PDA

View Full Version : Mason Rudolph

Buzz
03-17-2018, 08:46 PM
Word is that Colbert & Co. are seriously considering taking this kid in the draft.

So tell me, why did they spend a 4th-rounder on the rocket scientist last year?

Steel Maniac
03-17-2018, 09:44 PM
If Rudolph falls to us; I would go off script ( as much as we need LB help) and take our QB of the future.

Furious
03-17-2018, 10:06 PM
Listed as 2nd -3rd round pick. If he's there in either of those rounds then why not draft him. But reaching at 28 would be ill advised. We have more needs to fill on the other side of the ball.

Steel Maniac
03-17-2018, 10:11 PM
Rudolph will go somewhere in the mid to late first round. I suspect him being taken by the Cardinals. I think he and Lamar Jackson both will be in the first round.

That’s why I’m excited at the opportunity we will have because a ton o QBs are going because GM’s want to save their jobs. And hitting on your franchise qb keeps GM’s jobs.
Ask Reggie Mckenzie in Oakland.

Steel Maniac
03-17-2018, 10:13 PM
Look at Rudolph’s resume and see why Colbert & co feel the way they feel.

Eddie Spaghetti
03-17-2018, 10:29 PM
Dobbs was a stupid pick last year

drafting Rudolph in the first would be that times 10

I would smash my tv

SteelBucks
03-17-2018, 10:36 PM
Can he play Safety or ILB?

Real Deal Steel
03-17-2018, 10:51 PM

I would smash my tv

I'm in this camp.

Gus
03-17-2018, 11:39 PM
Can he play Safety or ILB?
No, but he does a spot on impersonation of Sean Mahan.

feltdizz
03-18-2018, 12:06 AM
Taking him when? Late, I’m ok with but we have more pressing needs and he isn’t anything special IMO.

pittpete
03-18-2018, 12:38 AM
Word is that Colbert & Co. are seriously considering taking this kid in the draft.

In all honesty, having potential future QBs on the roster isn't such a bad thing.
Rudolph wasn't on the radar last year i'd have to assume.
Theres always a possibility we have a camp competition and cut Landry if we had to.
You never know what you have until you have it.

steeler_george
03-18-2018, 05:46 AM
Intriguing, were they talking to him to get a feel for this kid, if he is there at 28? Or were they talking to him to get a feel about his WRs?

If he is there at 28 do you

a) take him
b) trade back ( if AZ or Buffalo miss out on their QB)
c) if he is there last till 28 do you trade back and select for him in the 2nd?
d) do you pull a trade up in the second if he keeps falling?

squidkid
03-18-2018, 05:48 AM
Intriguing, were they talking to him to get a feel for this kid, if he is there at 28? Or were they talking to him to get a feel about his WRs?

a) take him

inquiring minds want to know............

The Man of Steel
03-18-2018, 08:51 AM
Big 12 QBís tend to not do that great in the NFL. Andy Dalton, Ryan Tanneyhill, and Sam Bradford are the only half decent ones that come to mind and none of them are anything special.

squidkid
03-18-2018, 09:08 AM

they needed a back up for future franchise qb(landry jones)

feltdizz
03-18-2018, 10:25 AM
Big 12 QB’s tend to not do that great in the NFL. Andy Dalton, Ryan Tanneyhill, and Sam Bradford are the only half decent ones that come to mind and none of them are anything special.
Yup. Doesn’t mean Rudolph won’t pa out but I wouldn’t bet on him.

Slapstick
03-18-2018, 05:20 PM
Big 12 QB’s tend to not do that great in the NFL. Andy Dalton, Ryan Tanneyhill, and Sam Bradford are the only half decent ones that come to mind and none of them are anything special.

Neither do MAC QBs...

The Man of Steel
03-18-2018, 08:40 PM
Neither do MAC QBs...
Big Ben, Charlie Batch, Byron Leftwich, Bruce Gradkowski, and Omar Jacobs are all legendary MAC QB’s who have worn the black n gold.

Captain Lemming
03-18-2018, 10:48 PM
Big Ben, Charlie Batch, Byron Leftwich, Bruce Gradkowski, and Omar Jacobs are all legendary MAC QB’s who have worn the black n gold.

That is his point MOS. People said that when we drafted Ben, Slappy is making the point that "they" were proven wrong so judging a QB by his conference is not smart.

feltdizz
03-19-2018, 09:00 AM

a) take him

Hopefully it’s none of the above.

feltdizz
03-19-2018, 09:06 AM
That is his point MOS. People said that when we drafted Ben, Slappy is making the point that "they" were proven wrong so judging a QB by his conference is not smart.

Did people rally say that?

I wasnt on the Trib yet but most people I knew just said “who? How do you say his name?”

I always felt like the MAC was that one mid major conference that everyone accepted when it came to draft.

Ghost
03-19-2018, 09:41 AM
"If you spoke with ten different scouts you would get at least four different opinions about him. I've just seen too many of those system quarterbacks struggle to make it in the league so I'm hesitant to buy in. He has gotten better this year." -- NFC team regional scout

Concerns:
Field-side outs will be a challenge.
Needs to throw with better timing and placement on comeback and outs.
Ball placement and decision making can run askew when forced to scramble from pocket.
Has had ball security issues as a starter.

This IS NOT who I want the Steelers taking in round 1.

Buzz
03-19-2018, 10:14 AM
"If you spoke with ten different scouts you would get at least four different opinions about him. I've just seen too many of those system quarterbacks struggle to make it in the league so I'm hesitant to buy in. He has gotten better this year." -- NFC team regional scout

Concerns:
Ball placement and decision making can run askew when forced to scramble from pocket.

I completely agree with this.

feltdizz
03-19-2018, 10:26 AM

Concerns:

One thing folks need to remember is PITT played OKState these last 2 years. Narduzzi refuses to give his CB’s help and left them stranded on islands and these WR’s absolutely torched PITT.

It wasnt due to Rudolph throwing anyone open or picking apart a good D. Pretty sure he threw for 1000 yards in those 2 games.

It was disgustig to watch.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
03-19-2018, 11:10 AM
Steelers don't draft need in Rd one unless it grades out that way.

Colbert doesn't like the ILB class at the top. Enter Bostic.

