PDA

View Full Version : Ben and Mike

fordfixer
03-23-2018, 03:45 PM
https://www.foxsports.com/watch/the-herd-with-colin-cowherd/video/1138968643567

. Colin Cowherd offers up his opinion on Ben Roethlisbger and Mike Tomlin after the Pittsburgh Steelers were eliminated from the 2018 NFL Playoffs.

Hide Transcript
- I have this sourced. Big Ben is massively frustrated with Mike Tomlin. That was the seventh time he has called out the coaching staff-- that was the most direct.
It's not that he called out Tomlin, it's when he called him out-- on his radio show, after he had read, or heard, Tomlin under attack. Folks, you just don't see this. You do not see Hall of Fame quarterbacks calling out their head coaches regularly.
And why is this happening? Because there's five or six bulletproof coaches in America-- you're not going to get them fired. Saban, Belichick, Coach K, you're not going to get them fired-- Tomlin's one of them.
And Ben-- I've got it sourced-- isn't happy and he saw this as a rare opportunity. He's so frustrated with the lack of discipline-- to pile on. Look at the seven times he's called him out. Rare opportunities when the fan base is mad at Tomlin. Isn't that when you'd support a coach you like? He sees him as vulnerable.
By the way, limited partners are now pushing for a new coach-- also concerned about the team's lack of discipline. Which is what Ben is telling those close to him. We're not a group of grown-ups, the Patriots are.
Listen man, if you're into somebody, you support them in crisis. If you're not into somebody, you don't. But if you want him out, you go after them at their most vulnerable point. Ben didn't clobber him after the game when he was the most emotional.

My belief-- he waited to see Tomlin get buried and piled on. If you think Big Ben and Tomlin are all tight and good-- no they are not, that was clear. He saw it as an opportunity-- an opportunity that rarely presents itself with the Rooney family-- to maybe get something done. Probably told it won't, so I imagine now, he'll go back to publicly supporting him.

Thought’s?

squidkid
03-23-2018, 03:49 PM
well, seeing that is sheds a bad light on the team, this author has zero credibility, of course when he writes something positive, then he is a tremendous journalist

RuthlessBurgher
03-23-2018, 03:58 PM
well, seeing that is sheds a bad light on the team, this author has zero credibility, of course when he writes something positive, then he is a tremendous journalist

No one has ever said Colin Cowherd was a tremendous journalist. Not even his mother. He's an attention whore. Nothing more. Will spout off any ridiculous contrarian view in order to get the clicks. He's on par with the likes of Skip Bayless or Jason Whitlock. When they talk, I change the channel.

Sugar
03-23-2018, 04:27 PM
No one has ever said Colin Cowherd was a tremendous journalist. Not even his mother. He's an attention whore. Nothing more. Will spout off any ridiculous contrarian view in order to get the clicks. He's on par with the likes of Skip Bayless or Jason Whitlock. When they talk, I change the channel.

Agreed. I just had to see it was Cowherd and I knew it would be worthless.

Oviedo
03-23-2018, 04:31 PM

Yep. Cowherd has never been known as a good journalist with good sources. He just reads the current trends and give his spin on it and sees where it goes.

He is the typical multi-media shock jock much like the worthless fat slob who covers the Pittsburgh market Mark .........

Eich
03-23-2018, 04:39 PM
Probably shock-jock crap. But at the same time, we've heard that Ben has asked Tomlin to instill more discipline before. I don't doubt that Ben wishes Tomlin forced the team to become more disciplined.

Steel Maniac
03-23-2018, 05:05 PM
Squid, I hate to say it but I agree with everyone else. Skip Bayless and Cowherd are shock guys who say anything for shock value but neither of them know anything about athletics or how atheletes think.

feltdizz
03-23-2018, 05:08 PM
The only people who like Colin Cowherd are people who like bashing a fans team.

I have never I my life met anyone who used him as a source for something positive about a player or team.

Buzz
03-23-2018, 05:16 PM
I do think Ben was maybe angling for some change, but his frustration might have been more with Haley than with Tomlin. Haley's gone now. Let's see what kind of difference that makes in how Ben responds moving forward.

squidkid
03-23-2018, 05:57 PM
Squid, I hate to say it but I agree with everyone else. Skip Bayless and Cowherd are shock guys who say anything for shock value but neither of them know anything about athletics or how atheletes think.

im not arguing that these guys arent huge douches. my point was that if one of these guys said some positive stuff, the fans on here would be posting it for everyone to see and say, 'i told you so'.
it happened when 1 source rates tomlin in the top 3 coaches and the next 1 said he was 10th. all of a sudden the first guy knows his stuff and the second one is a hack.
all that being said, numerous times ben has commented on the discipline, and this year several other players did too............i gotta believe where theres smoke, theres fire

Steel Maniac
03-23-2018, 07:32 PM
im not arguing that these guys arent huge douches. my point was that if one of these guys said some positive stuff, the fans on here would be posting it for everyone to see and say, 'i told you so'.
it happened when 1 source rates tomlin in the top 3 coaches and the next 1 said he was 10th. all of a sudden the first guy knows his stuff and the second one is a hack.
all that being said, numerous times ben has commented on the discipline, and this year several other players did too............i gotta believe where theres smoke, theres fire
your right about that Squid.

Slapstick
03-23-2018, 09:33 PM
No, he isn’t. Even when Cowherd said favorable stuff about Tomlin and the Steelers, most of us paid no attention...

SanAntonioSteelerFan
03-23-2018, 10:42 PM

It's called being a fan. I think you can youtube or google that term if you want.

feltdizz
03-23-2018, 10:53 PM
It's called being a fan. I think you can youtube or google that term if you want.

Kid complains everyday about Steeler fans acting like.....Steeler fans.

Slapstick
03-24-2018, 08:36 AM

If he were one and not a troll, he would understand...

The Man of Steel
03-24-2018, 08:46 AM
A true Steelers fan always drinks the black n gold Kool Aid. I take no issue with that kind of blind loyalty.

feltdizz
03-24-2018, 09:02 AM
A true Steelers fan always drinks the black n gold Kool Aid. I take no issue with that kind of blind loyalty.

This isn’t true. Steeler fans can complain but it really makes no sense to lie and complain about all Steeler fans liking every pick or never criticizing the front office or their decisions.

if said person is a Steeler fan and doesn’t do these things... well, obviously every Steeler fan doesn’t drink the kool aid.

How many times can a person bash Steeler fans for liking their team? Wtf.

Buzz
03-24-2018, 10:10 AM
I don't doubt that Ben wishes Tomlin forced the team to become more disciplined.
Tomlin does some things very well but being a disciplinarian may not be one of them.

feltdizz
03-24-2018, 10:51 AM
Tomlin does some things very well but being a disciplinarian may not be one of them.

I don’t think this is entirely true.

Does he strike enough fear in players so they wouldn’t even think about doing things detrimental to the team? Probably not. But name one coach who does?

most will probably use Billicheat as the example but he had a freaking murderer on his team.

Cowher didnt stop Ben from his off field distractions.

It really comes down to the player. Most will be ok but some times you get a player who is talented but also has a tendency to test boundaries.

Thankfully most of the boundaries they cross are tweets or speaking to the media.

On field discipline is still the most important one when it comes to Tomlin.

edit: Pats player just caught with 58 grams of weed and some THC oil and a few pipes trying to enter Costa Rica.

squidkid
03-24-2018, 02:35 PM

exactly.
i dont understand why they just cant admit that they are 'true fans' and that i am a 'fan'...........

SanAntonioSteelerFan
03-24-2018, 04:28 PM
exactly.
i dont understand why they just cant admit that they are 'true fans' and that i am a 'fan'...........

Not exactly sure what you're saying, but it's a pretty good imitation of a non-Steeler fan to have a sig like yours. Just my opinion.

feltdizz
03-24-2018, 05:08 PM
exactly.
Only thing you are a fan of is your sarcasm and pessimism.

You are rarely happy after a win and you gloat after losses.

Steel Maniac
03-24-2018, 06:02 PM
exactly.

I understand what your trying to convey ; I’m a too the core Steeler fan but I’m not myopic to the point that some others are.

But I don’t fault myopic fans because at the end of the day, we’d all want the same thing.

steelz09
03-24-2018, 10:55 PM
I don't know if there is a rift between Ben and Mike but I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if Ben made some comment that indirectly took a jab at Tomlin.

Cowherd has his good and bad days. He's a big fan of Roethlisberger. But like most of ESPN, he throws out alot of garbage reporting to try and gain veiwers and ratings.

A bit out of scope for this thread but regardless of whether the team is 9-7 or 13-3 next year, if we lose our first playoff game like we did this year, most of the coaching staff will be gone (including Tomlin) with the exception Munchak.

I would bet on it.

Captain Lemming
03-25-2018, 01:41 AM
I understand what your trying to convey ; I’m a too the core Steeler fan but I’m not myopic to the point that some others are.

But I don’t fault myopic fans because at the end of the day, we’d all want the same thing.

