PDA

View Full Version : AB Restructures

Mick'sTeam
03-07-2018, 05:00 PM
Clearing over $9M in cap space. Good move!

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/antonio-brown-restructures-his-contract-helps-steelers-create-cap-space/

Buzz
03-07-2018, 06:01 PM
who's next?

Steel Maniac
03-07-2018, 06:11 PM
Ben........

pittpete
03-07-2018, 06:50 PM
Ben gets an extension, not a restructure..
I read that Cam could be next

Slapstick
03-07-2018, 06:52 PM
Ben has a sizable roster bonus due..., IIRC...

steeler_george
03-07-2018, 07:38 PM
Clearing over $9M in cap space. Good move!

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/antonio-brown-restructures-his-contract-helps-steelers-create-cap-space/

hmmm, is that 9 mill for a FA on Monday? Who can it be Williams? Davis? Poe? Reid? Vascontomy ( how ever you spell it!!!)... Hyde? Crowell? Bring on Monday!!!

Steel Maniac
03-07-2018, 07:49 PM
hmmm, is that 9 mill for a FA on Monday? Who can it be Williams? Davis? Poe? Reid? Vascontomy ( how ever you spell it!!!)... Hyde? Crowell? Bring on Monday!!!

Yeah!!!!!:)

Disco1981
03-07-2018, 08:20 PM

Anybidy but Bell...I hope!

pittpete
03-07-2018, 08:43 PM
Honestly i don't think we need to pay a back like Hyde.
If we draft a RB in the 2nd, hopefully Connor comes back strong and we can sign a guy like Dion Lewis.
I actually don't mind the two back system.
Doesn't let a RB become complacent and keeps a nice competition going.

We would then have the $$$$ to sign a stud safety who can cover....

Buzz
03-07-2018, 09:06 PM
Ben gets an extension, not a restructure..
I read that Cam could be nextI read that AV could be next.

If Ben gets an extension, hope it's very cap-friendly. So we can sign some defensive talent.

squidkid
03-07-2018, 09:25 PM

the scrubs dont usually get signed the first day

Oviedo
03-07-2018, 11:43 PM
Don't they have to do something with Haden to make his cap hit more friendly?

pittpete
03-07-2018, 11:59 PM
They don't have to...He has 2 years left on his contract.
If he goes downhill this year they can cut him with a minimal dead $$$ cap hit in 2019(under 2M)
If they restructure then they probably wouldn't be able to do that.

Rara
03-08-2018, 06:55 AM
AB restructured so the Steelers can pay Bell's tag, if I read correctly.

RuthlessBurgher
03-08-2018, 11:37 AM
Vascontomy ( how ever you spell it!!!)

I don't know how to spell it either, since I cannot even begin to think of an NFL player with a last name even close to that. The only name it brings to mind to me is good ol' Harry Nutczak, since it sounds like the surgical procedure performed on that particular part of the male anatomy. ;)

Slapstick
03-08-2018, 11:49 AM
Haden's contract IS cap friendly...

As of right now, Haden is 12th in CB salary in 2018...the average annual value of his contract is, like, 17th in the NFL...

That does not include impending UFAs like Trumaine Johnson, Malcolm Butler (and others) who will likely push him further down the list...

feltdizz
03-08-2018, 11:51 AM
Haden's contract IS cap friendly...

As of right now, Haden is 12th in CB salary in 2018...the average annual value of his contract is, like, 17th in the NFL...

That does not include impending UFAs like Trumaine Johnson, Malcolm Butler (and others) who will likely push him further down the list...

is there anyway they can convert some of it to save cap room?

if so, why not?

Slapstick
03-08-2018, 12:13 PM

if so, why not?

I'm sure they could...but, like Le'Veon Bell, Haden has missed games due to injury...if the Steelers convert Haden's salary, they will be on the hook for that in the future for cap purposes...

If you're going to restructure, you do it with guys like AB who play in 94% of games , or who you think will be with the team over the long term (like Tuitt)...

feltdizz
03-08-2018, 12:49 PM
I'm sure they could...but, like Le'Veon Bell, Haden has missed games due to injury...if the Steelers convert Haden's salary, they will be on the hook for that in the future for cap purposes...

