PDA

View Full Version : Earl Thomas _ L Bell Straight Up?

NorthCoast
03-15-2018, 08:41 PM
would you...?

feltdizz
03-15-2018, 08:53 PM
Helllllll no

pittpete
03-15-2018, 09:42 PM
Nope..........

Disco1981
03-15-2018, 09:59 PM
Yep.........

Buzz
03-15-2018, 11:10 PM
No ..........

Oviedo
03-16-2018, 04:21 AM
would you...?

No way

I think everyone tends to forget that the team appears to have gotten Ben to commit to at least three more years. I really don't think part of those discussions include..."oh by the way, we are getting rid of LB." IMO LB is important enough that if he goes Ben reconsiders staying. Just my opinion

Ernie
03-16-2018, 06:04 AM
No way

I think everyone tends to forget that the team appears to have gotten Ben to commit to at least three more years. I really don't think part of those discussions include..."oh by the way, we are getting rid of LB." IMO LB is important enough that if he goes Ben reconsiders staying. Just my opinion

The times I have heard Ben talk about retirement, and why he considers sticking around... the Offensive line always comes up. I have never heard him talk about Bell specifically... but I'm sure Bell leaving doesn't help Ben's cause (in terms of Ben staying a few more years). Do I see Ben having a huge influence on Offensive personnel the next few years? Absolutely.. my hope is, it's not at the expense of solidifying the Defense.

SteelBucks
03-16-2018, 07:39 AM
No way

Your theory will more than likely be tested next offseason.

feltdizz
03-16-2018, 07:51 AM
No way

Exactly.

and we didn’t have problems improving the defense defense last year when we paid Bell 12.5 mill.

Northern_Blitz
03-16-2018, 09:14 AM
Exactly.

and we didn’t have problems improving the defense defense last year when we paid Bell 12.5 mill.

I wouldn't hold my breath hoping that something like the Haden deal happens again. I hope it does because I think we need two starters on D on the cheap. The team seems to be OK going into the draft with Wilcox and Big Red since our current cap room is about draft picks plus the cushion they bring into the regular season.

That being said, the advantage that consistently good teams like the Steelers have is that they become a preferred destination after all the stupid money signings in UFA.

Buzz
03-16-2018, 09:16 AM
Exactly.

and we didn’t have problems improving the defense defense last year when we paid Bell 12.5 mill. We had more money available last year, and weren't having to replace Ryan Shazier.

Slapstick
03-16-2018, 09:31 AM
Shazier also counts $8.7 million against the cap.

williar
03-16-2018, 11:00 AM
I doubt if I'm going out on a limb to say that, without LeVeon Bell, we would be lucky to win 6 games next season. (Seriously!) People just overlook what he actually means to this offense...

Northern_Blitz
03-16-2018, 11:11 AM
I doubt if I'm going out on a limb to say that, without LeVeon Bell, we would be lucky to win 6 games next season. (Seriously!) People just overlook what he actually means to this offense...

I think that might be true if you don't account for the fact that we'd use the money elsewhere.

On the other hand, if the draft doesn't pan out and we end up starting Wilcox and Big Red I'm not sure we do all that well either. The Shazier injury really hurts the team. I think good offenses will shred our D without some significant changes. But maybe I'm over-reacting to the Jags game...we played OK against the Pats without Shazier. I do think that we built our D to beat the Pats and got their polar opposite in the Jags.

williar
03-16-2018, 12:03 PM
The best thing for this offense (team) is continuity. You have a mostly veteran team on offense and the last thing they need to be doing is trying to reinvent themselves. You have an aging QB who has proven he is slow to change. The strength of this team is still the offense and hopefully, with the new OC, they will become more consistent.

phillyesq
03-16-2018, 01:01 PM

The Steelers were 22nd in rushing yards per game last year. You don't think they could replicate that without Bell?

I realize that he does more, including his contributions as a pass blocker and in the receiving game. But let's look at his numbers:

- From week 11-13, he had 88, 106 and 77 yards receiving. Outside of those three games, he only surpassed 50 yards in a game twice.
- He only had 4 100 yard rushing games despite 8 games with over 20 carries.

With James Connor, if the Steelers had added Rex Burkhead ($3.25 AAV) and another draft pick, you could replicate the overall production.

I'm not sure I'd trade for Earl Thomas. He's missed 7 games over the last 2 years (felt like more, TBH) and doesn't seem to be the impact player he once was.

Eich
03-16-2018, 01:31 PM
I realize that he does more, including his contributions as a pass blocker and in the receiving game.

And without Bell in the receiving game, guess who gets MORE receptions. Antonio Brown, JuJu and Martavis. And maybe, just maybe, the tight end position.

He's great and all but I see no need to cave to his crazy demands.

williar
03-16-2018, 01:33 PM
The Steelers were 22nd in rushing yards per game last year. You don't think they could replicate that without Bell?

I realize that he does more, including his contributions as a pass blocker and in the receiving game. But let's look at his numbers:

- From week 11-13, he had 88, 106 and 77 yards receiving. Outside of those three games, he only surpassed 50 yards in a game twice.