But we dont "all" want the same thing. Squid "wants" Tomlin to fail. Do you?

You tend to ally with Squid but as I see it you would LUV for Tomlin to succeed.
You just have doubts he will therefore your criticism. THAT is OK.

Difference between you and Squid is he WANTS Tomlin to fail, and is on the record as saying even if we win another SB he would not want Tomlin as coach.
Do you ever wonder why I dont like siding with him even if we agree on a point? Thats why.

There are legit reasons to criticize Tomlin and there are positives. We all can disagree on what is greater.

But "myopic" goes both ways my friend and Squid is blind to ANYTHING positive in Tomlin.
Everything he has ever posted tells me he would rather we lose so as to get another coach than see the Steelers win under Tomlin.

Steeler "fans" want to see the team succeed period and if a coach or player we were critical of has success we are elated to be proven wrong.

We DO NOT all want the same thing.

Captain Lemming
03-25-2018, 01:48 AM
Not exactly sure what you're saying, but it's a pretty good imitation of a non-Steeler fan to have a sig like yours. Just my opinion.

Actually the resident "non-Steeler fan" ironically has no such sig and has much more positive things to say about the team than Squid does.

papillon
03-25-2018, 08:34 AM

Huh? What? Why are you on that channel to begin with? :p

Pappy

Slapstick
03-25-2018, 09:18 AM

You tend to ally with Squid but as I see it you would LUV for Tomlin to succeed.

Difference between you and Squid is he WANTS Tomlin to fail, and is on the record as saying even if we win another SB he would not want Tomlin as coach.
Do you ever wonder why I dont like siding with him even if we agree on a point? Thats why.

There are legit reasons to criticize Tomlin and there are positives. We all can disagree on what is greater.

But "myopic" goes both ways my friend and Squid is blind to ANYTHING positive in Tomlin.
Everything he has ever posted tells me he would rather we lose so as to get another coach than see the Steelers win under Tomlin.

Steeler "fans" want to see the team succeed period and if a coach or player we were critical of has success we are elated to be proven wrong.

Quoted for truth...

Steel Maniac
03-25-2018, 12:35 PM

Of course I’d rather Tomlin succeed then fail. For me, that goes without saying.

From what I’ve seen in their post , I see Feltz and slap constantly attacking Squid with personal insults because he doesn’t believe or agree with what they say. Then Squid gets mad and says something like he wants Tomlin to fail to just try to get back at them. But I dont think Squid really wants us as a team to fail. I think when you make statements like,” you want Bell to get 24 mil a year a damn the defense” that’s a person who doesn’t care about the team and us winning as a whole.

feltdizz
03-25-2018, 12:41 PM
Of course I’d rather Tomlin succeed then fail. For me, that goes without saying.

From what I’ve seen in their post , I see Feltz and slap constantly attacking Squid with personal insults because he doesn’t believe or agree with what they say. Then Squid gets mad and says something like he wants Tomlin to fail to just try to get back at them. But I dont think Squid really wants us as a team to fail. I think when you make statements like,” you want Bell to get 24 mil a year a damn the defense” that’s a person who doesn’t care about the team and uscwinning as a whole.

You didn’t see Dobbs was a running QB so that explains why you would see the interaction between Squid and us going the complete opposite of what’s actually true.

Squid ALWAYS says something completely false about “all the Steeler fans” or says something negative about Tomlin or the team.

We point out how its false and yes, sometimes point out how jevenile his allegations are and he continues bashing Tomlin, Steeler fans and whoever the player is in a thread topic.

Squid has the Tomlin sig for a reason. It’s okay if that’s the side you are on but there is no need to lie about it.

We we all know what Squid represents on the board.

Slapstick
03-25-2018, 12:45 PM
From what I’ve seen in their post , I see Feltz and slap constantly attacking Squid with personal insults

Quoted for UNtruth...

Captain Lemming
03-25-2018, 06:56 PM
Of course I¬’d rather Tomlin succeed then fail. For me, that goes without saying.

Yes, and I expected that. Squid has been here since 2012 and is incapable of uttering what you just said because he does not feel that way.
He has said that if we won the SB again he STILL would not like Tomlin.

From what I¬’ve seen in their post , I see Feltz and slap constantly attacking Squid with personal insults because he doesn¬’t believe or agree with what they say. Then Squid gets mad and says something like he wants Tomlin to fail to just try to get back at them. But I dont think Squid really wants us as a team to fail.

You ASSUME that because it is your POV as a person who legitimately sees Tomlin as underachieving but wants the team to succeed whoever is coach. I assure you he does not share your POV. He is a straight hater dude. We have had half a decade to know "why" he hates Tomlin.

Why do you think I can make such a bold statement? We have done it before and he NEVER disputes the assertion that he'd want Tomlin gone no matter if we win it all with him.

He will never say as you just did that he WANTS the Steelers to have success because he does not, as long as Tomlin is coach.
He sees this, just as he has been challenged before and he won't do it.

I think when you make statements like,¬” you want Bell to get 24 mil a year a damn the defense¬” that¬’s a person who doesn¬’t care about the team and us winning as a whole.

You know "we" agree on Bell. Heck, I agree with Squid on that one. But do I think for one moment Dizz "doesn't care" about winning?
I've seen Dizz lose his mind hurting after the playoff loss against the Pats last season and he......dare I say....was.....VERY CRITICAL of the coaches INCLUDING ripping Tomlin!
As much as I disagree on Bell, I have no doubt those who fear losing Bell and are willing to "sell the farm" to sign him, THINK it is in the teams best interest.

I will tell you the difference between Squid and Dizz. Dizz has said MANY TIMES he would rather be wrong if it means the Steelers are "right".

I can say with absolute confidence that if we pulled the offer, let Bell walk THIS YEAR and we won the SB Dizz would LOVE nothing better than to be proven wrong. Why?
Because he is a true fan (as wrong as he is sometimes:)).
Similarly, if Bell signed a long term deal, I would hope it was the right move and the dude retires a three time Steeler SB MVP no matter my current thoughts it would be a mistake.

Conversely, Squid takes glee in seeing the team lose as long as Tomlin is coach. Belee-dat.

The idea that "we all want the same thing" is alive and well here which is why we fight like family, but understand that truth.

But dont think for one minute Squid wants what "we" want.......not as long as Tomlin is coach.

squidkid
03-25-2018, 07:19 PM
lol.......maybe we can start a new post and come up with a system to determine what makes up a fan..............you know, a point system thing so all of us can be rated.
you know, what level of fan are we?

true fan
fan
super fan
die hard
life long
fair weather
not a fan
etc. etc.

this should be easy for all the fans that say they are true fans and i am not. obviously they have certain criteria that makes them more of a fan then me..........lets hear it

Captain Lemming
03-25-2018, 07:24 PM
From what I’ve seen in their post , I see Feltz and slap constantly attacking Squid with personal insults because he doesn’t believe or agree with what they say.
Funny how "I" frequently disagree with them and I do not get treated like Squid. They don't treat him like that because they disagree with him on the game. They do that because he enjoys seeing losses and takes no delight in wins as long as Tomlin is coach. Savoring each and every loss while dismissing every win does little to make one popular on a Steeler board.

It has been a while now but I have launched into Squid with a ferocity you have never seen from Slappy or Dizz.

BTW, Maniac, remember when you first came to the board and you thought I was being "too mean" to Slappy when I was mercilessly ragging on his uber-homerism? You see how Dizz and I go at it, "no holds barred" style all the time? Over time, we have come to understand each other and your concept of "we all want the same thing" is why we genuinely like each other despite what on the surface looks like personal attacks.

My friend dont take stuff here "personally" and you will be fine. It aint personal, it is guys who enjoy taking jabs at each other like family.......a truly dysfunctional family. :)

Captain Lemming
03-25-2018, 07:32 PM
lol.......maybe we can start a new post and come up with a system to determine what makes up a fan.............this should be easy for all the fans that say they are true fans and i am not. obviously they have certain criteria that makes them more of a fan then me..........lets hear it

You act like this is complicated. :)

A fan wants his team to be successful and win PERIOD.
You DONT, as long as Tomlin is coach.

Therefore you are not a fan of this Steelers team.

(Maniac, still dont believe me, notice how he simply is incapable of doing what you just did......express a normal fan desire for the team to succeed)

Steel Maniac
03-25-2018, 08:08 PM
Funny how "I" frequently disagree with them and I do not get treated like Squid. They don't treat him like that because they disagree with him on the game. They do that because he enjoys seeing losses and takes no delight in wins as long as Tomlin is coach. Savoring each and every loss while dismissing every win does little to make one popular on a Steeler board.

It has been a while now but I have launched into Squid with a ferocity you have never seen from Slappy or Dizz.

BTW, Maniac, remember when you first came to the board and you thought I was being "too mean" to Slappy when I was mercilessly ragging on his uber-homerism? You see how Dizz and I go at it, "no holds barred" style all the time? Over time, we have come to understand each other and your concept of "we all want the same thing" is why we genuinely like each other despite what on the surface looks like personal attacks.

