PDA

View Full Version : Vikings offer to Cousins/Bell wants

steeler_george
03-13-2018, 11:22 AM
I am watching the NFL network, and they are reporting that the Vikings offered Cousins 3 yr 28 Million.

Now compare that to how much Bell wants? I am all for resigning Bell, but in comparison to what the expected "highest paid QB" is offered, it sounds crazy to pay the 15 Million that Bell wants...or am I comparing apples and oranges .

Steel Maniac
03-13-2018, 11:28 AM
Feltz will be here to fight you over Bell in 5, 4, 3,2,1.....................

phillyesq
03-13-2018, 11:51 AM
You need a QB in the league. You can get by with mediocre RBs but you can't succeed without a QB. Dense as he is, I'd hope that even Bell understands the QB premium.

Eich
03-13-2018, 12:24 PM
I am watching the NFL network, and they are reporting that the Vikings offered Cousins 3 yr 28 Million.

Now compare that to how much Bell wants? I am all for resigning Bell, but in comparison to what the expected "highest paid QB" is offered, it sounds crazy to pay the 15 Million that Bell wants...or am I comparing apples and oranges .

$28M/year for Cousins is quite a bit higher than what Bell wants. It's nearly double. I'm not sure that comparison is really making the point. But I agree that we shouldn't be paying Bell $15M/year. Much bigger needs on defense.

Steel Maniac
03-13-2018, 12:28 PM
Vikings signed Kirk Cousins, formerly of the Redskins, to a three-year contract.

The deal is believed to be for around $86 million, and ESPN's Adam Schefter reports it will be fully-guaranteed, a landmark for an NFL free agent. The deal is expected to be finalized after Cousins visits the Vikings' facility on Thursday. It always made sense for Cousins to land in Minnesota, an organization with a strong roster and good coaching which gives him a chance to win right away.

Slapstick
03-13-2018, 12:36 PM
$28M/year for Cousins is quite a bit higher than what Bell wants. It's nearly double. I'm not sure that comparison is really making the point. But I agree that we shouldn't be paying Bell $15M/year. Much bigger needs on defense.

The point is that Cousins’ deal is in line with other highly paid QBs. Bell wants something far out of line with other highly paid RBs...

Steel Maniac
03-13-2018, 12:47 PM
The point is that Cousins’ deal is in line with other highly paid QBs. Bell wants something far out of line with other highly paid RBs...

Because Bell has taken it upon himself to reset the runningback market for the entire league. Bell said it himself. So if your Steeler management, do you want to do that to the league?

Buzz
03-13-2018, 12:49 PM
Cousins to get 3 years, $86 million, fully guaranteed? Maybe that's in line with what Garappalo got, but it seems out of whack with even the great franchise QBs -- Brees just got 2 year from the Saints, at about $25 million per ... Cousins is gonna make considerably more.

williar
03-13-2018, 12:58 PM
Vikings still ain't winning the Super Bowl! Have you ever seen him play in a game that "mattered?" He won't be much better (if any) than Keenum! Mark my words...

steeler_george
03-13-2018, 12:59 PM
Vikings signed Kirk Cousins, formerly of the Redskins, to a three-year contract.

The deal is believed to be for around $86 million, and ESPN's Adam Schefter reports it will be fully-guaranteed, a landmark for an NFL free agent. The deal is expected to be finalized after Cousins visits the Vikings' facility on Thursday. It always made sense for Cousins to land in Minnesota, an organization with a strong roster and good coaching which gives him a chance to win right away.

Delete this thread! I heard it wrong and that is why I could not comprehend it.

I heard, "3 yrs for 28 million", and not " 28 Million per year for 3 years"

In that light WOW.. he got paid!

Steel Maniac
03-13-2018, 01:24 PM
Vikings still ain't winning the Super Bowl! Have you ever seen him play in a game that "mattered?" He won't be much better (if any) than Keenum! Mark my words...

Have you seen him play with any real team around him? I think your being to harsh. With what he had, he made chicken soup out of chicken $hit. That unto itself is pretty good.

williar
03-13-2018, 01:32 PM
Funny how you don't hear any outrage nor debate over this ridiculous signing! A mediocre QB who has won, like what, one playoff game in his career? And has a laughable record in games against teams with winning records, now is the highest paid! OMG... But hey, no criticism here because he's a QB... How ridiculous is that notion? The league has done a great job manipulating the belief that only QBS deserve to get paid. This is going to get good...!

williar
03-13-2018, 01:35 PM
Have you seen him play with any real team around him? I think your being to harsh. With what he had, he made chicken soup out of chicken $hit. That unto itself is pretty good. Hey! no team around him should be needed. If you are a QB who is just fine taking up a third of the salary cap then why are you even talking about TEAM! Can't have it both ways...

