PDA

View Full Version : Morgan Burnett

steeler_george
03-20-2018, 04:40 AM
Rumour has it he is coming is expected to sign with us!

I was just reading abouot him, kept saying that he is a "complete safety" does everything well. Cover, solid tackler, supports the run.

image: http://walterfootball.com/images/fball/packersb_logo.gif
http://walterfootball.com/images/fball/packersb_logo.gifGreen Bay's defense has been atrocious in recent seasons, but don't blame Morgan Burnett. The 29-year-old is the centerpiece of Green Bay's defense, playing numerous positions. He should be able to perform on an extremely high level for at least three more years.

At first, I was thinking he was too old at 29. We usually sign FA who are going on 2nd contract.

Other thoughts on Honey badger, I was all for us picking him up, ( high stake hig reward) but I was a bit skeptic due to his injuries and heard how he was a big ego/ not team player. His signing with Houston just showed that, wasn't he asked to take a pay cut from his 19M, and refused so they cut him. Then he goes and signs with Houston at a paycut of 7 M, one year.

Are we going to cut Wilcox now or keep him post draft.

Ernie
03-20-2018, 04:53 AM
Loving this! Kudos to the FO for addressing the Defense's biggest needs prior to the draft.

Slapstick
03-20-2018, 06:00 AM
He’s played a little of everything (SS, FS, CB), and started a lot of games in a 3-4 Zone Blitz defense...

It puts a capable starter on the roster and gives maximum draft flexibility...

I hope it happens...

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
03-20-2018, 07:34 AM
Dam Front office...Pretending they don't know what they are doing.

It would be good signing. Simply put...All starters would be under contract. Wide open draft.

James, LVE, Evans gone...Landry or Vea slip..Gesicki...I'm in.

A True BPA in the first. Some may not be happy!

I would still like a vet 2 Gap NT. Draft DE later for depth.

feltdizz
03-20-2018, 08:29 AM
How is this even possible?

I thought we couldnt do
anything with Bell?

steelerkeylargo
03-20-2018, 08:37 AM
Great signing. Probably the best available Safety. Awesome in run support and will make our Safeties totally interchangeable. Similar to when we signed Ryan Clark at age 27. He is not the big hitter Clark was, but hey, not many are. I love this signing.

Buzz
03-20-2018, 08:38 AM

I thought we couldnt do
anything with Bell?

Maybe they're going to pull the tag on Bell and let him go. Or maybe Ben agreed to a restructure/extension.

Also, they can make up some of the diff by axing JJ Wilcox and his $3.5 million/year salary.

Buzz
03-20-2018, 08:45 AM
Great signing. Probably the best available Safety. Awesome in run support and will make our Safeties totally interchangeable. Similar to when we signed Ryan Clark at age 27. He is not the big hitter Clark was, but hey, not many are. I love this signing.
Much better addition than the honey badger would have been, IMO, and better than Eric Reid, too. I didn't see it coming because I didn't think the Steelers would/could spend that much money.

Northern_Blitz
03-20-2018, 08:46 AM

I thought we couldnt do
anything with Bell?

As usual, our big UFA splash is the internal guy. Then, we went with low cost guys that are high risk (injury concern at ILB) or old (at FS) at positions of need. I think that this was pretty much the expected result because the team didn't want to let Bell walk, I don't think anyone's going to want to trade for him, and he's not willing to sign the lucrative long term deal the team offered.

I think that these two additions suggest that we won't get torched on D and the O should still be awesome.

I like that this allows us to lean more towards BPA (to the usual BPA at a position of at least moderate need).

I also like that both guys we picked up seem to have some versatility. That should give us some flexibility going into the 2019 season (if Bostic doesn't get hurt and Burnett doesn't sharply decline). If they get passed by the guys we draft, there should still be room for these guys. Maybe Bostic competing with Williams or Burnett in nickle or dime.

Steel Maniac
03-20-2018, 08:55 AM
Much better addition than the honey badger would have been, IMO, and better than Eric Reid, too. I didn't see it coming because I didn't think the Steelers would/could spend that much money.

Yep.. I too like him more then the honey badger. Props to Colbert for working it out. I’m really excited about this signing.

Buzz
03-20-2018, 08:57 AM
If Eric Reid comes cheap enough, maybe we should still pick him up. A safety rotation of Burnett/Davis/Reid would be pretty good, and give us a lot of flexibility and options should one of the ILBs go down to injury. Behind our starters (Bostic and Williams), there's not a lot of depth, particularly at the Mack. But you have a couple of safeties in that group that could function fairly well as LBs, if need be.

feltdizz
03-20-2018, 09:07 AM
As usual, our big UFA splash is the internal guy. Then, we went with low cost guys that are high risk (injury concern at ILB) or old (at FS) at positions of need. I think that this was pretty much the expected result because the team didn't want to let Bell walk, I don't think anyone's going to want to trade for him, and he's not willing to sign the lucrative long term deal the team offered.

I think that these two additions suggest that we won't get torched on D and the O should still be awesome.

I like that this allows us to lean more towards BPA (to the usual BPA at a position of at least moderate need).

I also like that both guys we picked up seem to have some versatility. That should give us some flexibility going into the 2019 season (if Bostic doesn't get hurt and Burnett doesn't sharply decline). If they get passed by the guys we draft, there should still be room for these guys. Maybe Bostic competing with Williams or Burnett in nickle or dime.

I think our FO knows what they are doing.

Steel Maniac
03-20-2018, 09:11 AM

As long as they do what goes along with your thinking.lol. But if they take Rudolph in round one, then you have a problem. Lmfao!!! I’m sorry but I just had to get that one in there. I’ll leave it alone. :smile:

Slapstick
03-20-2018, 09:33 AM
This signing will not be for a lot of money. Unless Burnett took it upon himself to “correct” the market for safeties...

Ernie
03-20-2018, 09:38 AM
Just read on NFL.com where he is signing. Haven't seen the terms of the deal yet... but I would tend to agree with Slappy (not looking to correct the market). Burnett is showing as being ranked 29th out of 100+ free agents on the market. Definite upgrade over MM!

feltdizz
03-20-2018, 09:39 AM
As long as they do what goes along with your thinking.lol. But if they take Rudolph in round one, then you have a problem. Lmfao!!! I’m sorry but I just had to get that one in there. I’ll leave it alone. :smile:

I seriously doubt they would take Rudolph.

I told someone earlier most of my post about contracts and FA’s is based on what I think the FO will do and not based on what I want.

I think this is why so many of you guys get upset with me or think I’m being a contrarian.

Trading Bell for 1st rounders or making big moves in FA just isn’t realistic.

So when folks say we can’t address the D due to Bell’s contract... it wasn’t based on facts. It was all emotion.

We addressed the D last year when we had to pay Bell 12.5 mill. Our FO is extremely savvy.

We believe in the draft, rewarding our drafted players and spending wisely in FA.

Steel Maniac
03-20-2018, 09:46 AM
If Eric Reid comes cheap enough, maybe we should still pick him up. A safety rotation of Burnett/Davis/Reid would be pretty good, and give us a lot of flexibility and options should one of the ILBs go down to injury. Behind our starters (Bostic and Williams), there's not a lot of depth, particularly at the Mack. But you have a couple of safeties in that group that could function fairly well as LBs, if need be.

I would like that but that sounds to logical to happen. LOL

Steel Maniac
03-20-2018, 09:48 AM

I told someone earlier most of my post about contracts and FA’s is based on what I think the FO will do and not based on what I want.

I think this is why so many of you guys get upset with me or think I’m being a contrarian.

So when folks say we can’t address the D due to Bell’s contract... it wasn’t based on facts. It was all emotion.

We addressed the D last year when we had to pay Bell 12.5 mill. Our FO is extremely savvy.

We believe in the draft, rewarding our drafted players and spending wisely in FA.

I've been with the Steelers since 69 :rolleyes: Duhhhhh...I'm just busting your balls Feltz. R.............E..............L.............A...... .........X.

Ernie
03-20-2018, 09:48 AM
The FO is "Extremely savvy"... agree 100%.
It appears they've "Drawn the line" with Bell, and Bell is not willing to cross it. If Bell doesn't retire, 2018 will be his last year. The FO knows another year of 400 touches will certainly not increase his value (wear and tear) but Bell will stick to his 15+ million a year #. I think the FO is doing it right with renting him another year and then sending him up the road. I hope we draft a RB early, get increased reps for Conner, and get ready for the transition away from Bell. Bostic and Burnette have allowed us to do just that.