My friend see stuff here "personally" and you will be fine. It aint personal, it is guys who enjoy taking jabs at each other like family.

Got it; so there’s a definite history and comfortability that I have to take into account between some of you guys. And I see that Squid indeed has not denied that he wants the Steelers to lose just to be right about Tomlin. Wow... that’s really , really sad. I guess he isn’t a fan. Squid , why are you here then?

Slapstick
03-25-2018, 10:02 PM
Got it; so there’s a definite history and comfortability that I have to take into account between some of you guys. And I see that Squid indeed has not denied that he wants the Steelers to lose just to be right about Tomlin. Wow... that’s really , really sad. I guess he isn’t a fan. Squid , why are you here then?

Simply to attempt to troll...

Buzz
03-25-2018, 11:22 PM
Maybe I'm naive, but I've got to believe that if the Steelers were winning Super Bowls, in spite of what he said, Squid would be happy, even with Tomlin as HC. I think he just doesn't believe they'll ever win another Lombardi as long as Tomlin is at the helm.

Squid?

Slapstick
03-26-2018, 07:34 AM
Maybe I'm naive, but I've got to believe that if the Steelers were winning Super Bowls, in spite of what he said, Squid would be happy, even with Tomlin as HC. I think he just doesn't believe they'll ever win another Lombardi as long as Tomlin is at the helm.

Squid?

You know what? I think you’re right.

You ARE naive.:lol::lol::lol:

Steel Maniac
03-26-2018, 08:02 AM

Squid?

I was thinking that but Squid never disputed what captain said so I’m forced to believe that all he wants is the team to lose as long as it gets Tomlin fired to make him be right.

Captain Lemming
03-26-2018, 09:09 AM
You know what? I think youíre right.

Well played :)

squidkid
03-26-2018, 09:13 AM
You act like this is complicated. :)

A fan wants his team to be successful and win PERIOD.
You DONT, as long as Tomlin is coach.

Therefore you are not a fan of this Steelers team.

(Maniac, still dont believe me, notice how he simply is incapable of doing what you just did......express a normal fan desire for the team to succeed)

lol..........lies, lies and more lies.......
you guys crack me up.
i want the team to be successful. success to me is long playoff runs and super bowls, especially when you have the most talent in the league
i know tomlin was successful early because he just stood there and let cowhers players win a super bowl.
i understand that he has a great regular season record but his post season is unacceptable to me. i dont understand how that is fine with most posters on here.
i dont feel a tomlin drafted team can win the super bowl with him coaching it.
its been long enough, i want change.
so once again, you are wrong. i want the steelers to win super bowls. i dont have any faith that tomlin can do it, and every season he proves that to me.

squidkid
03-26-2018, 09:14 AM
Simply to attempt to troll...

and make you look stupid

Steel Maniac
03-26-2018, 09:16 AM
lol..........lies, lies and more lies.......
you guys crack me up.
i want the team to be successful. success to me is long playoff runs and super bowls, especially when you have the most talent in the league
i know tomlin was successful early because he just stood there and let cowhers players win a super bowl.
i understand that he has a great regular season record but his post season is unacceptable to me. i dont understand how that is fine with most posters on here.
i dont feel a tomlin drafted team can win the super bowl with him coaching it.
its been long enough, i want change.
so once again, you are wrong. i want the steelers to win super bowls. i dont have any faith that tomlin can do it, and every season he proves that to me.

Thanks for clearing that up Squid. So my first perceptions of you were accurate. Your attacked because you dont by the Tomlin kool-aid. But just donít stup to their level of personal insults. It would be better to keep your integrity and just put them on ignore.

squidkid
03-26-2018, 09:33 AM
Thanks for clearing that up Squid. So my first perceptions of you were accurate. Your attacked because you dont by the Tomlin kool-aid. But just don’t stup to their level of personal insults. It would be better to keep your integrity and just put them on ignore.

i really shouldnt have to defende my 'steeler fandom'. these guys can rah rah all they want but i bet most cant go toe to toe with me for my steeler support. (not tomlin support, not 1 particular player support) but team support.
i just refuse to have them tell me what i need to do to become 'true fans' in their eyes. i dont give a rats ass about their opinion of me. i do find it funny how they report me, ask for me to get banned, for saying things they dont agree with, while at the same time they break the code of conduct insulting me but receive no warnings or bans of their own.
i will never put those guys on ignore. i enjoy watching them respond all fired up, spewing lies and insults. it confirms to me that i am right but they dont want to admit it.
i would think all of them would put me on ignore since im not a 'true fan' and dont say the things they want to here.....................hmmmmm, strange they keep reading.

feltdizz
03-26-2018, 09:40 AM
i really shouldnt have to defende my 'steeler fandom'. these guys can rah rah all they want but i bet most cant go toe to toe with me for my steeler support. (not tomlin support, not 1 particular player support) but team support.
i just refuse to have them tell me what i need to do to become 'true fans' in their eyes. i dont give a rats ass about their opinion of me. i do find it funny how they report me, ask for me to get banned, for saying things they dont agree with, while at the same time they break the code of conduct insulting me but receive no warnings or bans of their own.
i will never put those guys on ignore. i enjoy watching them respond all fired up, spewing lies and insults. it confirms to me that i am right but they dont want to admit it.
i would think all of them would put me on ignore since im not a 'true fan' and dont say the things they want to here.....................hmmmmm, strange they keep reading.

why would I put you on ignore? You are hilarious in your trolling.

I can't lie, I kinda Iook forward to the dumb stuff you type after a win or how you lie about everyone calling every pick a steal of the draft.

and once or twice a year you actually drop a good joke

feltdizz
03-26-2018, 09:42 AM
Thanks for clearing that up Squid. So my first perceptions of you were accurate. Your attacked because you dont by the Tomlin kool-aid. But just don’t stup to their level of personal insults. It would be better to keep your integrity and just put them on ignore.

why would he put us on ignore. The only reason he is still around is because we engage him.

if not, he would grow tired and move on.

He loves the attention and we don't mind giving him some because it's a message board and his lies and pessimism def help the board move at times.

squidkid
03-26-2018, 09:47 AM
why would I put you on ignore? You are hilarious in your trolling.

I can't lie, I kinda Iook forward to the dumb stuff you type after a win or how you lie about everyone calling every pick a steal of the draft.

and once or twice a year you actually drop a good joke

lol............more lies.
it took me a few years but have shamed all of you into not making the stupid 'steal of the draft' comment after every pick. now that i made fun of the ones that always did it, you lie and say it was never said...................lol

Slapstick
03-26-2018, 10:01 AM
and make you look stupid

Another epic fail...the only person you make look stupid is you...

Slapstick
03-26-2018, 10:02 AM

:lol::lol::lol:

Now we actually have someone who drinks the squidkid kool-aid!!

Probably an alias...:lol::lol::lol:

Slapstick
03-26-2018, 10:04 AM
lol............more lies.
it took me a few years but have shamed all of you into not making the stupid 'steal of the draft' comment after every pick. now that i made fun of the ones that always did it, you lie and say it was never said...................lol

No, the only reason we ever used that phrase is ironically, to make fun of you...

Buzz
03-26-2018, 10:16 AM
You know what? I think youíre right.

Looks like you should have stopped before your last sentence.

Steel Maniac
03-26-2018, 10:17 AM

Hahahaha...true. They keep reading you but they say your not a true fan; doesn't make sense. I've already put on ignore the guys who I don't think are true fans because I don't want to read what they say. If they truly believe your not a true fan, they should do the same. If not, then the only thing left for a logical person to assume is that they keep reading you just to attack you.

Just keep it classy; no need to stup to their level of personal insults. I too don't think Tomlin can get us where we want to go but I'd like to be wrong. Tomlin in my opinion is a downgrade from Cowher in the sense that Cowher didn't have a franchise QB for the large majority of his coaching tenure. Tomlin has had a franchise QB his entire tenure. We haven't won anything in a decade but people support him because of his regular season record. But you don't win championships in the regular season; that isn't good enough.

1. It wasn't good enough in Indianapolis..so they got rid of Mora
2. It wasn't good enough in Tampa..so they got ride of Dungy

So it's not unprecedented if Tomlin is not retained any further.

We've had one Super Bowl appearance in the last ten years with a stacked offensive team and a defense that has been mediocre at best over ten years but some posters say that's acceptable. I don't. And Tomlin was suppose to be a secondary coach coming in; yet what secondary has he put together since Troy left?

Tomlin has spent those ten year's being punked by:

1. Harbaugh 2014-2015 (making Tomlin so frustrated that Tomlin had to walk on the field of play to stop the returner from scoring a TD)
2. Bellicek
3. And now Marrone of Jacksonville.

Yet, Tomlin does all this tough ("Soldier story" , Lou Gossett Sargent; the standard is the standard) talk and people eat it up. Lou Gossett didn't get punked the way Tomlin's been getting punked by various coaches.

