PDA

View Full Version : Steelers clearing out secondary

Ghost
03-14-2018, 07:05 PM
Gay, Golden, and Mitchell all released today.

NorthCoast
03-14-2018, 07:07 PM
Gay, Golden, and Mitchell all released today.No surprises there. Question is what is their plan to restock?

Ghost
03-14-2018, 07:27 PM
The Honey Badger just became free.

Slapstick
03-14-2018, 07:31 PM
The Honey Badger just became free.

It was reported that he is meeting with Pittsburgh tomorrow morning...

feltdizz
03-14-2018, 07:38 PM
I like the honey badger but injuries are a concern.

I think he is finally healthy now.

Would be be a nice upgrade. He isn’t trying to play for less than $11 mill but maybe we can finesse the numbers.

Also heard he he wanted to go somewhere where defense mattered. Whatever that means.

SteelBucks
03-14-2018, 07:42 PM
I was a little surprised Golden was released. Good special teams player and defensive depth.

Ernie
03-14-2018, 07:49 PM

Wow..that kid's a baller. Fingers crossed!

SteelBucks
03-14-2018, 07:50 PM
Wow..that kid's a baller. Fingers crossed!

Good when healthy.

Slapstick
03-14-2018, 08:04 PM
Good when healthy...though he has played in more games over the last five years than our own Le’Veon Bell...

feltdizz
03-14-2018, 08:32 PM

He shouldn’t leave without a signed contract.

Real Deal Steel
03-14-2018, 08:49 PM
I see it was bum disposal day today and all the bums were cast out! It's about time.

Honey Badger has to pass a physical before he can even have conversation as far as I'm concerned.

8467thekraken
03-14-2018, 08:57 PM
What has he missed time for?

SanAntonioSteelerFan
03-14-2018, 09:10 PM
Have mercy on the clueless, brothers. Who is the HoneyBadger?

8467thekraken
03-14-2018, 09:17 PM
Tyrann Mathieu. Former Safety for Arizona. I believe he played for LSU. 5'9, 190. 25 yrs old. I know he's skilled. I also know he has had some injuries. Just don't know the quantity and level of severity.

But if he passes the physical, I hope we can get him.

fordfixer
03-14-2018, 09:28 PM
Have mercy on the clueless, brothers. Who is the HoneyBadger?
Thank you good question :D

feltdizz
03-14-2018, 09:36 PM
What has he missed time for?

2 ACL’s and a shoulder injury.

He played 16 games last season.

Real Deal Steel
03-14-2018, 09:39 PM
I'm hoping we get a shot at Delvin Breaux. This guy is good enough to put opposite of Hayden if need be. He brings the type of quality depth we are really needing.

Rara
03-14-2018, 10:44 PM
Where are you guys hearing that Mathieu is going to Pittsburgh for a visit tomorrow morning? Not seeing anything anywhere.

feltdizz
03-15-2018, 01:33 AM
Where are you guys hearing that Mathieu is going to Pittsburgh for a visit tomorrow morning? Not seeing anything anywhere.

You know, I could’ve sworn I saw a link or 2 on google but now when I search I didn’t find anything.

Uh oh.. someone may have duped us.

Slapstick
03-15-2018, 06:05 AM
It was definitely Tweeted from an NFL reporter that Mathieu was coming to Pittsburgh. Now, could it have been a fake tweet or been taken down? Sure.

But, the rumor was definitely out there...

Ghost
03-15-2018, 06:36 AM
I'm hoping we get a shot at Delvin Breaux. This guy is good enough to put opposite of Hayden if need be. He brings the type of quality depth we are really needing.

Hate to burst your bubble but word is; if he passes his physical (and no belief he won't) the Broncos will be signing him immediately.

feltdizz
03-15-2018, 06:58 AM
It was definitely Tweeted from an NFL reporter that Mathieu was coming to Pittsburgh. Now, could it have been a fake tweet or been taken down? Sure.

But, the rumor was definitely out there...

Frustrating because I told a friend of mine he was coming and he laughed at the notion.

If it was just a rumor he won’t let me live this down for a minute.

steeler_george
03-15-2018, 07:12 AM
As much as i think he is a baller, and still young, his health is a big question. Why would Arizona dump his salary and then go throw 20 million Bradford? That does sound logical cap savings?

