PDA

View Full Version : OT: Browns trade for Tryod Taylor, Jarvis Landry and Damarius Randall

feltdizz
03-09-2018, 08:41 PM
for draft picks and they gave up DeShaun Kizer

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/sports/wp/2018/03/09/the-browns-yes-the-browns-are-a-team-to-watch-after-trading-for-jarvis-landry/?utm_term=.2a85c6502bdb

Disco1981
03-09-2018, 08:54 PM
Browns will leapfrog Bungholes quickly...Maybe even Ratbirds!

SteelBucks
03-09-2018, 08:56 PM
So they still don’t have a decent QB. It’ll be interesting if the take Barkley #1 or dip into an underwhelming QB pool.

feltdizz
03-09-2018, 10:29 PM
So they still don’t have a decent QB. It’ll be interesting if the take Barkley #1 or dip into an underwhelming QB pool.

These fools need to pull the trigger on a QB with one of these 2 picks. Pick a guy and roll with him for a few years.

Steel Maniac
03-09-2018, 10:40 PM
Very obvious there taking Barkley with the first overall pick.

They obviously are not stuck on any particular qb so they will roll with who’s left at # 4.

squidkid
03-10-2018, 07:51 AM
man, that team was awesome last year. i cant imagine how great they will be after acquiring those players and all their draft picks

The Man of Steel
03-10-2018, 11:58 AM
Same incompetent head coach so expect the same outcomes regardless of the talent acquisition.

Steel Maniac
03-10-2018, 01:07 PM
Same incompetent head coach so expect the same outcomes regardless of the talent acquisition.

I don't think Hue is that bad. I watched him coach the Raiders that one year and he was pretty decent. You look at them

Taylor at QB
Barkley at RB
The second year TE (who's going to be better)
Josh Gordon at WR x
Corey Coleman at WR z
Jarvis Landry in the slot

That looks like a team that can win at least 4 games provided we see the same defense we saw from them last year and they may improve in defense this year because of youth maturation.

I think they win 4 games minimum

buccoray61
03-10-2018, 02:15 PM
They just traded Danny Shelton and their 5th round pick to the Pats for the Pats 2019 3rd roundest

Steelerphile
03-10-2018, 02:20 PM
It is surprising to see the same people defend Hue Jackson, who has a .188 winning percentage with his best season of 8-8 with the Raiders, while slamming Mike Tomlin and calling for his dismissal after a 13-3 season, a cumulative .659 winning percentage and the one the best records of a head coach in NFL history for an 11 years. Tomlin's worst season is 8-8.

I have my doubts about Jackson at this point. He seemed like he was a good hire, but the Cleveland Browns have been accumulating high draft choices for years. There is no way they shouldn't have had enough talent to win 4 games or so last season, but they went 0-16. I actually understand why Dizz was bullish on them last year because it seemed that they drafted well. It isn't the lack of talent, it is the culture that keeps the Browns historically on the bottom.

I think they gave up on Kizer too soon because it seems to me he has good tools and has better long range potential than Tyrod. They didn't game plan for him appropriately but at times he looked good, especially against the Steelers. On paper the Browns have enough to contend, but we'll see if they create the winning culture, but I have some doubts that Jackson can lead them there. If there isn't clear evidence of improvement next year, I would conclude he can't.

Steel Maniac
03-10-2018, 04:20 PM
It is surprising to see the same people defend Hue Jackson, who has a .188 winning percentage with his best season of 8-8 with the Raiders, while slamming Mike Tomlin and calling for his dismissal after a 13-3 season, a cumulative .659 winning percentage and the one the best records of a head coach in NFL history for an 11 years. Tomlin's worst season is 8-8.

I have my doubts about Jackson at this point. He seemed like he was a good hire, but the Cleveland Browns have been accumulating high draft choices for years. There is no way they shouldn't have had enough talent to win 4 games or so last season, but they went 0-16. I actually understand why Dizz was bullish on them last year because it seemed that they drafted well. It isn't the lack of talent, it is the culture that keeps the Browns historically on the bottom.

I think they gave up on Kizer too soon because it seems to me he has good tools and has better long range potential than Tyrod. They didn't game plan for him appropriately but at times he looked good, especially against the Steelers. On paper the Browns have enough to contend, but we'll see if they create the winning culture, but I have some doubts that Jackson can lead them there. If there isn't clear evidence of improvement next year, I would conclude he can't.

Please...notice I said "decent" about Hue. And then I said "4 wins".