LVE & Evans gone..James & Harrison gone...OR...Maybe the BPA will be QB.

BB said 3 more years. So let's say he plays EVERY game over next 3 years & retires. MR would start as 25 year old Jackson as a 23. 3 years experience behind BB with 1 year & an option year left. Hmmmmmm.

Look at at it from FO. They "Expect" to be SB contenders over those 3. So they will be drafting 25 or worse...Its not often you get a Rich QB class like this year & have possible franchise guys that late. Big Picture..Makes Sense.

If Steelers go back to back..Does anyone besides me see BB calling it on Top? A QB now possibly transition right to life after BB instead of a fall off? I definitely would consider.

BB style over years more than likely won't give you Brady, Brees, Manning Longevity. It's very difficult to gauge how a players body is responding. Only BB knows...And the Steelers. We may find out too come draft day.

K Train
03-19-2018, 11:20 AM
Mason Rudolph will be better than Josh Allen

However, Rudolph could easily be compared to Landry Jones...not in that he is definitely going to suck, its just we dont know all that much about him considering a) the offense he played in and 2) the TERRIBLE big 12 defenses he played against

RuthlessBurgher
03-19-2018, 11:37 AM
QB MASON RUDOLPH Oklahoma St. Big 12

6'5"
Height

32 3/8"
Arm Length

235 LBS.
Weight

9 1/8"
Hands

Overview
Like many prospects for the 2018 NFL Draft, Rudolph grew up in a football family. His father, Brett, played at North Carolina in the 1980s. His brother, Logan, is a top 200 recruit that committed to play outside linebacker for Clemson starting in 2017. That background and support helped him excel in high school, where he was a finalist for South Carolina's Mr. Football Award as a senior (4,377 passing yards, 64 touchdowns, eight interceptions). It was expected that Rudolph would take a redshirt in 2014, but the Cowboys' starter fell to injury late in the year. He played in three games, starting two, led the team to a comeback win over rival Oklahoma. Rudolph was OSU's MVP in 2015, starting 12 games (missing most of that year's Bedlam due to injury), completing 62.3 percent of his passes for 3,770 yards and 21 touchdowns and nine interceptions. In his junior campaign, Rudolph stood tall in the pocket and earned honorable mention all-conference honors, distributing the ball to either sideline, as well as down the field, for 4,091 yards (ranking eighth in the FBS) on a 63.4 completion rate with 28 touchdowns -- but throwing just four interceptions in the process. While Rudolph is a pocket passer, he also had six rushing touchdowns in 2016. Rudolph finished his career by winning the Johnny Unitas Golden Arm and Sammy Baugh Awards while earning second-team All-Big 12 recognition. He led the FBS with 377 passing yards per game (4,904 total), completing 65 percent of his passes, finishing among the nation's leader with 37 touchdowns while throwing just nine interceptions.

Analysis

Strengths
Great size and stands tall in the pocket giving him his true height as a passer. Does a good job of letting routes develop and wide receivers clear traffic. Slides in pocket for clean launch points and is rarely a static target for rushers. Keeps eyes trained downfield when sliding around pocket. Got rid of the ball quicker and cut his sacks this year. Willing to throw in front of safeties and attack over top of linebackers in intermediate portion of field. Has steadily improved each season and showed full command of the offense this year. Saw 10 percent of his dropbacks turn into 25-plus yard completions. Puts air under his deep throws and gives receivers a chance to make plays. Reads safeties and moves to his progressions accordingly. Ran zone reads around endzone and finished with 17 rushing touchdowns during career. Willing to drop his head and go get what he needs.

Weaknesses
Over-strides at times. Rarely drives lower body through the throw causing ball to sail and float. May not generate enough velocity to beat ball-hawking corners who strangle passing windows. Field-side outs will be a challenge. Needs throws to stay on schedule. Needs to throw with better timing and placement on comeback and outs. Defaults to off-platform throws when he has time to step and deliver. Ball placement and decision making can run askew when forced to scramble from pocket. Ball will come out wobbly at times. Inexperienced as rollout passer. Benefitted from ball-winning targets downfield. Wasn't asked to get through many progressions in the offense. Has had ball security issues as a starter.

Draft Projection
Rounds 2-3

Sources Tell Us

NFL Comparison
Christian Ponder

Bottom Line
Pocket quarterback with good size who has shown consistent improvement as a passer. Rudolph is more of a downfield, play-action passer than a quarterback who can win with precision and arm strength. He's a capable field reader who has the ability to operate with timing which will be important since his arm can be dull at times. Rudolph could be an early backup with the potential of becoming an average to below average starter in the league.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2018/profiles/mason-rudolph?id=2559942

Steel Maniac
03-19-2018, 11:46 AM
For the record, I hope we don't go QB. And I"m going to assume we don't.

I"m thinking now we have the option to now go safety with our first round pick. Bostic took some pressure off in that regard.

feltdizz
03-19-2018, 01:44 PM
Dude has a 2nd or 3rd rd grade. Why are people talking pick 28?

I got wrapped up in QB talk last year. Nope. Not this year. We aren’t taking a QB in the first unless Lamar Jackson falls.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
03-19-2018, 02:21 PM
He doesn't have 2-3 Round Grade. Jackson & Rudolph are tied for Mayocks 5th QB. Both Mocked anywhere from mid 1st to 2nd.

Ghost
03-19-2018, 02:48 PM
The thoughts on Rudolph are all over the board. NFL draft has him as a round 2 or 3 guy. Pro Football Focus has him late 1 to mid 2. I've seen mock drafts with him going to AZ at 15 or Buffalo at 22. Even seen the Pats taking him at the end of 1.

Bleacher Report did an article on him and quoted an anonymous scout who said - "You have him in round 2 and I just don't see it. He has a weak arm and plays in a bull sh!t scheme. It's Bryce Petty all over again".

I just saw a mock draft that had the Steelers taking Josh Allen. No one knows anything...

Steel Maniac
03-19-2018, 03:06 PM
Hahahahahahaaha...

Bring on the draft!!

pittpete
03-19-2018, 03:38 PM
I pray we don't draft a QB in round 1.
We need play makers on defense!!!

Shawn
03-19-2018, 04:05 PM

I would smash my tv I'm ok drafting a QB...but an average armed system QB in the first? No thank you.

