PDA

View Full Version : Steelers are one of five NFL teams to visit with 6'8" 346 lbs rugby player this week

RuthlessBurgher
04-10-2018, 11:42 AM
Rugby player Jordan Mailata visiting with five teams this week

Posted by Curtis Crabtree on April 9, 2018, 11:29 PM EDT

After an impressive workout in front of scouts in Florida at the end of March, rugby player Jordan Mailata is now visiting with a handful of NFL teams as the draft approaches.

The 21-year old Australian National Rugby League player has five visits set up this week, according to Gil Brandt of NFL.com. After visiting the Washington Redskins on Monday, Mailata will visit the Pittsburgh Steelers, Philadelphia Eagles, Cleveland Browns and Los Angeles Chargers through the rest of the week.

The 6-foot-8, 346-pound Mailata is viewed as a possible offensive tackle by scouts though he’s never played a down of American football.

“I’m quite surprised at how much interest I’ve sparked up in the last couple of months. Being from out of the sport and not really knowing much about it I’m pretty privileged and honored to receive invites to the clubs so cheerios to them,” Mailata said in an interview with the NFL Network.

For an athlete of Mailata’s size, his agility numbers left a strong impression with scouts during workouts recently. He ran a 5.12-second 40-yard dash and had a 4.67-second short shuttle time. He’s been training as an offensive lineman since deciding to make the transition.

The NRL is the same league former San Francisco 49ers running back Jarryd Hayne played in before coming to the NFL. Mailata is now trying to make the same jump, though in a substantially different discipline.

“I think it’s more just to challenge myself,” he said. “Being only 21 now, I’m still young and want to make a name for myself and see what I can do so, yeah, why not challenge myself and see what happens.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/04/09/rugby-player-jordan-mailata-visiting-with-five-teams-this-week/

Eich
04-10-2018, 11:55 AM
That's a big dude! I'd rather see him on defense.

Northern_Blitz
04-10-2018, 11:58 AM
This seems like this may be the hardest position switch for a Rugby player (outside of QB). Running and tackling aren't that different. WR would probably be hard because catching in the NFL isn't much like catching in Rugby (normal play or line outs).

I never played organized football (I did play Rugby though). This feels like it would be a difficult switch to make...but who knows.

I'd imagine that the blocking technique / holding rules / hand play are much different for O-lineman when compared to scrums, rucks, and mauls.

My guess is that he'd get a bunch of holding calls (at least initially) and that the timing of the plays might be tricky. Seems like DL might be easier to learn than OT because attacking the line seems like it would be easier than defending it (usually DL don't hold).

Shawn
04-10-2018, 01:13 PM
Yes, this appears to be a guy who may be a 3 down guy...able to hold point as a 0 technique, or move up and down in gaps. Sounds like D might be a better fit. I wonder if I can find any rugby tape on this guy to see how he moves.

Shawn
04-10-2018, 01:19 PM
OK OK...just found some youtube footage on this guy. Normally, I'm not about making judgments from highlights but dayeeeeeeeuuum. I'm convinced this guy could play short yardage running back...goal line day one...FB, DT, DE. I think OT would be a waste and might take him years to learn. Let him do what he does best...put the ball in his hands and let him run over people. If I were to predict, I think a team falls in love with his potential and takes him by the third.

RuthlessBurgher
04-10-2018, 02:03 PM
Steelers meeting with former rugby star Jordan Mailata on Tues.

Jordan Mailata is looking to play offensive tackle at the NFL level.

Bryan DeArdo - 14 hours ago

Former rugby star Jordan Mailata will meet with the Pittsburgh Steelers on Tuesday. Mailata, who met with the Washington Redskins on Monday, has also spoken about meeting with the Philadelphia Eagles, Cleveland Browns, Los Angeles Chargers and the Atlanta Falcons.

Mailata, 21, a mountain of a man at 6'8 and 346 pounds, is looking to play offensive tackle at the NFL level. He spoke with NFL Network on Monday night before heading to Pittsburgh to meet with the Steelers.

He’s never played a down of American football, but former Australian rugby player Jordan Mailata is trying to make the transition to the NFL.

His story on #UpToTheMinute ?? pic.twitter.com/iFkiwT9q71
— NFL Network (@nflnetwork) April 9, 2018

“I’m quite surprised at how much interest I’ve sparked up in the past couple of months," said Mailata, a former forward for South Syndey Rabbitohs, Australian rugby league team based in Redfern, a suburb of inner-southern Sydney, New South Wales. "Being out of the sport and not knowing that much about it. I’m pretty privileged and honored to receive invites to the clubs, so cheerios to them. Being out of the sport and not knowing that much about it. I’m pretty privileged and honored to receive invites to the clubs, so cheerios to them."