Steel Maniac
03-20-2018, 09:49 AM
Just read on NFL.com where he is signing. Haven't seen the terms of the deal yet... but I would tend to agree with Slappy (not looking to correct the market). Burnett is showing as being ranked 29th out of 100+ free agents on the market. Definite upgrade over MM!

If you'd have told us in week 6 of the season that we would drop MM and get Burnett, there'd have been a parade right then! Stoked about this move.

Ernie
03-20-2018, 09:57 AM
Same here, Steel. Very excited about Burnett and Boston.

SteelerOfDeVille
03-20-2018, 10:20 AM
I would still like a vet 2 Gap NT. Draft DE later for depth.been saying that, too....

Buzz
03-20-2018, 10:20 AM
Same here, Steel. Very excited about Burnett and Boston.Boston? Do you know something I don't? We're signing Tre Boston too? Can't see us squeezing the $$$ out for that one.

Steel Maniac
03-20-2018, 10:26 AM
been saying that, too....

Now this...........this could be a surprise move. Because I was listening to Tomlin and he said that he wanted to be able to take away a teams first option and that we couldn't take away Fournette. Boy..a big run stuffing DT? Not a bad idea. Yeah we've got other needs and depth issues but we need to stop that run when we want to.

RuthlessBurgher
03-20-2018, 10:28 AM
Boston? Do you know something I don't? We're signing Tre Boston too? Can't see us squeezing the $$$ out for that one.

I think he meant Burnett and Bostic. Perhaps Bostic autocorrected to Boston (although it is funny that we also have shown interest in a free agent safety named Boston).

Ernie
03-20-2018, 10:43 AM
Boston? Do you know something I don't? We're signing Tre Boston too? Can't see us squeezing the $$$ out for that one.

Yea.. sorry about that. It's a good thing weve got folks around like you who worry enough about petty b.s. like that to actually comment

feltdizz
03-20-2018, 10:46 AM
been saying that, too....

*Stands in this line*

yup, been saying it since Big Snack left. If you run the 3-4 you need that stud in the middle.

You got walked over because “it’s a passing league”

smh

RuthlessBurgher
03-20-2018, 10:57 AM
David Todd
(@DavidMTodd)

A very notable characteristic of both Bostic & Burnett is their intelligence & ability to call defensive signals & communicate. Has been an on-going problem for #Steelers defense.

Steel Maniac
03-20-2018, 10:59 AM
David Todd
(@DavidMTodd)

A very notable characteristic of both Bostic & Burnett is their intelligence & ability to call defensive signals & communicate. Has been an on-going problem for #Steelers defense.

Yes it has. And to get a guy who can come in and do that and be a leader back there is huge for us. Huge.

Slapstick
03-20-2018, 11:12 AM
A couple of veteran presences to stabilize things on defense...Haden and Burnett along with youngsters Burns, Davis, Hilton, and Sutton...Bostic (and Williams) to go along with Fort, Matakevitch, and presumably a rookie...

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
03-20-2018, 11:12 AM
David Todd
(@DavidMTodd)

Interesting. I wonder how many of the FA safeties have experience calling out the D. Perhaps Burnett is the safety with the highest football IQ, and that is why they chose to go with him rather than look into the Honey Badger, Reid etc.

Slapstick
03-20-2018, 11:17 AM
I would still like a vet 2 Gap NT. Draft DE later for depth.

Johnathan Hankins left Washington without a contract...

Ernie
03-20-2018, 11:19 AM
Same here, Steel. Very excited about Burnett and Bostic.

Edited to fix initial error: "Boston"

steelerkeylargo
03-20-2018, 11:25 AM

I assure you Mason Rudolph is very much in play for the Steelers. If the top 4 LB'ers fall off the board before they pick, there is a strong chance that Rudolph is the pick.

feltdizz
03-20-2018, 11:30 AM
I assure you Mason Rudolph is very much in play for the Steelers. If the top 4 LB'ers fall off the board before they pick, there is a strong chance that Rudolph is the pick.

We shall see. I wouldn’t be surprised if one of his college WR’s is in play but Rudolph at 28 would be a reach.

Ernie
03-20-2018, 11:39 AM
If Rudolph is the QB of the future, I don't care where we take him. I guess that's the essential question though...and it seems the answers are all over the board.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
03-20-2018, 11:44 AM
If Rudolph or Jackson or any QB you think is your future..you take him Rd 1. Even a guy who grades early 2nd if you're picking end of 1st. Why? 5th year option. Which actually would make tons of sense given BB being here.

RuthlessBurgher
03-20-2018, 12:13 PM
Burnett vs. Mathieu:

Burnett seems to be more of a steadying influence in the defensive backfield (a la Ryan Clark for us), while Honey Badger would have been more of an unconventional wild card type (poor man's Polamalu).

The team could use Burnett and Davis interchangeably (although both were officially listed as strong safeties, there has been talk about possibly moving Davis to FS, and Burnett has played FS in GB as well as several other positions ranging from slot corner to dime backer in the nickel/dime packages). On the other hand, Honey Badger's role typically was never really a traditional in-the-box safety or deep center fielder type...his role was actually closer to what we ask Mike Hilton to do in the slot.

Mathieu certainly has the age advantage (he will turn 26 in May, while Burnett turned 29 in January), but the fact that we are signing an 8 year vet vs. a 5 year vet means that we are able to add both Burnett and Bostic while keeping Bell. Burnett came from the same draft as Antonio Brown, Maurkice Pouncey, Joe Haden, Tyson Alualu, etc., so he is still in the prime of his career if healthy (same situation as adding Haden last year).

Lastly, both guys have very similar histories with injuries and ongoing injury risks. We'll have to wait and see the numbers to get a true gauge for this signing overall.

Slapstick
03-20-2018, 12:22 PM
Burnett also played his entire career in a defense coached by Don Capers...it is a very similar defense and he was successful in it...

Steel Maniac
03-20-2018, 12:24 PM
If Rudolph or Jackson or any QB you think is your future..you take him Rd 1. Even a guy who grades early 2nd if you're picking end of 1st. Why? 5th year option. Which actually would make tons of sense given BB being here.

If your talent evaluator ( Colbert) says he can play, then you take him and it's only a bad pick if he turns into a bust. Other then that, it doesn't matter where you get your franchise QB. If Colbert says he's legit, then I"m on board. If he's wrong, then that will be addressed later.

Steel Maniac
03-20-2018, 12:25 PM
Burnett vs. Mathieu:

Burnett seems to be more of a steadying influence in the defensive backfield (a la Ryan Clark for us), while Honey Badger would have been more of an unconventional wild card type (poor man's Polamalu).

The team could use Burnett and Davis interchangeably (although both were officially listed as strong safeties, there has been talk about possibly moving Davis to FS, and Burnett has played FS in GB as well as several other positions ranging from slot corner to dime backer in the nickel/dime packages). On the other hand, Honey Badger's role typically was never really a traditional in-the-box safety or deep center fielder type...his role was actually closer to what we ask Mike Hilton to do in the slot.

Mathieu certainly has the age advantage (he will turn 26 in May, while Burnett turned 29 in January), but the fact that we are signing an 8 year vet vs. a 5 year vet means that we are able to add both Burnett and Bostic while keeping Bell. Burnett came from the same draft as Antonio Brown, Maurkice Pouncey, Joe Haden, Tyson Alualu, etc., so he is still in the prime of his career if healthy (same situation as adding Haden last year).

Lastly, both guys have very similar histories with injuries and ongoing injury risks. We'll have to wait and see the numbers to get a true gauge for this signing overall.

Boom.....................

Northern_Blitz
03-20-2018, 12:50 PM

Agreed. It's hard to argue with the long term results they've had. I wanted them to break tendency this off season because I thought that the Shazier injury was a special circumstance. But, if they trust the process I will too.

Northern_Blitz
03-20-2018, 12:57 PM
*Stands in this line*

yup, been saying it since Big Snack left. If you run the 3-4 you need that stud in the middle.

You got walked over because “it’s a passing league”

smh

I think we tried to build a D to play the Pats, but didn't get the matchup because we couldn't beat the Jags. We even did OK against the Pats without Shazier...God I hope that Gronk retires.

Northern_Blitz
03-20-2018, 12:59 PM
Burnett also played his entire career in a defense coached by Don Capers...it is a very similar defense and he was successful in it...