Steel Maniac
03-10-2018, 04:22 PM

We are talking about " The Browns".

Then you compare that to the standards " The Steeler" organization has? Two different criteria's. And I said, " decent" and then I said " 4 wins".

squidkid
03-10-2018, 06:29 PM

hue would do as good or better than tomlin if he was in pittsburgh and tomlin would do as good or worse where hue was.............

Steelerphile
03-10-2018, 07:15 PM
hue would do as good or better than tomlin if he was in pittsburgh and tomlin would do as good or worse where hue was.............
Kid I think you are an idiot so I don't take much of what you say seriously. Hue Jackson is nowhere near the coach Tomlin is. If Tomlin were in Cleveland the situation would have turned around a lot and Jackson would not have the success Tomlin has had in Pittsburgh. The head coach is important and regardless of your hatred for Tomlin, he is a top caliber coach and has had lot to do with Pittsburgh's success.

steeler_george
03-10-2018, 08:00 PM
So true, with the noise of the "big name" in trades, I forgot that this team went winless! But I think that they are on the right path to improvement.

squidkid
03-10-2018, 08:44 PM
Kid I think you are an idiot so I don't take much of what you say seriously. Hue Jackson is nowhere near the coach Tomlin is. If Tomlin were in Cleveland the situation would have turned around a lot and Jackson would not have the success Tomlin has had in Pittsburgh. The head coach is important and regardless of your hatred for Tomlin, he is a top caliber coach and has had lot to do with Pittsburgh's success.

hey tardboy, tell me what makes tomnlin heads and shoulders above Hue?
dont give me record either because the hoody sucked in cleveland
what has tomlin done to account for the success in pittsburgh?

feltdizz
03-10-2018, 09:29 PM
hey tardboy, tell me what makes tomnlin heads and shoulders above Hue?
dont give me record either because the hoody sucked in cleveland
what has tomlin done to account for the success in pittsburgh?
Give it up.

You are basically asking people to ignore all the wins and point out what Tomlin has done as head coach.

How dumb can can you be?

The only thing that matters in the end is the coaches win loss record.

remove that and all you have is one opinions and we all know you are an idiot when it comes to critiquing Tomlin.

squidkid
03-10-2018, 09:33 PM
Give it up.

You are basically asking people to ignore all the wins and point out what Tomlin has done as head coach.

How dumb can can you be?

The only thing that matters in the end is the coaches win loss record.

remove that and all you have is one opinions and we all know you are an idiot when it comes to critiquing Tomlin.

well, all the tomlin knob gobblers(like yourself) say what a great coach he is.
please, enlighten us on your vast nfl coaching analysis and explain what tomlin does so much better then the rest
you say he would be successful wherever he goes............explain why
you say no other coach in the league couold come to pittsburgh and do as well as tomlin......explain why

feltdizz
03-10-2018, 10:15 PM
please, enlighten us on your vast nfl coaching analysis and explain what tomlin does so much better then the rest
you say no other coach in the league couold come to pittsburgh and do as well as tomlin......explain why

Knob gobblers? You must watch a lot of that stuff because you use that reference a lot. Nothing wrong with that.

Anyway. Who said no one else could come in and do as well as Tomlin. I always said unless you can provide a coach who is a available who can do what Tomlin is doing whats the point?

You chose a guy who is 1-31 and say he could do as well? Based on?

Tomlin wins, thats what he does the best and there is only one coach winning more than Tomlin.

RuthlessBurgher
03-10-2018, 11:22 PM
hey tardboy

You have been warned about using mental retardation as an insult once before. Consider this strike two. If it happens again, your ability to post here will be revoked without any further warning. Also, your homosexual innuendo from your subsequent post (e.g. "Knob Gobbler") will not be tolerated here either. Clean it up now, or the thin ice you are currently standing on will break, my friend.

pittpete
03-11-2018, 01:27 AM
I feel bad for Taylor.
He's going to a place where QB's go to die.:(

Steel Maniac
03-11-2018, 10:38 AM
Browns played us tough in that opening game last year. I expect the same from them this coming season when we first see them. Beating us would be all they need to start some momentum for them.

Slapstick
03-11-2018, 11:33 AM
The Browns were competitive in just about every game...they just couldn’t win...

NorthCoast
03-11-2018, 01:04 PM
They may make it very interesting this coming season. They needed a few more playmakers to win some of those games last season, and they got them.

