a cushy feeling about a long life factor.

I definitely think we are trying to keep Bell. According to Jeremy Fowler we made him an offer for more than last year but Bell wants more. The gap isn't that wide but it's really up to Bell if he wants to stay here or test the market next year. I think negotiations will resume after the draft and Bell will probably sign their last offer. The draft could definitely change both parties plans though. If we find a stud at RB who drops to us and pick him up they probably move on. If not, then Bell may wait a little longer to see if he can get a little more before signing.

There is no way we tag him a third time for 23 mill or whatever the price is for a 3rd year. Now that's insane money IMO for a RB. Hell, I think it's too much for any one player on a football team.

As far as Bell's history. I don't get it. He was injured while being tackled. It happens. We've seen Ben miss time, AB miss games, Heyward, Pouncey, etc.. injuries are part of the game. Now if Bell came up gimpy in preseason and missed half the year I would see your point.

The same folks pointing at Bell's history are quick to say Conner can help carry the load WHILE he is rehabbing an ACL.

Steel Maniac
04-13-2018, 09:05 AM
But are the Steelers really trying to keep him? or are they resigned to just renting him for the next few years.. (interesting article on the Depot about possibly transition tagging him yet again in 2019.)

Well, in under two weeks, we are about to get a signal on exactly what Colbert is thinking.