Northern_Blitz
03-13-2018, 01:51 PM
Funny how you don't hear any outrage nor debate over this ridiculous signing! A mediocre QB who has won, like what, one playoff game in his career? And has a laughable record in games against teams with winning records, now is the highest paid! OMG... But hey, no criticism here because he's a QB... How ridiculous is that notion? The league has done a great job manipulating the belief that only QBS deserve to get paid. This is going to get good...!

I would be upset if Ben wasn't here and the Steelers signed this deal. Same with the Garapallo deal (especially this one). I'd rather draft and develop a guy than pay a ridiculous price for a try-out contract. In that vein, the Cousins deal is much better than Garapallo (who hasn't even started half a season's worth of games).

UFAs are always overpaid. Especially UFAs at skill positions. That's why the Steelers look to the draft for their impact players and UFA as depth / stop gap starters. I tend to think that the Shazier injury happening at the end of Ben's career puts more pressure on them to make a UFA signing, but they seem to have decided to try to keep Bell and hope for the best in the draft on D.

Steel Maniac
03-13-2018, 02:11 PM

He's only going to be the highest paid for a week or two. Wait til Rodgers gets his contract and basically eliminates Green Bay from putting together a good team. LOL

pittpete
03-13-2018, 02:28 PM
QB salaries are getting ridiculous......
Cant remember my math so well any more but isnt that like 15+% of the salary cap going to "ONE" QB?

feltdizz
03-13-2018, 05:20 PM
Cousins deal is unprecedented. It’s never been done before.

86mill fully guaranteed?

Thats crazy.

feltdizz
03-13-2018, 05:25 PM

Wait... you thought it was 38 mill total?

Lmao, Bell has this board losing its mind.

Ernie
03-13-2018, 05:28 PM

86mill fully guaranteed?

Thats crazy.

Crazy indeed. The Vikes were the last team in the league I saw as going after Cousins. They've got 3 quality starters at QB (when healthy).

feltdizz
03-13-2018, 05:31 PM

I have no problem admitting I’m rooting for this to fail miserably.

buccoray61
03-13-2018, 05:33 PM

86mill fully guaranteed?

Thats crazy.

My hats off to Cousins. He bet on himself, signed the franchise contracts, and waited for his time and of paid off big.

buccoray61
03-13-2018, 05:36 PM
Crazy indeed. The Vikes were the last team in the league I saw as going after Cousins. They've got 3 quality starters at QB (when healthy).

Had three. They were all free agents. I guess they could have franchised one of them, but they chose to go a different direction.

feltdizz
03-13-2018, 05:50 PM
My hats off to Cousins. He bet on himself, signed the franchise contracts, and waited for his time and of paid off big.

He pimped theNFL big time. I’m not mad at him.. but I also think he is trash. LOL.

Nothing wrong with betting on yourself in this league.

i guess the real question is what does this deal do for us? I hoped Ben would sign a contract that had a little home town discount in it for obvious reasons.

Is it even possible now that Cousins signed an NBA contract?

If I’m Rogers or Ben I want all of my my money guaranteed. Does that help or hurt the cap hit?

Ernie
03-13-2018, 06:40 PM
Had three. They were all free agents. I guess they could have franchised one of them, but they chose to go a different direction.

Understood.

They had 3 at the end of the season. Could have easily signed one.

NorthCoast
03-13-2018, 06:42 PM
Teams forgetting that it rarely works out to buy a Superbowl win.

NorthCoast
03-13-2018, 06:43 PM
He pimped theNFL big time. I’m not mad at him.. but I also think he is trash. LOL.

Nothing wrong with betting on yourself in this league.

i guess the real question is what does this deal do for us? I hoped Ben would sign a contract that had a little home town discount in it for obvious reasons.

Is it even possible now that Cousins signed an NBA contract?