Mailata, who took part in the University of Florida's Pro Day, discussed the transition from rugby to football.

"It’s very different ... (but) I'm loving the transition and love learning the game," he said. "It’s been great so far.”

Mailata was also asked why he's giving professional football a try after already making his niche in rugby.

“I think it’s more of challenging myself," he said. "Being only 21 now, I’m still young and I wanna make a name for myself and see what I can do and see what happens.”

The Steelers signed three offensive lineman on Monday, as Pittsburgh looks to add depth to a unit that lost Chris Hubbard -- the team's best backup lineman -- to the Browns earlier this offseason. And while they boast arguably the best offensive line in football, three of the team's starting five linemen will be 30 years old or older three games into the 2018 season. Marcus Gilbert turned 30 in February, Alejandro Villanueva will turn 30 in September. Ramon Foster is 32 years old and is entering the final year of his current contract. Maurkice Pouncey will turn 29 this summer, while David DeCastro is the youngster of the ground having turned 28 earlier this offseason.

Given the team's other needs, it looks like Pittsburgh's game plan is to find future additions to their offensive line in free agency while spending their draft picks to strengthen other parts of the team. That game plan worked out with Villanueva, Foster, and backup linemen B.J. Finney, former undrafted free agents that were claimed by the Steelers. Pittsburgh hopes they can do it again this offseason while strengthening their offensive line heading into the 2018 season.

https://247sports.com/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/Bolt/Steelers-meeting-with-former-rugby-star-Jordan-Mailata-on-Tues-117183942

RuthlessBurgher
04-10-2018, 02:11 PM
I think he could be a beast as a forward run blocker rather quickly, but dropping back into a pass blocking stance would be a huge transition for him for sure. One huge thing we have going for us is that Mike Munchak is likely the best in the world at molding someone with remarkable traits into a formidable o-lineman, and this would be a heck of a piece of clay for him to work with. Another plus would be that we already have an Aussie on the team in Jordan Berry.

Sword
04-10-2018, 02:35 PM
good god I saw his video highlights.....sign this dude now....he is a truck.....

Shawn
04-10-2018, 03:01 PM
good god I saw his video highlights.....sign this dude now....he is a truck.....

Pfft...I'm pretty sure I could tackle him.

Well with a Ford F-150.

RuthlessBurgher
04-10-2018, 03:11 PM

Well with a Ford F-150.

I dunno...it might take an F-350 at least. ;)

Slapstick
04-10-2018, 03:17 PM
I dunno...it might take an F-350 at least. ;)

Yeah, if you aren't required to put diesel in it, it would probably just bounce off this guy...

RuthlessBurgher
04-10-2018, 03:22 PM
It's definitely the offseason when player evaluations involve pickup trucks and pasta dishes. ;)

Disco1981
04-10-2018, 04:59 PM
My younger brothers former college football coach has been working with him on the nuances of the position...He sent me a pic...What a Monster!

Disco1981
04-10-2018, 05:02 PM
http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/13520324-74/australian-rugby-player-jordan-mailata-says-hes-visiting-with-steelers

NorthCoast
04-10-2018, 07:42 PM
Yowza... that forearm shot at 2:20 was nasty... and the body slam was shades of J Harrison on that CLE fan. I like his footwork.

fordfixer
04-10-2018, 09:03 PM

Well with a Ford F-150.
You would have to go with an older one I’m not sure the newer aluminum ones could stand up too the punishment

pittpete
04-10-2018, 09:44 PM
I don't know if we can afford him...
He says he wants to set the mark for rugby players and is asking 17 million per year.:p

SanAntonioSteelerFan
04-11-2018, 12:39 AM
http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/13520324-74/australian-rugby-player-jordan-mailata-says-hes-visiting-with-steelers

squidkid
04-11-2018, 12:56 AM
looks like a ball hog to me

Ernie
04-11-2018, 07:28 AM
Id say the best place to stick this guy is NT or DE.

Steel Maniac
04-11-2018, 08:29 AM
If he has any smarts , he comes to us and stops fooling around. :cool:

Eich
04-11-2018, 08:44 AM
Id say the best place to stick this guy is NT or DE.

That's what I was thinking/hoping!

