PDA

View Full Version : Landry Jones?

pittpete
03-12-2018, 11:19 PM
Can we afford to cut him and save a 1.9 million cap hit?
Could we get by with Dobbs as the primary backup in the limited amount of work we've seen?
Discuss

P.S. Feltdizz if you promise not to say anything racial i will un-ignore you......;)

Steel Maniac
03-12-2018, 11:34 PM
It all depends on where Dobbs is at in his development.

Shawn
03-13-2018, 05:39 AM
Jones makes improvements every year. He is a solid back up at this point. He gets no love here but I haven't seen anything from Dobbs yet that tells me he can take over #2.

feltdizz
03-13-2018, 07:27 AM
While Dobbs is the future I don’t think the Steelers are ready to make that move.

Buzz
03-13-2018, 09:55 AM
If the Steelers take Josh Allen or Lamar Jackson, as some of the recent mocks have it, then they may cut Landry loose. Otherwise, I think he's a pretty safe bet to be on the roster for the 2018 season.

Shawn
03-13-2018, 11:03 AM
While Dobbs is the future I don’t think the Steelers are ready to make that move. A future starter?

Slapstick
03-13-2018, 11:16 AM
This is Landry's contract year...I could see the Steelers making a final decision on his future with the team after seeing how Dobbs develops this year...he may simply be allowed to pursue free agency this year...

phillyesq
03-13-2018, 11:32 AM
Cutting Jones saves $1.9 million, with a $300k dead money hit on the cap. Jones is far from perfect, but I don't think you will find a replacement that is better for $1.6 million.

Shawn
03-13-2018, 11:46 AM
This is Landry's contract year...I could see the Steelers making a final decision on his future with the team after seeing how Dobbs develops this year...he may simply be allowed to pursue free agency this year... Don't get me wrong, I hope Dobbs shows future starter skills. But, right now Jones is the better QB. I'm not sure I agree with your assumption. It depends on what Ben is saying. If Ben is talking 1-2 more years and we don't draft a QB...I think Jones and Dobbs are safe.

Iron City Inc.
03-13-2018, 02:17 PM
Dobbs showed some signs of knowing the O at camp n got the ball out quick repeatedly but didn't show as well in the preseason games. So to me he remains more unknown then known even a year after the draft. Should he have a great camp n great preseason he could close the gap between himself n Jones but that is what camp n preseason is for. For now we need to keep both.

pittpete
03-13-2018, 02:21 PM
Cutting Jones saves $1.9 million, with a $300k dead money hit on the cap. Jones is far from perfect, but I don't think you will find a replacement that is better for $1.6 million.

Yes, but if Ben went down does anyone truly believe we could be competitive with Landry at QB?
I think with a solid defense we could but i have my doubts.
I would take the chance and save the $$$$$

Slapstick
03-13-2018, 03:20 PM
Don't get me wrong, I hope Dobbs shows future starter skills. But, right now Jones is the better QB. I'm not sure I agree with your assumption. It depends on what Ben is saying. If Ben is talking 1-2 more years and we don't draft a QB...I think Jones and Dobbs are safe.

If Ben leaves, there is no doubt that we will draft a QB...

phillyesq
03-13-2018, 03:35 PM
Yes, but if Ben went down does anyone truly believe we could be competitive with Landry at QB?
I think with a solid defense we could but i have my doubts.
I would take the chance and save the $$$$$

I think we would be as competitive with Landry as we would be with any QB making $1.6 million dollars. Here is the list:

https://overthecap.com/position/quarterback/2017

Don't turn me into a Landry defender - I'm not a huge fan by any stretch. I just don't think we can do much better without spending a lot more.

steeler_george
03-13-2018, 03:37 PM
Trade him to the Jets

for a number #4 and Peterson

or

add in Bryant, for a number #3, Peterson, and slice

RuthlessBurgher
03-13-2018, 03:44 PM
Who is Peterson on the Jets?

Steel Maniac
03-13-2018, 03:46 PM
If Ben leaves, there is no doubt that we will draft a QB...

I know we need a ILB; but if Mason Rudolph were on the board when we pick at 28, does Colbert take him?

RuthlessBurgher
03-13-2018, 03:51 PM
I know we need a ILB; but if Mason Rudolph were on the board when we pick at 28, does Colbert take him?

I'd take Leighton Vander Esch (who plays at a position of more immediate need to us and has a 1st round grade) over Mason Rudolph (who plays at a position of less immediate need to us and has a 2nd round grade) all day long.

pittpete
03-13-2018, 03:52 PM
I'd take Leighton Vander Esch

Kid's got some motor......

Oviedo
03-13-2018, 03:58 PM
I'd take Leighton Vander Esch (who plays at a position of more immediate need to us and has a 1st round grade) over Mason Rudolph (who plays at a position of less immediate need to us and has a 2nd round grade) all day long.

Yep...really liking some LVE

Steel Maniac
03-13-2018, 04:00 PM

Sounds logical but logic and taking a QB have a history of not exactly adding up. I like the body of work of Rudolph over a lot of these guys.

Steel Maniac
03-13-2018, 04:01 PM

Just remember, the Bengals are just a few spots ahead of us too.

steeler_george
03-13-2018, 04:07 PM
Who is Peterson on the Jets?

Ok got mixed up, I was thinking of Buffalo. The kid from Pitt who they drafted last year.

RuthlessBurgher
03-13-2018, 04:43 PM
Ok got mixed up, I was thinking of Buffalo. The kid from Pitt who they drafted last year.

Gotcha...Nathan Peterman.

feltdizz
03-13-2018, 05:34 PM

The kid who threw 5 INT’s in one half of a game when they benched Tyrod Taylor?

I was a huge huge fan when he was at PITT and maybe he pans out when he isn’t thrown in the fire but ... that’s essentially what back ups have to be ready for.

NorthCoast
03-13-2018, 07:04 PM
LJ's INT rate is a bit higher than I would like to see, but for a backup he isn't close to approaching someone like Kizer, so maybe backup capable.

Chadman
03-14-2018, 12:34 AM
Is Landry THAT much worse than Batch ever was? Don’t make the case that Landry Jones is the future starter, but as a fill-in, low cost back-up, geez- who are the better ones out there that we are going to get?

I’m not sure Dobbs is the future starter either. I’d say this time next year the case will have to be made on who is the better #2 QB. While the team drafts Ben’s successor whenever that time is right.

The Man of Steel
03-14-2018, 04:36 AM
Landry Jones is on pace to become the next Cliff Stoudt.