PDA

View Full Version : LB Combie

steeler_george
03-04-2018, 04:09 PM
ok Sunday and hung over form last night, and bored, Who else is watching the LB drills. Anyone catch your eye or who are focusing on...

Evans

LVE (looks fluid on back pedel )

Baker ( I think that he is actually making noise as reported)

Griffin (Maylock actually said he adapted and useshis stub as a club to cause fumbles) He is actualy Impressing me, but I hope we stay clear.

buccoray61
03-04-2018, 04:54 PM
He ran the fastest time for a LB ever at the combine. Pretty impressive.

buccoray61
03-04-2018, 05:09 PM
He ran the fastest time for a LB ever at the combine. Pretty impressive.

I stand corrected, since 2003

Oviedo
03-04-2018, 05:25 PM
ok Sunday and hung over form last night, and bored, Who else is watching the LB drills. Anyone catch your eye or who are focusing on...

Evans

LVE (looks fluid on back pedel )

Baker ( I think that he is actually making noise as reported)

Griffin (Maylock actually said he adapted and useshis stub as a club to cause fumbles) He is actualy Impressing me, but I hope we stay clear.

I give Griffin credit. I don't know how he did what he did with the bench. As I mentioned in another thread I live about 2 miles from UCF and I attend athletic events and eat on campus quite a bit and have met Griffin. His left arm is actually smaller than mine and its been quite a while since I've done multiple reps of 225.

Also, as I still said I don't see him being anything other than a special teams ace/back up safety

Rara
03-04-2018, 07:08 PM
Vander Esch seems like he wants to be a Steeler, his interview was great and he did decent for his size at the combine. He put on 11 pounds since the end of the season. Moved well.

Buzz
03-04-2018, 07:32 PM
Griffin is amazing. Don't know that he would be a starter, but he would be an awesome inspirational boost and would likely shine on STs. Love this kid.

Steel Maniac
03-04-2018, 08:17 PM
Vander Esch seems like he wants to be a Steeler, his interview was great and he did decent for his size at the combine. He put on 11 pounds since the end of the season. Moved well.

Ssssssssssssss... letís not tip our hand. :rolleyes:

feltdizz
03-04-2018, 09:26 PM
I give Griffin credit. I don't know how he did what he did with the bench. As I mentioned in another thread I live about 2 miles from UCF and I attend athletic events and eat on campus quite a bit and have met Griffin. His left arm is actually smaller than mine and its been quite a while since I've done multiple reps of 225.

Also, as I still said I don't see him being anything other than a special teams ace/back up safety

every time I watched that team he made plays. He may not have the frame or a hand but he has IT. He’s one of those guys who is always around the ball. Even if it’s just special teams I bet you hear his name called the most next year.

buccoray61
03-04-2018, 09:26 PM

Very well could turn out to be a very good player, but like they said on NFL Network, it's concerning that he is only a one year starter.

winwithd
03-05-2018, 12:00 AM
Very well could turn out to be a very good player, but like they said on NFL Network, it's concerning that he is only a one year starter.

Wasn't TJ Watt just a one year starter as well? How do LVE s combine numbers compare to TJs?

winwithd
03-05-2018, 12:02 AM
With 4.38 speed, could Griffin play safety

pittpete
03-05-2018, 12:06 AM

https://247sports.com/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/Bolt/Pittsburgh-Steelers-are-looking-into-Boise-State-ILB-Leighton-Vander-Esch-115590428
Steelers are looking into Boise State ILB Leighton Vander Esch

pittpete
03-05-2018, 12:06 AM
https://247sports.com/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/Bolt/Leighton-Vander-Esch-It-would-mean-everything-to-play-for-the-Pittsburgh-Steelers-115839861
Vander Esch: 'It would mean everything' to play for the Steelers

Steel Maniac
03-05-2018, 08:54 AM
Leon Washington out of Wisconsin is also an interesting prospect.

Steel Maniac
03-05-2018, 08:58 AM
Boy , I’d love to know how Colbert has Evans & Esch ranked on his big board.

Oviedo
03-05-2018, 09:52 AM
With 4.38 speed, could Griffin play safety

Maybe, but keep in mind that he was originally a Safety at UCF and they moved him to LB. My understanding is that his pass coverage was lacking compared to other players

Oviedo
03-05-2018, 09:53 AM
Leon Washington out of Wisconsin is also an interesting prospect.