Steelwolf
03-11-2018, 07:02 PM
No brainer they are grabbing Barkley, and possibly an OL with 4. They are set to make some noise no doubt

feltdizz
03-11-2018, 08:40 PM
No brainer they are grabbing Barkley, and possibly an OL with 4. They are set to make some noise no doubt
Until they get a QB who can get the ball downfield it won’t matter. teams will stack the box and dare Tyrod to go downfield and it’s something he rarely does.

Landry sounds great until you realize he averaged 8 yards a catch.

Starlifter
03-11-2018, 09:24 PM
one of the reasons many of us were so concerned with the steelers for most of last year was the close nature of their wins against what are considered substandard teams. squeaking out a win against the browns in week 1 was not the start we had hoped for. so the question that needs to be asked, were the steelers not the top tier team we thought? were the browns not quite the scrub team expected? perhaps a bit of both is the more reasonable answer. the point however is this. the browns are bad, and have been for a long time. but that doesn't mean with the right draft, the right trades and a few lucky breaks they can't be good relatively quickly. what they're doing right now, in my opinion, WILL improve that team. they have many close losses last year. Do I think they're going to the playoffs in 2018? nope. but would I be shocked with a 6 win season? maybe 8? nope.

they are going to be more competitive next year. I think they will be a tough game for most teams. let's see what happens next month to really get a feel for how august in Beria will unfold...

pittpete
03-11-2018, 09:26 PM

Theres no way in my opinion they don't draft a QB.
Tyrod is just a stop gap until one of these franchise type QBs are drafted.

Chadman
03-11-2018, 11:01 PM
I donít know why I feel the need to defend Tomlin over, of all coaches, Hue Jackson...but....just look at the success rate of players drafted by Tomlin & you get a pretty clear idea of the quality of his influence over a majority of his competitors.

I know a lot on here bag him for his draft choices but, Timmons, Woolley, Pouncey, DeCastro, Gilbert, Bell, Brown, Sanders, Bryant, Hayward, Tuitt, Shazier, Davis etc, etc, etc....its not like he has built terrible rosters over the time he has been here. Coupled with a record that never dipped below 8-8. Coupled with rarely drafting higher than #20.

If you can find another HC that continually puts together a roster of high quality that always drafts this low & rarely spends high on FAís...well, I guess you have an argument. All the Browns coaches have had the benefit of high draft picks & FA dollars to spend, and to what note? Outside of the Patriots, who do spend more in FA & have moved up & down draft boards like snakes & ladders, I canít think of a team in the last 10+ years with this level of consistency.

Starlifter
03-11-2018, 11:20 PM
I don’t know why I feel the need to defend Tomlin over, of all coaches, Hue Jackson...but....just look at the success rate of players drafted by Tomlin & you get a pretty clear idea of the quality of his influence over a majority of his competitors.

I know a lot on here bag him for his draft choices but, Timmons, Woolley, Pouncey, DeCastro, Gilbert, Bell, Brown, Sanders, Bryant, Hayward, Tuitt, Shazier, Davis etc, etc, etc....its not like he has built terrible rosters over the time he has been here. Coupled with a record that never dipped below 8-8. Coupled with rarely drafting higher than #20.

If you can find another HC that continually puts together a roster of high quality that always drafts this low & rarely spends high on FA’s...well, I guess you have an argument. All the Browns coaches have had the benefit of high draft picks & FA dollars to spend, and to what note? Outside of the Patriots, who do spend more in FA & have moved up & down draft boards like snakes & ladders, I can’t think of a team in the last 10+ years with this level of consistency.

I agree with what you're saying - but we can't overlook colbert's role in this. I have no doubt he and tomlin work closely together on the draft, but I think he has been the key to the consistency of our players. usually is right on the mark and his misses seem to be few (jarvis for example). and when you compare his misses to the gems he's found in the later rounds, it's pretty impressive.

I certainly have been critical with tomlin. not because i don't think he's a top tier HC. I do. My complaint is while he is a huge upgrade over most other coaches, i simply can't shake the feeling that with the rosters he has had (and give him and colbert credit for those) and while his W/L record and playoff appearance record is substantial - without more SB appearances and at least one more win with this core group, I will believe he underachieved.

Steelwolf
03-11-2018, 11:36 PM
Until they get a QB who can get the ball downfield it won’t matter. teams will stack the box and dare Tyrod to go downfield and it’s something he rarely does.

Landry sounds great until you realize he averaged 8 yards a catch.