This seems like an important observation.

Ernie
03-20-2018, 01:02 PM
I think we tried to build a D to play the Pats, but didn't get the matchup because we couldn't beat the Jags. We even did OK against the Pats without Shazier...God I hope that Gronk retires.

Yea.. especially since they just reportedly signed C.Patterson.

Rara
03-20-2018, 01:05 PM
Anyone else wondering why it isn't official yet? Sure it has been confirmed from a couple of people but it's not official.

steelerkeylargo
03-20-2018, 01:27 PM
Anyone else wondering why it isn't official yet? Sure it has been confirmed from a couple of people but it's not official.

He was flying in either late last night or early this morning. Meeting the coaches, taking physical, etc....

squidkid
03-20-2018, 01:27 PM
addressing the defense with bums isnt the same as addressing them with studs

Donnieboy
03-20-2018, 01:31 PM

What he ^ said! These two free agents signings (FS and ILB), were not just about filling two needs on defense. It was also so the Steelers could select the player they want in this draft. And that player is Mason Rudolph.

Steel Maniac
03-20-2018, 01:39 PM
What he ^ said! These two free agents signings (FS and ILB), were not just about filling two needs on defense. It was also so the Steelers could select the player they want in this draft. And that player is Mason Rudolph.

Wow... you really speaking with conviction. You that confident that he’s the pick?

steelerkeylargo
03-20-2018, 01:39 PM
3 years 14.5 million for Burnett, done deal

squidkid
03-20-2018, 01:57 PM

thought i read he was asking around 8/year........wonder what happened?

Iron City Inc.
03-20-2018, 02:09 PM

TY SKL for the numbers. I think we all had questions about Boston's price tag. Have to believe he was not looking for high 4's. So numbers for Burnett and Bostic fit the budget. That said both signings are fine but neither is a wow signing. Upgrades over Spence and Golden/Mitchell but I would describe it as only a limited upgrade. And there is nothing wrong with that.

RuthlessBurgher
03-20-2018, 02:17 PM
If your talent evaluator ( Colbert) says he can play, then you take him and it's only a bad pick if he turns into a bust.

https://memegenerator.net/img/instances/73158531/congratulations-you-have-earned-the-captain-obvious-seal-of-approval.jpg

Donnieboy
03-20-2018, 02:21 PM
Wow... you really speaking with conviction. You that confident that he’s the pick?

Anything could happen. But I really believe two things here. The Steelers are very much in love with Rudolph. They see a lot of Ben Roethlisberger in him. And secondly, I honestly believe Rudolph turns out to be the best QB in this draft.

feltdizz
03-20-2018, 02:25 PM
https://memegenerator.net/img/instances/73158531/congratulations-you-have-earned-the-captain-obvious-seal-of-approval.jpg

Its only a bad pick of it turns into a bust?

Jewels have been dropped!!!

Steel Maniac
03-20-2018, 02:25 PM

Well Ruth, I had to say it that way because of who I was talking to. LMFAO!! You speak simple for simple......

RuthlessBurgher
03-20-2018, 02:39 PM

Haven't heard the details yet, but let's guess and say $4.5M of the $14.5 is a guaranteed signing bonus.

If we make the first year base salary $1M, then he'd have a cap number of $2.5M this year, and cap numbers of $6M in 2019 and 2020.

I'm assuming a similar structure to the contact we gave Haden last year that had a $3.1M cap hit in year one, then $11.9M cap hits in years two and three.

Between this deal and the Bostic signing, we should be essentially done in free agency now (other than maybe a minor deal for a ST specialist to replace Golden, given the interest that we have shown in Matthew Slater and Michael Thomas recently).

We should be awfully close to the cap ceiling after these signings, and some more room will need to be opened up to sign our draft class. We have until July 16th to work out a long term deal with Le'Veon Bell. If he signs an extension, that will reduce his 2018 cap number below the $14.5M franchise tag number sufficiently enough to sign our picks. If not, we'll need another restructuring from someone like Cam Heyward.

RuthlessBurgher
03-20-2018, 03:02 PM
addressing the defense with bums isnt the same as addressing them with studs

Is Morgan Burnett a significant improvement over Mike Mitchell? Hell yeah...

And while Jon Bostic is not the long term answer to the Shazier injury (I still think the team would like to add Leighton Vander Esch here), is he an improvement over guys that we finished last season with like Sean Spence, L.J. Fort, Tyler Matakevich, etc.? Yes, indeed.

Our defense is better today than it was at the end of the season, and we did not have to jettison Le'Veon Bell to make that happen.

Just curious as what your approach to free agency would have been for this team? What "studs" would be worthy of big money contracts after you got rid of Bell and his big ol' franchise tag cap hit?

steelz09
03-20-2018, 03:05 PM
The Steelers always do this so they don't need to reach for an exact position.

It allows them to draft BPA at a position of need. That still includes ILB, FS, CB, NT, QB and possibly OLB and RB.

I'm beginning to think Mason Rudolph could be a real possibility with our first round pick.

squidkid
03-20-2018, 03:19 PM
Is Morgan Burnett a significant improvement over Mike Mitchell? Hell yeah...

And while Jon Bostic is not the long term answer to the Shazier injury (I still think the team would like to add Leighton Vander Esch here), is he an improvement over guys that we finished last season with like Sean Spence, L.J. Fort, Tyler Matakevich, etc.? Yes, indeed.

Our defense is better today than it was at the end of the season, and we did not have to jettison Le'Veon Bell to make that happen.

Just curious as what your approach to free agency would have been for this team? What "studs" would be worthy of big money contracts after you got rid of Bell and his big ol' franchise tag cap hit?

its the typical fan approach.........
if bostic and barnett would have come in for a visit and not signed, almost everyone on here would be saying, "the guy is always hurt, hes been on 5 different teams, he costs too much for his production..yadda yadda"
but since they signed its, 'what a great signing, we are already better, what a steal of a FA at that price....yadda yadda"
we havent even see the guy step on our field and people want to claim hes better than x or better than y and he is a much better signig than players l,m,n,o, and p that are still out there

and heaven forbid if the signed with the browns, bengals or ravens............'lol, those guys suck and are always hurt. nice job___________'s'

and BTW, i have never been the fan that says over pay for a player, even our own.............but i find it hilarious how our fans think every move our team makes is 10X better and smarter than every other nfl team before they even put on the steeler uni.

matter of fact, go compare the two career numbers.........almost the same in every category.except more tackles for burnett and more games missed for burnett...................yet some say hes a significant improvement

Slapstick
03-20-2018, 03:24 PM
Yeah, nobody says that stuff but you.

RuthlessBurgher
03-20-2018, 03:26 PM
if bostic and barnett would have come in for a visit and not signed, almost everyone on here would be saying, "the guy is always hurt, hes been on 5 different teans, he costs too much for his production..yadda yadda"
but since they signed its, 'what a great signing, we are already better, what a steal of a FA at that price....yadda yadda"
we havent even see the guy step on opur field and people want to claim hes better than x or better than y and he is a much better signig than players l,m,n,o, and p that are still out there

and heaven forbid if the signed with the browns, bengals or ravens............'lol, those guys suck and are always hurt. nice job___________'s'

and BTW, i have never been the fan that says over pay for a player, even our own.............but i find it hilarious how our fans think every move our team makes is 10X better and smarter than every other nfl team before they even put on the steeler uni.

All I said is that Morgan Burnett is a better safety than Mike Mitchell and Jon Bostic is a better linebacker than Sean Spence, L.J. Fort, and Tyler Matakevich. Do you disagree?

You complain about this team signing bums instead of studs...who are these studs available in free agency this offseason we should have signed instead?