If you're going to restructure, you do it with guys like AB who play in 94% of games , or who you think will be with the team over the long term (like Tuitt)...

but Haden is only here for 2 more years. I would take that chance if it clears up room and we plan on keeping him which I think we will.

do it with anyone who can clear up money to win RIGHT NOW

Northern_Blitz
03-08-2018, 01:16 PM

if so, why not?

They could. But, it makes more sense to do with Brown who will likely play for a longer period of time. Every time we restructure, it kicks the cap hit down the road. Not bad if they player plays their entire contract, bad if they get cut and we've got a bunch of dead money.

My understanding is that restructures make sense for contracts with lots of time remaining because it reduces extra cost to the cap per year going forward. I think that Haden only has this year and next year. So, to be a good candidate for restructure I think we'd want to extend him too. This would add more risk of dead money if we cut him before his (then extended) contract ends.

Ultimately, I think that you want to extend good young players who have long contracts that you think you won't have to cut.

I guess the counter argument might be that we should plan to tank after Ben retires. Then, try to pile all of the dead money up maybe 3-4 seasons from now and load up the roster today so that we have a better chance to win. But, I don't think that the Steelers have ever really operated like that.

feltdizz
03-08-2018, 01:33 PM
They could. But, it makes more sense to do with Brown who will likely play for a longer period of time. Every time we restructure, it kicks the cap hit down the road. Not bad if they player plays their entire contract, bad if they get cut and we've got a bunch of dead money.

My understanding is that restructures make sense for contracts with lots of time remaining because it reduces extra cost to the cap per year going forward. I think that Haden only has this year and next year. So, to be a good candidate for restructure I think we'd want to extend him too. This would add more risk of dead money if we cut him before his (then extended) contract ends.

Ultimately, I think that you want to extend good young players who have long contracts that you think you won't have to cut.

I guess the counter argument might be that we should plan to tank after Ben retires. Then, try to pile all of the dead money up maybe 3-4 seasons from now and load up the roster today so that we have a better chance to win. But, I don't think that the Steelers have ever really operated like that.

yeah, I would prefer we tank or just let it play out once Ben leaves.

Thanks for the detailed response

Northern_Blitz
03-08-2018, 04:23 PM
yeah, I would prefer we tank or just let it play out once Ben leaves.

Thanks for the detailed response

I'm also on board for sacrificing the medium term for the short term. I think what I wrote is (at least mostly) correct.

phillyesq
03-08-2018, 05:24 PM

if so, why not?

Hard to do for a guy that only has one year left after this year. With AB, that $9 million gets spread evently across the life of his deal. With Haden, if you convert his salary to a bonus, he has a huge dead money hit next year or an unsustainable cap number.

Nevermind - see the more detailed post from Northern_Blitz above. He nailed it.

squidkid
03-08-2018, 06:04 PM
but Haden is only here for 2 more years. I would take that chance if it clears up room and we plan on keeping him which I think we will.

do it with anyone who can clear up money to win RIGHT NOW

i think we can win the afcn with hadens contract the way it is.....

papillon
03-08-2018, 06:23 PM

Hyde and pull the tag, lets go!

Pappy

RuthlessBurgher
03-14-2018, 11:44 AM
Steelers rework Alejandro Villanueva's contract, save nearly $4 million

7:45 PM ET

Jeremy Fowler
ESPN Staff Writer

PITTSBURGH -- The Pittsburgh Steelers have restructured left tackle Alejandro Villanueva's contract to create close to $4 million in salary cap space for the new league year.

The Steelers will convert most of Villanueva's 2018 earnings, which includes a $3 million roster bonus, into signing bonuses. Villanueva signed a four-year, $24 million contract in July.

Since February, Pittsburgh has restructured four veteran contracts totaling more than $25 million in new cap space. That number will rise to more than $30 million with the imminent release of defensive backs Mike Mitchell and William Gay.

All this signals the Steelers are open for business starting this week, but that is only partially true. After all that work, the cap space isn't plentiful -- probably around $6 million to $7 million. The team gave restricted-free-agent tenders to kicker Chris Boswell ($2.9 million) and linebacker Anthony Chickillo ($1.9 million).

The Steelers are interested in signing an inside linebacker but usually don't spend much in free agency's first wave.

http://www.espn.com/blog/pittsburgh-steelers/post/_/id/27429/steelers-rework-alejandro-villanueva-contract-save-nearly-4m