Shawn
03-19-2018, 04:06 PM
The thoughts on Rudolph are all over the board. NFL draft has him as a round 2 or 3 guy. Pro Football Focus has him late 1 to mid 2. I've seen mock drafts with him going to AZ at 15 or Buffalo at 22. Even seen the Pats taking him at the end of 1.

Bleacher Report did an article on him and quoted an anonymous scout who said - "You have him in round 2 and I just don't see it. He has a weak arm and plays in a bull sh!t scheme. It's Bryce Petty all over again".

I just saw a mock draft that had the Steelers taking Josh Allen. No one knows anything... I wouldn't call his arm weak but it's average at best. System QB with an average arm. I don't understand the hype.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
03-19-2018, 06:04 PM
I don't know anything more about the guy than what I've read, but unless a guy who the FO is absolutely in love with falls then I pass (no pun intended). This is a strange class of QBs where nobody seems to be "The Guy". Instead you have six guys with a variety of opinions. Possibly the weakest class in which six guys could be first rounders.

papillon
03-19-2018, 11:18 PM
Not crazy about Rudolph, but what if Jackson is there at 1.28? I like him for the future, 2-3 years behind Ben, then he takes over, if he pans out.

Pappy

Steel Maniac
03-19-2018, 11:58 PM
Not crazy about Rudolph, but what if Jackson is there at 1.28? I like him for the future, 2-3 years behind Ben, then he takes over, if he pans out.

Pappy

I’ll pass on Michael Vick 2.0. Jackson is not an accurate when he passes and he runs too much as it is

Buzz
03-20-2018, 09:17 AM
I’ll pass on Michael Vick 2.0. Jackson is not an accurate when he passes and he runs too much as it is
I like Jackson. If the Steelers take a QB early, I think he's the most likely addition.

feltdizz
03-20-2018, 09:29 AM
Pretty sure his completion percentage is better than Josh Allen’s.

He is much better than Vick and the comparison is off base.

Steel Maniac
03-20-2018, 09:58 AM
Pretty sure his completion percentage is better than Josh Allen’s.

He is much better than Vick and the comparison is off base.

The comparison isn't off base;

Lamar Jackson is the best running QB since Vick. And he is not an accurate passer. Just like Vick.

QB's that are inaccurate are not starters. Starting QB's have to pass in the 60 percentile at least. Micheal Vick only had one season where he passed for 60 percent. Lamar Jackson was inaccurate at the combine ; solidifying his late round draft status.

***Josh Allen was the most accurate passer at the combine. For what it's worth. And that sold a lot of the scouts. IF you can combine accuracy and a big arm then you've got something in this league.

feltdizz
03-20-2018, 10:10 AM
The comparison isn't off base;

Lamar Jackson is the best running QB since Vick. And he is not an accurate passer. Just like Vick.

QB's that are inaccurate are not starters. Starting QB's have to pass in the 60 percentile at least. Micheal Vick only had one season where he passed for 60 percent. Lamar Jackson was inaccurate at the combine ; solidifying his late round draft status.

***Josh Allen was the most accurate passer at the combine. For what it's worth. And that sold a lot of the scouts. IF you can combine accuracy and a big arm then you've got something in this league.

Practice? You talking about combine completion percentages?

Lmao. This is how teams end up with bums.

Josh Allen had a 56% completion percentage in the Mountain West playing against competition wasn’t anywhere as good as the ACC. Also read he threw a bunch of screen passes too.

Jackson competed 59% of his passes vs ACC competition but is somehow a worse passer?

But hey, Josh Allen can throw it 70 yards in shorts so he must be the better QB.

This is type of thinking is how Mitch Trubisky gets picked ahead of Deshaun Watson.

Steel Maniac
03-20-2018, 10:14 AM
Practice? You talking about combine completion percentages?

Lmao. This is how teams end up with bums.

Josh Allen had a 56% completion percentage in the Mountain West playing against competition wasn’t anywhere as good as the ACC. Also read he threw a bunch of screen passes too.

Jackson competed 59% of his passes vs ACC competition but is somehow a worse passer?

But hey, Josh Allen can throw it 70 yards in shorts so he must be the better QB.

This is type of thinking is how Mitch Trubisky gets picked ahead of Deshaun Watson.

I'm not saying their right; But that's what scouts are saying. Bottom line is that Lamar Jackson is inaccurate. Personally, I wouldn't touch either one. Both are inaccurate in my book.

And I'm not messing with any QB that's a running QB. Running meaning, " One option, two option..run"

That's Lamar Jackson.

Steel Maniac
03-20-2018, 10:23 AM
Here's the deal:

Two inaccurate QB's. Both came to the combine.

Josh Allen not only wasn't inaccurate but he was the most accurate.
Lamar Jackson was inaccurate as usual.

So now scouts are claiming that Allen's inaccuracy is because of the sorry team around him.

Are they right? I don't know. I would have to look at at least 6 games to see if the receivers were dropping a lot of balls. But that's what their claiming.

Like I said, I wouldn't want either one of them in the first round.

feltdizz
03-20-2018, 10:32 AM
I'm not saying their right; But that's what scouts are saying. Bottom line is that Lamar Jackson is inaccurate. Personally, I wouldn't touch either one. Both are inaccurate in my book.

And I'm not messing with any QB that's a running QB. Running meaning, " One option, two option..run"

That's Lamar Jackson.

I hate how scouts use percentages for one player but them shrug when another player has the same stat or worse stat.

I think it was Kiper yapping about Jackson’s completion percentage and when they pointed to Allen’s he said “stats aren’t everything”

huh?

I wish folks would be honest and say they don’t like Lamar because he runs. I don’t buy the “he is a project” when he has been playing for 2 or 3 years and throwing for a ton of yards in the ACC. Sam Darnold is a TERRIBLE decision maker. Absolutely trash but somehow it isn’t discussed because he is at USC? Dude had 22 turnovers. 12 INTs.

Jackson had 10 INTs but somehow he isn’t accurate?

I can’t wait to see how some of these QB’s perform in the NFL.

Steel Maniac
03-20-2018, 10:38 AM
Running QB's don't win anything. That's why people are done on them. We've seen that script before.

