PDA

View Full Version : Tomlin's not a big fan of those extended endzone "celebrations" either

SanAntonioSteelerFan
03-29-2018, 06:55 PM
www.post-gazette.com/sports/zeise-is-right/2018/03/29/mike-tomlin-end-zone-dance-touchdown-celebration-nfl-rules/stories/201803270094

I tend to agree with him, I prefer how Heath or Barry Sanders did it also - hand the ball to the official, go back to the huddle. Act like you've been there before.

Actually surprised to hear Tomlin say that ... if he feels so strongly, why doesn't he just make a team rule about it?

feltdizz
03-29-2018, 07:05 PM
www.post-gazette.com/sports/zeise-is-right/2018/03/29/mike-tomlin-end-zone-dance-touchdown-celebration-nfl-rules/stories/201803270094

I tend to agree with him, I prefer how Heath or Barry Sanders did it also - hand the ball to the official, go back to the huddle. Act like you've been there before.

Actually surprised to hear Tomlin say that ... if he feels so strongly, why doesn't he just make a team rule about it?

Probably because these are grown men playing a game.

I think it’s a silly topic. The game pretty much attracted a ton of fans due to the celebrations after TD’s back in the 70’s and 80’s.

Buzz
03-30-2018, 10:27 AM

He doesn't make a team rule about it because he doesn't really feel that strongly about it. There's a big difference between not liking them, on the one hand, and hating them because they are detrimental to the success of the team, on the other.

The game pretty much attracted a ton of fans due to the celebrations after TD's back in the 70's and 80's.
I doubt that TD celebrations is really what "attracted a ton of fans" to football. No one that I know either started watching the sport, or kept watching it, because of them. Do many fans enjoy them? Sure. But when the NFL tightened up the rules on them some years back, there was no corresponding drop in viewership. When the NFL relaxed the rules on them last season, there was no corresponding increase in viewership (not that could be discerned, anyway).

feltdizz
03-30-2018, 11:42 AM
He doesn't make a team rule about it because he doesn't really feel that strongly about it. There's a big difference between not liking them, on the one hand, and hating them because they are detrimental to the success of the team, on the other.

I doubt that TD celebrations is really what "attracted a ton of fans" to football. No one that I know either started watching the sport, or kept watching it, because of them. Do many fans enjoy them? Sure. But when the NFL tightened up the rules on them some years back, there was no corresponding drop in viewership. When the NFL relaxed the rules on them last season, there was no corresponding increase in viewership (not that could be discerned, anyway).

were you ever a kid?

think about it. If you were a kid in the 70's and 80's you never played football and had friends who did the dances or celebrated after TD's in pick up games? I guess you guys just flipped the ball and went back to the huddle every time.

I remember those NFL films with the TD celebrations and kids loved them. They were entertaining.

Not sure why some folks get so upset while watching a GAME. Folks tailgate, drink beer, act like complete insane fanatics yet as soon as the game starts they want the players to be professional and flip the ball back to the ref. LOL..

there is room for all. Some do, some don't.. not saying you have to like it but it's weird it bothers some folks so much they are yelling at players after they score.

Be happy... hell, Tomlin gets pretty animated for a coach after TD's or wins sometimes.

oh, and I think ratings were down last year or 2 and the relaxed rules for celebrations is because fans called it the No Fun League. I'm glad they figured out this is still a form of entertainment.

Shawn
03-30-2018, 12:50 PM
Football is entertainment, not a board meeting. I want to be entertained and celebrations are fun to watch. I enjoy them. Sometimes I think we complain about ish just to complain about ish,

SanAntonioSteelerFan
03-30-2018, 01:12 PM
I guess Tomlin decided to say how much he disliked these celebrations because he's bored this off season just like we are, LOL.

feltdizz
03-30-2018, 01:13 PM
Football is entertainment, not a board meeting. I want to be entertained and celebrations are fun to watch. I enjoy them. Sometimes I think we complain about ish just to complain about ish,

sometimes? lol..

I swear, of all the things wrong with the NFL the TD celebration is the LAST thing we should be talking about.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
03-30-2018, 01:28 PM
sometimes? lol..