If I’m Rogers or Ben I want all of my my money guaranteed. Does that help or hurt the cap hit?Kinda what most fans want from Bell... where's the hometown discount?

steeler_george
03-13-2018, 07:31 PM

Maybe I should of compared Sammy Watkins deal, 3 yrs 48 million ( not sure how much is guaranteed)

With all this overpaying, Bell resigning long term might sounds like a bargain.

feltdizz
03-13-2018, 08:17 PM
Kinda what most fans want from Bell... where's the hometown discount?

You don’t ask for home town discounts on the first contract... lol

feltdizz
03-13-2018, 10:02 PM
Maybe I should of compared Sammy Watkins deal, 3 yrs 48 million ( not sure how much is guaranteed)

With all this overpaying, Bell resigning long term might sounds like a bargain.

Also probably the reason we didn’t let Bell test the market.

Captain Lemming
03-13-2018, 11:29 PM

What is there to be outraged about. This is a STEELER board.....who cares what the Redskins paid?
If WE paid that much to Cousins for that dough and nobody here said boo.......you'd have a case.

Much criticism from Vike fans on the PURPLE THOUGHTS Viking board.

The following is from a thread titled; "Vikings, Cousins reportedly agree to deal"
-At $28 million a year for the next three seasons, will the Vikings have enough cap space to field a strong team around Cousins?
-I donÂ’t like it. If cousins stays healthy heÂ’s going to kill our cap again in 2-3 yrs, and if he doesnÂ’t, his cap number kills us now.
-If this is true I'm really bummed but what do i know? I just have a hard time paying top 5 money to a guy who is not a top 5 QB in the league.
-After 12 posts on the thread "Vikingstate" FINALLY says: "I guess I'll be the first positive comment on this"

https://scout.com/nfl/vikings/Board/102855/Contents/Minnesota-Vikings-QB-Kirk-Cousins-reportedly-agree-to-deal-116183399

Disco1981
03-13-2018, 11:37 PM
So...The Vikings gave imo...probably about the 10th best NFL QB 86 mill ( fully guaranteed ) Stupid!
And, It's deals like this, That screw it up for all the other teams!

Chadman
03-14-2018, 12:18 AM
I don’t think it necessarily screws things up for other teams.

It means that perpetually good teams need to find smarter ways to put consistently good rosters together instead of overspending when they don’t need to. But really, I think if you look at it- that becomes obvious. There are a handful of teams that are nearly always toward the top of their division, and larger bunch that are in & out of contention every year & a bunch that just never seem to get it.

Teams like the Steelers, Pats, Eagles- these teams ‘get it’. They don’t overspend to try to ‘remain competitive’. They keep the vital cogs together, they draft well- they perpetuate.

Converesely, there are the Browns, the Jets etc who are continually making the same mistakes over & over- over paying guys that other teams removed for a reason.

Then there are the flux teams that are in & out of contention based on either 1 good draft class, or some splashed FA money- but that only gets them a short window to work in before the roster gets gutted to accommodate the FA money spent.

FA $’s will always go up, the same as the cost of living. The same dumb teams will spend dumb money & get poor reward for it.

Cousins was the ‘best’ QB on the FA market. Not the best QB in the NFL. Yet now he is paid like it. Good luck to him. But this will bite the Vikings more than it will ‘the rest of the NFL’. At some point in the next couple of years some of the key guys that got them as far as they went this year will be discarded because of Cousins’ contract numbers. And that is when the Vikings will flux downward again..

Chadman
03-14-2018, 12:26 AM
The “Best” FA QB this year, IMO, signed for the Jets & therefore won’t ever be able to prove he was the best on the market....

That all said, if Case Keenum can get the Vikings to as close as they got, I have to admit that Cousins might take them further. He is clearly a better QB.

Sword
03-14-2018, 08:20 AM
This is insane...to play football!!! WTF.... all teams suffer with jacked up prices......Ben is smiling right now......his day is coming soon for a 3 year deal as well....

feltdizz
03-14-2018, 09:07 AM
The “Best” FA QB this year, IMO, signed for the Jets & therefore won’t ever be able to prove he was the best on the market....

That all said, if Case Keenum can get the Vikings to as close as they got, I have to admit that Cousins might take them further. He is clearly a better QB.

The funny thing about the MFL is one year you can be in a championship game and the next year you can go 6-10.

williar
03-14-2018, 09:44 AM
What is there to be outraged about. This is a STEELER board.....who cares what the Redskins paid?
If WE paid that much to Cousins for that dough and nobody here said boo.......you'd have a case.

Much criticism from Vike fans on the PURPLE THOUGHTS Viking board.