Ernie
03-20-2018, 03:32 PM
if bostic and barnett would have come in for a visit and not signed, almost everyone on here would be saying, "the guy is always hurt, hes been on 5 different teams, he costs too much for his production..yadda yadda"
we havent even see the guy step on our field and people want to claim hes better than x or better than y and he is a much better signig than players l,m,n,o, and p that are still out there

matter of fact, go compare the two career numbers.........almost the same in every category.except more tackles for burnett and more games missed for burnett...................yet some say hes a significant improvement

Squid, Our line backing corp. was garbage after Shazier went down. I am hopeful this kid shows us what a change (for the better) a legit ILB can make for this team next year.

feltdizz
03-20-2018, 03:37 PM
Yeah, nobody says that stuff but you.

the guy from the Dolphins left without a contract and squid called him a POS.

this kid is hilarious

squidkid
03-20-2018, 03:38 PM
Squid, Our line backing corp. was garbage after Shazier went down. I am hopeful this kid shows us what a change (for the better) a legit ILB can make for this team next year.

agreed, our lbs sucked, but to claim that our 2 FAs are haed and shoulder better than the players they are potentially replacing without even seeing them take 1 snap is the epitome of being a fanboy fan.
you are absolutely correct in being hopeful that they will work out, but for some to say they will/will not be upgrades at this point is retarded.

remember how almost everybody moistened their panties when TE green was signed?................lol

squidkid
03-20-2018, 03:39 PM
the guy from the Dolphins left without a contract and squid called him a POS.

this kid is hilarious

yup, i never said it was for his play tho, did I?
you lose again

feltdizz
03-20-2018, 03:41 PM
you lose again

yeah.. that makes all the difference in the world.

you really are a special kid

he's a POS because he didn't sign? You just bashed people for being down on players who don't sign with us but loving those who do.

Steel Maniac
03-20-2018, 03:44 PM

Squid, I actually am not the type of fan that your talking about. There is some truth to what your saying. I have a lot of Packer fans around me and I've taken notice of Burnett before this signing and let me tell you, the one thing that I can tell you right off the bat that he's better then MM is that Burnett is steady and doesn't take a bunch of bad angles as MM did. Burnett isn't trying to come and put a "KAPOW" hit on every ball carrier either. He tries to make the fundamental tackle. Which is what we want. He for really is an upgrade on MM.

Steel Maniac
03-20-2018, 03:45 PM
you lose again

They are saying that Thomas of the Dolphins is more a special teams guy then anything else

Steel Maniac
03-20-2018, 03:46 PM
Squid, who would you like to see them replace MM with?

RuthlessBurgher
03-20-2018, 03:48 PM
For what it's worth, squid, I didn't just wait to see what the team did before proclaiming their choices to retroactively be ten times better and smarter than anyone else...I'm on record here as suggesting a very similar plan before the start of this free agent period.

I suggested we keep Le'Veon Bell in 2018 and use most of our remaining FA money on a mid-tier signing for our starting safety next to Sean Davis (which we would later supplement with a day two draft pick at safety), and then a smaller contract near the vet minimum for a potential starting ILB next to Vince Williams (who would split time with the rookie ILB I projected us to draft in round 1). This would allow us to go into the draft with BPA open to us, rather than needing to fill two blatant holes early on.

This is basically the free agent plan that actually happened in real life so far prior to the draft. It's just that the names that I suggested were not the ones the team ultimately signed.

I suggested signing a younger FA safety (Eric Reid) to the mid-tier safety contract and an older FA linebacker (Lawrence Timmons) to the smaller contract.

Instead, the team signed an older FA safety (Morgan Burnett) to the mid-tier safety contract and a younger FA linebacker (Jon Bostic) to the smaller contract.

I never really considered Bostic because I just assumed that Timmons would be an easy fit to return at a good price, but Burnett was the second name I listed when I started a thread asking folks on this site which FA they would like to add (and I only picked Reid over Burnett because of the 3 year age difference...this team prefers to add players going into their second contract as opposed to going into their 3rd).

squidkid
03-20-2018, 03:49 PM
Squid, I actually am not the type of fan that your talking about. There is some truth to what your saying. I have a lot of Packer fans around me and I've taken notice of Burnett before this signing and let me tell you, the one thing that I can tell you right off the bat that he's better then MM is that Burnett is steady and doesn't take a bunch of bad angles as MM did. Burnett isn't trying to come and put a "KAPOW" hit on every ball carrier either. He tries to make the fundamental tackle. Which is what we want. He for really is an upgrade on MM.

i wasnt referring to you. i actually like your approach to these players, wait and see instead of proclaiming them great like other do.
i too think hes going to be better than mitchell, moreso because i dont think mitchell was that good and i am excited to see change but i wont make claims that he is significantly better(even tho stats say the are the same)

Oviedo
03-20-2018, 04:03 PM
Not bad free agency period for a front office and coach, or janitor, who don't know anything

Oviedo
03-20-2018, 04:07 PM
All I said is that Morgan Burnett is a better safety than Mike Mitchell and Jon Bostic is a better linebacker than Sean Spence, L.J. Fort, and Tyler Matakevich. Do you disagree?

You complain about this team signing bums instead of studs...who are these studs available in free agency this offseason we should have signed instead?

You're debating with a moron. Don't risk breaking a nail typing on the keyboard for that idiot

Ernie
03-20-2018, 04:11 PM
agreed, our lbs sucked, but to claim that our 2 FAs are haed and shoulder better than the players they are potentially replacing without even seeing them take 1 snap is the epitome of being a fanboy fan.
you are absolutely correct in being hopeful that they will work out, but for some to say they will/will not be upgrades at this point is retarded.

remember how almost everybody moistened their panties when TE green was signed?................lol

Im certainly NOT one of those guys (Fanboy fan).. I catch hell quite often on here for questioning things. Doesn't make me right of course. This is just another one of those times. I think BOSTIC and Burnett are better than what we had... based solely on their performance in recent years. In terms of L. Green, he certainly was a disappointment, but that was not based on talent.

pittpete
03-20-2018, 06:29 PM
you're debating with a moron. Don't risk breaking a nail typing on the keyboard for that idiot

lol..................

Steel Maniac
03-20-2018, 06:38 PM
You're debating with a moron. Don't risk breaking a nail typing on the keyboard for that idiot

Damn!!! We’re all on the same team here. Well, except maybe a couple of us. But squid is on our team. :smile:

NorthCoast
03-20-2018, 07:20 PM
Interesting. I wonder how many of the FA safeties have experience calling out the D. Perhaps Burnett is the safety with the highest football IQ, and that is why they chose to go with him rather than look into the Honey Badger, Reid etc.Been Belichick's approach for years... sacrifice a bit on the athlete but gain superior football intelligence. After all, what good is an amazing athlete if he is always out of position??!?

SidSmythe
03-20-2018, 07:32 PM
After the first week of Free Agency I wasn't feeling too well considering the desperate NEED at ILB & FS.
While Bostic has a question mark due to injuries and being only a 2 down ILB he does fill a roll.
Burnett however frees up the Steelers to take a top ILB in the 1st Round without the desperate need to take a Safety in the 2nd.
This opens up the draft a little and keeps the Steelers from potentially starting 2 more rookies next year.

Slapstick
03-20-2018, 07:44 PM
After the first week of Free Agency I wasn't feeling too well considering the desperate NEED at ILB & FS.
While Bostic has a question mark due to injuries and being only a 2 down ILB he does fill a roll.
Burnett however frees up the Steelers to take a top ILB in the 1st Round without the desperate need to take a Safety in the 2nd.
This opens up the draft a little and keeps the Steelers from potentially starting 2 more rookies next year.

I don’t know where you got the idea that Bostic was a 2 down LB...last year he played in 14 games and was on the field for about 97% of the defensive snaps...all three downs...

squidkid
03-20-2018, 07:53 PM

if you cant beat em, insult them...............

steelz09
03-20-2018, 08:34 PM

I agree. When I first looked at the signing, my initially thought was..

They paid that much money for who?!? A 29 scrub? Ok, maybe he's average. Maybe that is a little harsh but I'm not impressed with this signing. Is he even a FS or a SS. It sounds like he has played both. Are we moving someone to FS. We need a true FS.

I still don't know the long term strategy of this defense which is status quo for this coaching staff (Tomlin and Butler in particular).

Case in point, let's continue to run a base 3-4 without a true NT and have our 3-4 DEs attack upfield so our LBs get picked off. What a brilliant f'in idea.

RuthlessBurgher
03-20-2018, 08:49 PM
Damn!!! We’re all on the same team here. Well, except maybe a couple of us. But squid is on our team. :smile:

Squid considers the coach of OUR team to be an overpaid janitor.

RuthlessBurgher
03-20-2018, 09:03 PM
They paid that much money for who?!? A 29 scrub? Ok, maybe he's average. Maybe that is a little harsh but I'm not impressed with this signing.

