PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Sign Jon Bostic, ILB

phillyesq
03-18-2018, 10:57 AM
A former second rick pick of the Bears in just 2013, he's bounced around quite a bit, spending time with the Bears, Pats and, most recently, the Colts.

http://www.steelers.com/news/transactions/article-4/Steelers-agree-to-terms-with-Bostic/b0cfc053-5104-438c-8692-c974bf865e02

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BostJo00.htm

He missed all of 2016 with a foot injury. He ended last season with a knee injury.

I suppose that this is the veteran depth signing so that ILB is not an absolute need, but given the industry history, this signing doesn't give me a ton of comfort.

Steelwolf
03-18-2018, 11:04 AM
Not at all and seems injury prone

steeler_george
03-18-2018, 11:04 AM
ok, I guess we got an ILB...

Anyone know his game? What type of player is he ?

http://walterfootball.com/freeagents2018ILB.php

plus side: says he is good vs run.

He is ranked higher than Minter,, Hodges, Preston Brown, Timmons

down side: liability in cover ( hopefully it had to do with Indy's scheme)

Steel Maniac
03-18-2018, 11:50 AM
So he can play ILB; we still need more at the linebacker positions.

pittpete
03-18-2018, 11:56 AM
He averaged almost 7 tackles per game and can play the Mack....I'll reserve making any judgement until camp.

Steel Maniac
03-18-2018, 12:02 PM
I like him fine; but we still need more because I’m not impressed with Dupree. The only linebacker that looks legit is Watt and he hit the rookie wall at the end of the year. So getting Bostic is a good first move.

pittpete
03-18-2018, 12:04 PM
Tre Boston?
Doubt that happens, theres no $$$$ left.

Steel Maniac
03-18-2018, 12:04 PM
This year is Last call for alcohol with Mr. Dupree.

He has all the athleticism but above the neck, a lot to be desired.

feltdizz
03-18-2018, 12:45 PM
Nice depth signing. We still need more in the draft.

SteelBucks
03-18-2018, 01:24 PM
I don’t know why some are poo poo-ing the move. He will be in the running to start opposite VW and he’s strong against the run, which the Steelers couldn’t stop last season once Shazier went down. 97 tackles last season in only 14 games. Not a flashy signing but could be a solid one.

Steel Maniac
03-18-2018, 01:45 PM
We need to upgrade over VW.

steeler_george
03-18-2018, 02:04 PM
After reading this, it looks like a real good move.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2018/03/film-room-steelers-get-what-they-need-with-jon-bostic/

Does anyone know the cap hit?

Rara
03-18-2018, 02:18 PM
Good move. Colbert lived up to his word and filled a need without breaking the bank. He is on his fifth team now...but he should be well with the Steelers. He did well last year with the Colts.

Steel Maniac
03-18-2018, 02:45 PM
I like him. Good first move.

Ernie
03-18-2018, 03:14 PM
Good move. Colbert lived up to his word and filled a need without breaking the bank. He is on his fifth team now...but he should be well with the Steelers. He did well last year with the Colts.

Yes he did... close to 100 combined tackles. Look for him to start opposite VW

Buzz
03-18-2018, 04:36 PM
I can't get too excited about Bostic ... the Colts are transitioning to the same kind of defensive scheme as the Steelers run ... if Bostic is such a good mack LB, why'd they not make a play to keep him? Is he really healthy? I hope so, but I hope it's not another Ladarius Green type situation.

NorthCoast
03-18-2018, 04:38 PM

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2018/03/film-room-steelers-get-what-they-need-with-jon-bostic/

Please post as a link for us lazy guys:

Slapstick
03-18-2018, 05:08 PM
If Bostic is a second round talent that has bounced around the league, capable of playing 95-100% of snaps, and we got him at a low price? Victory for the Steelers...if he can maximize his talent here, it will work out well for us...if he can’t, then the cost is minimal...

Slapstick
03-18-2018, 05:14 PM
I can't get too excited about Bostic ... the Colts are transitioning to the same kind of defensive scheme as the Steelers run ... if Bostic is such a good mack LB, why'd they not make a play to keep him? Is he really healthy? I hope so, but I hope it's not another Ladarius Green type situation.

The Colts were running a 3-4 base under Pagano...my understanding is that they are moving to a 4-3 base, like the Cowboys used under Monte Kiffin and Rod Marinelli when Eberflus was there...not surprising that Bostic wouldn’t be the best fit...