The following is from a thread titled; "Vikings, Cousins reportedly agree to deal"
-At $28 million a year for the next three seasons, will the Vikings have enough cap space to field a strong team around Cousins?
-I donÂ’t like it. If cousins stays healthy heÂ’s going to kill our cap again in 2-3 yrs, and if he doesnÂ’t, his cap number kills us now.
-If this is true I'm really bummed but what do i know? I just have a hard time paying top 5 money to a guy who is not a top 5 QB in the league.
-After 12 posts on the thread "Vikingstate" FINALLY says: "I guess I'll be the first positive comment on this"

https://scout.com/nfl/vikings/Board/102855/Contents/Minnesota-Vikings-QB-Kirk-Cousins-reportedly-agree-to-deal-116183399There should be some level of outrage from any true NFL Fan. Mediocre players who have proved nothing shouldn't be getting these pay me for nothing contracts, when a guy like LB, who is the best RB in the game and one of the best in the league what not allowed to participate in FA!

Also, LB has been called every name in the book for simply wanting to be paid his worth or allowed to test the open market to get the contract he desires just like Kirk Cousins did! I don't hear one person calling Cousins greedy or selfish for getting all he can at the peak of his value! But LeVeon, No... He's this and that and the other for wanting the contract that he actually DESERVES!!!! THAT IS THE OUTRAGE>>

williar
03-14-2018, 09:53 AM
And Sam Bradford, 20 million for one year! Shoot, my mother is mad at that and she is not even an NFL Fan! Hardly ever hear any criticism about this guy stealing money! If I'm LB looking at this joker getting that contract after basically doing nothing since when. Heck yeah, I am seething right now!

phillyesq
03-14-2018, 10:25 AM
There should be some level of outrage from any true NFL Fan. Mediocre players who have proved nothing shouldn't be getting these pay me for nothing contracts, when a guy like LB, who is the best RB in the game and one of the best in the league what not allowed to participate in FA!

Also, LB has been called every name in the book for simply wanting to be paid his worth or allowed to test the open market to get the contract he desires just like Kirk Cousins did! I don't hear one person calling Cousins greedy or selfish for getting all he can at the peak of his value! But LeVeon, No... He's this and that and the other for wanting the contract that he actually DESERVES!!!! THAT IS THE OUTRAGE>>

If Bell wants to test the market next year, more power to him. However, under the terms of the CBA, he doesn't get that right yet. I don't care what he thinks he is worth on the open market because, under the rules, he's not entitled to test the market. If he wants to risk another year on a one year deal, get another 400 touches worth of wear and tear, and then test the market, that's his prerogative.

williar
03-14-2018, 11:07 AM
If Bell wants to test the market next year, more power to him. However, under the terms of the CBA, he doesn't get that right yet. I don't care what he thinks he is worth on the open market because, under the rules, he's not entitled to test the market. If he wants to risk another year on a one year deal, get another 400 touches worth of wear and tear, and then test the market, that's his prerogative. Well, what in the world would the FO want to keep him around for @ 14 mil? According to this board he's selfish, arrogant, slow, a lockerroom destroyer, smokes weed, stupid, not a team player, only about the money, and very much replaceable by much cheaper RBS. So, what gives, smart guy?

phillyesq
03-14-2018, 11:57 AM
Well, what in the world would the FO want to keep him around for @ 14 mil? According to this board he's selfish, arrogant, slow, a lockerroom destroyer, smokes weed, stupid, not a team player, only about the money, and very much replaceable by much cheaper RBS. So, what gives, smart guy?

Well, actually, he's been suspended for smoking weed. That's a fact. And, according to his snapchat, he hangs out with people smoking weed. For somebody looking for a contract, it's incredibly stupid.

The FO offered him a contract around $14 million. Bell wants to act is if its not a fair offer, but he fails to appreciate that, under the CBA, he has no real leverage other than to wait a year. He can bet on himself like Cousins. Maybe it pays off. I think its foolish and, yes, greedy, particularly given that this is a guy who has started and completed exactly 1 season in his NFL career. The Steelers stood behind him despite his multiple suspensions and his injuries.

Captain Lemming
03-14-2018, 11:32 PM
There should be some level of outrage from any true NFL Fan. Mediocre players who have proved nothing shouldn't be getting these pay me for nothing contracts, when a guy like LB, who is the best RB in the game and one of the best in the league what not allowed to participate in FA!