Steve Young was a running QB but he learned to check down to the 4th option like real QB's do. And Russell Wilson runs to buy time to throw mostly. But he's quit mobile to say the least. Other then that, all pocket passers winning the SB. So you can't blame people for shying away from running QB's.

feltdizz
03-20-2018, 10:40 AM
Here's the deal:

Two inaccurate QB's. Both came to the combine.

Josh Allen not only wasn't inaccurate but he was the most accurate.
Lamar Jackson was inaccurate as usual.

So now scouts are claiming that Allen's inaccuracy is because of the sorry team around him.

Are they right? I don't know. I would have to look at at least 6 games to see if the receivers were dropping a lot of balls. But that's what their claiming.

Like I said, I wouldn't want either one of them in the first round.

just remember, Allen was playing against teams like Gardner Webb when Lamar was playing against, Florida State, Clemson, etc.

and i I don’t buy Lamar being inaccurate “as usual”
He completed 59% of his passes last year.

feltdizz
03-20-2018, 10:44 AM
Running QB's don't win anything. That's why people are done on them. We've seen that script before.

Steve Young was a running QB but he learned to check down to the 4th option like real QB's do. And Russell Wilson runs to buy time to throw mostly. But he's quit mobile to say the least. Other then that, all pocket passers winning the SB. So you can't blame people for shying away from running QB's.

DeShaun Watson, Cam Newton, Russell Wilson...

that isnt true. Running WB’s who can’t throw don’t win.

These new running QB’s can also sling the rock. It isn’t true.

and plenty of pocket QB’s don’t win in the NFL either.

Steel Maniac
03-20-2018, 10:55 AM
just remember, Allen was playing against teams like Gardner Webb when Lamar was playing against, Florida State, Clemson, etc.

and i I don’t buy Lamar being inaccurate “as usual”
He completed 59% of his passes last year.

59 isn't good in the NFL. Good starting QB's are in the mid 60 percentile.

Steel Maniac
03-20-2018, 10:57 AM
DeShaun Watson, Cam Newton, Russell Wilson...

that isnt true. Running WB’s who can’t throw don’t win.

These new running QB’s can also sling the rock. It isn’t true.

and plenty of pocket QB’s don’t win in the NFL either.

Russell Wilson can pass dude. That's what your not getting. And he moves to throw most of the time. Look at what Wilson has done in the pocket the last couple of years.

We are talking about WINNING SUPER BOWLS. Go look at all the Super Bowl winners. Except for two maybe (Young and I'll give you Wilson) all are pocket passers. Colbert is smart; he's never intrusting a running QB to a starting QB position here. He sees the numbers just like I do. Pocket passers win Super Bowls.

Slapstick
03-20-2018, 11:08 AM
In his senior year at Purdue, Drew Brees had a 60.4% completion rate and rushed for more than 500 yards...

Players can develop....

feltdizz
03-20-2018, 11:19 AM
Russell Wilson can pass dude. That's what your not getting. And he moves to throw most of the time. Look at what Wilson has done in the pocket the last couple of years.

We are talking about WINNING SUPER BOWLS. Go look at all the Super Bowl winners. Except for two maybe (Young and I'll give you Wilson) all are pocket passers. Colbert is smart; he's never intrusting a running QB to a starting QB position here. He sees the numbers just like I do. Pocket passers win Super Bowls.

Yet we ROUTINELY draft mobile QB’s.

We just drafted Dobbs.

Russell Wilson completed 60% of his passes in his college career. Never threw for more than 3500 yards.

just sayin’.

What you aren’t getting is Lamar can pass dude.

You cant use Russell Wilson as an example when his completion percentages are the same as Lamar Jackson. Sure, Wilson has a great Senior year but still, the gap isn’t nearly as wide as you suggest.

Russell Wilson lasted until the 3rd or 4th round because of his size and folks doubting his passing ability. It happens ALL the time.

He’s a runner, he’s a project, he can’t read defenses... blah blah blah.

Lamar had 27 TD’s passing last year. 30 the year before. That’s not inaccuracy or because he was a project. The kid can sling it.

feltdizz
03-20-2018, 11:27 AM
In his senior year at Purdue, Drew Brees had a 60.4% completion rate and rushed for more than 500 yards...

Players can develop....

The NFL loves the big, 6’-5” QB regardless if he can ball out or not they will always get a chance because idiots still put a premium on prototypical size.

Lamar Jackson is a “project” with innacuracy issues even tho he had 27 TD’s and threw for 3500 yards last year.

Josh Allen has a worse completion percentage, threw for 16 TD’s and 1800 yards but he is legit because of his combine completions?

Riiight. Gotta love it.

Steel Maniac
03-20-2018, 12:31 PM
Yet we ROUTINELY draft mobile QB’s.

We just drafted Dobbs.

Russell Wilson completed 60% of his passes in his college career. Never threw for more than 3500 yards.

just sayin’.

What you aren’t getting is Lamar can pass dude.

You cant use Russell Wilson as an example when his completion percentages are the same as Lamar Jackson. Sure, Wilson has a great Senior year but still, the gap isn’t nearly as wide as you suggest.

Russell Wilson lasted until the 3rd or 4th round because of his size and folks doubting his passing ability. It happens ALL the time.

He’s a runner, he’s a project, he can’t read defenses... blah blah blah.

Lamar had 27 TD’s passing last year. 30 the year before. That’s not inaccuracy or because he was a project. The kid can sling it.

Feltz, you can't tell me what I can or can't use. You don't like anything that doesn't support your arguments so you dismiss them.

Dobbs IS NOT a running QB. There is a difference between being mobile and being a "running QB". That statement alone disqualifies your. Dobbs will never be mistaken as a "running QB" by anybody...but you. :rolleyes:

You start out well but then when facts don't roll your way, you disqualify facts and then you go and try to discredit things as well. If your going to do that, then let's terminate the discussion and just agree to disagree .

Donnieboy
03-20-2018, 01:36 PM
I'm ok drafting a QB...but an average armed system QB in the first? No thank you.

Shawnie-shawn-shawn...wow...why am I not surprised? Years go by and stuff just stays the same. So when you look at this video you see an average arm? And do you not see an offense very similar to what the Steelers currently run? No need. I already know your answer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKJ9NYaZp3M

Steel Maniac
03-20-2018, 01:46 PM
Donnie boy , stick around. I like the swag your bringing to this place.

feltdizz
03-20-2018, 01:50 PM
Feltz, you can't tell me what I can or can't use. You don't like anything that doesn't support your arguments so you dismiss them.