I am not sold on any qbs this year. Not sure what foles is locked into but cousins is out there as well and tyrod is a mind boggling pick up if they are going qb yearly

Steel Maniac
03-12-2018, 12:13 AM
Taylor is a stop gap qb. No doubt in my mind the browns are taking their qb of the future in this draft.

Steel Maniac
03-12-2018, 12:19 AM
Taylor will be the starter for two years max and then jettisoned.

Northern_Blitz
03-12-2018, 02:22 AM

First, the no other coach thing is a strawman argument. I don't think anyone has said that. Instead, I think the argument is that Tomlin's probably the 2nd best coach in the league and certainly top 5. Coaching is a hard job, so it's pretty likely that bringing someone in would mean getting a worse HC. That and it's stupid to fire a HC after a 13-3 season. Especially because the biggest reason for the playoff loss is because our best defender got hurt. The problem with our recent playoff runs is basically that we don't have depth behind stars so when Bell, AB, or Shazier go down our starters in the playoffs are often guys that shouldn't be in the league (possible exception at WR). I don't think that's on the coach (and I don't think we should fire Colbert either).

To answer your question:
I think what Tomlin does better than most is win. He has been extremely successful in a job that routinely spits guys out quickly for failing to meet expectations.

I think he's been successful because he's a great motivator. I love the way he talks about the team and I only get to see him in press conferences. I think he's a guy that lots of players would love to play for him. I think the guys that are here usually give everything they have. There are issues with stuff coming out of the locker room, but it's not the '70s anymore and coaches can't control star players. Tomlin did a good job of winning despite the player distractions this year and I think that's all you can hope for in today's NFL.

I think that Tomlin's 2nd biggest strength is that he's not afraid to make the hard decisions. I think that the decisions he makes (like the onside kick) are reasonable decisions. I think that he makes these decisions based on what he thinks gives us the best chance to win, while many coaches make decisions based on what minimizes their chances of being fired.

While I wish that he made better tactical decisions (particularly with clock management), I think that this is something that many coaches struggle with. It doesn't make sense to me, but my play calling / football decision making under pressure is limited to playing Madden and not coaching in the NFL. I hope that the creation of the assistant HC position helps with this (but I think it's more of a symbolic thing to keep a well respected coach connected to the team as he transitions to retirement).

I get the argument that part of Tomlin's success is that he works for a stable organization that doesn't make stupid decisions re: coaching (like firing a guy after a 13-3 season). I don't doubt that has helped his development (and given him the confidence I listed above). But since he's already developed in that environment, I think it's reasonable to think he'd do well elsewhere.

Slapstick
03-12-2018, 06:01 AM
First, the no other coach thing is a strawman argument. I don't think anyone has said that. Instead, I think the argument is that Tomlin's probably the 2nd best coach in the league and certainly top 5. Coaching is a hard job, so it's pretty likely that bringing someone in would mean getting a worse HC. That and it's stupid to fire a HC after a 13-3 season. Especially because the biggest reason for the playoff loss is because our best defender got hurt. The problem with our recent playoff runs is basically that we don't have depth behind stars so when Bell, AB, or Shazier go down our starters in the playoffs are often guys that shouldn't be in the league (possible exception at WR). I don't think that's on the coach (and I don't think we should fire Colbert either).

To answer your question:
I think what Tomlin does better than most is win. He has been extremely successful in a job that routinely spits guys out quickly for failing to meet expectations.

I think he's been successful because he's a great motivator. I love the way he talks about the team and I only get to see him in press conferences. I think he's a guy that lots of players would love to play for him. I think the guys that are here usually give everything they have. There are issues with stuff coming out of the locker room, but it's not the '70s anymore and coaches can't control star players. Tomlin did a good job of winning despite the player distractions this year and I think that's all you can hope for in today's NFL.

I think that Tomlin's 2nd biggest strength is that he's not afraid to make the hard decisions. I think that the decisions he makes (like the onside kick) are reasonable decisions. I think that he makes these decisions based on what he thinks gives us the best chance to win, while many coaches make decisions based on what minimizes their chances of being fired.

While I wish that he made better tactical decisions (particularly with clock management), I think that this is something that many coaches struggle with. It doesn't make sense to me, but my play calling / football decision making under pressure is limited to playing Madden and not coaching in the NFL. I hope that the creation of the assistant HC position helps with this (but I think it's more of a symbolic thing to keep a well respected coach connected to the team as he transitions to retirement).