I swear, of all the things wrong with the NFL the TD celebration is the LAST thing we should be talking about.

I hope you contacted Tomlin to tell him what you think about his comments!

Buzz
03-30-2018, 01:30 PM
were you ever a kid?

think about it. If you were a kid in the 70's and 80's you never played football and had friends who did the dances or celebrated after TD's in pick up games? I guess you guys just flipped the ball and went back to the huddle every time.

I remember those NFL films with the TD celebrations and kids loved them. They were entertaining.

Not sure why some folks get so upset while watching a GAME. Folks tailgate, drink beer, act like complete insane fanatics yet as soon as the game starts they want the players to be professional and flip the ball back to the ref. LOL..

there is room for all. Some do, some don't.. not saying you have to like it but it's weird it bothers some folks so much they are yelling at players after they score.

Be happy... hell, Tomlin gets pretty animated for a coach after TD's or wins sometimes.

oh, and I think ratings were down last year or 2 and the relaxed rules for celebrations is because fans called it the No Fun League. I'm glad they figured out this is still a form of entertainment.

Yes, I was a kid in the 70s, and we imitated the zany TD dances ... but those dances definitely WEREN'T what attracted ME to be a fan of the game or the NFL. And did I say that I was upset with the celebrations? I find some of them a little silly, but they don't really bother me. My point is that, in the overall scheme of things, they're not all that important ... to me, to most NFL fans ... or to Mike Tomlin.

feltdizz
03-30-2018, 01:33 PM
I hope you contacted Tomlin to tell him what you think about his comments!

i tried, he didn't pick up the phone

hopefully he reads this message board.

Shawn
03-30-2018, 02:59 PM
i tried, he didn't pick up the phone

hopefully he reads this message board. He only takes my calls. Sorry. But, I'll relay the message. ;)

Steel Maniac
03-30-2018, 03:34 PM

Well you know Tomlin isn't really a big fan of getting to the Super Bowl the last 8 years or so but a lot of posters don't hold that against him either so we take the TD celebration with a grain of salt too. :smile:

SanAntonioSteelerFan
03-30-2018, 03:40 PM
Well you know Tomlin isn't really a big fan of getting to the Super Bowl the last 8 years or so but a lot of posters don't hold that against him either so we take the TD celebration with a grain of salt too. :smile:

Ouch! ten characters

squidkid
03-30-2018, 05:09 PM
i thought i remember reading that tomlin didnt mind the celebrations............this was right after the celebration rule was changed

“For those that celebrate, it’s important that they err, and err on the side of caution if necessary,” said Tomlin. “I have no problem with the celebrations. JuJu’s cute and all of that, provided it doesn’t cost our football team. I think they are doing the necessary research to make sure they are within the lines. I don’t anticipate that being an issue moving forward.”

Buzz
03-30-2018, 07:58 PM
He only takes my calls. Sorry. But, I'll relay the message. ;)
While you're at it, tell him to hire an assistant to help him with clock management and in-game decisions.

Slapstick
03-30-2018, 08:48 PM

Just because “a lot of posters” don’t whine incessantly and throw temper tantrums online doesn’t mean that “a lot of posters” don’t care.:)

squidkid
04-01-2018, 08:23 AM

afcn titles are the goal............

Disco1981
04-01-2018, 10:19 AM
While you're at it, tell him to hire an assistant to help him with clock management and in-game decisions.

And pre game decisions..in game decisions...And just everything football...He can just stand there with his confused look, and let somebody else actually coach

Slapstick
04-01-2018, 10:54 AM
And pre game decisions..in game decisions...And just everything football...He can just stand there with his confused look, and let somebody else actually coach

Sure....after 100+ wins and a Super Bowl, he clearly can’t coach...:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

fordfixer
04-01-2018, 01:24 PM
Sure....after 100+ wins and a Super Bowl, he clearly can’t coach...:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
I don’t know who advise he listens to about when to throw the challenge flag but that guy needs fired

feltdizz
04-01-2018, 02:17 PM

At all..