Dobbs IS NOT a running QB. There is a difference between being mobile and being a "running QB". That statement alone disqualifies your. Dobbs will never be mistaken as a "running QB" by anybody...but you. :rolleyes:

You start out well but then when facts don't roll your way, you disqualify facts and then you go and try to discredit things as well. If your going to do that, then let's terminate the discussion and just agree to disagree .

WTF are you smoking?

Dobbs was the leading rusher on Tennessee his last year.

Dobbs had 832 rushing yards his last year and 12 rushing TD’s.

You have no idea what you are talking about dude. It’s obvious you don’t watch college ball... and you have the nerve to eye roll? Watch this and don’t reply to me ever again unless you apologize. Hahah!!!

https://youtu.be/3qBkV3ZMmu4

Donnieboy
03-20-2018, 02:17 PM
Donnie boy , stick around. I like the swag your bringing to this place.

Thank you. Truth be told some call it swag others call it grounds for being banned. :D

Steel Maniac
03-20-2018, 02:18 PM
Thank you. Truth be told some call it swag others call it grounds for being banned. :D

Hahahahahahahaha.

Steel Maniac
03-20-2018, 02:23 PM
WTF are you smoking?

Dobbs was the leading rusher on Tennessee his last year.

Dobbs had 832 rushing yards his last year and 12 rushing TD’s.

You have no idea what you are talking about dude. It’s obvious you don’t watch college ball... and you have the nerve to eye roll? Watch this and don’t reply to me ever again unless you apologize. Hahah!!!

https://youtu.be/3qBkV3ZMmu4

Feltz, your cra cra. Obviously. Let me talk to you in terms you can understand:

Running QB's don't win Super Bowls..
Steelers are in the buisness of winning Super Bowls..

So we don't want a running QB to be our starter. Capice. Have a great day.

feltdizz
03-20-2018, 02:27 PM
Feltz, your cra cra. Obviously. Let me talk to you in terms you can understand:

Running QB's don't win Super Bowls..
Steelers are in the buisness of winning Super Bowls..

So we don't want a running QB to be our starter. Capice. Have a great day.

Translation: “Feltz, I was wrong about Dobbs”

Its ok Maniac, we all make mistakes.

steelz09
03-20-2018, 03:08 PM

I would smash my tv

Agreed. Dobbs was an awful pick especially in the 4th. The Steelers paniced.

Slapstick
03-20-2018, 03:21 PM
How do you panic in the 4th round? :lol::lol::lol:

Ernie
03-20-2018, 03:34 PM
I just finished up the movie "Draft day". Now there's cause for panic. 4th round picks aren't panic picks

Ernie
03-20-2018, 03:35 PM
I agree that Dobbs was a bit of a reach in the 4th though.

Steel Maniac
03-20-2018, 03:50 PM
I agree that Dobbs was a bit of a reach in the 4th though.

Can we just wait and see if there's any growth from Dobbs rookie season to this coming season before we start saying for certain weather he was a reach or not? It's not like he got a chance last year to show anything one way or the other. Let's see what he brings in preseason and see if he beats out Landry.

Buzz
03-20-2018, 06:03 PM
Here's the thing ... if Rudolph or Jackson or any of the QBs are really all that, I don't think they'll make it to #28, even if 3 or 4 other QBs are taken ahead of them. Other teams don't want to miss on possible franchise QBs, either. Translation: chances are slim that we take a QB in round 1.

Ernie
03-20-2018, 06:06 PM
Can we just wait and see if there's any growth from Dobbs rookie season to this coming season before we start saying for certain weather he was a reach or not? It's not like he got a chance last year to show anything one way or the other. Let's see what he brings in preseason and see if he beats out Landry.

I haven't written the kid off. He was drafted in the 4th as a 3rd string QB, and likely will remain there as long as Landry Jones stays on the roster. Within the next year or so, we are likely to draft a high round QB (Ben's replacement)... and at that point Dobb's will still be on the outside looking in. I'd like to see the kid get a shot somewhere. I just don't think it was a wise 4th round investment for us.

pittpete
03-20-2018, 06:22 PM

Go ahead and say it so i can put you back on ignore....:rolleyes:

feltdizz
03-20-2018, 06:46 PM

I wish you never took me off ignore. Then again, you said my name and obsessed over
me when you supposedly had me on ignore.

feltdizz
03-20-2018, 06:56 PM
Here's the thing ... if Rudolph or Jackson or any of the QBs are really all that, I don't think they'll make it to #28, even if 3 or 4 other QBs are taken ahead of them. Other teams don't want to miss on possible franchise QBs, either. Translation: chances are slim that we take a QB in round 1.

Those guys could be all that and still drop because scouts don’t always get it right.

I agree though, chances are slim but I think it makes for a good debate online.

Another thing is all year we kept hearing about how we need help on D, can’t get help with Bell on the rag and once again, the convo is QB and one person even wants a TE from Penn State.

Either this draft has no stars on defense or people can’t help themselves and fall into the same trap every offseason.

Steel Maniac
03-20-2018, 07:08 PM

Pay no attention to him.

Ghost
03-20-2018, 07:08 PM

Come on Pete, you really don’t think it’s ridiculous that Trubiski got drafted ahead of Watson? There’s no way he deserved to be the second pick in the draft.

Steel Maniac
03-20-2018, 07:10 PM
I haven't written the kid off. He was drafted in the 4th as a 3rd string QB, and likely will remain there as long as Landry Jones stays on the roster. Within the next year or so, we are likely to draft a high round QB (Ben's replacement)... and at that point Dobb's will still be on the outside looking in. I'd like to see the kid get a shot somewhere. I just don't think it was a wise 4th round investment for us.

Letís be fair; let the kid have a full training camp for once. There is no way he could be fairly assessed last year. His grade is an incomplete so far.

Ernie
03-20-2018, 07:56 PM
Letís be fair; let the kid have a full training camp for once. There is no way he could be fairly assessed last year. His grade is an incomplete so far.