Again, I want to be wrong about Tomlin; but my eyes tell me a different story. I think one more post season flame out and he's out of here. And the standard is not just regular season success; the other half of our standard is super bowl success.

Steel Maniac
03-26-2018, 10:20 AM
And the skirt that the Jags (Doug Marrone) has put on him is IMO as embarrassing as the skirt that Bellichek has on him.

Slapstick
03-26-2018, 10:20 AM
Looks like you should have stopped before your last sentence.

Does it really? Because you saying that just proves I’m right about your naÔvetť...

feltdizz
03-26-2018, 10:22 AM
dude called Tomlin..Lou Gossett?

smh

Slapstick
03-26-2018, 10:23 AM
dude called Tomlin..Lou Gossett?

smh

Hmmm....I wonder where that came from...

squidkid
03-26-2018, 10:26 AM
No, the only reason we ever used that phrase is ironically, to make fun of you...

lol.............just because you keep saying that doesnt make it true.

squidkid
03-26-2018, 10:27 AM
Hmmm....I wonder where that came from...

maybe he cant coach either

Slapstick
03-26-2018, 10:30 AM
lol.............just because you keep saying that doesnt make it true.

Why not? You seem to think it works for you...

squidkid
03-26-2018, 10:33 AM
Why not? You seem to think it works for you...

all you have to do is go back and check the posts...............unless you are afraid of what you will read

SS Laser
03-26-2018, 10:39 AM
The squid has replaced crash as the most troll steeler fan on this message board.
Now let me take a hit at his most talented team BS. So tired of that MO for Tomlin's failures.

Yes Tomlin makes mistakes as does every single coach. And it is possible he is not the coach to bring #7 home. BUT as the current head coach I will mostly support him. The most talented team is totally crap. As is the most talented offense if you want to try that line.

See the tons of posts here directed at the offensive! Haley could have been a problem? Bell has hurt this team now for a few seasons not being prepared for the first game. Which was a suspension or contract disputes. Mostly his own bad decisions there. Ben seems to start slow and has a few bad games. Injuries has been a large factor all over the team and NFL.

The defense is being rebuilt and very young. At times looks promising and others WTF is happening. Bryant, Dupree, draft pick busts, Tuitt, Burns, Davis, WR's not named AB, AB's own goofs, team unity, Etc Etc. So take that elite out look and shove it. Good offense and when clicking can be very good. Defense is average to wow look at that! Shazier was showing flashes of a Troy type player. Anyway I am rambling.
Enjoy trolling. Everyone needs a hobby.

Slapstick
03-26-2018, 10:42 AM
:Clap:Clap:Clap

feltdizz
03-26-2018, 10:45 AM
The squid has replaced crash as the most troll steeler fan on this message board.
Now let me take a hit at his most talented team BS. So tired of that MO for Tomlin's failures.

Yes Tomlin makes mistakes as does every single coach. And it is possible he is not the coach to bring #7 home. BUT as the current head coach I will mostly support him. The most talented team is totally crap. As is the most talented offense if you want to try that line.

See the tons of posts here directed at the offensive! Haley could have been a problem? Bell has hurt this team now for a few seasons not being prepared for the first game. Which was a suspension or contract disputes. Mostly his own bad decisions there. Ben seems to start slow and has a few bad games. Injuries has been a large factor all over the team and NFL.

The defense is being rebuilt and very young. At times looks promising and others WTF is happening. Bryant, Dupree, draft pick busts, Tuitt, Burns, Davis, WR's not named AB, AB's own goofs, team unity, Etc Etc. So take that elite out look and shove it. Good offense and when clicking can be very good. Defense is average to wow look at that! Shazier was showing flashes of a Troy type player. Anyway I am rambling.

Steel Maniac is going to put you on ignore

squidkid
03-26-2018, 10:56 AM

i am only repeating what i hear on here ever season
you guys say that with ben, lb, ab, (bryant, coates juju), whatever te(mcdonald, l green, jesse) and our best oline in the league this offense is unstoppable. who can defend all those weapons? d coordinators are going to be losing sleep....we will put up 450 yds of offense and average over 30 a game
add in all the defense studs draft picks and 'steeler type' fas signings and we are all set on defense.........
let me guess, nobody ever said those things. im making it up..........:rolleyes:

feltdizz
03-26-2018, 11:03 AM
you guys say that with ben, lb, ab, (bryant, coates juju), whatever te(mcdonald, l green, jesse) and our best oline in the league this offense is unstoppable. who can defend all those weapons? d coordinators are going to be losing sleep....we will put up 450 yds of offense and average over 30 a game
add in all the defense studs draft picks and 'steeler type' fas signings and we are all set on defense.........
let me guess, nobody ever said those things. im making it up..........:rolleyes:

so your job/mission is to collect every positive post from different fans and create a mythical Voltron Steeler fan where EVERYONE says and believes these things?

That's a rather odd thing to do on a Steeler message board.

and it's why folks call you a troll.

You aren't here to discuss anything positive, your only goal is to be some weird collector of all things positive to throw at folks feet after a loss? What type of loser does this and thinks its being a fan of the team?

squidkid
03-26-2018, 11:09 AM
so your job/mission is to collect every positive post from different fans and create a mythical Voltron Steeler fan where EVERYONE says and believes these things?

That's a rather odd thing to do on a Steeler message board.

and it's why folks call you a troll.

You aren't here to discuss anything positive, your only goal is to be some weird collector of all things positive to throw at folks feet after a loss? What type of loser does this and thinks its being a fan of the team?

yea, because only 1 fan has said these things............how retarded can you be?

Slapstick
03-26-2018, 11:12 AM
yea, because only 1 fan has said these things............how retarded can you be?

All that and classy, too!

So much for “keeping your integrity”, eh Steel Maniac?

squidkid
03-26-2018, 12:27 PM
All that and classy, too!

So much for “keeping your integrity”, eh Steel Maniac?

yup, now hurry and cry to the mod to get me banned.............

feltdizz
03-26-2018, 12:29 PM

didn't they warn you about this type of stuff?

squidkid
03-26-2018, 12:34 PM
didn't they warn you about this type of stuff?

you mean when you snicthed me out because you dont like my posts?

feltdizz
03-26-2018, 12:47 PM
you mean when you snicthed me out because you dont like my posts?

huh? I've never reported you.

You put these things on here for everyone to read.

You are snitching on yourself

squidkid
03-26-2018, 12:50 PM
huh? I've never reported you.

You put these things on here for everyone to read.

You are snitching on yourself

lol..............sure

feltdizz
03-26-2018, 01:07 PM
lol..............sure

exactly, I've never contacted a mod and never had to because you post it right here for everyone to see.

Sword
03-26-2018, 01:29 PM
This is great Monday afternoon entertainment.....Ben & Mike sounds like an ice cream brand.......

Sugar
03-26-2018, 01:49 PM
This is great Monday afternoon entertainment.....Ben & Mike sounds like an ice cream brand.......

But what kind of ice cream would be yellow and black? Perhaps Lemon and Licorice?? That sounds nasty.

As for Coach T and Ben, I think that people are trying really hard to read into people's actions and motivations. I'm not really worried about it. I'm just happy to have a great coach and a great QB at this time in history.

feltdizz
03-26-2018, 02:06 PM
But what kind of ice cream would be yellow and black? Perhaps Lemon and Licorice?? That sounds nasty.

As for Coach T and Ben, I think that people are trying really hard to read into people's actions and motivations. I'm not really worried about it. I'm just happy to have a great coach and a great QB at this time in history.

Pittsburgh media and the national media are ALWAYS trying to start a riff because they know Steeler articles get clicks.

Sugar
03-26-2018, 02:26 PM
Pittsburgh media and the national media are ALWAYS trying to start a riff because they know Steeler articles get clicks.

FACT. Yet we still click. Alas...

steelz09
03-26-2018, 02:52 PM

A great coach is a bit of a stretch don't ya think? I'll give him decent or possibly good. Not great.

Given the talent on the roster....

Buzz
03-26-2018, 03:29 PM
Does it really? Because you saying that just proves Iím right about your naÔvetť...
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Buzz
03-26-2018, 03:35 PM
A great coach is a bit of a stretch don't ya think? I'll give him decent or possibly good. Not great.

Oh oh... better be careful ... in expressing that opinion, you are getting closer to having your "fandom" questioned by the resident fan judges.

Slapstick
03-26-2018, 04:01 PM
Oh oh... better be careful ... in expressing that opinion, you are getting closer to having your "fandom" questioned by the resident fan judges.

Or not...there is a difference between expressing an opinion and straight up hating on the team...

Sugar
03-26-2018, 04:28 PM

I'll stand by my statement.