Buzz
03-18-2018, 05:18 PM
The Colts were running a 3-4 base under Pagano...my understanding is that they are moving to a 4-3 base, like the Cowboys used under Monte Kiffin and Rod Marinelli when Eberflus was there...not surprising that Bostic wouldn’t be the best fit...
Ah ... my understanding was that they are moving to a 1-gap 3-4, sort of hybrid-type D, like what we run. Guess I got some bad info.

Slapstick
03-18-2018, 05:20 PM
Ah ... my understanding was that they are moving to a 1-gap 3-4, sort of hybrid-type D, like what we run. Guess I got some bad info.

http://m.colts.com/news/article-1/Matt-Eberflus-Discusses-Colts’-Transition-To-4-3-Base-Defense/84bf9df7-ada0-49c2-88d1-f26f60c10cd8

Buzz
03-18-2018, 05:21 PM
http://m.colts.com/news/article-1/Matt-Eberflus-Discusses-Colts’-Transition-To-4-3-Base-Defense/84bf9df7-ada0-49c2-88d1-f26f60c10cd8
Just did some more checking around, and it appears you're right. So I can see why the Colts might have been ready to jettison Bostic -- not a great fit for what they're wanting to do.

pittpete
03-18-2018, 06:15 PM

Bostic has a concussion history?

pittpete
03-18-2018, 06:27 PM
3rd fastest LBer at the 2013 combine.
Earned PFF's No. 12 run-stopping grade among inside linebackers.
He had more passes defensed than Mitchell last year...LOL

2013 NFL Draft Scouting Report: Jon Bostic

Strengths:
Excellent run defender
Takes on blocks
Physical
Downhill attacker
Strong
Straight-line speed
Good tackler
Instinctive
Hustles
Flashes on blitzes
Plays with an attitude

Weaknesses:
Needs to improve pass coverage
Stiff
Lacks change of direction ability
Not fluid
Needs to get better at shedding blocks
Consistency

Read more at http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2013jbostic.php#uH8Lc0kVf7gJ9BTf.99

squidkid
03-18-2018, 07:31 PM
nobody knows if this is good or not. gonna have to wait and see.
he is relatively young
at least an area has been addressed. hopefully on the cheap

SidSmythe
03-18-2018, 07:41 PM
I like this pickup . . . I'm certain he's not getting top dollar.

He's a good football player ..... however penciling in a guy with an injury history is not wise.
Hopefully they're looking seriously at ILB in the 1st round still.

pittpete
03-18-2018, 07:49 PM
nobody knows if this is good or not. gonna have to wait and see.
he is relatively young
at least an area has been addressed. hopefully on the cheap

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/840/283/350.png

Chadman
03-18-2018, 09:42 PM
Seems like a good type of signing. It takes away the desperate need to draft an ILB to start, without (I assume) breaking the bank.

I can remember liking him coming out of college, but since that draft I’ve kind of lost track of him. Seen a couple of clips of him making some wicked hits. If he can bring that with him, we might have a couple of hard hitting ILB’s on the roster in Bostic & Williams.

fordfixer
03-19-2018, 12:26 AM
Best pick of the Offseason

Captain Lemming
03-19-2018, 12:52 AM
Best pick of the Offseason

Absolutely!!!!

Wait a minute........ isnt this our ONLY pick of the offseason? :)

Buzz
03-19-2018, 09:21 AM
Absolutely!!!!

Wait a minute........ isnt this our ONLY pick of the offseason? :)No. I think we signed Hilton, Berry, Grimble, Finney, and Touissant as well.

Ghost
03-19-2018, 09:35 AM

Terms have not been announced but ESPN reported it'd be about $2M per season for 2 years. It's a solid signing for a team with limited cap space not looking to get into the expensive ($5 + per season) linebacker market. Big if; but if he stays healthy he's the best inside LB on the roster now.

feltdizz
03-19-2018, 09:49 AM
Not sure how anyone can hate this pick. I know it’s not flashy but it’s a solid pick up.

Slapstick
03-19-2018, 11:05 AM
I am hoping that Bostic can be like another player who was drafted highly but miscast in a defense for his first few years:

James Farrior...

Farrior played ROLB in a 3-4 for his first four years...his numbers were positively Jarvis Jones-esque...

Then, in his fifth year, the Jets' defense changed when Herm Edwards took over...he became a 100 tackle player...