SteelBucks
03-15-2018, 07:26 AM
There is still a lot of dead weight left in the secondary....Wilcox, Sensenbaugh. But I guess you can’t cut everyone.

I also do not see anything about Mathieu visiting.

steeler_george
03-15-2018, 07:40 AM
There is still a lot of dead weight left in the secondary....Wilcox, Sensenbaugh. But I guess you can’t cut everyone.

I also do not see anything about Mathieu visiting.

Wilcox is on theam till we find his replacement, I would not keep him for depth at that price.
Sensenbaugh is just on team, he is behind Allen and Sutton.

We have enough depth without those bozos:
Haden, Burns, Hilton, Sutton, Allen
Davis, Dangerfield, ?,?

feltdizz
03-15-2018, 07:42 AM
As much as i think he is a baller, and still young, his health is a big question. Why would Arizona dump his salary and then go throw 20 million Bradford? That does sound logical cap savings?

Because AZ has no QB and for some reason Bradford keeps getting chances to prove he can play for 3 or 4 games before a mystery injury.

Steelwolf
03-15-2018, 08:02 AM
Still early but if we go with most of what we have and know n it much can change about it but damn lol

steeler_george
03-15-2018, 08:05 AM
Because AZ has no QB and for some reason Bradford keeps getting chances to prove he can play for 3 or 4 games before a mystery injury.

Sometimes I feel sorry for Bradford, he can't shake the injury bug. When healthy is better than average QB. But it is true.... he keeps on getting paid!

I would of rolled dice on McCow...

RuthlessBurgher
03-15-2018, 10:29 AM

Since when were the Bidwells ever logical?

Steel Maniac
03-15-2018, 10:32 AM
Since when were the Bidwells ever logical?

When they drafted Fitzgerald. How long ago was that? LOL

rpmpit
03-15-2018, 12:48 PM
Came in here hoping to hear about Mathieu. Got excited... then saw it was just a rumor. Any chance at Kenny Vaccaro?

Steelhere10
03-15-2018, 01:45 PM
I think Vaccaro is the one to keep an eye on.

RuthlessBurgher
03-15-2018, 02:02 PM
I think Vaccaro is the one to keep an eye on.

Or Tre Boston or Eric Reid.

RuthlessBurgher
03-15-2018, 02:11 PM
Steelers bringing in Tyrann Mathieu might be a long shot, but many believed the same about Joe Haden

The Pittsburgh Steelers fan base is longing for safety Tyrann Mathieu, but is the scenario realistic?

By Jeff Hartman

Mar 15, 2018, 12:45pm EDT

As soon as the Arizona Cardinals released safety Tyrann Mathieu, the Steelers fan base started buzzing about the potential of the former LSU Tiger taking over in the Pittsburgh secondary.

Considering the team’s current salary cap situation, this seems to be a long shot, at best. With saying that, it also should be noted a very similar song was sung prior to the regular season last year when the team acquired Joe Haden.

The analysts and talking heads said he would ask for too much money, and next thing you know he is meeting with Mike Tomlin and signing on the dotted line.

So, what does it take for Mathieu to come to Pittsburgh? A couple things, actually. He would have to take a deal which has a very team-friendly cap hit, at least for the 2018 season. On top of that, the team would have to feel he is back to his 2016 self, before injury saw his game decline in 2017. Lastly, the Steelers have to be a place Mathieu wants to go, in hopes of winning a Super Bowl.

This was ultimately what lured in Haden, and considering the state of the Cardinals the past few seasons, he might view Pittsburgh as his best chance to get to the promised land. Mathieu described what he is looking for in a future home when texting with Albert Breer of the NFL Network:

Texted with ex-Cardinals DB Tyrann Mathieu on what he's looking for in his next destination: "I wanna go somewhere where football and defense matters." Said he'd love to go to a place where he can immerse himself in the game, and a culture of winning.
— Albert Breer (@AlbertBreer) March 14, 2018

This certainly got the attention of one member of the Pittsburgh Steelers. None other than Cameron Heyward. See his response to Breer’s tweet:

Tell him to give me a call lol
— Cam Heyward (@CamHeyward) March 14, 2018

Heyward isn’t the only one who has openly been discussing Mathieu potentially coming to the Steel City. Keion Adams posted this image on his personal Twitter page:

@Mathieu_Era pic.twitter.com/xklgDXRIWj
— #QuiickBandz #BOSrackz (@civilSAVAGE1) March 14, 2018

It is exciting to think about a play maker like Mathieu coming to Pittsburgh to help the team in an area of need, but there are so many aspects of this equation it could make one’s head spin. The Steelers could, and should, be all-in for the upcoming season, but at what cost? Do you jeopardize your financial future even more just to bring in one player who hasn’t been the same the past two seasons?