Hey...I agree with the grade of "Incomplete" so far...and Im not rooting against the kid. Landry Jones will be the #2 this year. The #3 QB for Pitt is not necessarily a bad thing... because, like I said, Dobbs could be the #2 on other squads. It was just a bad investment for us in round #4 (which is my point).

feltdizz
03-20-2018, 08:07 PM
Come on Pete, you really don’t think it’s ridiculous that Trubiski got drafted ahead of Watson? There’s no way he deserved to be the second pick in the draft.

It’s beyond ridiculous. 2 national championship appearances and over 800 total yards vs a Bama defense and Trubisky is taken 2nd because???? Why? His 10 starts as a senior? Nothing about him in college screamed best QB. But he’s tall and “safe”

anyone who watched UNC (unfortunately I live in ACC country in NC) knew this was a reach. He didn’t do anything special in college.

feltdizz
03-20-2018, 08:08 PM
Pay no attention to him.

Ha... says the guy who said Dobbs wasn’t a running QB. Of course you don’t want to pay attention to me now.

steelz09
03-20-2018, 08:23 PM
When you draft a QB in the 4th round because all the other better options are gone and also likely got drafted to early, and then you reach for Dobbs. That was a panic and a shot in the dark at having someone to groom under Roethlisberger.

That's exactly what happened. Otherwise, you simply don't draft Dobbs in the 4th.

Slapstick
03-20-2018, 09:34 PM
...unless you actually believe he was worth a 4th round pick.

Ernie
03-20-2018, 09:46 PM
...unless you actually believe he was worth a 4th round pick.

Thats the question.. is a #3 qb worth a 4th round pick

feltdizz
03-20-2018, 09:47 PM
When you draft a QB in the 4th round because all the other better options are gone and also likely got drafted to early, and then you reach for Dobbs. That was a panic and a shot in the dark at having someone to groom under Roethlisberger.

That's exactly what happened. Otherwise, you simply don't draft Dobbs in the 4th.

or they saw a big, athletic QB with a nice arm who was raw but smart as hell so they think he may turn into something special.

NorthCoast
03-20-2018, 09:55 PM
See my post in another thread. Drafting a QB after Rd 2, the odds are only 1 in 3 that he will have success in the NFL (note a QB in Rd 1 or 2 are still less than 50/50 for a successful career).

Steel Maniac
03-20-2018, 10:57 PM
Again, none of us knows if Dobbs is a hit or miss yet. He has not been given an opportunity.

Shawn
03-20-2018, 11:14 PM
Again, none of us knows if Dobbs is a hit or miss yet. He has not been given an opportunity. Very true. If we dont grab Lamar Jackson, I would prefer to roll with Dobbs rather than spend a first on a system QB who can't throw a stiff out. But, hey that's just me.

Shawn
03-20-2018, 11:21 PM
I'm sorry but Rudolph is an average armed, average precision Qb who has big numbers in a system. There is nothing special about the guy. I prefer Dobbs. Dobbs is very bright, and I watched him during his last season in college start to progress through his reads. He has potential. I say let play the Ben thing play out until it goes out. Lets roll with Jones and Dobbs and let the chips fall. If we fail well we get a high draft pick and can get a QB worthy of this franchise.

feltdizz
03-20-2018, 11:33 PM
I'm sorry but Rudolph is an average armed, average precision Qb who has big numbers in a system. There is nothing special about the guy. I prefer Dobbs. Dobbs is very bright, and I watched him during his last season in college start to progress through his reads. He has potential. I say let play the Ben thing play out until it goes out. Lets roll with Jones and Dobbs and let the chips fall. If we fail well we get a high draft pick and can get a QB worthy of this franchise.

right? We got Dobbs so he can sit for a few years and learn from Ben.

I just dont see the need to draft a QB who is supposed to be the real deal so he can sit for 3 years behind Ben.

We have time before we need to draft a sure thing. Until then just roll with Landry and Dobbs.

Shawn
03-20-2018, 11:56 PM
right? We got Dobbs so he can sit for a few years and learn from Ben.

I just dont see the need to draft a QB who is supposed to be the real deal so he can sit for 3 years behind Ben.

We have time before we need to draft a sure thing. Until then just roll with Landry and Dobbs. I'm all for drafting the Rodgers to Farve. But, Rudolph is no Rodgers. And I don't see a guy in this draft at QB we can land that intrigues me besides Lamar Jackson.

Chadman
03-21-2018, 12:42 AM
Seems to be a lot of mixed opinions on Rudolph & if the Steelers should draft a QB.

I actually think they should draft a QB. BUT....

Ben isn’t going anywhere. You have time to draft some more raw, less refined options for now- let them complete with Landry Jones & Dobbs for 1 of the back-up spots, and not spend a 1st or 2nd round pick.

Why not Kyle Lauletta? Or Luke Falk?

Is ANYONE sold on Jones & Dobbs? Probably not. I don’t see the real risk in using a pick from Rounds 3-5 on a QB, shake them out in camp & see what you have. If it doesn’t work out? Maybe he’s a better back-up than Jones in time. Or maybe he’s the next Garropollo and sits & learns for a couple of years. Or maybe Jones & Dobbs are better, and the Steelers get a better idea on what is on their roster. A bit of competition at QB doesn’t hurt while the team is still competing to win a SB & not in rebuild mode. If the Steelers have Ben for 3 more years as is being discussed, a 1st or 2nd round QB really isn’t necessary at this point.

Slapstick
03-21-2018, 05:50 AM
If a QB is the best player on the board in round one and you think he is a franchise QB, take him...it isn’t a difficult decision...

Shawn
03-21-2018, 05:59 AM
If a QB is the best player on the board in round one and you think he is a franchise QB, take him...it isn’t a difficult decision... It's actually a very difficult decision because QB evaluations are by far the hardest.

Slapstick
03-21-2018, 07:48 AM
It's actually a very difficult decision because QB evaluations are by far the hardest.

But you’re talking about determining whether or not the QB is actually a “franchise QB”. I‘m talking about pulling the trigger when you have already made the determination.

Steel Maniac
03-21-2018, 08:01 AM
I hope they donít take a qb because of our pressing need in other areas and because I donít know if Dobbs isnít that guy already. Those two reasons alone I think are enough not to go the QB route this draft.

