PDA

View Full Version : Was John Mitchell Basically Fired?

Buzz
03-28-2018, 12:34 AM
Earlier reports seemed to indicate he might still be coaching, but what Tomlin is saying now sounds more as though Mitchell's days as a football coach are over. He will be helping players (and maybe former players) with their "non-football lives".

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2018/03/john-mitchell-to-have-no-on-field-coaching-responsibilities-in-2018/

steeler_george
03-28-2018, 04:40 AM
The dude is 100 years old! He was given the title as an assistant head coach. So, in other words he is still an asset to have, but doesn't need the stress of being there for the team 24 hours, ( I think it was Mitchell's choice to "semi-retire")

Northern_Blitz
03-28-2018, 06:58 AM
This is pretty much what I thought when the announcement came out. I don't think he'll be on the field helping with clock management and the end of halves.

His experience means that he's a guy that the players have a lot of respect for. Hopefully, he can help guys with life after football. I'm sure it's a battle for a lot of players after losing their "tribe".

Slapstick
03-28-2018, 09:00 AM
I also think that Mitchell was about to retire...he had spoken about it years ago...

According to the description Tomlin gave, Mitchell was in charge of the staff while Tomlin was at the league meetings and on the road at various pro days....

He may not have “on field” responsibilities (meaning coaching players during the game, in my mind), but that doesn’t rule him out of being in the stadium and involved...

Buzz
03-28-2018, 09:32 AM
I don't think he'll be on the field helping with clock management and the end of halves.

Too bad. Tomlin could use some help there.

NorthCoast
03-30-2018, 03:24 PM
Earlier reports seemed to indicate he might still be coaching, but what Tomlin is saying now sounds more as though Mitchell's days as a football coach are over. He will be helping players (and maybe former players) with their "non-football lives".

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2018/03/john-mitchell-to-have-no-on-field-coaching-responsibilities-in-2018/Just the opposite. Mitchell was ready to walk away but the team and Tomlin felt he still brings something of value to them and found a great role for him. People sometimes forget that a lot of these kids, yes kids, come from some very messed up situations. Having a mentor like Mitchell around could really make an impact on a person/player.

RuthlessBurgher
03-30-2018, 03:42 PM
I'm actually surprised Mitchell stayed on this long. I heard rumblings that he was considering retirement when the Aaron Smith, Casey Hampton, & Brett Keisel d-line moved on to their lives' work, but he stayed on a few extra years to get the Cam Heyward, Javon Hargrave, & Stephon Tuitt d-line a jumpstart to their careers.

Northern_Blitz
03-30-2018, 05:43 PM
Too bad. Tomlin could use some help there.

Yep. With all the money on the line in the NFL, I don't get why teams don't employ guys whose only job is to advise coaches on time management. It's something that most coaches seem to struggle with.