After that, he signed with the Steelers, changed positions yet again, and became an All-Pro LB for us...it has happened before and, hopefully, it can happen again...

Bostic played in a 4-3 for his first three years in the league and was not distinguished...when he moved inside in a 3-4, he became a 100 tackle player (or almost)...

I don't expect him to duplicate Farrior's feat, but I do think that he has a chance to be a good player for us...

K Train
03-19-2018, 11:09 AM
Bostic was relaly good at florida, worth taking a chance on him becoming the player he was drafted to be.

Bears drafted Bostic a bit high with Arthur Brown (ended up sucking) and Khaseem Greene (ended up sucking) both still on the board. They ended up doubling down on Greene in the next round. Never a great fit for them, but Bostic has good quickness and instincts in traffic

RuthlessBurgher
03-19-2018, 11:47 AM
The signing means that the Steelers do not HAVE TO draft an ILB with one of their early picks. That said, if Vander Esch is on the board at #28, the team should still be plenty interested. If the draft happens to fall that way, Bostic could potentially split time with LVE this year (possibly with the vet in there on 1st and 2nd down, and the rook in there in nickel and dime situations, or something like that).

Steel Maniac
03-19-2018, 11:49 AM
What safety do you guys like at # 28?

Slapstick
03-19-2018, 11:52 AM
I still want to sign Reid or Boston...

RuthlessBurgher
03-19-2018, 11:57 AM
What safety do you guys like at # 28?

The top safety prospects like Minkah Fitzpatrick and Derwin James should come off the board early in round one well before we pick, so the only safety left with a late-first grade would be Ronnie Harrison, but I'd prefer to see if we could get Justin Reid at 2.60 or Jessie Bates at 3.92 instead of pulling the trigger on a safety at 1.28.

RuthlessBurgher
03-19-2018, 11:58 AM
I still want to sign Reid or Boston...

Yeah, me too. Signing Eric Reid in free agency and then drafting his brother Justin in round two would be a couple of solid additions of our defensive backfield...

Northern_Blitz
03-19-2018, 12:03 PM
The signing means that the Steelers do not HAVE TO draft an ILB with one of their early picks. That said, if Vander Esch is on the board at #28, the team should still be plenty interested. If the draft happens to fall that way, Bostic could potentially split time with LVE this year (possibly with the vet in there on 1st and 2nd down, and the rook in there in nickel and dime situations, or something like that).

I like the pick up because it also gives the Steelers some flexibility for next year.

I believed that Bostic flipped between Mack and Buck at Indy (and maybe played more Buck according to Steelers Depot).

So, he can potentially start at Mack this year. If we draft a high ILB to play Mack, they share snaps this year.

Next year, I think we need to decide what to do with Williams. If we like Bostic better, he could move back to Buck next year and then we've potentially upgraded both positions next year.

Jooser
03-19-2018, 12:13 PM
Last year in 14 games, Bostic was on the field 97% of the time. He's a 3 down 'backer with speed and he rarely misses tackles. The combine skillset assessment says his weakness is coverage, however, his NFL highlights showcase a lot of INT and passes DEF. I think he's a quality pickup. (see below)

https://youtu.be/3Zq8U22F9ys

BTW, I didn't pick the soundtrack for this Vid, if it were me it would be 'Country Roads'. LOL ............. :tt2

Oviedo
03-19-2018, 12:41 PM
I like this pickup . . . I'm certain he's not getting top dollar.

He's a good football player ..... however penciling in a guy with an injury history is not wise.
Hopefully they're looking seriously at ILB in the 1st round still.

I agree. This is a good signing. Once again the front office got a solid player operating with salary cap constraints

I don't know what some expect the team to do, but again the front office did good

Steel Maniac
03-19-2018, 12:42 PM
The top safety prospects like Minkah Fitzpatrick and Derwin James should come off the board early in round one well before we pick, so the only safety left with a late-first grade would be Ronnie Harrison, but I'd prefer to see if we could get Justin Reid at 2.60 or Jessie Bates at 3.92 instead of pulling the trigger on a safety at 1.28.

I've never been a fan of taking a safety in round one. I know there have been some great ones taken in the first round but there have been far more taken later. I was just asking.