Slapstick
03-21-2018, 08:07 AM
The thing is, drafting for need gets you Jarvis Jones...

feltdizz
03-21-2018, 08:09 AM
Very true. If we dont grab Lamar Jackson, I would prefer to roll with Dobbs rather than spend a first on a system QB who can't throw a stiff out. But, hey that's just me.

Yes. Iím in this camp. I think Lamar Jackson is a special talent. I doubt he is available but thatís the only QB I would take at 28.

Ghost
03-21-2018, 08:24 AM
jim: Do you believe the rumors that if the Steelers sign Burnett they will take Rudolph with their number 1?
Ed Bouchette: I think they have a better chance drafting Blitzen or Comet

feltdizz
03-21-2018, 08:30 AM
jim: Do you believe the rumors that if the Steelers sign Burnett they will take Rudolph with their number 1?
Ed Bouchette: I think they have a better chance drafting Blitzen or Comet
Lmao..

yeah, I doubt it happens. Not sure why we spend al this time discussing QB’s and back up QB’s every offseason.

Especially when everyone says we need D and to find Bells replacement. We have to think about the OL, DL and depth at LB plus we always draft a WR because you can never have too many WR’s in today’s game.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
03-21-2018, 10:00 AM
If a QB is the best player on the board in round one and you think he is a franchise QB, take him...it isnít a difficult decision...

Agreed, and that's the bottom line. I don't follow CFB enough to pretend that my QB evaluation has any value, but if the Steelers draft a QB in the first it is not because they are just looking to draft a QB, it will be because they believe that the guy the draft is their next franchise QB.

Shawn
03-21-2018, 11:01 AM
Yes. I’m in this camp. I think Lamar Jackson is a special talent. I doubt he is available but that’s the only QB I would take at 28. Jackson is a rare talent. I'm in his camp. I watched a guy who had the worst OL in college football having to run for his life. When he had time, he was accurate and was able to progress through reads. He's an underrated passer. Let him sit behind Ben for a season or two and watch Jackson become the real deal.

Shawn
03-21-2018, 11:02 AM
Lmao..

yeah, I doubt it happens. Not sure why we spend al this time discussing QB’s and back up QB’s every offseason.

Especially when everyone says we need D and to find Bells replacement. We have to think about the OL, DL and depth at LB plus we always draft a WR because you can never have too many WR’s in today’s game. Yeah I think the whole Rudolph thing is merely smoke screen. I see about zero way they waste their first round pick on that guy.

papillon
03-21-2018, 01:26 PM
What I am finding interesting is that the QBs as a group are not rated that highly overall. CBS Sports has Mason Rudolph rated as the #1 QB but the 10th best player in the draft. And yet, many mock drafts have the 1st 3 players off the board as QBs. I believe that this draft is going to be a very strange draft and that a player the Steelers have rated very highly is going to fall to them and that player may be a QB. As far as talking about backup QBs on this board goes, I think the discussion is more based around the end of Ben's career. IMO, if one of the top 5 QBs fall to the Steelers at 1.28 and they have that player rated as best player left on the board, I think they have to take that player and jettison Dobbs or Jones. The Steelers hate 'rebuilding' because they lost 9, 10, 11 or more games and having a QB that you believe can be the future on the roster is something they will consider, IMO.

Pappy

The Man of Steel
03-21-2018, 01:45 PM
Brandon Weeden put up better numbers than Rudolph did at Oklahoma State and he’s now a bum on the street.

feltdizz
03-21-2018, 01:48 PM
Brandon Weeden put up better numbers than Rudolph did at Oklahoma State and he’s now a bum on the street.

No one should ever use numbers when evaluating Big 12 QB's. Damn near all of them put up ridiculous stats. Landry Jones had monster stats at OU.

They sling the rock all over the field in that conference.

Didn't Weeden throw to Sweed at OKState?

Slapstick
03-21-2018, 01:52 PM
Tee Martin won a National Championship at Tennessee, which Peyton Manning couldn’t do...but Manning is a first ballot HoFer while Martin was in the league for all of two years...

Slapstick
03-21-2018, 01:53 PM
Didn't Weeden throw to Sweed at OKState?

Vince Young threw to Sweed at Texas...

steeler_george
03-21-2018, 01:55 PM
Agreed, and that's the bottom line. I don't follow CFB enough to pretend that my QB evaluation has any value, but if the Steelers draft a QB in the first it is not because they are just looking to draft a QB, it will be because they believe that the guy the draft is their next franchise QB.

I am in the same boat as you, I can see how it makes sense to draft Rudolph or even Jackson to sit and groom behind BB.

we can afford it :
1) qb
2) bates/reid
3) Jewel/Burke

It makes more sense to keep talking how great he is and hopefully a team behind us bites, and either Evens, LVE slide down to us. Or even some team in the second round wants to trade up with us to take him.

I think now, we have luxury to take this risk...

RuthlessBurgher
03-21-2018, 02:07 PM

Weeden threw to Justin Blackmon at OK State (and a brief overlap with Dez Bryant as well).

feltdizz
03-21-2018, 04:14 PM

Geez. Must be the orange. How did I screw that one up?

Thanks.

steelerkeylargo
03-21-2018, 05:48 PM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2765244-2018-nfl-draft-best-fits-for-top-qbs-after-early-free-agency-action?share=other

Donnieboy
03-21-2018, 06:55 PM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2765244-2018-nfl-draft-best-fits-for-top-qbs-after-early-free-agency-action?share=other

Yep! I seriously believe this is the pick. And in case anyone hasn't noticed, Ben has not been extended for that 3rd year.

RuthlessBurgher
03-28-2018, 10:31 AM
Steelers would like to find a Young/ Rodgers to Ben’s Montana/Favre

Posted by Michael David Smith on March 28, 2018, 7:29 AM EDT

Ben Roethlisberger is still the Steelers’ franchise quarterback, but they might be in the market to draft his successor.

Steelers General Manager Kevin Colbert said on PFT Live that the Steelers would love to have Roethlisberger on the team for years to come, but they’d also like to acquire the heir apparent in advance, the way the 49ers did when they went from Joe Montana to Steve Young, and the way the Packers did when they went from Brett Favre to Aaron Rodgers.

“You want to give Ben the best opportunity to win a Super Bowl while he still can,” Colbert said. “You also want to recognize that great franchises that go from generation to generation and still are successful, they usually pass it on because of great quarterbacks. San Francisco from Montana to Steve Young, Green Bay from Brett Favre to Aaron Rodgers. You’d like to be able to do that.”

