PDA

View Full Version : Draft question:

Disco1981
04-07-2018, 12:26 AM
With the draft fast approaching, I have seen a few mocks with us taking the WR Ridley...

My question is: Our most pressing needs are ILB, S...If the top 3 or 4 ILB's and top Safetys are gone

Would you rather the Steelers take the #2 WR, possibly the #2 RB ( Guice ) or even possibly...The no.1 TE

Are we strong enough to take BPA, or with Bens short window...Are we more inclined to pick for area of need, and win now mode

Looking forward to everyones opinion

Disco1981
04-07-2018, 12:47 AM
Let me be the 1st to reply lol...

Let's say the Steelers do take WR Ridlley with their 1st...Who would be an immeduate plug & play...

I would then assume the Steelers would be working the phones to possibly trade Bryant...For arguments sake, Let's say they got a 4th...

Now they would have some ammo to possibly move up in the 2nd or 3rd...If there were a ILB or S they covet

steeler_george
04-07-2018, 05:10 AM
Let me be the 1st to reply lol...

Let's say the Steelers do take WR Ridlley with their 1st...Who would be an immeduate plug & play...

I would then assume the Steelers would be working the phones to possibly trade Bryant...For arguments sake, Let's say they got a 4th...

Now they would have some ammo to possibly move up in the 2nd or 3rd...If there were a ILB or S they covet

I was thinking the exact same thing, that we draft a WR early and use Bryant in a trade. I know that Bryant has value with production, but I would only trade him for a 3rd or equal value trading up. I think Indy or Cleveland would take him trade him and our 3 to move up in the second and gain a 4th.

1 )
2a) **say Indy/Clev/Giants**
2b)
4)

I like the depth in this draft 2-4, I think we can find possible future starters there. We can even trade back to gain another pick in the 3rd.

Steel Maniac
04-07-2018, 11:34 AM
If we took Ridley, there’d be little doubt that Bryant would be on the move. And I KNOW we could get a 4th rounder for him but I’d be looking for higher then that.

pittpete
04-07-2018, 02:02 PM
I think we need to keep Bryant this year...
He should be playing for the contract of his life this year.
If he's smart enough and i say "if, his production may be off the charts.
Especially if our new OC can practice the fade inside the 10 this year...

Ernie
04-08-2018, 07:21 AM
I agree Pete... we need to keep Bryant this year. If we are going to "Rent" Bell this year for almost 15 million (clearly in WIN NOW mode)... it is a given that we keep our #3 WR for a very small fraction of that..

squidkid
04-08-2018, 12:57 PM
FYI.
the steelers draft BPA at a position of need just like every other team in the league

RuthlessBurgher
04-09-2018, 10:49 AM
I was thinking the exact same thing, that we draft a WR early and use Bryant in a trade. I know that Bryant has value with production, but I would only trade him for a 3rd or equal value trading up. I think Indy or Cleveland would take him trade him and our 3 to move up in the second and gain a 4th.

1 )
2a) **say Indy/Clev/Giants**
2b)
4)

I like the depth in this draft 2-4, I think we can find possible future starters there. We can even trade back to gain another pick in the 3rd.

Whoa...are you really suggesting that Martavis Bryant is worth a move from our pick near the end of round 3 to one of the earliest picks at the top of round 2 AND get a 4th round pick as well? Bryant himself is jealous of the potency of whatever it is that you are currently smoking, brother...

feltdizz
04-09-2018, 11:03 AM
Whoa...are you really suggesting that Martavis Bryant is worth a move from our pick near the end of round 3 to one of the earliest picks at the top of round 2 AND get a 4th round pick as well? Bryant himself is jealous of the potency of whatever it is that you are currently smoking, brother...

seriously, take 2 and pass that ish...lol

reality, where art thou?

don't get me wrong, I would love for it to happen but the chances are slim and none.

Starlifter
04-09-2018, 01:27 PM
Unless the Steelers have a hole that absolutely needs filled - I think their usual strategy is to take whom they consider is the best athlete on the board when it's their turn. Then they see how camp shakes out, who is near the line and make free agent decisions at that point.

so I don't spend a lot of time working up mocks. I believe the Steelers see some needs, but not any glaring holes and will take the best on the board - regardless of what position that is.

