PDA

View Full Version : Here's to "Big Play" Willie

Buzz
03-12-2018, 02:50 PM
He was a good member of our team. :Clap:Clap:Clap:Clap:Clap:Clap:tt2:tt2:tt2:tt2

Steelers will be a little less "Gay" moving forward. :sad: But it's time.

Steel Maniac
03-12-2018, 03:03 PM
Saving 1.75 million

feltdizz
03-12-2018, 03:37 PM
tips cap*

thanks for the memories Mr. Gay

Eddie Spaghetti
03-12-2018, 03:39 PM
love that dude

that knee walk he did to peezy after the return TD made me pee my damn pants

SidSmythe
03-12-2018, 03:46 PM
Willie Gay was solid and durable.
While not possessing world class athleticism he was smart and made plays.
Here's to Willie Gay riding off into the sunset healthy and well off.

steelerkeylargo
03-12-2018, 04:06 PM
Here here. Would love to see him as a coaching intern. Relied on smarts over athleticism.

Disco1981
03-12-2018, 05:01 PM
I must be in the minority.I thought he was terrible.Always seemed like he was trailing the receiver by 10 yards.Especially against Brady, seemed liked he found out where Gay was, and went to that receiver...jmo

Slapstick
03-12-2018, 05:38 PM
5 INTs returned for TDs...not bad for a 3rd day pick...

Chadman
03-12-2018, 05:48 PM
Made a very solid career for himself. Never was a team distraction. Took part in history. I compare him somewhat to Deshea Townsend in some ways, but without the same kind of athletic ability. If they can keep him in Pittsburgh somehow, I’d do it. Coaching, mentoring etc.

Moonie
03-12-2018, 06:57 PM
Quality Steelers over the years.

NorthCoast
03-12-2018, 07:05 PM
Willie Gay's career reminds us that numbers in a combine are only a small part of predicting a great career in the NFL. The intangibles are much harder to measure and they can make all the difference in the world.

I applaud William Gay for his dedication to his game, his team, and his city.

squidkid
03-12-2018, 07:08 PM
a good, solid player and team mate.
lots of other problems on this team that are costing more than his 1.75 tho

Iron City Inc.
03-12-2018, 08:25 PM
A quick 22 story. A few years ago Steelers couldn't do Friday night lights at high school. On that night as you know it's about 30 minutes of autographs n a bunch of up close photo ops. So that year it was just done at St Vincents. 22 decides he's joining us n comes into the bleachers to hang with the crowd. He gets a boat load of kids all coming over signs every football,hat,program you name it. Had to sign a hundred items. Took the time to take pictures with most of us myself included. Just seemed to enjoy the crowd. I may be wrong but I do not recall anyone else going into the bleacher section that day. Made a lot of folks day doing that. Wish him the best going forward.

pittpete
03-12-2018, 08:57 PM
Solid player when he was younger, but he stayed around 1 year too long.

NorthCoast
03-12-2018, 09:17 PM
Solid player when he was younger, but he stayed around 1 year too long.Perhaps.... but we don't know the exact circumstances last season. Did the team ask him to return to help with transitioning the young defensive backfield?

RuthlessBurgher
03-13-2018, 02:36 PM
William Gay passes Steelers torch to 'young guys who can play'

6:09 PM ET

Jeremy Fowler
ESPN Staff Writer

PITTSBURGH -- William Gay remembers veteran Deshea Townsend teaching him the Steeler way after Pittsburgh drafted him in 2007. Last year, Gay found himself imparting wisdom to Cameron Sutton, Artie Burns and other young corners the same way.

Gay calls his release from the Steelers after 10 seasons "bittersweet," but also expected.

Releasing William Gay saves the Steelers $1.75 million against the salary cap. Mark Alberti/ Icon Sportswire

"I understand the business part of it. You’ve got young guys who can play," Gay said. "It's the nature of the wheel. It was a blessing to see that wheel come full circle."

The Steelers are retooling the secondary with a series of moves. Releasing Gay saves the Steelers $1.75 million against the salary cap, while safety Mike Mitchell's imminent release will save another $5 million, though Mitchell could return on a new deal.

And the Steelers might not be done.

Clearly the Steelers are relying on young players to help carry the defensive backfield, and that requires a few roster moves. Veteran Joe Haden will be back, and the team has interest in safety J.J. Wilcox returning.

But the team has five recent draft picks between the ages of 22 to 24 -- Burns, Sean Davis Mike Hilton, Sutton and Brian Allen. Those players must produce.

Expect at least one safety added in the draft, as well.

Gay believes that group will get it done.

"Those guys are ready to learn, they are smart, above what their age says," Gay said. "Now it's just time to put it together and make the best of these years while they can."

http://www.espn.com/blog/pittsburgh-steelers/post/_/id/27414/william-gay-passes-steelers-torch-to-young-guys-who-can-play