Buzz
03-26-2018, 04:29 PM
Or not...there is a difference between expressing an opinion and straight up hating on the team...True. But the "judges" may not always be so good at discerning the difference between the two (especially when said opinion runs counter to their own).

squidkid
03-26-2018, 04:33 PM
Or not...there is a difference between expressing an opinion and straight up hating on the team...

theres also a difference from hating on the team and hating the 'true fans' that question someones fandom if they criticize the organization.
some just arent smart enough to figure it out.

squidkid
03-26-2018, 04:38 PM
im still waiting for the 'true fans' that label me a 'team hater' to give me their criteria of fandom..............
it sure seems like that would be easy to do, being an expert at telling me im not a fan, and all.

Slapstick
03-26-2018, 04:58 PM
True. But the "judges" may not always be so good at discerning the difference between the two (especially when said opinion runs counter to their own).

All you have to do is read the good Captain’s post...he is one of the more reasonable posters....

If he thinks someone is a hater and can support his opinion so well, then that person is probably just a hater...

SS Laser
03-26-2018, 05:37 PM
I am not sure you smart enough to get this...
Every season is different. Fans get over excited over hype FA, Draft picks, new coaches, etc. IT IS CALLED BEING EXCITED FOR YOUR FAVORITE TEAM!
Yes I was yelling in case you are hard of hearing. Every one is right or wrong at times. Even on a message board. You sir at like your poop does not stink. And you attack at the drop of a hat and seem to wonder why your fandom is questioned and troll status is elevated? Some things you say do not read like different opinions but straight BS just to argue and Troll just like crash. Sometimes you look and sound way smarter and earn a reputation as a good poster by being a man and saying hey I was wrong. Not just continuing to stuff your boot in your mouth.
Hey I am in the let Bell walk camp. Could be proven wrong any day. But I am fine with that. You sir need to have your opinion be the only one, fight just to argue, look stupid over and over by beating a dead horse over and over. But like LBell you be you and stick to your guns. Sometimes "things" just don't add up and make sense. Part of life. Done rambling again dang!

Slapstick
03-26-2018, 06:21 PM
:Clap:Clap:Clap

Captain Lemming
03-26-2018, 07:05 PM
Don't let Squids carefully parsed reply fool you people. He dodged the core point of my question.

Maniac you said:

Of course I¬’d rather Tomlin succeed then fail. For me, that goes without saying.

No need to pull teeth, it was easy for you to say.

You like Squid have expressed concern about Tomlin but you would love to be proven wrong because you want THIS team to succeed.

Squid cannot say that. He does want the Steelers to win but only WITHOUT Tomlin. Therefore he spins his reply in a way that dodges my point.

I will ask Squid again. Would you LIKE for the Steelers to win a championship WITH Tomlin as coach? Do you HOPE the current Steeler coach is successful in winning another SB?

Nevermind whether you think it unlikely, do you WANT the team as currently constructed to win the SB this year?

Captain Lemming
03-26-2018, 07:15 PM

Actually, I have expressed EXACTLY the same POV as Steelerz09 many times. I've debated Dizz on that many times.

Funny how my Fandom has never been questioned on this forum and I've been here from the start.

Squid is treated like a non-fan because he relishes it when the team loses as long as Tomlin is coach.

feltdizz
03-26-2018, 07:38 PM
I am not sure you smart enough to get this...
Every season is different. Fans get over excited over hype FA, Draft picks, new coaches, etc. IT IS CALLED BEING EXCITED FOR YOUR FAVORITE TEAM!
Yes I was yelling in case you are hard of hearing. Every one is right or wrong at times. Even on a message board. You sir at like your poop does not stink. And you attack at the drop of a hat and seem to wonder why your fandom is questioned and troll status is elevated? Some things you say do not read like different opinions but straight BS just to argue and Troll just like crash. Sometimes you look and sound way smarter and earn a reputation as a good poster by being a man and saying hey I was wrong. Not just continuing to stuff your boot in your mouth.
Hey I am in the let Bell walk camp. Could be proven wrong any day. But I am fine with that. You sir need to have your opinion be the only one, fight just to argue, look stupid over and over by beating a dead horse over and over. But like LBell you be you and stick to your guns. Sometimes "things" just don't add up and make sense. Part of life. Done rambling again dang!

Exactly.

When i was wrong aboht Cleveland turning the corner after the first game I had no
problem admitting it.

Itís real easy to admit
when you are wrong.

Steel Maniac said Dobbs wasnít a running QB in college. I proved him wrong, he put me on ignore... lol

Wjem you canít adkit you are wrong it makes you look foolish in the long run.

Captain Lemming
03-26-2018, 07:41 PM
im still waiting for the 'true fans' that label me a 'team hater' to give me their criteria of fandom..............
it sure seems like that would be easy to do, being an expert at telling me im not a fan, and all.

Fan= Someone who actually roots for his team to win. Try it sometime. :)

feltdizz
03-26-2018, 07:54 PM
Fan= Someone who actually roots for his team to win. Try it sometime. :)

Its pretty simple and easy to do UNLESS if you hate the HC.

Captain Lemming
03-26-2018, 08:37 PM
Something you newbies need to know about why we "know" Squids hate for Tomlin is NOT just because "we cant win" with him.

When he joined this forum in 2012 he had no basis whatsovever to be critical of Tomlin based on performance.
Tomlins record looked like THIS
10-6
12-4 (won SB)
9-7
12-4 (went to the SB)
12-4

Squid could not bash Tomlin's "record" at all. He was obsessed that he felt Tomlin was just a "Rooney Rule" hire.
He wanted Tomlin gone way back then.

feltdizz
03-26-2018, 08:50 PM
Something you newbies need to know about why we "know" Squids hate for Tomlin is NOT just because "we cant win" with him.

When he joined this forum in 2012 he had no basis whatsovever to be critical of Tomlin based on performance.
10-6
12-4 (won SB)
9-7
12-4 (went to the SB)
12-4

Squid could not bash Tomlin's "record" at all. He was obsessed that he felt Tomlin was just a "Rooney Rule" hire.
Pretty sure the folks defending him probably feel the same way about Tomlin

steelz09
03-26-2018, 10:01 PM
I think it's ignorant if you don't think that the Rooney Rule wouldn't have had something to do with the Tomlin hiring.

It doesn't look good when the organization that invented that rule has never hired a minority head coach. That's just the reality of the situation. People can fool themselves to think otherwise but I prefer to see things how it is.

With that said, I do think Tomlin interviewed extremely well (obviously as Tomlin would say). He is a very good talker. It was a matter of time until he would be a HC somewhere and I think the Steelers FO really thought they made the right hire.

I'm simply saying that if all things being equal and they had two identically qualified candidates, they would have chosen Tomlin because of the rule. But that wasn't the case. There was no equal in my opinion. I think Tomlin won the job, outright.

I think this year is a make or break year for Tomlin.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
03-26-2018, 11:28 PM

Cleveland Rocks!

Buzz
03-26-2018, 11:33 PM
You do know he's never had a losing season, right? :lol:

For the record, I think Tomlin is a bit better coach than Cowher was. But I don't think he's proven himself to be a "great" coach. I hope he does so, and leads the Steelers to another Super Bowl win. I don't think it's "unfanly" at all to point out his shortcomings, or to say that he needs to be held accountable for his mistakes. Steelers fans come with all kinds of different ideas -- I think people need to be very careful about proclaiming someone to be "not a true fan" merely because certain of their ideas might be different ... or frankly, even seem a bit crazy.

Steel Maniac
03-26-2018, 11:42 PM

10-6
12-4 (won SB)
9-7
12-4 (went to the SB)
12-4

Hmmmmmmmm.....

Captain Lemming
03-26-2018, 11:52 PM
I think it's ignorant if you don't think that the Rooney Rule wouldn't have had something to do with the Tomlin hiring.

Considering it is "Rooney's" rule to begin with, it is a reflection on HIS values. Rooney's values were adopted by the league as a rule.
Therefore he needs no rule to do what HE believes is the right thing to do in interviewing minority candidates.

He already did this when he hired Cowher.

This:

It doesn't look good when the organization that invented that rule has never hired a minority head coach. That's just the reality of the situation. People can fool themselves to think otherwise but I prefer to see things how it is.
Contradicts this:

With that said, I do think Tomlin interviewed extremely well (obviously as Tomlin would say). He is a very good talker. It was a matter of time until he would be a HC somewhere and I think the Steelers FO really thought they made the right hire.

I'm simply saying that if all things being equal and they had two identically qualified candidates, they would have chosen Tomlin because of the rule. But that wasn't the case. There was no equal in my opinion. I think Tomlin won the job, outright.

This DIRECTLY contradicts your original assertion as in your words there was not in fact an "equally qualified candidate". Your own words imply he in actuality got the job on merit.
Everything else is meaningless speculation based on a scenario that never happened.

At most the "rule" got him the interview, which he likely crushed, and got hired on merit over a less accomplished offensive line coach.

That is the purpose of the rule, and even if that is what happened (which I dispute for reasons stated above) the rule worked as intended

Considering we are a playoff team a year away from getting to the conference championship game, what standard would be required to avoid a "break" year?
SB win or bust?