Morgan Burnett a 29 year old scrub? People know Clay Matthews because of the hair, but Burnett has been a leader and the best defensive player on a perennial playoff team for a few years now. When healthy, he's usually good for 100 tackles, 5-10 passes defenses, plus a couple of interceptions and forced fumbles per season as well. On our fantasy league on this forum where we have individual defensive players, I've had Burnett as the DB on my team in 2 or 3 of those seasons, I believe (when he was hurt, I swapped him out for his teammate Ha Ha Clinton-Dix). I can't believe you though we overpaid for this guy (when Packer fans saw how little he signed for here, most were flabbergasted).

Oviedo
03-21-2018, 02:54 AM

An excellent few days of free agency. Kudos to the team

I think they created lots of flexibility to include selecting a QB. Perhaps more importantly creating the appearance they may select a QB causing someone to want to trade up to get our pick

Shawn
03-21-2018, 04:45 AM
Morgan Burnett a 29 year old scrub? People know Clay Matthews because of the hair, but Burnett has been a leader and the best defensive player on a perennial playoff team for a few years now. When healthy, he's usually good for 100 tackles, 5-10 passes defenses, plus a couple of interceptions and forced fumbles per season as well. On our fantasy league on this forum where we have individual defensive players, I've had Burnett as the DB on my team in 2 or 3 of those seasons, I believe (when he was hurt, I swapped him out for his teammate Ha Ha Clinton-Dix). I can't believe you though we overpaid for this guy (when Packer fans saw how little he signed for here, most were flabbergasted).
Uneducated opinions should no longer surprise you.

Northern_Blitz
03-21-2018, 05:38 AM
thought i read he was asking around 8/year........wonder what happened?

It looks like the UFA market for safety is pricing players low.

Northern_Blitz
03-21-2018, 05:41 AM

I don't follow college football at all, but I'll be upset if we sign a QB. I think we should be trying to get guys who are going to contribute to SB runs over the next 3 years. A QB won't do that as long as Ben is on the team. It's why I think the Dobbs pick was a mistake last year.

I get that all bets are off if the team thinks they have the next franchise guy, but I'd rather go all in over the next three years and have a few years of bad play while searching for the next franchise guy.

Slapstick
03-21-2018, 07:53 AM
Franchise guys seem to be few and far between. Teams continue to search for one. If one somehow falls into your lap, you would be foolish not to pick him. We did it in 2004...

Steel Maniac
03-21-2018, 08:10 AM
I don't follow college football at all, but I'll be upset if we sign a QB. I think we should be trying to get guys who are going to contribute to SB runs over the next 3 years. A QB won't do that as long as Ben is on the team. It's why I think the Dobbs pick was a mistake last year.

I get that all bets are off if the team thinks they have the next franchise guy, but I'd rather go all in over the next three years and have a few years of bad play while searching for the next franchise guy. I’m with you; ILB, safety and CB are what I’d like to do with our first round pick.

Ernie
03-21-2018, 08:53 AM
I’m with you; ILB, safety and CB are what I’d like to do with our first round pick.

I'd be fine with ILB or S. Would be disappointed with CB.
Would also like to see OLB early.

Steel Maniac
03-21-2018, 09:06 AM
Yeah OLB; don’t know how I forgot that because
Dupree is super suspect.

SteelBucks
03-21-2018, 09:44 AM
I’m thrilled the Steelers filled two glaring holes through FA but I’m hoping they still go D heavy in the draft. ILB, Safety, CB, OLB... any position on the defense and I’m good with the pick.

No QB! It’s an average class at best and will be picked over pretty good once the Steelers select at 28.

steelz09
03-21-2018, 09:48 AM

We signed an all-pro and a future HOFer.

Better?

feltdizz
03-21-2018, 10:01 AM

There is a fellow on here who said Dobbs wasn’t a running QB in college.

There are some really uneducated folks on here who post out of anger.

Facts be damned

RuthlessBurgher
03-21-2018, 10:55 AM
Morgan Burnett brings his 'toolbox' of versatility to Steelers

9:15 AM ET

Jeremy Fowler
ESPN Staff Writer

PITTSBURGH -- Free-agent signing Morgan Burnett isn't sure whether he'll man the free or strong safety spot for the Pittsburgh Steelers defense. The team hasn't told him yet, and Burnett simply plans to do his job, be accountable and earn respect from teammates and coaches.

But the Green Bay Packers asked Burnett -- who signed a three-year, $14.5 million deal with Pittsburgh on Tuesday -- to do much more than that over eight years, 102 starts and 699 tackles. He lined up at linebacker, slot corner and both safety spots, depending on the game. He wore the communication headset in his helmet. How many safeties do that?

"I have things in my toolbox that I’m capable to move around and play different positions if need be," Burnett said. "But definitely I came into the league as a safety, and that’s where I’m comfortable at."

The way Burnett sees it, the more you can do, the longer you play in the NFL.

A handful of NFL scouts predict Burnett will probably be a strong safety in Pittsburgh, which would allow Sean Davis -- whom Burnett calls a "versatile guy" who can play the pass or the run -- to slide to free safety.

But Burnett is game for whatever.

"It really doesn’t matter to me. I love football," said Burnett, 29. "As long as I’m on the field, I’m happy and ready to go.":

Burnett heard from Pittsburgh last week but wasn't sure where he'd end up. He tried to clear his head by spending time with his wife and kids over the weekend, waiting for the right call. Burnett and the Steelers loosely agreed to a deal Monday night, and he was on a Pittsburgh-bound plane by 7:30 a.m.

Playing for two storied franchises in the Packers and Steelers was a catalyst in Burnett's free-agent decision.

Sounds like he'll fit right in.

"The history of Pittsburgh, the tradition," Burnett said. "You know about the Rooney family. Just the players that are here. They have a tradition of winning. Coming from Green Bay it was the same tradition. For those guys to be interested in me, and want me here, you can’t turn nothing like that down. You talk about the Pittsburgh Steelers, a very proud city, a proud town, great players. I wanted to be a part of it and try to earn the respect of my teammates and be accountable to my teammates."

http://www.espn.com/blog/pittsburgh-steelers/post/_/id/27512/morgan-burnett-brings-his-toolbox-of-versatility-to-steelers

Slapstick
03-21-2018, 11:01 AM
Burnett is a guy who works anywhere, but works best as a SS within 15-20 yards of the LoS...the Steelers like their safeties to be interchangeable...Davis has good range and could also work primarily as a FS...

If he is better than Mitchell and can improve communication among our young corps of DBs, then it is a win...

Buzz
03-21-2018, 11:07 AM
Burnett is a guy who works anywhere, but works best as a SS within 15-20 yards of the LoS...the Steelers like their safeties to be interchangeable...Davis has good range and could also work primarily as a FS...

If he is better than Mitchell and can improve communication among our young corps of DBs, then it is a win...
Davis needs to improve when it comes to things like play recognition and tackling. If he doesn't, we'll still have a major problem in our defensive backfield. How he will do at FS in the NFL is really an unknown.

Because of this, I think the Steelers still ought to draft a FS.

RuthlessBurgher
03-21-2018, 11:09 AM
Steelers sign S Morgan Burnett (3 years, $14.5 million):

A+ Grade

As is usually the case, one of the smarter teams in the NFL waited until the second week of free agency to acquire a talented player at a very cheap rate. The Steelers did this with Morgan Burnett in what was one of the best moves in the new league year thus far.

Safety was Pittsburgh's top need (excluding inside linebacker) heading into the offseason. That's no longer the case in the wake of the Burnett signing. Burnett, 29, was outstanding for the Packers for most of his career. He had a bit of a down season in 2017 because of injuries, but he's young enough to have a bounce-back campaign. Assuming this happens, Burnett will offer the Steelers a huge upgrade at safety at a big-time bargain price.

Steelers sign ILB Jon Bostic (2 years, $4 million):

A- Grade

Prior to this past season, Jon Bostic was seen as a major bust. He struggled despite being a second-round pick from the infamously bad 2013 NFL Draft. He missed all of 2016 with a broken foot. The Colts took a chance on him for the 2017 campaign, and it worked out. Bostic didn't play well in coverage, but was forceful in run support.

The Steelers should be able to use Bostic as a two-down linebacker to help them stop the rush, which was a problem for them following Ryan Shazier's injury. A three-down linebacker is still Pittsburgh's biggest need, but Bostic should help. He provides some very good value at just two years for $4 million.

http://walterfootball.com/freeagentsigninggrades.php

Slapstick
03-21-2018, 11:19 AM
Davis needs to improve when it comes to things like play recognition and tackling. If he doesn't, we'll still have a major problem in our defensive backfield. How he will do at FS in the NFL is really an unknown.