I get the argument that part of Tomlin's success is that he works for a stable organization that doesn't make stupid decisions re: coaching (like firing a guy after a 13-3 season). I don't doubt that has helped his development (and given him the confidence I listed above). But since he's already developed in that environment, I think it's reasonable to think he'd do well elsewhere.

That was a far better answer than such a stupid@$$ post deserved...

pittpete
03-12-2018, 09:55 AM
Taylor will be the starter for two years max and then jettisoned.
Only problem with that is he's a free agent after this year....

feltdizz
03-12-2018, 10:11 AM
That was a far better answer than such a stupid@$$ post deserved...

and what are the chances Squid reads all that?

feltdizz
03-12-2018, 10:14 AM
I am not sold on any qbs this year. Not sure what foles is locked into but cousins is out there as well and tyrod is a mind boggling pick up if they are going qb yearly

doesn't matter. I think the Browns have spent far too long drafting everything but a QB with the first pick. Get the guy you think will be the best of the bunch and roll with him. Even if it doesn't work out at least you pulled the trigger.

Why pay big money to older vets who may not pan out when you can get a rookie on a good deal who could end up being the QB for 10 years?

RuthlessBurgher
03-12-2018, 10:34 AM

I think they definitely take Barkley first, but then go QB at 4. I'm not sure if they like Darnold or Rosen or Allen or Mayfield best, but they'll be able to take one of them at 4. He can sit behind Tyrod for a year rather than being thrown into the fire before he is ready like Kizer was last year.

I think their current OL of Joe Thomas - Joel Bitonio - J.C. Tretter - Kevin Zeitler - Shon Coleman is solid. Sure, Joe Thomas hasn't fully committed to whether or not he will be returning again, but there is not an OT available who would be worth pick 4. The top o-lineman this year who is worthy of top 10 consideration is OG Quenton Nelson from Notre Dame, but Bitonio and Zeitler are both in the prime of their careers and guards don't go in the top 4 anyway.

If they don't go QB at 4, I think they go with a DB like Fitzpatrick or Ward there before they considered OL.

Steel Maniac
03-12-2018, 10:50 AM
Only problem with that is he's a free agent after this year....

Then the guy they will draft will start next year. But Taylor is nothing but a stop gap.

Northern_Blitz
03-12-2018, 11:51 AM
and what are the chances Squid reads all that?

Probably 0%.

I certainly write too long. Which probably means that only people that agree read it, or that someone who disagrees will find a sentence that they disagree with and ignore the rest. But, writing it helps me clarify what I think.

And, it's there if he wants it.

pittpete
03-12-2018, 12:11 PM
Then the guy they will draft will start next year. But Taylor is nothing but a stop gap.

Thats exactly what i said..

Jigawatts
03-12-2018, 01:01 PM
I didn't know they still had a football team. I thought after 0-16 you had to drop down to the Arena League and win a championship to move back up to the NFL.

papillon
03-12-2018, 01:13 PM
I didn't know they still had a football team. I thought after 0-16 you had to drop down to the Arena League and win a championship to move back up to the NFL.

:D:D:Bow

Pappy

K Train
03-12-2018, 02:17 PM
I think Hue is a pretty good coach....Browns doing it right by sticking with him and not playing HC roulette right away

Slapstick
03-12-2018, 03:24 PM
I think Hue is a pretty good coach....Browns doing it right by sticking with him and not playing HC roulette right away

Yeah, they have to stick with SOMETHING ​at some point...

Steel Maniac
03-12-2018, 03:27 PM

Ditto...............

RuthlessBurgher
03-13-2018, 01:39 PM
Browns tender Josh Gordon as exclusive rights free agent

Posted by Josh Alper on March 13, 2018, 11:57 AM EDT

Wide receiver Josh Gordon made his return to the Browns lineup last season and the team did what they needed to do to have him there in 2018 as well.

According to multiple reports, the Browns have done the expected and tendered Gordon as an exclusive rights free agent. Gordon is set to make $790,000 under the tender and won’t be able to negotiate with other teams now that it is in place.

Gordon caught 18 passes for 335 yards and a touchdown in five games for the Browns after being reinstated from his suspension last year. Those were the first games that Gordon played since the 2014 season and the extended ban from the league kept him from accruing the seasons needed to avoid exclusive rights free agency.

The Browns are set to add Jarvis Landry at receiver when trades can become official on Wednesday. They’ll hope that the two wideouts join tight end David Njoku and quarterback Tyrod Taylor in bringing better results than they had while going 1-31 the last two years.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/03/13/browns-tender-josh-gordon-as-exclusive-rights-free-agent/