Comparing him to Bell not being allowed to test the market? Are you kidding?
Cousins went through THE EXACT SAME PROCESS being hit with the tag the last two years when he "could not test the market".

Cousins was called "greedy" frequently when he snubbed long term deals with the Skins, just like Bell.

Just Google it:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Is+Kirk+Cousins+greedy%3F

feltdizz
03-15-2018, 01:23 AM
Comparing him to Bell not being allowed to test the market? Are you kidding?
Cousins went through THE EXACT SAME PROCESS being hit with the tag the last two years when he "could not test the market".

Cousins was called "greedy" frequently when he snubbed long term deals with the Skins, just like Bell.

Just Google it:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Is+Kirk+Cousins+greedy%3F

He was also called smart and savvy for betting on himself.

whats funny is all the links you googled ask the question and the short answer in the links all suggested he wasn’t being greedy.

Northern_Blitz
03-15-2018, 04:22 AM

whats funny is all the links you googled ask the question and the short answer in the links all suggested he wasn’t being greedy.

And I think that rational people should see that Bell isn't being greedy either (although he is asking for more relative to the RB market than Cousins was). Or at least, that being greedy is a sensible thing to do for anyone in contract negotiations. I don't think there are many here who would take what they felt was a pay cut so that their employer could hire someone else.

I also think that rational people recognize that Bell isn't hard done by in this situation. He was offered a long term deal that overpaid him by a significant margin relative to the market. I think that it's possible that he would get more as a UFA next year, but every year he waits (and stays healthy) increases his touches by over 400 because we'll run the wheels off him. Based on his past history, it also increases the chances that he'll be looking for that long term deal while coming off a season ending injury (this season was only the 2nd he finished uninjured).

In short, I don't think that there is anything morally wrong with what Bell is doing. I just don't think it's a good long term decision for the Steelers to sign him to the long term deal he wants. I also think he's taking a pretty big risk, but there's a huge payoff if he can stay healthy one more season.

But, he's earned more than enough money to be able to take that risk. Let's say that he blew most of the $16M he earned from his first two contract (but still has enough to live on for this year). Then, let's say he's better with money now and decides to dump most of his after tax earnings (let's say $6M) into a simple low cost portfolio like those recommended by JL Collins
http://jlcollinsnh.com/stock-series/. He's going to need the money for a long time, so let's assume a 3.5% withdrawal rate (shouldn't run out of money for at least 60 years
https://earlyretirementnow.com/2016/12/07/the-ultimate-guide-to-safe-withdrawal-rates-part-1-intro/).

With those assumptions, he can spend over $200k/year and not run out of money. That's a ton of money for someone with no mortgage / debt. So, it kind of makes sense to take a huge risk because he's already won even if he doesn't play another down in the league after this year. I've said it before, but with this kind of security and his injury history I wonder if his retirement comments are legit.

steeler_george
03-15-2018, 06:32 AM
And I think that rational people should see that Bell isn't being greedy either (although he is asking for more relative to the RB market than Cousins was). Or at least, that being greedy is a sensible thing to do for anyone in contract negotiations. I don't think there are many here who would take what they felt was a pay cut so that their employer could hire someone else.

I also think that rational people recognize that Bell isn't hard done by in this situation. He was offered a long term deal that overpaid him by a significant margin relative to the market. I think that it's possible that he would get more as a UFA next year, but every year he waits (and stays healthy) increases his touches by over 400 because we'll run the wheels off him. Based on his past history, it also increases the chances that he'll be looking for that long term deal while coming off a season ending injury (this season was only the 2nd he finished uninjured).

In short, I don't think that there is anything morally wrong with what Bell is doing. I just don't think it's a good long term decision for the Steelers to sign him to the long term deal he wants. I also think he's taking a pretty big risk, but there's a huge payoff if he can stay healthy one more season.

But, he's earned more than enough money to be able to take that risk. Let's say that he blew most of the $16M he earned from his first two contract (but still has enough to live on for this year). Then, let's say he's better with money now and decides to dump most of his after tax earnings (let's say $6M) into a simple low cost portfolio like those recommended by JL Collins
http://jlcollinsnh.com/stock-series/. He's going to need the money for a long time, so let's assume a 3.5% withdrawal rate (shouldn't run out of money for at least 60 years
https://earlyretirementnow.com/2016/12/07/the-ultimate-guide-to-safe-withdrawal-rates-part-1-intro/).