Shawn
04-11-2018, 09:58 AM
Id say the best place to stick this guy is NT or DE. I agree. Not using that beastly athleticism and bull strength on the DL would be a waste of his skill set. I would also consider using him as a goal line RB.

Iron City Inc.
04-11-2018, 11:10 AM
So where will a prospect like this get drafted?

Shawn
04-11-2018, 11:20 AM
So where will a prospect like this get drafted? Now thats the question du jour. I think someone takes a chance on him by the end of round 3 believe it or not. Could be wrong but that kind of size and athleticism is very very rare.

pittpete
04-11-2018, 03:59 PM
Possibly our future RT?

Ernie
04-11-2018, 04:01 PM
I agree. Not using that beastly athleticism and bull strength on the DL would be a waste of his skill set. I would also consider using him as a goal line RB.

Yep... A freak athlete like that... teach him a few moves and unleash hell with him. For some reason I keep thinking Haloti Ngata from Baltimore. Wasn't he a converted rugby player?

Iron City Inc.
04-11-2018, 06:45 PM
Yep... A freak athlete like that... teach him a few moves and unleash hell with him. For some reason I keep thinking Haloti Ngata from Baltimore. Wasn't he a converted rugby player?

He played rugby in high school but established himself as a 3x All American for Oregon. So everyone kind of knew he was that talented coming out. All I'll say about this prospect is guys that big have to prove they can't play!

Ernie
04-12-2018, 06:32 AM
He played rugby in high school but established himself as a 3x All American for Oregon. So everyone kind of knew he was that talented coming out. All I'll say about this prospect is guys that big have to prove they can't play!

Yes they do. We've got a guy his size on the squad right now... not nearly as athletic... but we always seem to find a roster spot for him lol

feltdizz
04-12-2018, 08:46 AM
Now thats the question du jour. I think someone takes a chance on him by the end of round 3 believe it or not. Could be wrong but that kind of size and athleticism is very very rare.

3rd round? Whew.. that would be a reeeeeach.

This kid is a 7th rounder or undrafted IMO.

feltdizz
04-12-2018, 09:30 AM
just watched his video. I don't know.. dude is big but he didn't show me much besides being much bigger than the rest of the guys. I guess he moves well but how will he move in pads? I prefer a guy like this on the DL.

Steel Maniac
04-12-2018, 02:33 PM
Yes they do. We've got a guy his size on the squad right now... not nearly as athletic... but we always seem to find a roster spot for him lol

Hahahahahahahahaha.

Chadman
04-12-2018, 06:13 PM
Ok- to put a bit more clarity on it, from a guy in Australia, who follows Rugby League closely- a couple of things to keep in mind:

All the clips you see of him playing Rugby League are actually in the junior levels, not senior grade League. He was a very ‘promising’ Under 21’s grade league player for South Sydney- and the guys you see him beating up are not as physically developed as he was at the age. Not a knock on him at all- he can’t help his size, but just put in context, he’s not beating up on fully developed athletes there.

Unlike Jarrad Hayne who played for the 49ers. Hayne was not just playing in the senior grades, he was representing both his state & country in senior grades. It’s night & day in their stages of development.

Chadman remembers seeing a few junior grade games shown on TV featuring this guy- while he appears quite athletic, as with most guys his size, he takes a while to rumble into top gear. He’s not a quick twitch athlete at all. He is, quite obviously, big.

From what I see of him, OL looks like the best fit. His ‘get off’ as a DT would be a bit slow, so in Chadman’s eye, he’d be more a run plug NT if he switched to the DL. However, a RT or career at RG might be a better fit.

It would be a bit exciting to see 2 Aussies on the roster, TBH, but this is one raw athlete who would take some developing.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
04-12-2018, 07:43 PM
Surprised more people don't see him as a "Refrigerator Perry" type goal line RB. If nothing else, he'd open up the corner fade for MB!

Shawn
04-13-2018, 07:00 AM
Yep... A freak athlete like that... teach him a few moves and unleash hell with him. For some reason I keep thinking Haloti Ngata from Baltimore. Wasn't he a converted rugby player? I think that could be a good comparison. I think this guy would be extremely disruptive on that DL.

Steel Maniac
04-13-2018, 09:02 AM
How many passes do you think he could deflect just by getting his hands up?

Shawn
04-18-2018, 07:38 AM
Thanks for your insights Chadman and that does put some perspective on those highlight videos. Hence why highlight videos are a crap way of evaluating a players potential.