Steel Maniac
03-19-2018, 12:43 PM
I agree. This is a good signing. Once again the front office got a solid player operating with salary cap constraints

I don't know what some expect the team to do, but again the front office did good

I agree. Thumbs up.

feltdizz
03-19-2018, 02:13 PM
Last year in 14 games, Bostic was on the field 97% of the time. He's a 3 down 'backer with speed and he rarely misses tackles. The combine skillset assessment says his weakness is coverage, however, his NFL highlights showcase a lot of INT and passes DEF. I think he's a quality pickup. (see below)

https://youtu.be/3Zq8U22F9ys

BTW, I didn't pick the soundtrack for this Vid, if it were me it would be 'Country Roads'. LOL ............. :tt2

hot damn. That first hit was brutal. Now I’m hype.

pittpete
03-19-2018, 03:42 PM

I feel the same way, not flashy but if it doesnt work out then hopefully a draft pick steps up later in the season..

Oviedo
03-19-2018, 03:57 PM
I feel the same way, not flashy but if it doesnt work out then hopefully a draft pick steps up later in the season..

I think this signing takes some of the pressure off to reach for a ILB in Round 1. I still want LVE, but if a safety ranked higher on the team's board is there that could be the pick

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
03-19-2018, 05:58 PM
Such a Steeler move. They sign a player in FA to a contract that fits whether he is a starter or backup. This way the team is not forced to draft that position in the first and can find a player who they want instead of drafting for a position of need.

They do this all the time. That way if the ILB they want is there in the first they can grab him, but if not then they can go elsewhere. Right now, the only position which has a glaring need is at safety. Fill that and the team is in position to pick the best player at a position of need instead of the top available player at one position.

pittpete
03-19-2018, 07:03 PM
Listening to Sirius NFL radio today and they liked the pickup.
Was highly coveted player by Lovey Smith but then Chicago changed defenses just like the Colts and became expendable.

NorthCoast
03-19-2018, 07:53 PM
Week 2 in FA is money week for the Steelers. Pick fits exactly with their modus operandi. Get the high-priced bidding out of the way and find value with the second tier players that might be ready to take a step up. Based on highlights, the guy seems to know how to wrap-up and tackle. He might not be the fastest to the play, but if he's there he will make the tackle. That's a big plus for the Steelers defense that struggles in this area.

fordfixer
03-19-2018, 08:32 PM
Absolutely!!!!

Wait a minute........ isnt this our ONLY pick of the offseason? :)
It’s easier that way :p

Captain Lemming
03-19-2018, 10:20 PM
I've never been a fan of taking a safety in round one. I know there have been some great ones taken in the first round but there have been far more taken later. I was just asking.

Last time WE did that it sure was a horrible mistake. :)

papillon
03-19-2018, 11:08 PM
You may or may not like the move but it seems he's better than any healthy ILB the Steelers have on the roster, including Williams. A step in the right direction from what I can see.

Pappy

Oviedo
03-20-2018, 12:23 AM
You may or may not like the move but it seems he's better than any healthy ILB the Steelers have on the roster, including Williams. A step in the right direction from what I can see.

Pappy

Agree. This was not a depth signing. This was a talent upgrade.

Also creates some flexibility going into the draft since they don't have to reach for ILB

Ernie
03-20-2018, 04:10 AM
Yep. No depth signing here. He will start opposite of VW

RuthlessBurgher
03-21-2018, 01:49 PM
Gotta love this Jon Bostic shot on Teddy Bridgewater from back in their college days...

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/B8dZ4vZE3icz8dyS0dBIZFAsw6w=/800x0/filters:no_upscale()/cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/10462803/bostic8.png

feltdizz
03-21-2018, 02:04 PM
Gotta love this Jon Bostic shot on Teddy Bridgewater from back in their college days...

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/B8dZ4vZE3icz8dyS0dBIZFAsw6w=/800x0/filters:no_upscale()/cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/10462803/bostic8.png

Daaaayumm. I remember that play. Didn’t even realize this was the same guy. He was a monster at Florida.

Steel Maniac
03-21-2018, 02:06 PM
Last time WE did that it sure was a horrible mistake. :)

I know, I know. :smile:

But guys like Troy are few and far between. LOL. I knew someone was going to bust on me for that.

Captain Lemming
03-21-2018, 05:14 PM
I LOL. I knew someone was going to bust on me for that.

When the pitch is low, slow and over the plate.....gotta swing my friend. :)

Steel Maniac
03-21-2018, 05:23 PM
True.................