Because of this, I think the Steelers still ought to draft a FS.

And they might just do so...but, they no longer have to reach to fill a need...

Buzz
03-21-2018, 11:33 AM
And they might just do so...but, they no longer have to reach to fill a need...Right. Yet they still would be wise to factor need into their selections. And I'm confident they will.

Buzz
03-21-2018, 11:35 AM

A+ Grade

As is usually the case, one of the smarter teams in the NFL waited until the second week of free agency to acquire a talented player at a very cheap rate. The Steelers did this with Morgan Burnett in what was one of the best moves in the new league year thus far.

Safety was Pittsburgh's top need (excluding inside linebacker) heading into the offseason. That's no longer the case in the wake of the Burnett signing. Burnett, 29, was outstanding for the Packers for most of his career. He had a bit of a down season in 2017 because of injuries, but he's young enough to have a bounce-back campaign. Assuming this happens, Burnett will offer the Steelers a huge upgrade at safety at a big-time bargain price.

A- Grade

Prior to this past season, Jon Bostic was seen as a major bust. He struggled despite being a second-round pick from the infamously bad 2013 NFL Draft. He missed all of 2016 with a broken foot. The Colts took a chance on him for the 2017 campaign, and it worked out. Bostic didn't play well in coverage, but was forceful in run support.

The Steelers should be able to use Bostic as a two-down linebacker to help them stop the rush, which was a problem for them following Ryan Shazier's injury. A three-down linebacker is still Pittsburgh's biggest need, but Bostic should help. He provides some very good value at just two years for $4 million.

Article makes it sound as though Bostic is not a 3-down LB, but he was for Indy last year.

feltdizz
03-21-2018, 01:35 PM

A+ Grade

A- Grade

scrubs... the players, Colbert AND the coaches

RuthlessBurgher
03-21-2018, 02:00 PM
Morgan Burnett, more than just an experienced veteran joining the Steelers

The Pittsburgh Steelers were able to snag Morgan Burnett in free agency, and we give you the low down on the newest acquisition by those who covered him in the past.

By Jeff Hartman
Mar 21, 2018, 12:45pm EDT

The Pittsburgh Steelers sent shock waves throughout the fan base when they signed free agent safety Morgan Burnett, who previously played for the Green Bay Packers. By now, everyone has heard the usual tidbits on Burnett:

•Has had injury issues in the past
•Very versatile
•Great tackler

And so on, and so forth.

I wanted to get to know what the Steelers were getting, and decided to reach out to Evan “Tex” Western from Acme Packing Company, SB Nation’s Packers website, to ask him a few questions about the man he covered since his rookie season.

Take a look at the interview below:

Morgan Burnett hasn’t played a full season since 2012. Have his ailments been similar, like a lingering knee injury, or just fluke maladies?

While Burnett has missed time each of the last few seasons, it has been almost entirely due to minor, or nagging, muscle-related injuries. He has had a few hamstring pulls (which is what kept him out of a few games in 2017 and 2013), he popped up on the injury report a few times with a groin issue, and he missed a few games in 2015 with a quad injury. However, the only notable major injury he has suffered as a pro was a torn ACL as a rookie in 2010, but he bounced back from that without any issues in the following seasons. There’s certainly a good chance he misses a game or two with something in 2018, but there’s no reason to think that he has any particular limitations from any of his previous issues.

Burnett has played a number of positions while in Green Bay. Where does he excel the most?

By far, Burnett’s best role is as a roving box safety where he can support the run. He rarely misses a tackle and has an excellent nose for sniffing out ball carriers and avoiding blocks. Interestingly, he played a little more of a free safety role early in his career before moving down towards the box, and as the years have gone on he has taken on more and more responsibility at different spots. He also lined up frequently as a slot cornerback and a sub package linebacker in 2016 and 2017; opposing teams did not target him a whole lot in coverage out of the slot last year, but when they did they were successful as he allowed a passer rating over around 133 (according to Pro Football Focus). If you can keep him in more of a run support role while giving him a handful coverage assignments on running backs or tight ends, that’s probably where he’ll be at his best.

Were the Packers interested in bringing Burnett back? Why or why not?

The team was definitely interested, in large part because of his leadership and veteran presence in the locker room. He also wore the communications helmet on defense for the last few years and was very much the field general for that unit, making sure everyone was aligned properly. His impact probably goes beyond just his own stats and performance, as the defense appeared to be much more coordinated with him on the field and more prone to blown assignments and miscommunications when he was sitting out. However, early on in free agency, rumor had it that he was looking for upwards of $8 million per year, which seems far too pricey, but I expected his market to drop down into the level that the Packers would be comfortable with signing him. Apparently that isn’t the case.

What is your general description of what fans can expect from Burnett?

All told, Burnett is a solid tackling safety with the ability and experience to pitch in at a variety of different positions. He won’t blow anyone away with his coverage ability, but does enough to get by and brings a wealth of veteran experience to ensure that he’ll be in the right place at the right time. If he were paired with a good ball-hawking free safety, he would make for a very good traditional strong safety, but his versatility ensures that he can find a role in pretty much any defensive scheme.

A huge thanks to Evan for helping us out with this article, and hopefully it helps fans get a more realistic viewpoint of the newest member of the Pittsburgh Steelers.

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2018-pittsburgh-steelers-free-agency-news-rumors/2018/3/21/17147536/morgan-burnett-more-than-just-an-experienced-veteran-joining-the-steelers-packers-news-nfl

pittpete
03-21-2018, 02:29 PM
NSFW has some cursing.....turn volume down

https://youtu.be/bSchtpJDlO4

RuthlessBurgher
03-22-2018, 10:29 AM
Newly acquired Morgan Burnett and Cameron Sutton have unique bond

The unique bond between Burnett and Sutton goes beyond the Steelers and the NFL.

By Jeff Hartman
Mar 21, 2018, 3:55pm EDT

NFL ties between players can be very interesting to track. Sometimes players come from the same hometown, possibly the same high school, have been rivals along the way or even attended the same college/university.

No matter the route, you will often find these ties go beyond their current employer.

This could certainly be true between the Pittsburgh Steelers’ second year cornerback Cameron Sutton, and newly acquired safety Morgan Burnett. The two never played together at any stop along the way, but they have a unique connection.

Burnett’s older brother, Cap, coached both Morgan and Cam in High School. On top of that, Cam was a regular attendee at Morgan’s annual football camp.

“We have a good relationship,” Burnett told Jacob Klinger of PennLive. “And our home town, we don’t have too many people come out of our hometown so I’m very proud and very supportive, especially with us being on the same team now.”

Sutton was also extremely excited when the news broke of Burnett’s signing. He posted this on his official Twitter page:

Soufside Legends On The Same Squad @MoBetta_42

— PickzBurgh (@CamSutton20) March 20, 2018

As you can imagine, Burnett has had a crazy few days since being courted, and signing, by the Steelers, but he certainly is planning on reaching out to Sutton when things calm down.

“There was so much going on in my head, but I’ll definitely give him a call today.” Burnett said.

For Sutton, going from a kid at Burnett’s football camp to being his teammate has to be a surreal experience, but the two will certainly make a tremendous tandem in the back end of the Steelers’ defensive secondary.

Both will have a lot of motivation to play well. Not just to win a championship, but for Sutton to put his injury-riddled rookie season behind him, and Burnett to show the Packers just what they are missing by letting him test the free agent market — finding his way to the Steel City.

The Steelers’ secondary is transforming with the dismissal of Robert Golden, Mike Mitchell and William Gay, and thankfully for the better.

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/nfl-pittsburgh-steelers-news/2018/3/21/17147964/newly-acquired-morgan-burnett-and-cameron-sutton-have-unique-bond-steelers-nfl-news-georgia

Northern_Blitz
03-22-2018, 02:21 PM
Newly acquired Morgan Burnett and Cameron Sutton have unique bond

The unique bond between Burnett and Sutton goes beyond the Steelers and the NFL.

By Jeff Hartman
Mar 21, 2018, 3:55pm EDT

NFL ties between players can be very interesting to track. Sometimes players come from the same hometown, possibly the same high school, have been rivals along the way or even attended the same college/university.

No matter the route, you will often find these ties go beyond their current employer.

This could certainly be true between the Pittsburgh Steelers’ second year cornerback Cameron Sutton, and newly acquired safety Morgan Burnett. The two never played together at any stop along the way, but they have a unique connection.