Captain Lemming
03-27-2018, 12:16 AM
You do know he's never had a losing season, right? :lol:
For the record, I think Tomlin is a bit better coach than Cowher was.
You might be surprised, but I'm on the record as saying I liked BC a tiny bit more than Tomlin.

But I don't think he's proven himself to be a "great" coach.
Agreed by me. I have in fact argued he is NOT a "great" coach. I do think he is "good".

I hope he does so, and leads the Steelers to another Super Bowl win.
Like any REAL fan should.

I don't think it's "unfanly" at all to point out his shortcomings, or to say that he needs to be held accountable for his mistakes.
Agreed.
What you dont get is that nobody is saying that Buzz.

Steelers fans come with all kinds of different ideas -- I think people need to be very careful about proclaiming someone to be "not a true fan" merely because certain of their ideas might be different ... or frankly, even seem a bit crazy.
Understood, which is why I go out of my way to explain to legitimate critics of Tomlin defending Squid, the reasons Squid gets the "unique" response he gets.

Why I dont consider him a "real fan" of THIS team? (may have been of prior teams).

A REAL fan.......even one critical of Tomlin for legit reasons would mirror YOUR expressed feelings:

I don't think he's proven himself to be a "great" coach. I hope he does so, and leads the Steelers to another Super Bowl win.

THAT is how a fan views his team. I assure you he does not share that view.
In fact I AGAIN challenge him to express the sentiment you just made.

Slapstick
03-27-2018, 06:35 AM
For the record, I think Tomlin is a bit better coach than Cowher was. But I don't think he's proven chimself to be a "great" coach. I hope he does so, and leads the Steelers to another Super Bowl win. I don't think it's "unfanly" at all to point out his shortcomings, or to say that he needs to be held accountable for his mistakes. Steelers fans come with all kinds of different ideas -- I think people need to be very careful about proclaiming someone to be "not a true fan" merely because certain of their ideas might be different ... or frankly, even seem a bit crazy.

Nobody believes that Mike Tomlin is above criticism...

But, some posters believe that Tomlin deserves only criticism and derision...

It is the completely unreasonable posters who are called out...

feltdizz
03-27-2018, 10:09 AM
Nobody believes that Mike Tomlin is above criticism...

But, some posters believe that Tomlin deserves only criticism and derision...

yet let me say something critical about Ben on one of his bad days

Those same folks..

"WHY DO YOU HATE BEN?.. LEMME GUESS WHY???"

lolz

RuthlessBurgher
03-27-2018, 10:51 AM
At most the "rule" got him the interview,

And we didn't even need to interview Tomlin to satisfy the Rooney Rule, because they had already interviewed another minority candidate prior to Tomlin when they brought in Ron Rivera.

steelz09
03-27-2018, 10:52 AM
Considering we are a playoff team a year away from getting to the conference championship game, what standard would be required to avoid a "break" year?
SB win or bust?

I said this earlier in this thread. It doesn't matter if the team is 9-7 or 13-3. If the team shows up (or lack there of) and lays an egg in their first playoff game like they did this year, he's done. The minority owners were pushing for it after the Jags debacle.

There were to many distractions, lack of discipline, confusion, etc. Constantly overlooking opponents doesn't help.

Steel Maniac
03-27-2018, 11:06 AM
I said this earlier in this thread. It doesn't matter if the team is 9-7 or 13-3. If the team shows up (or lack there of) and lays an egg in their first playoff game like they did this year, he's done. The minority owners were pushing for it after the Jags debacle.

There were to many distractions, lack of discipline, confusion, etc. Constantly overlooking opponents doesn't help.

I'm glad you said this; Your an administrator so certain people won't call you names like "delusional" and stuff. But when I said this, certain people dismissed the idea.

feltdizz
03-27-2018, 11:10 AM

minority owners have no power... you folks are delusional (I added it just cause I can)

Colbert laughed them off.

I don't know of too many young coaches with a SB ring, a SB appearance and an AFCCG appearance who are on the hot seat after a 13-3 season.

It's frustrating but teams lose a lot more than they win in this league so a coach like Tomlin isn't going anywhere unless we go 0-16 and he sets the stadium on fire.

Buzz
03-27-2018, 11:14 AM
I'm glad you said this; Your an administrator so certain people won't call you names like "delusional" and stuff. But when I said this, certain people dismissed the idea.
Oh, but wait a minute--

:lol:

steelz09
03-27-2018, 11:24 AM
minority owners have no power... you folks are delusional (I added it just cause I can)

Colbert laughed them off.

I don't know of too many young coaches with a SB ring, a SB appearance and an AFCCG appearance who are on the hot seat after a 13-3 season.

It's frustrating but teams lose a lot more than they win in this league so a coach like Tomlin isn't going anywhere unless we go 0-16 and he sets the stadium on fire.

They dont have any power? Hahaha. What world do you live in, man?!? A fairytale? Investors always have power. ALWAYS. They can't make the final decision but if they get fed up and walk out as investors, the Rooneys are in a world of ****.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. The fact that there was a dozen posts on here defining a fan is actually quite humorous. You guys really allow squid to get under your skin that much? Haha

Buzz
03-27-2018, 11:38 AM
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. The fact that there was a dozen posts on here defining a fan is actually quite humorous. You guys really allow squid to get under your skin that much? Haha
It is pretty funny.

feltdizz
03-27-2018, 11:59 AM
They dont have any power? Hahaha. What world do you live in, man?!? A fairytale? Investors always have power. ALWAYS. They can't make the final decision but if they get fed up and walk out as investors, the Rooneys are in a world of ****.

You really think if they decided to "walk out" there aren't other investors ready to jump in?

If they can't make the final decision.. what power do they really have?

The power to leave? Whoa... that'll show'em

Sugar
03-27-2018, 12:31 PM

Disagree. Short of a full-on implosion or a scandal, Mike Tomlin is thankfully here to stay as long as he likes. Minority owners that don't like it can go and buy franchises like the Browns. Others will be lining up to take their place.

Going 13-3, with one loss being a disputed game against the defending world champions doesn't show that they're overlooking too many opponents. As for "distractions," I think the whole league is full of them and they are being amplified to try and increase ratings for sports shows/networks.

feltdizz
03-27-2018, 01:01 PM
Disagree. Short of a full-on implosion or a scandal, Mike Tomlin is thankfully here to stay as long as he likes. Minority owners that don't like it can go and buy franchises like the Browns. Others will be lining up to take their place.

Going 13-3, with one loss being a disputed game against the defending world champions doesn't show that they're overlooking too many opponents. As for "distractions," I think the whole league is full of them and they are being amplified to try and increase ratings for sports shows/networks.

well, Tepper is a minority owner, he owns 5%. He is worth $11 Billion dollars and the price for the Panthers is 2 Billion and rising. I think it shows how folks with that type of money are always in the wings to grab some shares in hopes one day to own a team so they can make these types of decisions.

As far as discipline and distractions. It's laughable. Aaron Hernendez was a distraction. What we witnessed last year was petty reports being amplified by fanatic fans who always look for reasons to blame players and coaches for a loss.

Eich
03-27-2018, 03:51 PM
As far as discipline and distractions. It's laughable. Aaron Hernendez was a distraction. What we witnessed last year was petty reports being amplified by fanatic fans who always look for reasons to blame players and coaches for a loss.

There are varying levels of distractions. I think we had our fair share:

Bell's hold-out.
MB reinstated late, then wanting off the team & battling with a fan over JuJu being the better receiver.
Anthem debacle.
AB goes off on the Gatorade jug.
Haleyís STFU (Ben?) moment.
Ben at odds with Haley, wanting Fichtner to come out of the booth.
Ben wanting more discipline.
Losing Shazier in such an awful, sickening way.
Harrison mistreated and going to the dark side.

steelz09
03-27-2018, 03:56 PM
People don't become billionaires without wanting or requiring their voices to be heard. That's not how they get filthy rich or wealthy. Quite the opposite, actually.

There won't be billionaires lining up if they feel like the Rooneys have the attitude of "give me your money but keep your mouth shut because we don't want to hear your opinion" attitude.

Sugar
03-27-2018, 04:03 PM
People don't become billionaires without wanting or requiring their voices to be heard. That's not how they get filthy rich or wealthy. Quite the opposite, actually.

There won't be billionaires lining up if they feel like the Rooneys have the attitude of "give me your money but keep your mouth shut because we don't want to hear your opinion" attitude.

Sure they do. It's called being a silent partner. Being a "part owner" of a legendary franchise is only going to be a small piece of the portfolio for a person like that.

steelz09
03-27-2018, 04:04 PM
There are varying levels of distractions. I think we had our fair share:

Bell's hold-out.
MB reinstated late, then wanting off the team & battling with a fan over JuJu being the better receiver.
Anthem debacle.
AB goes off on the Gatorade jug.
Haley’s STFU (Ben?) moment.
Ben at odds with Haley, wanting Fichtner to come out of the booth.
Ben wanting more discipline.
Losing Shazier in such an awful, sickening way.
Harrison mistreated and going to the dark side.