With James Connor, if the Steelers had added Rex Burkhead ($3.25 AAV) and another draft pick, you could replicate the overall production.

I'm not sure I'd trade for Earl Thomas. He's missed 7 games over the last 2 years (felt like more, TBH) and doesn't seem to be the impact player he once was. Go show that information to the FO, they must be holding him hostage @14 mil. for a reason,;) ya think!!

Slapstick
03-16-2018, 01:43 PM
Yeah, I sure wish I could be "held hostage" while being paid $14 million...

At any rate, the Steelers simply want to maintain continuity and get one more good year from Bell...

If they spent a 2nd round pick, got about 9000 yards from scrimmage (after this year) and some TDs thrown in, and get a 3rd round pick after he walks, I'd say they've done pretty well...

papillon
03-16-2018, 02:11 PM

How many games do you think the Steelers would win without Ben but retained Bell? Curious.

Pappy

williar
03-16-2018, 02:31 PM
How many games do you think the Steelers would win without Ben but retained Bell? Curious.

PappyIt depends on who was replacing him. Landry Jones? Maybe 6 games. Russell Wilson? Probably 13 games.

And don't be upset with me that the Steelers franchised LB for 14 mil? Personally, I wished they would have let him walk if they don't want to pay him what he feels he is worth. Sometimes, the only way you will understand the value of a player is when he is not there.

feltdizz
03-16-2018, 04:15 PM

I'm not sure I'd trade for Earl Thomas. He's missed 7 games over the last 2 years (felt like more, TBH) and doesn't seem to be the impact player he once was.

Stats are funny things. There is context that has to go along with these stats.

How many times did Bell catch a pass for a 1st down?

What was our record when Bell had at least 20 rushes?

How many times was Bell the 3 or 4th option when Brown, JuJu and Bryant weren’t open and he kept a drive alive?

Its not just the yards that make Bell so dynamic.

Eddie Spaghetti
03-16-2018, 04:19 PM
I don't know if bell can be considered "dynamic"

longest rush was 27 yards and only 3 over 20

great back but not a gamebreaker by any stretch. his strength lies in his all around game and you have to question how long that would hold true over the lifetime of a long term deal at huge $$

buccoray61
03-16-2018, 04:20 PM
No way

^
There it is. Truth

Eddie Spaghetti
03-16-2018, 04:22 PM
Ben isn't walking away if bell leaves. walking away from 75 million or more?

give me a damn break

feltdizz
03-16-2018, 04:28 PM
I don't know if bell can be considered "dynamic"

longest rush was 27 yards and only 3 over 20

great back but not a gamebreaker by any stretch. his strength lies in his all around game and you have to question how long that would hold true over the lifetime of a long term deal at huge $$

great all around game? you just described dynamic

Eddie Spaghetti
03-16-2018, 04:32 PM
not really

maybe you don't know the definition of the word

is bell dynamic with the ball in his hands?

nope

buccoray61
03-16-2018, 04:53 PM
Ben isn't walking away if bell leaves. walking away from 75 million or more?

give me a damn break

Sure he could. No doubt he'll play this season, but he was considering quitting after the 2016 season so he had plenty of money then. This extension is like playing with found money, if things don't go to his liking he can easily walk away.

Eddie Spaghetti
03-16-2018, 04:57 PM
not a chance in hell

he loves bell so much to leave 75 million on the table?

pass the bong or put it down

buccoray61
03-16-2018, 05:06 PM
not a chance in hell

he loves bell so much to leave 75 million on the table?

pass the bong or put it down

How old are you 15?

Eddie Spaghetti
03-16-2018, 05:11 PM
I'm old enough to know that nobody walks away from 75 million dollars because somebody joins another team

of all the bell nonsense that gets posted here that may take the cake

if Ben leaves it will be because if family not leveon bell. good grief

feltdizz
03-16-2018, 05:14 PM
not really

maybe you don't know the definition of the word

is bell dynamic with the ball in his hands?

nope

Yeah, you guys sound crazy. It’s constantly used to describe him. Just because YOU are frustrated with Bell doesn’t mean he isn’t a dynamic RB.

SB Nation..
Le’Veon Bell, Pittsburgh’s dynamic, multifarious running back..

Boston Globe...

With an offense custom-fitted for his style, Bell emerged as one of the most dynamic and versatile running backs in the NFL.

Eddie Spaghetti
03-16-2018, 05:19 PM
and you grasp at anything to inflate bell. look at todd gurley if you want to see dynamic

rush long of 57 with 8 runs of 20+

receiving long of 80 with 12 receptions if 20+

I have no desire to engage you over LB. I know you will say anything to advance his desire to "correct the RB market" you can't even take a compliment of being called a great overall back without getting your panties in a twist

knock yourself out with it

buccoray61
03-16-2018, 05:22 PM
I'm old enough to know that nobody walks away from 75 million dollars because somebody joins another team

of all the bell nonsense that gets posted here that may take the cake

if Ben leaves it will be because if family not leveon bell. good grief

You know what? I was going to post an insult back at you, but it's a waste of time. There are a few good posters here but there way too many who throw insults and some who I question are really Steelers fans. I done wasting my time. Peace

feltdizz
03-16-2018, 06:10 PM
and you grasp at anything to inflate bell. look at todd gurley if you want to see dynamic

rush long of 57 with 8 runs of 20+

receiving long of 80 with 12 receptions if 20+

I have no desire to engage you over LB. I know you will say anything to advance his desire to "correct the RB market" you can't even take a compliment of being called a great overall back without getting your panties in a twist

knock yourself out with it

Gurley is a beast as well.