Burnett’s older brother, Cap, coached both Morgan and Cam in High School. On top of that, Cam was a regular attendee at Morgan’s annual football camp.

“We have a good relationship,” Burnett told Jacob Klinger of PennLive. “And our home town, we don’t have too many people come out of our hometown so I’m very proud and very supportive, especially with us being on the same team now.”

Sutton was also extremely excited when the news broke of Burnett’s signing. He posted this on his official Twitter page:

Soufside Legends On The Same Squad @MoBetta_42

— PickzBurgh (@CamSutton20) March 20, 2018

As you can imagine, Burnett has had a crazy few days since being courted, and signing, by the Steelers, but he certainly is planning on reaching out to Sutton when things calm down.

“There was so much going on in my head, but I’ll definitely give him a call today.” Burnett said.

For Sutton, going from a kid at Burnett’s football camp to being his teammate has to be a surreal experience, but the two will certainly make a tremendous tandem in the back end of the Steelers’ defensive secondary.

Both will have a lot of motivation to play well. Not just to win a championship, but for Sutton to put his injury-riddled rookie season behind him, and Burnett to show the Packers just what they are missing by letting him test the free agent market — finding his way to the Steel City.

The Steelers’ secondary is transforming with the dismissal of Robert Golden, Mike Mitchell and William Gay, and thankfully for the better.

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/nfl-pittsburgh-steelers-news/2018/3/21/17147964/newly-acquired-morgan-burnett-and-cameron-sutton-have-unique-bond-steelers-nfl-news-georgia

I like this story. Hopefully, Burnett will fit in with a Steelers culture that often seens vets helping groom young guys to eventually replace them.

Slapstick
03-22-2018, 02:33 PM
Sutton could be another “Swiss army knife” defensive back, like Burnett has been in his career...

feltdizz
03-22-2018, 02:36 PM
I like this story. Hopefully, Burnett will fit in with a Steelers culture that often seens vets helping groom young guys to eventually replace them.
That’s pretty amazing to play with the guy who’s football camp you used to attend.

Ernie
03-22-2018, 02:50 PM
That’s pretty amazing to play with the guy who’s football camp you used to attend.

I remember reading somewhere that both played for Burnett's older brother (HS Coach).

Slapstick
03-22-2018, 03:15 PM
I remember reading somewhere that both played for Burnett's older brother (HS Coach).

See post #107 in this very thread!

Ernie
03-22-2018, 03:23 PM
See post #107 in this very thread!

Thanks. That's the same article I saw posted online earlier.

Oviedo
03-22-2018, 04:14 PM

A+ Grade

A- Grade

I'm sure we have at least one guy on here who would rate those signings as "D" grade moves.

phillyesq
03-22-2018, 04:21 PM
I like this signing. I'm a bit concerned about the injury history, but we replaced Mike Mitchell, for less money, with a solid tackler who is smart enough to call signals on the D. I'd love this signing if his injury history was a little better.

Particularly given that Burnett played a lot of dime linebacker last year, I don't think this precludes drafting a safety early at all. The rookie will provide injury insurance and also provide the option of a 3 safety nickel/dime package, which should help with some of the issues with stopping the run.

Northern_Blitz
03-22-2018, 04:52 PM
I like this signing. I'm a bit concerned about the injury history, but we replaced Mike Mitchell, for less money, with a solid tackler who is smart enough to call signals on the D. I'd love this signing if his injury history was a little better.

Particularly given that Burnett played a lot of dime linebacker last year, I don't think this precludes drafting a safety early at all. The rookie will provide injury insurance and also provide the option of a 3 safety nickel/dime package, which should help with some of the issues with stopping the run.

This. I think that the moves are more like B to B+. Giving them A+ and A- is grading on a curve (i.e. great moves for this late in UFA) instead of just the good value moves that they are.

Slapstick
03-22-2018, 05:04 PM

Our 5th DB, Mike Hilton, performed very well against the run...he wasn’t the problem...

Jon Bostic will hopefully improve our run D just by being a better player than Sean Spence...

squidkid
03-22-2018, 06:05 PM
I'm sure we have at least one guy on here who would rate those signings as "D" grade moves.

lol.............classic
if walters would have graded it poorly you would have said that site is garbage, but seeing that it said it was an A, now it is a reputable source of info.
ive seen this play out numerous times over the years.
whether its drafts, players, FA moves and coach rankings
just wait until the draft and the grades come out then you'll see this again.............lol

NorthCoast
03-22-2018, 08:43 PM
lol.............classic
if walters would have graded it poorly you would have said that site is garbage, but seeing that it said it was an A, now it is a reputable source of info.
ive seen this play out numerous times over the years.
whether its drafts, players, FA moves and coach rankings
just wait until the draft and the grades come out then you'll see this again.............lol

o·pin·ion
əˈpinyən/
noun

a view or judgment formed about something, [COLOR=#ffd700]not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

steelz09
03-22-2018, 09:21 PM
So, we needed a FS but instead of signing one, we signed a SS for starter money when we just used a 2nd round pick on Davis.

That means that Davis will likely be moved to FS. We are banking on our FS situation improving on a guy that has never played the position in the NFL and had a less than stellar year last year.

FA signing rating: A++++

feltdizz
03-23-2018, 09:28 AM
So, we needed a FS but instead of signing one, we signed a SS for starter money when we just used a 2nd round pick on Davis.

That means that Davis will likely be moved to FS. We are banking on our FS situation improving on a guy that has never played the position in the NFL and had a less than stellar year last year.

hi hater lol...

Steel Maniac
03-23-2018, 09:58 AM

Yeah...I thought about this too and I came to the conclusion that they see Davis in practice; we don't. So they must know something about him to feel confident that he can make the switch. It's not unheard of but it is a point of concern.

Slapstick
03-23-2018, 10:46 AM
Eh, Davis wasn't awesome at Strong Safety last year...perhaps a switch to Free Safety is better suited to his abilities...he can't be less impactful than Mitchell was...

RuthlessBurgher
03-23-2018, 02:11 PM
Morgan Burnett (Steelers) $14.35M, $4.25M signing bonus, salaries $1M, $5M, $4M; $50K workout bonus 2019-2020

— Aaron Wilson (@AaronWilson_NFL) March 23, 2018

RuthlessBurgher
03-23-2018, 02:17 PM
With a signing bonus proration of just over $1.4M for each of the 3 years, based on those base salary and workout bonus numbers, that would give Burnett a cap hit just over $2.4M in 2018, a cap hit of just under $6.5M in 2019, and a cap hit of just under $5.5M in 2020.

RuthlessBurgher
03-23-2018, 02:39 PM
Financial details of Morgan Burnett’s contract with the Steelers released

The Pittsburgh Steelers’ front office should be commended for their work with these free agent contracts.

By Flipsteeler
Mar 23, 2018, 2:29pm EDT

Ex-Green Bay Packers safety Morgan Burnett signed with the Pittsburgh Steelers on March 20 and financial details are finally out. The three-year contract has a rather large signing bonus compared to the overall value of the contract. The $4.25 million signing bonus comes along with base salaries of $1 million in 2018, $5 million in 2019 and $4 million in 2020.

The eight-year veteran will carry a team friendly cap hit of $2.4 million in 2018. The cap hits do escalate to $6.4 million in 2019 and $5.4 million in 2020.

These figures are all courtesy of Ian Whetstone.

The three-year contract signed by new Steelers safety Morgan Burnett appears to include a signing bonus of $4.25 million and salaries of $1 million in 2018, $5 million in 2019, and $4 million in 2020. The salary cap hit for 2018 is $2,416,666.

— Ian Whetstone (@IanWhetstone) March 23, 2018

Burnett should be one of Pittsburgh’s starting safeties with this deal, but other questions remain. Will the Steelers still retain J.J. Wilcox and his $3.8 million cap hit? Or save the team $3.1 million and find another steal in a sluggish safety market? Does Burnett play free safety or strong safety? These questions have been on the minds of Steeler Nation since reports of his signing started to emerge.

Pittsburgh is currently sitting on $3,406,080 in cap space, according to NFLPA and confirmed by Ian Whetstone. When the Burnett contract is figured in, the Steelers will be left with $2 million. Daniel McCullers (Unknown contract details), seven rookies, 52nd and 53rd players, and the ten-man practice squad, still puts the black-and-gold over the NFL’s current salary cap.