Is it luck? Maybe the Rooney Rule also makes it easier to win games?

SanAntonioSteelerFan
04-01-2018, 03:48 PM
I don’t know who advise he listens to about when to throw the challenge flag but that guy needs fired

No kidding.

And also the guy who tells him whether to go for 1 or 2 points after a TD.

And also the guy who tells him whether to go for it or not on 4th downs.

And also the guys who draw up a "Plan B" each Sunday, for when the initial game plan isn't working.

Who *are* these guys??

:lol: :-P

Slapstick
04-01-2018, 03:52 PM
Before he hit a cold streak, Tomlin was above 50% in challenges...hopefully, he can reclaim his old form...

squidkid
04-01-2018, 04:40 PM

the more tomlin is allowed to coach and draft players the farther away from the super bowl he gets.............
funny, 10+ years in and he still isnt allowed to hire or fire and coordinators

Steel Maniac
04-01-2018, 06:06 PM
the more tomlin is allowed to coach and draft players the farther away from the super bowl he gets.............

Is this still true? If Tomlin can’t hire or fire then that is a clear indictment that he is not a real coach. Parcels, Walsh ,Gibbs, Noll,Belichick , Allen , Lombardi,all could hire & fire. If Tomlin can’t, then there is no argument anyone has to say Tomlin is a real coach. None.

Slapstick
04-01-2018, 07:00 PM
Is this still true? If Tomlin can’t hire or fire then that is a clear indictment that he is not a real coach. Parcels, Walsh ,Gibbs, Noll,Belichick , Allen , Lombardi all could hire & fire. If Tomlin can’t, then there is no argument anyone has to say Tomlin is a real coach. None.

Because every opinion that squiddy has on Tomlin is to be believed...:rolleyes:

squidkid
04-01-2018, 07:19 PM
Because every opinion that squiddy has on Tomlin is to be believed...:rolleyes:

pretty simple slappy, tell me who has he hired or fired then?

squidkid
04-01-2018, 07:21 PM
Is this still true? If Tomlin can’t hire or fire then that is a clear indictment that he is not a real coach. Parcels, Walsh ,Gibbs, Noll,Belichick , Allen , Lombardi,all could hire & fire. If Tomlin can’t, then there is no argument anyone has to say Tomlin is a real coach. None.

everyone has been in house(promised the job years ago, or a family friend of the rooneys)
everyone that cried about the hiring of haley said it was because of the pittsburgh ties

Steel Maniac
04-01-2018, 07:22 PM

I know he had to wait and get permission to hire Haley. And to dismiss LaBeau.

Slapstick
04-01-2018, 11:37 PM
Suuuuuuuuure he did...:rolleyes:

Captain Lemming
04-02-2018, 12:50 AM

We can make stuff up or we can see what those in the know have actually said.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/steelers-say-mike-tomlin-made-decision-to-fire-still-upset-bruce-arians/

SanAntonioSteelerFan
04-02-2018, 05:49 AM

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/steelers-say-mike-tomlin-made-decision-to-fire-still-upset-bruce-arians/

To be fair, "I can't get you a contract, Bruce," is passive-sounding enough to support the idea that the decision to fire Arians wasn't Tomlin's.

feltdizz
04-02-2018, 08:34 AM

we made the AFCCG 2 years ago.

We made the SB in 2011 and then after a year or 2 we went further and further in the playoffs.

Once again, you are making stuff up.

and this whole "Tomlin can't fire and hire" is so odd. It's like you guys make up anything you can to discredit Tomlin.

What next, Tomlin rents and doesn't own his home?

Steel Maniac
04-02-2018, 10:28 AM

So it was Tomlin's decision but did he have to clear it thru Rooney/Colbert? That's what I want to know.

feltdizz
04-02-2018, 11:07 AM
To be fair, "I can't get you a contract, Bruce," is passive-sounding enough to support the idea that the decision to fire Arians wasn't Tomlin's.

I mean.. it's a franchise. I think the "Tomlin can't hire or fire" is pretty silly.

Not sure why it matters how much "power" Tomlin has...