Iron City Inc.
04-12-2018, 06:23 PM
Unless the Steelers have a hole that absolutely needs filled - I think their usual strategy is to take whom they consider is the best athlete on the board when it's their turn. Then they see how camp shakes out, who is near the line and make free agent decisions at that point.

so I don't spend a lot of time working up mocks. I believe the Steelers see some needs, but not any glaring holes and will take the best on the board - regardless of what position that is.

I'm not sure I agree and that's okay. It's more the intersection of where need and talent intersect that drives a draft pick. So the "take the best athlete on the board " sometimes lines up and sometimes does not.
There is no real right or wrong here we're just kicking tires on theory so lets say Evans is on the board at 28 and we have him ranked as the highest ILB at that point say with a grade of 20-25 overall and a Davenport is still there clearly a OLB but say with a grade of 15-20. Two players either can help us with plenty of talent. Which selection do we make.? Again no right or wrong just a matter of where the intersection is and how good is the fit. Makes for interesting discussion.

Slapstick
04-12-2018, 08:14 PM
Starlifter’s point is that there aren’t “pressing needs” for the Steelers right now...are there positions that could be upgraded? Sure...but that’s different...

In the scenario you present, I would think that the Steelers clearly take the higher rated player...

Oviedo
04-13-2018, 11:32 AM
I'm not sure I agree and that's okay. It's more the intersection of where need and talent intersect that drives a draft pick. So the "take the best athlete on the board " sometimes lines up and sometimes does not.
There is no real right or wrong here we're just kicking tires on theory so lets say Evans is on the board at 28 and we have him ranked as the highest ILB at that point say with a grade of 20-25 overall and a Davenport is still there clearly a OLB but say with a grade of 15-20. Two players either can help us with plenty of talent. Which selection do we make.? Again no right or wrong just a matter of where the intersection is and how good is the fit. Makes for interesting discussion.

If the best two ILBs and the best two Safeties are off the board. I could see us taking Mason Rudolph or Lamar Jackson at #28 if they are available. They could easily be the BPA at that point. I wouldn't be unhappy with either because we would get a potential replacement for Ben at #28 (affordable) who we would control for 5 years as a 1st Round pick.

I don't think this happens because I think there will be a run on QBs in this draft where the top 6 are gone in the Top 20-22 picks, but if it did I'd have no issue with getting that QB. Hopefully a "panic" run on QBs pushes a guy like LVE down to us at #28

Iron City Inc.
04-13-2018, 01:30 PM
If the best two ILBs and the best two Safeties are off the board. I could see us taking Mason Rudolph or Lamar Jackson at #28 if they are available. They could easily be the BPA at that point. I wouldn't be unhappy with either because we would get a potential replacement for Ben at #28 (affordable) who we would control for 5 years as a 1st Round pick.

I don't think this happens because I think there will be a run on QBs in this draft where the top 6 are gone in the Top 20-22 picks, but if it did I'd have no issue with getting that QB. Hopefully a "panic" run on QBs pushes a guy like LVE down to us at #28
I agree the run on qb's could total 6 with Jackson & Rudolph being gone by the time we select. And like you said that may likely push down someone unexpected be it LVE or someone else unexpected. Every year someone projected early slides hell if Aaron Rogers could slip anyone could. Could be a fortunate thing for us.

phillyesq
04-13-2018, 01:36 PM

Lately, the Steelers have drafted for need quite a bit. The Burns/Davis/Hargrave draft was the most "need" centric draft I remember from the Steelers, with all 3 playing heavy roles as rookies. Last year, Watt was undeniably a need pick, but also a solid value. Same with Dupree.

There is no glaring hole this year - every position has at least a credible starter - but some positions are awfully shaky. The positions that are likely not options in the first round are DE, with both Cam and Tuitt locked up long term, center, OT and, I'd think, WR, with both AB and JuJu at least here for 3 more seasons. Corner would also surprise me - a first round pick could push Burns, but with Hilton's work in the slot, wouldn't really have a spot on the field if he didn't win a starting job.

Aside from that, the Steelers have options. I think they need an ILB and a safety in the draft, but not necessarily in the first.