Colbert noted that the Steelers are unlikely to draft one of the elite prospects, however, simply because as long as they have Roethlisberger they’re probably not going to have a Top 5 pick.

“At some point you may draft a quarterback higher but as long as you’ve got Ben Roethlisberger playing for you, you’re hopefully not going to be able to get a guy that high,” he said.

So the Steelers aren’t in the market for a Sam Darnold or a Josh Allen. But they might be in the market for a quarterback who can replace Roethlisberger, even if it’s not a quarterback who can replace Roethlisberger immediately.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/03/28/steelers-would-like-to-find-a-young-rodgers-to-bens-montana-favre/

Northern_Blitz
03-28-2018, 11:29 AM

I generally agree with this. Which is why I don't get the Dobbs pick last year at all. He's not going to be a franchise QB. So, why spend the pick at QB when we already have a good backup in house?

Slapstick
03-28-2018, 11:31 AM
I generally agree with this. Which is why I don't get the Dobbs pick last year at all. He's not going to be a franchise QB. So, why spend the pick at QB when we already have a good backup in house?

Because Landry is under contract for this year only...

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
03-28-2018, 11:52 AM
Anticipating everyone is gone at ILB & S who should be gone and nobody falls like a Vea or Nelson...I think the Board stacks up like this:

LVE
Evans
Landry
Jackson
Reid
Rudolph
Gesicki
Guice

Now...Jackson would have to be discussed as a fit for the Steelers. I'm sure it has taken place through the process. Not knowing I'll leave him there based on Grade but I don't believe he will be there anyway.

I have Reid ahead of Rudolph, Gesicki, & Guice based on depth but again...Discussions that we aren't sitting in on could have them moved around. Meaning...If BB successor is really part of these discussions & they like MR...He's after the LBs.

So let's say sitting there at 28 & ILB Gone...Landry gone...Not able to trade out...Do the interviews, dinners, & visits come into light? Bostic & Burnett make it easy to go BPA. There may be no choice & They won't reach. A QB a very realistic possibility simply based on Steeler practices. With no trades...I think the pick is on that list & more than likely Jackson & Landry will be gone.

feltdizz
03-28-2018, 11:55 AM
Good point.

Northern_Blitz
03-28-2018, 02:49 PM

Fair enough, but (1) I don't think retaining Jones will be hard (2) I would have rather that they went for someone who had the potential to contribute while Ben is still playing instead of a guy who's ceiling is probably back up QB and (3) signing a journeyman backup QB also shouldn't be a difficult thing to do.

As a Mechanical Engineer, I like Dobbs. I think that his story is awesome. But I think that the pick makes pretty much zero sense when our window to with SBs is closing quickly.

Slapstick
03-28-2018, 03:09 PM
You build the team through the draft. If you think Dobbs is the best player on the board in the fourth round, then take him over a lesser player....

If you think he could be an eventual starter, you definitely take him...

SteelerOfDeVille
03-28-2018, 04:41 PM
Did people rally say that?

I wasnt on the Trib yet but most people I knew just said ďwho? How do you say his name?Ē

I always felt like the MAC was that one mid major conference that everyone accepted when it came to draft.
way late, but, ditto. Pennington and Leftwich had just entered the league and at the time were doing well... Not really sure anyone actually SAID that.
#RevisionistHistory

steelz09
03-28-2018, 09:36 PM
Dobbs means that the Steelers are ready to move on from Jones next year and make him the #2. At least I hope so or it was a waste.

It's strange because normally you want a backup QB to have starting experience at some point. A veteran especially with a project like Dobbs. Next year, do you really feel comfortable in Dobbs stepping in as the #2? I wouldn't. So, if we bring in a veteran to be the #2 then that further proves the point that many have that the Dobbs pick was a waste. You don't want to spend a 4th round draft pick project on a guy that will be the #3 QB. It's a waste.

If we draft MR then I would guess that Jones will be cut. If they cut Dobbs, it's again, a waste of a pick.

feltdizz
03-29-2018, 09:15 AM
Dobbs means that the Steelers are ready to move on from Jones next year and make him the #2. At least I hope so or it was a waste.

It's strange because normally you want a backup QB to have starting experience at some point. A veteran especially with a project like Dobbs. Next year, do you really feel comfortable in Dobbs stepping in as the #2? I wouldn't. So, if we bring in a veteran to be the #2 then that further proves the point that many have that the Dobbs pick was a waste. You don't want to spend a 4th round draft pick project on a guy that will be the #3 QB. It's a waste.

If we draft MR then I would guess that Jones will be cut. If they cut Dobbs, it's again, a waste of a pick.

We gave Dobbs a ton of reps last year in preseason. I expect we will do the same this preseason.

I seriously doubt we pick MR this year. Only QB I think we would take is Lamar Jackson but I think he will be gone. Hell, I hope Rudolph AND Jackson are gone by the time we pick.

SidSmythe
03-29-2018, 08:50 PM
We gave Dobbs a ton of reps last year in preseason. I expect we will do the same this preseason.

I seriously doubt we pick MR this year. Only QB I think we would take is Lamar Jackson but I think he will be gone. Hell, I hope Rudolph AND Jackson are gone by the time we pick.

I don't think RUDOLPH makes it past the BILLS at #12 or #22 assuming they don't move up.

Steel Maniac
03-29-2018, 11:09 PM

No doubt. If Colbert pulls the trigger on any QB in the first round, it's because he believes he's our future franchise QB

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
04-01-2018, 03:28 PM
way late, but, ditto. Pennington and Leftwich had just entered the league and at the time were doing well... Not really sure anyone actually SAID that.
#RevisionistHistory

The Ben pick in '04 was a board favorite. I remember it because I had watched his last two games - gonna say his conference championship game and bowl game. I remember because both were played on a Thursday night and used to go to a local bar with a bunch of friends every Thursday. Saw the games on sattelite dish (how times have changed) there and kept getting drawn to this big mobile QB who could throw on a line while on the move. He was incredible in those two games and I thought I'd discovered this kid. By the time the draft came around, it seemed that everybody already knew who he was and the biggest question was would he fall to #11, not would you want him if he did.