The Steelers have always been a tight knit FO so even if Tomlin fired or hired someone I would expect him to talk to the FO about it.

He doesn't own the team.

RuthlessBurgher
04-02-2018, 11:23 AM

JUST THIS OFFSEASON....

Tomlin hired Randy Fichtner to be his new offensive coordinator after Todd Haley's contract expired and was not renewed,

Tomlin hired Karl Dunbar to be his defensive line coach after John Mitchell's duties were re-assigned to be include more player development/community relations/former player outreach duties as opposed to on-field coaching duties.

Tomlin hired Tom Bradley to be his defensive backs coach after Carnell Lake opted to move back to California to be a part of his youngest son's final year of high school football.

Tomlin hired Darryl Drake to his his wide receivers coach after Richard Mann retired.

I'm sure that Tomlin had zero input in any of these coaching hires, right?

Iron Shiek
04-02-2018, 11:32 AM
JUST THIS OFFSEASON....

Tomlin hired Randy Fichtner to be his new offensive coordinator after Todd Haley's contract expired and was not renewed,

Tomlin hired Karl Dunbar to be his defensive line coach after John Mitchell's duties were re-assigned to be include more player development/community relations/former player outreach duties as opposed to on-field coaching duties.

Tomlin hired Tom Bradley to be his defensive backs coach after Carnell Lake opted to move back to California to be a part of his youngest son's final year of high school football.

Tomlin hired Darryl Drake to his his wide receivers coach after Richard Mann retired.

But you don't get it Ruthless, he had to get permission from his masters to hire all of these guys and most of them are all internal guys that were on the staff from 5 years ago...when he was still the coach.

This thread has gotten completely ridiculous...you idiots act like you are in the office while these decisions are being made. you are given proof (arians article/quotes) but manage to spin it still. Who the eff cares. Its a business. I'm a manager, i can fire and hire people, but I'm still going to clear it with people above my paygrade. Its how BUSINESS works. Freakin amateurs here...

Gotta read an FAQ on muting...need some help here guys.

feltdizz
04-02-2018, 11:38 AM
JUST THIS OFFSEASON....

FAAAAAKE NEWWWWS

Tomlin didn't do that.

Were are the receipts? The phone records? The pink slip with his signature on it?

Steel Maniac
04-02-2018, 12:18 PM
But you don't get it Ruthless, he had to get permission from his masters to hire all of these guys and most of them are all internal guys that were on the staff from 5 years ago...when he was still the coach.

This thread has gotten completely ridiculous...you idiots act like you are in the office while these decisions are being made. you are given proof (arians article/quotes) but manage to spin it still. Who the eff cares. Its a business. I'm a manager, i can fire and hire people, but I'm still going to clear it with people above my paygrade. Its how BUSINESS works. Freakin amateurs here...

Gotta read an FAQ on muting...need some help here guys.

Yeah..this has gotten hilariously ridiculous. And to be truthful, right now that's not where our focus or the front office focus needs to be.

Squid, do me a favor? Can you table the Tomlin bashing right now? Let's let him & Colbert square away the Bell situation and then get the players in place. Once he gets everything in place the way he wants, THEN if he flames out again, then by all means, have at him. I'll help you if it comes to that.

But for right now, let's get all the chess pieces in place for a Super Bowl appearance.

feltdizz
04-02-2018, 01:06 PM
lol at anyone getting Squid to stop bashing Tomlin

Slapstick
04-02-2018, 05:03 PM
Frank Reich isn’t really the HC in Indy...his DC was hired before him...

Shawn
04-02-2018, 06:16 PM

Gotta read an FAQ on muting...need some help here guys. Exactly, those in management get it. I can hire and fire my own staff but I sure as hell will check with my CEO before I do.

Slapstick
04-02-2018, 06:57 PM
Apparently, Shawn and the Iron Sheik aren’t “real managers”...:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Shawn
04-03-2018, 10:00 AM
Apparently, Shawn and the Iron Sheik aren’t “real managers”...:rolleyes::rolleyes: SHEIIT!!! Don't tell my CEO that I'm an overpaid janitor...I'll be exposed.