The Tomlin interview in which he made a statement about looking ahead to the Pats. Bad example for a team that has a bad history of looking ahead and consequently losing to inferior opponents.

Mitchell talking smack outside of the Jags locker room before the game.

Coaches and bar fight.

The year before, AB broadcasting on FB Live when he should have been listening to the HC. The coach makes a comment which turns into bulletin board material and like normal, the Pats kick the Steelers ass.

Slapstick
03-27-2018, 04:10 PM
It is pretty funny.

Or pretty sad that there have to be such posts...

Slapstick
03-27-2018, 04:12 PM
Tomlin made the Pats** comment...and then the Steelers won...and when they played the Pats**, they also won until Al Riveron said they didn’t...

You didn’t like what Tomlin said, but that didn’t stop the Steelers from winning...

steelz09
03-27-2018, 04:20 PM
Or pretty sad that there have to be such posts...

Who cares what squid's views on Tomlin are. He is entitled to have his opinion just like everyone else. I don't believe he actually wants the Steelers to lose in spite of Tomlin. I doubt that.

Quite frankly, I support criticism of the team. Fans have a tendency to have blinders on and think every decision made is good because they can't take emotion out of the equation and look at thinks objectively.

Similar to draft picks, people get into love fests with the players we draft but fail to understand that there are 31 other teams that drafted too. Just because our player was good doesn't mean the other teams (even one's after our pick) didn't draft better.
God forbid, everyone doesn't agree with each other.

steelz09
03-27-2018, 04:24 PM
Tomlin made the Pats** comment...and then the Steelers won...and when they played the Pats**, they also won until Al Riveron said they didn’t...

You didn’t like what Tomlin said, but that didn’t stop the Steelers from winning...

They didn't win. Get over it. The rule sucks. They implemented the rule correctly.

Then, instead of using the review time to get their **** together, Ben, Haley and Tomlin spent most of the time separated, jerking off or doing whatever else.

What followed, was a moronic play that resulted in a INT where multiple players didn't know the play, didn't know their assignments and most just standed in place after the snap.

Good all around coaching and execution.

Steel Maniac
03-27-2018, 04:25 PM
Who cares what squid's views on Tomlin are. He is entitled to have his opinion just like everyone else. I don't believe he actually wants the Steelers to lose in spite of Tomlin. I doubt that.

Quite frankly, I support criticism of the team. Fans have a tendency to have blinders on and think every decision made is good because they can't take emotion out of the equation and look at thinks objectively.

Similar to draft picks, people get into love fests with the players we draft but fail to understand that there are 31 other teams that drafted too. Just because our player was good doesn't mean the other teams (even one's after our pick) didn't draft better.

This is Steel Maniac and I approve of this post. LOL

Steel Maniac
03-27-2018, 04:27 PM
What followed, was a moronic play that resulted in a INT where multiple players didn't know the play, didn't know their assignments and most just standed in place after the snap.

Good all around coaching and execution.

But Tomlin gets a pass on that too from most posters. That play infuriates me to think about. Ben throwing the ball into a ton of guys in the end zone when if you see that, you throw it away and kick the field goal for overtime. It's that simple.

feltdizz
03-27-2018, 04:57 PM
The play where Tomlin is seen screaming no at Ben for an ill advised throw is Tomlins fault?

Okay

From what I see more times than not we are in a position to win most games.

Just because we donít win every game doesnít mean Tomlin is failing as a coach.

steelz09
03-27-2018, 05:07 PM
The play where Tomlin is seek screaming no at Ben for an ill advised throw is Tomlins fault?

Okay.

Why wasn't Tomlin collaborating with his QB and OC during the review process which took damn near an eternity. Maybe, the players would have known what the damn play call was. It was one of the worst coaching displays I've seen all year.

The oline, Bell and many others just stood there like it was supposed to be a spike. How could everyone be so confused. I know why! It doesn't take a god damn rocket scientist. No one actually communicated during the review process so the team knew the play. Ben is equally at fault.

They were doing NOTHING during the review process. The OC, HC and QB weren't even talking.

I guess I just have to high of expectations. I shouldnt expect coaches to, ya know, actually coach.

Maybe they are just overpaid janitors?!?!

Then, typical Ben, throws his coaches under the bus after the game.

Buzz
03-27-2018, 05:55 PM
The play where Tomlin is seen screaming no at Ben for an ill advised throw is Tomlins fault?

Okay

From what I see more times than not we are in a position to win most games.

Just because we don’t win every game doesn’t mean Tomlin is failing as a coach.
The best time for Tomlin to tell Ben not to throw might have been BEFORE they went back on the field and started the play. Ben and Haley were responsible for the debacle -- but I don't see how the HC should get a pass. Open your mouth and make it clear what you want in a crucial situation like that. You've gotta have some communication--they didn't. Result, big fail and a loss.

It's true that "just because we don't win every game doesn't mean Tomlin is failing as a coach." But at the end of the season and in the playoffs, he failed in some pretty big moments (see esp. the Jacksonville game). IMO, he needs to feel a little heat to get that turned around.

Hopefully he does, and leads us to a couple more Super Bowl wins (or more).

Steel Maniac
03-27-2018, 05:58 PM
Why wasn't Tomlin collaborating with his QB and OC during the review process which took damn near an eternity. Maybe, the players would have known what the damn play call was. It was one of the worst coaching displays I've seen all year.

The oline, Bell and many others just stood there like it was supposed to be a spike. How could everyone be so confused. I know why! It doesn't take a god damn rocket scientist. No one actually communicated during the review process so the team knew the play. Ben is equally at fault.

They were doing NOTHING during the review process. The OC, HC and QB weren't even talking.

I guess I just have to high of expectations. I shouldnt expect coaches to, ya know, actually coach.

All of the above falls squarely at the feet of the coach. People can't keep giving Tomlin a pass, year after year. It has been 10 years since we won anything and that's 10 years worth of excuses. Especially the last 5 years when this team should have been in the Super Bowl at least once.

Yet..there's always a bug a boo for Tomlin. For a year and a half it was the Ravens..and during that time, they came in and eliminated us in the playoffs..at home; and Seven straight losses to the Patriots; and now , the Jags own us!

Always excuses for why going on ten years and counting, he can't get it done....IN THE PLAYOFFS!

ikestops85
03-27-2018, 06:01 PM

Um, I believe there was another play after the overturn of the James catch and the interception. Did you want Tomlin to see into the future and realize Ben was going to throw short of the endzone and we were going to be tackled? What did you want them to do during the review process, say to Ben throw it short and then when we are tackled fake the spike and throw a TD? Or call a play that will get them a TD right then and there?

Buzz
03-27-2018, 06:31 PM
Um, I believe there was another play after the overturn of the James catch and the interception. Did you want Tomlin to see into the future and realize Ben was going to throw short of the endzone and we were going to be tackled? What did you want them to do during the review process, say to Ben throw it short and then when we are tackled fake the spike and throw a TD? Or call a play that will get them a TD right then and there?
During the review process, you call two plays. You make sure Ben knows that if he doesn't get the TD on 2nd down, then on 3rd down you either a) get your teammates lined up quickly and spike it, or b) run a pass play--but if there's no one wide open then throw it out of the end zone. Then you could at least try for a tying FG on 4th down and go to overtime. They had plenty of time to go over all those things, if they would have indeed wanted to do so.

Slapstick
03-27-2018, 07:26 PM

He IS entitled to have his opinion, just like anyone else....and, provided that he follows the rules of the forum, he can post those opinions, just like anyone else...and, once they are posted, they are subject to questioning and challenge, JUST LIKE EVERYONE ELSE....

Disco1981
03-27-2018, 07:37 PM
I coached.Albeit youth sports. And it just absolutely blows my mind...That a professional team ( a good one too ) Would not know....During the biggest game, and the biggest play of the year...100% what was going on!

Ex: Ok Everybody listen... L I S T E N..." Ben, You are going to fake a reverse,and bootleg left...We are hoping for a pick play, or somebody popping wide open...If he does, take it...If a defender shoots thru,or the play is covered...Heave it into the 5th row, and we'll kick it...Got it...G O T I T!

With all the time they had, and the luxury of having an abudance, and supposedly some of the best coaches in world...AND a HOF QB...

That not ONE player would say " Uhhhhhh, I'm not exactly sure what we are running" That is Haleys, Bens, Any offensive player or coach...And ultimately Tomlins fault...imo!

steelz09
03-27-2018, 07:58 PM
I coached.Albeit youth sports. And it just absolutely blows my mind...That a professional team ( a good one too ) Would not know....During the biggest game, and the biggest play of the year...100% what was going on!

Ex: Ok Everybody listen... L I S T E N..." Ben, You are going to fake a reverse,and bootleg left...We are hoping for a pick play, or somebody popping wide open...If he does, take it...If a defender shoots thru,or the play is covered...Heave it into the 5th row...Got it...G O T I T!