Love or hate Pro Football Focus (PFF) for their grading system, this is a good visual of Mathieu’s play since 2013:

Who are the best Free Agents left?

Live updates on the NFL's top 25 remaining unrestricted free agents!

: https://t.co/v5pBah5myh pic.twitter.com/sUhmsh6iRN
— Pro Football Focus (@PFF) March 15, 2018

The Steelers took a risk on Haden, who battled injuries in Cleveland before coming to Pittsburgh, and it paid off. Could they pull off a similar deal with Mathieu, a place he could re-invent himself? Only time will tell, but I’m sure the Steelers are at least putting out their feelers to see just what the ‘Honey Badger’ is expecting financially in free agency.

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2018-pittsburgh-steelers-free-agency-news-rumors/2018/3/15/17122704/steelers-bringing-in-tyrann-mathieu-might-be-a-long-shot-but-many-believed-the-same-about-joe-haden

phillyesq
03-15-2018, 02:46 PM
I was a little surprised Golden was released. Good special teams player and defensive depth.

That was surprising. Particularly given that with the dead money from his signing bonus and accounting for a minimum contract level replacement, the Steelers only save about $500k on the cap.

pittpete
03-15-2018, 03:17 PM

Because Matthieu isnt a QB.
Not saying Bradford should get $20 million...

RuthlessBurgher
03-16-2018, 10:29 AM
Tyrann Mathieu's skill set has to intrigue Steelers

His skill set is enticing, but Tyrann Mathieu's injuries and price tag may be too much for the Steelers.

9:53 AM ET

Jeremy Fowler
ESPN Staff Writer

PITTSBURGH -- A rangy safety who can line up as a cornerback or linebacker with a mix of athleticism and physicality?

That's the kind of hybrid weapon the modern Pittsburgh Steelers defense covets. Versatility is why they drafted Ryan Shazier and Sean Davis. And that's why the team should at least have a detailed conversation about free agent Tyrann Mathieu, who was released by the Arizona Cardinals on Wednesday due to a bloated salary.

The reasons for not signing him are clear -- money and injuries. Despite turning 26 in May, Mathieu has battled through two significant knee injuries and a shoulder issue. The Steelers sit at $6.512 million in cap space as of Thursday, the third-lowest clip in the league, so meeting Mathieu's demands would be a challenge. Mathieu is used to making $10 million per year, which should be his market. The Steelers barely have enough cushion to sign a rookie class.

But since signing a former Pro Bowl defensive back fresh off a release worked out well last summer with Joe Haden, maybe the Steelers employ a similar strategy. Haden carries a $11.916 million cap number and the Steelers don't seem to care much because he's their best player in the secondary. Haden is one of five Steelers with a cap hit of more than $10 million, which has them in cost-cutting mode this time of year, but no move is impossible. The Steelers did just make $26 million of space disappear with four contract restructures since February.

Point is, if the Steelers really wanted to make a run at a wrecking-ball safety in free agency, they can make it happen. They passed on the top inside linebackers at $5-9 million per year, but only the elite linebackers can swiftly cover the pass as well as the run, which is crucial in today's NFL. Mathieu can do both.

Steelers teammates have nudged Mathieu on social media, with Haden teasing a phone call to the Honey Badger. Recruiting won't be enough to move the Steelers into a deal. And all signs point to bargain-shopping once again.

The Steelers rarely move in free agency, which is often a sign of a stable roster. There are enough good safeties in the first three rounds of the draft. Pittsburgh had a chance at Eric Weddle two years ago and opted for a rookie in stead.

But getting his skill set for a team firmly entrenched in a championship window has to be at least mildly tempting.

Need and fit mateh up, even if the money does not.

http://www.espn.com/blog/pittsburgh-steelers/post/_/id/27442/tyrann-mathieus-skill-set-has-to-intrigue-steelers