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/nfl-pittsburgh-steelers-news/2018/3/23/17155314/financial-details-of-morgan-burnetts-contract-with-the-steelers-released-news-free-agency-nfl

RuthlessBurgher
04-03-2018, 11:06 AM
Pro Football Focus shines light on how Morgan Burnett can help the Steelers

The Pittsburgh Steelers got more than just experience when they signed Morgan Burnett.

By Jeff Hartman
Apr 2, 2018, 3:15pm EDT

If you are like me, you don’t know a ton about players who don’t wear the black-and-gold for the Pittsburgh Steelers every week.

Sure, I keep up with the NFL, especially the AFC North, but the hyper focus on the Steelers leaves me with a type of blinders on when it comes to the rest of the league — especially when talking about the NFC.

When the Steelers signed Morgan Burnett in free agency, I had heard of him but wasn’t schooled on just what he brings to the team. For all I knew, he could have been a rangy playmaking safety, but in reality he is a veteran leader who is known for his tackling.

The fine folks at Pro Football Focus (PFF) outlined some key stats for every team’s best free agent pick up, and Burnett’s statistic was extremely telling:

S Morgan Burnett

2017 Grade: 77.2

One of the best box safeties in the league, Burnett played 83.1 percent of his run-defense snaps within eight yards of the line of scrimmage last year and racked up 10 run stops as a result. Since 2012, Burnett has now racked up a whopping 93 run stops when lined up in the box, which is tied with Kam Chancellor for the most among safeties in that span.

Whenever a player is compared to Kam Chancellor, it is never a bad thing. Chancellor has long been considered one of the best safeties in the league, and Burnett being mentioned statistically with Chancellor should tell Steelers fans plenty about their newest addition to the back half of the defense.

It should be noted both Kevin Colbert and Mike Tomlin both spoke at the NFL Owners Meetings about Burnett, and both men said the role for Burnett is far from set in stone as of now. While the Packers might have used Burnett as a pure box safety, the Steelers may have other plans for the veteran safety, and a lot of this might have to do with the team’s plans for the 2018 NFL Draft.

Nonetheless, if you are a fan who wanted a safety who can load the box and tackle...Burnett is your man.

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/nfl-pittsburgh-steelers-news/2018/4/2/17185102/pro-football-focus-shines-light-on-how-morgan-burnett-can-help-the-steelers-free-agent-nfl-news

Steel Maniac
04-03-2018, 11:28 AM
Thanks Ruth...

Buzz
04-03-2018, 11:55 AM
We still need to acquire a FS. Maybe Davis can handle that role, but for what we've seen thus far, I would not be confident going into the season with him as our main option at the position. It would be great if we could draft someone like Justin Reid or Jessie Bates.

Steel Maniac
04-03-2018, 12:28 PM
This is one year where I really wish we had another first round pick or another second round pick.

Buzz
04-03-2018, 01:00 PM
This is one year where I really wish we had another first round pick or another second round pick.

Or even a 4th round pick.

pittpete
04-03-2018, 02:17 PM
That article screams strong safety......

squidkid
04-03-2018, 06:43 PM

we got bell. we dont need any more draft picks

RuthlessBurgher
06-25-2018, 10:32 AM
Morgan Burnett admires Steelers’ locker room bond, getting comfortable in new surroundings

The newly acquired free agent safety, Morgan Burnett, is starting to get comfortable in the Steel City.

By Jeff Hartman
Jun 24, 2018, 1:27pm EDT

Players who come to Pittsburgh to play for the Steelers often say there is something different about the organization and fan base. As fans of the Steelers, we don’t know any different. All we know is the continuity and winning culture which started back in the 70s with Chuck Noll taking over.

However, it is always interesting to hear this from players, especially veterans, who have played for other teams throughout their career. In the case of Morgan Burnett, who played his entire career up until this point with the Green Bay Packers, his comments regarding the Steelers’ locker room bond and team are worth noting.

“It’s fun,” Burnett told Teresa Varley of the Steelers official website. “You can tell how they compete. They have a tight bond. You enjoy it. When you go out on the field you are competing at a high level. Guys are working hard and holding each other accountable. That is what I respect about this team.”

Burnett was accustomed to going against the likes of Aaron Rodgers and company, but going against the Steelers’ offense is a whole new level for him.

“You are talking about going against some of the best in the league, the best in the league,” said Burnett. “You are going against that every day, every week. You know you are going to be prepared when it comes to game day situations or whatever situations you are in on game day.”

Comparisons aside, Burnett is just excited to be in Pittsburgh, but might be more excited to put the shoulder pads on and start hitting. After all, it is what he is paid to do.

“You need to get outside more, especially at my position get out on the field,” said Burnett. “Train with weighted vests so you get used to when you come back with helmets and shoulder pads on. Get outside and keep working on my craft with my defensive back techniques.

“(When you get to camp), now you are playing football. Right now it’s conditioning, getting in position, getting your feet under you. When you come back it’s really football. It’s a contact sport, showing your physicality, being where you need to be. It’s game like situations you are going through in training camp. That is when football really starts. I am definitely looking forward to it. It should be fun.”

But what about the Steelers’ defensive scheme? How has the transition been for the veteran safety? Not too bad...

“I am comfortable with it,” said Burnett. “It’s a similar scheme to what I was running my eight years in Green Bay. It’s familiar. Now it’s just learning the terminology, putting it together. And getting used to working with my teammates.”

There is a lot of uncertainty surrounding the safety position heading into 2018. No one really knows what will take place at the position, but if you are a bettor, you could put some safe money down on Burnett being on the field when the real games start taking place. His versatility, and experience, are exactly what the team needs at the position.

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2018/6/24/17498608/morgan-burnett-admires-steelers-locker-room-bond-getting-comfortable-in-new-surroundings-news

RuthlessBurgher
06-27-2018, 12:20 PM
If the Steelers want improved tackling at the safety position, Morgan Burnett is their man

The Pittsburgh Steelers need better tacklers, and Morgan Burnett is just the man for the job in the defensive secondary.

By Jeff Hartman
Jun 26, 2018, 11:12am EDT

There aren’t many fond memories of Mike Mitchell as a member of the Pittsburgh Steelers. I recall a really nice hit he made against Marvin Jones of the Cincinnati Bengals a few years back, but other than that, the majority of memories all swirl around him running his mouth, missing tackles and being out of position.

Not all of these mishaps were solely on Mitchell’s shoulders, but with him gone, plus a few others, the Steelers' coaching staff has made it a point to let the public know tackling will be emphasized this year.

If that's truly the case, one player might not need as much work as the rest. That would be none other than free-agent acquisition Morgan Burnett. According to ProFootballFocus (PFF), Burnett was the best in the business at doing just that.

#Steelers S Morgan Burnett recorded the highest combined tackling efficiency of any NFL safety last season. #SteelerSpotlight

For full access to all of PFF's signature stats: https://t.co/VKuRjQDRTF
— PFF PIT Steelers (@PFF_Steelers) June 22, 2018

Burnett loves to play inside the box, and his skill set will be a welcome addition to the Steelers’ defense. Last year, both Sean Davis and Mike Mitchell missed their fair share of tackles, and neither of them ever was the type of player who, when approaching a ball carrier, you had confidence they'd be bringing him to the ground.

What Burnett brings is something completely different. He's versatile enough to play either Free or Strong Safety, can play in the box, can cover and what he loves doing the most just might be tackling.

A defense doesn’t want to see their safeties piling up tackles, because that likely means the front seven of the defense didn’t do their jobs. But with the Steelers playing heavy sub package football nowadays, Burnett will often find himself standing where linebackers normally do, and a large reason why is his ability to tackle the ball carrier.

If the Steelers’ main interest this offseason was to improve tackling, by adding Burnett and releasing Mitchell they've already improved tremendously.

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2018/6/26/17496068/if-the-steelers-want-improved-tackling-at-the-safety-position-morgan-burnett-is-their-man-pff-news

Steel Maniac
06-27-2018, 12:55 PM
Ruth , your firmly in Burnett’s camp. And that’s great. I too think he’s an upgrade over MM for sure. We now just have to be lucky on the injury front and keep him healthy all year. But I like our chances.

Buzz
06-28-2018, 12:31 AM
We now just have to be lucky on the injury front and keep him healthy all year.
Can't help the club when you're in the tub.

hawaiiansteel
06-28-2018, 01:13 AM
Can't help the club when you're in the tub.

yup, a player's most important ability is avail-ability.