With all the time they had, and the luxury of having an abudance, and supposedly some of the best coaches in world...AND a HOF QB...

That not ONE player would say " Uhhhhhh, I'm not exactly sure what we are running" That is Haleys, Bens, Any offensive player or coach...And ultimately Tomlins fault...imo!

100% accurate. A bad coach in pee wee football would have developed a plan during a LOONNNGG review like that.

Nope, not the Pittsburgh Steelers coaching staff. A plan? Who needs it!

Disco1981
03-27-2018, 08:06 PM
100% accurate. A bad coach in pee wee football would have developed a plan during a LOONNNGG review like that.

Nope, not the Pittsburgh Steelers coaching staff. A plan? Who needs it!

It just seemed something was off last year...Like I stated, How could your eyes not be like saucers, and every fiber of your being, not be 100% focused on that particular play...It's mind boggleing

SanAntonioSteelerFan
03-27-2018, 08:35 PM
Fair or not, whenever there is an urgent on-field decision to be made, I pretty much assume Tomlin will blow it badly, followed by his giving the evil saucer-eyes look. Other examples are things like whether to go for one or two points, whether to go for it on 4th down, whether to throw the flag, etc.

Quick in-game on-field decisions are just not his strength IMO.

If he does happen to make a good pressured call, it's like lagniappe.

feltdizz
03-27-2018, 09:08 PM
If you can’t trust your HOF QB to throw it into the stands if nothing is open when down by 3...

just sayin’

Is there any other QB of Ben’s pedigree who would try that pass?

Is there any coach who would have enough power to stop Ben from trying that pass?

Captain Lemming
03-27-2018, 10:50 PM
Who cares what squid's views on Tomlin are. He is entitled to have his opinion just like everyone else.

Understood, and he can be criticized for them.

I don't believe he actually wants the Steelers to lose in spite of Tomlin. I doubt that.

Based on what.....been here since 2012 and he has never said it.
Conversely, he has time and time again rejoiced when things go wrong. Disappears when things go right.

"Emotion" works both ways dude. Calling for a SB winning coaches head if he doesnt win it all despite having more success than all but one coach in the league?
That is not "thinking" it is emotion.

True

You see my posts? Rarely post "me too" "I agree"
I come here to "argue" period.

If everybody "agreed" with me I would be bored. I LUV that stuff.

Nobody is scared of a different POV. Bring it!!!

NorthCoast
03-27-2018, 10:51 PM
I didn't scroll through the 14 pages so maybe this was already posted. Pretty damning evidence that Tomlin needs help with in-game decisions like clock management and challenges:

During the 2017 regular season, Tomlin was 0-4 in coachesí challenges and according to Brad Gagnon of The Comeback, he was one of just four head coaches who failed to win a challenge during the year (http://thecomeback.com/nfl/which-nfl-head-coaches-best-worst-challengers.html). If thatís not enough cause for concern, Tomlinís 3-12 record on coachesí challenges over the course of the last three seasons was the worst challenge success rate among active head coaches during those three seasons.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
03-27-2018, 10:56 PM
I didn't scroll through the 14 pages so maybe this was already posted. Pretty damning evidence that Tomlin needs help with in-game decisions like clock management and challenges:

Ok, so what you quoted (which doesn't appear in this post) seems to justify my gut feeling that Coach T is pretty awful making real-time games decisions.

No one has got it all.

(Hey, those who remember - did the Emperor ever make bonehead decisions in-game?).

Captain Lemming
03-27-2018, 10:58 PM
The fact that there was a dozen posts on here DEFENDING a pseudo-fan is actually quite humorous. You guys really allow debates with squid to get under your skin that much? Haha

Fixed that for you. :)

Captain Lemming
03-27-2018, 11:17 PM
BTW Squid has been here for years. The reason why this took off now is that newbies are so upset that he gets no love from many here.
The comment "we all want the same thing" defending him was the impetus.

Buzz said it. 09 said it. Maniac said it.
You ALL doubt Tomlin but have in one thread said you ALL want Tomlin to succeed despite your lack of confidence in him. Great.

But if someone is incapable of uttering that sentiment because he has proven for years that he would rather see the team lose than win as long as Tomlin is coach I too can make that point clear.

I AGAIN welcome his clear statement to the contrary.

Squid under the current circumstance, with Tomlin is coach, do you "want" the Steelers to have success?

feltdizz
03-28-2018, 12:03 AM

Would love to know the win loss record of coaches with successful challenge records.

If you are successful with challenges but have a .500 or worse winning percentage does that make you a better in game coach?

Steel Maniac
03-28-2018, 12:20 AM
BTW Squid has been here for years. The reason why this took off now is that newbies are so upset that he gets no love from many here.
The comment "we all want the same thing" defending him was the impetus.

Buzz said it. 09 said it. Maniac said it.
You ALL doubt Tomlin but have in one thread said you ALL want Tomlin to succeed despite your lack of confidence in him. Great.

But if someone is incapable of uttering that sentiment because he has proven for years that he would rather see the team lose than win as long as Tomlin is coach I too can make that point clear.

I AGAIN welcome his clear statement to the contrary.

Squid under the current circumstance, with Tomlin is coach, do you "want" the Steelers to have success?

I know what your saying cap and I guess it’s just a matter of longevity. A lot of you have more experience with him then us newbies. Lol. I think this is kind of a dead horse now. We all can move on and let’s just focus on our team now.

Slapstick
03-28-2018, 09:07 AM
I know what your saying cap and I guess it’s just a matter of longevity. A lot of you have more experience with him then us newbies. Lol. I think this is kind of a dead horse now. We all can move on and let’s just focus on our team now.

It is a dead horse...until the next time squid invariably brings it on the discussion board...then, wash, rinse, repeat....

feltdizz
03-28-2018, 09:11 AM
It is a dead horse...until the next time squid invariably brings it on the discussion board...then, wash, rinse, repeat....

always cracks me up when folks on a discussion board don't want to discuss things.

we wont always agree but that what the board is for right?

we type, we read, we respond, etc...

Northern_Blitz
03-28-2018, 09:39 AM
Would love to know the win loss record of coaches with successful challenge records.

If you are successful with challenges but have a .500 or worse winning percentage does that make you a better in game coach?

It would also be interesting to look at the situations coaches throw flags in. I wonder how many times coaches are thinking that calling a TO wouldn't be a bad decision to calm their guys down and regroup a bit. But it's after a big play that might get overturned, so they challenge the play. Even if they lose the challenge, it might not be a bad coaching decision.

Eich
03-28-2018, 09:39 AM
always cracks me up when folks on a discussion board don't want to discuss things.

we wont always agree but that what the board is for right?

we type, we read, we respond, etc...

I agree. However, there are also some discussions that run their course but certain people bring the same things up over and over and over and over. Crash for example. Broken record. How many different ways can you discuss that Ben can do no wrong, Haley can do no right and that the team just wastes Ben's talent?

Northern_Blitz
03-28-2018, 09:43 AM

Ex: Ok Everybody listen... L I S T E N..." Ben, You are going to fake a reverse,and bootleg left...We are hoping for a pick play, or somebody popping wide open...If he does, take it...If a defender shoots thru,or the play is covered...Heave it into the 5th row, and we'll kick it...Got it...G O T I T!

That not ONE player would say " Uhhhhhh, I'm not exactly sure what we are running" That is Haleys, Bens, Any offensive player or coach...And ultimately Tomlins fault...imo!.

It's even more damning when you think about how much time that replay took. They used none of that time to plan what they would do if the play was overturned. It's pretty clear that they were sure it was a catch and didn't bother to have a plan.

I like Tomlin and think that the only coach I'd rather have is in NE. But, the coaching on that play was absolutely terrible. The execution on the pick was also pretty bad, but the players weren't put in a great situation to succeed despite having an eternity to prepare for the play.

feltdizz
03-28-2018, 10:13 AM
I agree. However, there are also some discussions that run their course but certain people bring the same things up over and over and over and over. Crash for example. Broken record. How many different ways can you discuss that Ben can do no wrong, Haley can do no right and that the team just wastes Ben's talent?

apparently it can be discussed to no end.

feltdizz
03-28-2018, 10:16 AM

It's even more damning when you think about how much time that replay took. They used none of that time to plan what they would do if the play was overturned. It's pretty clear that they were sure it was a catch and didn't bother to have a plan.

I like Tomlin and think that the only coach I'd rather have is in NE. But, the coaching on that play was absolutely terrible. The execution on the pick was also pretty bad, but the players weren't put in a great situation to succeed despite having an eternity to prepare for the play.

while it all falls on Tomlin at the end of the day.. that's still mostly Haley's fault.

Dude has one job. Call plays on offense.

Northern_Blitz
03-28-2018, 11:34 AM
while it all falls on Tomlin at the end of the day.. that's still mostly Haley's fault.

Dude has one job. Call plays on offense.

I think that's a reasonable way to look at it. I think that's better grounds for letting Haley go than him and Ben don't get along (despite getting good results).