With those assumptions, he can spend over $200k/year and not run out of money. That's a ton of money for someone with no mortgage / debt. So, it kind of makes sense to take a huge risk because he's already won even if he doesn't play another down in the league after this year. I've said it before, but with this kind of security and his injury history I wonder if his retirement comments are legit.

I agree i think it is a risk, but for every player that is guaranteed. Just look at Shazier, we have to eat 8 million next year. I think I am one of the few who wants to sign him long term 3-4 years. In 2 years time when Elliot and Gurley, hit FA, the market the price for running backs is going to boom, and Bell's contract is going to be normal, just like how the WRs are getting paid now.

I think our FO is still in after shock with Shazier, his lost set back our defense 2 years. Just imagine if Shazier was healthy, ILB would not even be discussed in FA nor as a 1st round option. Best bet now for rebuilding our defense is to just out score and control the clock, and that is where having a dynamic player like Bell important to the team.

By the way, the paragraph I highlighted in gold, totaly blew me away... your Mr. Greenspan of this board!

Captain Lemming
03-15-2018, 11:06 AM

Why are the articles there? Every one of them was based of a then common perception that he was greedy. Redskin "fans" called him greedy, and true some of these links countered that POV.
No different than what Bell gets on this forum. Again the EXACT same thing.

Is it "smart"?
If Bell stays healthy sure. He will have made what, 28 mil over two seasons, not bad.
Will he ever get the deal he thinks he deserves? Will he score big for waiting like Cousins?

Doubt it, he will be a runningback on the downside.

Frankly, I think it is a wash. "If" he is healthy my guess is he will earn in his career about the same as if he was unrestricted last season with another team.
If he gets hurt bad or his game suddenly tanks he makes less but already will have ridiculous coin.

I dont hate him for wanting to maximize his coin.

Captain Lemming
03-15-2018, 11:11 AM
BTW Dizz let me be clear about my objections to signing Bell.

It has NOTHING TO DO with greed. It has nothing to do with weed. It has nothing to do with disliking him or his game. I am perfectly fine with him taking as much money as he can get (its Rooney's money not mine).
It is all about the cap. No cap and you and I would share the EXACT same POV. Sign all the best players on your team no matter the cost.
That is how the Yankee empire was built, just outspend everybody.

But we have a cap.

With the finite funds needed to build your team, you have to prioritize how you spend that money. What specific positions contribute the most value to championships in today's NFL?
THAT is why QBs get paid (average QBs get overpaid) because the connection between QB play and championships is clear.

Teams that allocate excessive funds to "skill" positions, do not win championships in todays NFL.

Dizz you say runningbacks are better than ever. I agree. Thing is Dizz, the position is extremely deep.
Look at the SB champs. They took two cheap castoffs and had a better run game than WE had and won it all.

Never mind "other" teams. WE had another teams aging backup start most of the season and had a more effective run game than this season and we did not have our starting center that year!

The value is just not there in view of the cap and the fact that "good enough" is plentiful.

Shore up other positions of need would be a better spend.

NorthCoast
03-15-2018, 08:59 PM
BTW Dizz let me be clear about my objections to signing Bell.

It has NOTHING TO DO with greed. It has nothing to do with weed. It has nothing to do with disliking him or his game. I am perfectly fine with him taking as much money as he can get (its Rooney's money not mine).
It is all about the cap. No cap and you and I would share the EXACT same POV. Sign all the best players on your team no matter the cost.
That is how the Yankee empire was built, just outspend everybody.

But we have a cap.

With the finite funds needed to build your team, you have to prioritize how you spend that money. What specific positions contribute the most value to championships in today's NFL?
THAT is why QBs get paid (average QBs get overpaid) because the connection between QB play and championships is clear.

Teams that allocate excessive funds to "skill" positions, do not win championships in todays NFL.

Dizz you say runningbacks are better than ever. I agree. Thing is Dizz, the position is extremely deep.
Look at the SB champs. They took two cheap castoffs and had a better run game than WE had and won it all.

Never mind "other" teams. WE had another teams aging backup start most of the season and had a more effective run game than this season and we did not have our starting center that year!

The value is just not there in view of the cap and the fact that "good enough" is plentiful.

Shore up other positions of need would be a better spend.I actually disagree with the idea that RBs are better than ever. I suggest defenses are now built to stop the passing game, lighter more fleet LBs along with nickel and dime defenses. This makes it much easier to exploit with a decent (not top) RB.