You do know dynamic can apply to more than one player?

Damn near every publication uses dynamic as a description for Bell because he is good at all 3 phases of the game.

NorthCoast
03-16-2018, 06:49 PM
No way

I think everyone tends to forget that the team appears to have gotten Ben to commit to at least three more years. I really don't think part of those discussions include..."oh by the way, we are getting rid of LB." IMO LB is important enough that if he goes Ben reconsiders staying. Just my opinionI disagree with your opinion. Make no mistake, Roethlisberger is coming back because of who is gone... Haley. He now has an OC he likes and trusts and that makes all the difference in the world. Bell around probably factored in very little.. oh, and Roethlisberger had no way to know whether the Steelers would retain Bell at the time he said he would return.

Buzz
03-16-2018, 07:17 PM
I disagree with your opinion. Make no mistake, Roethlisberger is coming back because of who is gone... Haley. He now has an OC he likes and trusts and that makes all the difference in the world. Bell around probably factored in very little.. oh, and Roethlisberger had no way to know whether the Steelers would retain Bell at the time he said he would return.

Agreed.

Now maybe if he lost his entire OL, Ben would decide to call it a career.

feltdizz
03-16-2018, 08:34 PM
I disagree with your opinion. Make no mistake, Roethlisberger is coming back because of who is gone... Haley. He now has an OC he likes and trusts and that makes all the difference in the world. Bell around probably factored in very little.. oh, and Roethlisberger had no way to know whether the Steelers would retain Bell at the time he said he would return.

Hmmm... I think AB and Bell along with JuJu’s play are big factors in Ben wanting to continue playing.

You dont one walk away when you have weapons like this.

Has to be exciting for Ben to have all these weapons on offense.

and I think we all knew Bell was getting tagged. You really think Ben wasn’t in the know with the FO’s plans?

feltdizz
03-16-2018, 08:45 PM
Agreed.

Now maybe if he lost his entire OL, Ben would decide to call it a career.

Lmao? Huh?

First off that sounds crazy, who loses their whole OL?

Second, besides Pouncey I don’t think Ben really cares that much who is protecting him? Dude spent half his career defending terrible OL play. We never hear Ben asking for more weapons on the OL. He is always asking for weapons in the passing game.

We didn’t even go out and get a legit LT, we converted an Army Ranger on the cheap. We could lose Gilbert, AV and DD tomorrow and Ben would come back as long as the check clears.

Captain Lemming
03-16-2018, 10:07 PM
It depends on who was replacing him. Landry Jones? Maybe 6 games. Russell Wilson? Probably 13 games.

And don't be upset with me that the Steelers franchised LB for 14 mil? Personally, I wished they would have let him walk if they don't want to pay him what he feels he is worth. Sometimes, the only way you will understand the value of a player is when he is not there.

He was "not there" for TEN GAMES in 2015 and they gained more rushing yards, scored more rushing TDs, AND scored more points overall than last season.

NorthCoast
03-17-2018, 08:24 AM
Hmmm... I think AB and Bell along with JuJu’s play are big factors in Ben wanting to continue playing.

You dont one walk away when you have weapons like this.

Has to be exciting for Ben to have all these weapons on offense.

and I think we all knew Bell was getting tagged. You really think Ben wasn’t in the know with the FO’s plans?Roethlisberger had the same players at the end 2016 season and yet he openly contemplated retirement. What changed this season when he said soon after the end of the season he was coming back? ... it was the likelihood of getting a new OC...

phillyesq
03-17-2018, 10:21 AM
It depends on who was replacing him. Landry Jones? Maybe 6 games. Russell Wilson? Probably 13 games.

I'm really glad that you aren't running the front office. If you want to retain a player, and have the power to do so under the CBA, why on earth would you let him walk away for nothing?

feltdizz
03-17-2018, 11:01 AM
Roethlisberger had the same players at the end 2016 season and yet he openly contemplated retirement. What changed this season when he said soon after the end of the season he was coming back? ... it was the likelihood of getting a new OC...

It was right after a loss. Plenty of older players contemplate retirement but I think his contract was the main reason he came back.

he also said he may not have it anymore after the Jags 5 INT loss.

Its all talk.

Buzz
03-17-2018, 12:53 PM
We could lose Gilbert, AV and DD tomorrow and Ben would come back as long as the check clears.

Yet you think he might not come back if Bell isn't retained? :roll:

And you think I'm the one who "sounds crazy"?

feltdizz
03-17-2018, 01:21 PM
Yet you think he might not come back if Bell isn't retained? :roll:

And you think I'm the one who "sounds crazy"?

I think Ben was coming back regardless because he was under contract.

However, my theory is if Bell leaves after this year I definitely think it would impact Ben’s decision to sign another contract.