I would also think that being from Wisconsin the Steelers might have some insights from JT Watt

steeler_george
03-05-2018, 10:14 AM
Boy , I’d love to know how Colbert has Evans & Esch ranked on his big board.

I wonder how far back the next ranked ILB is and who is it? Baker? Jewel? Jefferson? Shion Dion Hamilton?

OT I want Payne! Could he alone, keep our ILB clean and faster? That is why I was asking who would be there in the 2nd. But let's keep the topic about ILB.

Steel Maniac
03-05-2018, 10:58 AM
Baker is another one that is intriguing.

RuthlessBurgher
03-05-2018, 12:04 PM
Leighton Vander Esch's combine numbers this weekend were very similar to those of T.J. Watt last year.

Neither guy stood out in the events that most combine viewers focus on (the 40 yard dash and the bench press, because those results are very easy for laymen to interpret...straight line speed and raw strength). While their numbers weren't eye popping in either event, they weren't poor either...they certainly meet the baseline values that you look for when attempting to draft a future starting linebacker.

TJW's 4.69 sec. in the 40 was 12th among all LB's in 2017.
LVE's 4.65 sec. in the 40 was tied for 14th among all LB's in 2018.

TJW's 21 reps of 225 were tied for 8th among all LB's in 2017,
LVE's 20 reps of 225 were tied for 11th among all LB's in 2018,

Both Watt and Vander Esch were top performers in the events that show lateral movement ability and change of direction skills (3 cone and shuttle runs) as well as the events that show athletic explosion (jumps). In these 5 events, T.J. Watt was in the top 2 for all of them, and Vander Esch was in the top 2 for 3 of them and in the top 5 for the other 2 of them.

TJW's 6.79 sec. in the 3 cone was 2nd among all LB's in 2017,
LVE's 6.88 sec. in the 3 cone was 5th among all LB's in 2018,

TJW's 4.13 sec. in the 20 yard shuttle was tied for 1st among all LB's in 2017,
LVE's 4.15 sec. in the 20 yard shuttle was tied for 2nd among all LB's in 2018,

TJW's 11.20 sec. in the 60 yard shuttle was 1st among all LB's in 2017,
LVE's 11.57 sec. in the 60 yard shuttle was 2nd among all LB's in 2018,

TJW's vertical jump of 37" was tied for 2nd among all LB's in 2017,
LVE's vertical jump of 39.5" was tied for 2nd among all LB's in 2018.

TJW's broad jump of 10' 8" was tied for 1st among all LB's in 2017,
LVE's broad jump of 10' 4" was tied for 5th among all LB's in 2018,

A very similar athletic profile and leadership qualities, plus a very similar playing resume as well with injuries limiting them to one dominant collegiate season. This may be deja vu all over again.

Iron City Inc.
03-05-2018, 04:58 PM
Carter of Georgia n Jefferson of Texas had nice workouts. Carter outside backer n Jefferson inside both will likely be day 2 players and 2nd rounders who may not make it to us. If we didn't go backer at 28 and went Safety (Harrison or Reid) I would bet those backers would be high on the want list in the 2nd. But it's still a bit early in the process.

Shawn
03-06-2018, 08:03 AM
Boy , Iíd love to know how Colbert has Evans & Esch ranked on his big board. I would too. IMO, Evans is hands down the better athlete. He fits that hybrid mold better than Esch. I know Esch ran great numbers for his size, but watch the guys film. He doesn't play that fast. He doesn't diagnose quickly. He gets washed out of plays...and thats against subpar competition. Can some of that be inexperience? Absolutely. He's raw. Could the Steelers turn him into a good to great LBr? Probably. But, he isn't a plug and play guy. But I suspect the Steelers will draft who is ever left between him and Evans.

Steel Maniac
03-06-2018, 11:04 AM
I would too. IMO, Evans is hands down the better athlete. He fits that hybrid mold better than Esch. I know Esch ran great numbers for his size, but watch the guys film. He doesn't play that fast. He doesn't diagnose quickly. He gets washed out of plays...and thats against subpar competition. Can some of that be inexperience? Absolutely. He's raw. Could the Steelers turn him into a good to great LBr? Probably. But, he isn't a plug and play guy. But I suspect the Steelers will draft who is ever left between him and Evans.

Yeah...I went and watched Esch play in the game against BYU and even thou he had an overall decent game, him being a little slow on diagnosing the play is real. I tell you we don't need anymore dumb and athletic linebackers like Dupree. One is enough. Linebackers greatest value IS diagnosis.

Shawn
03-06-2018, 02:36 PM
Yeah...I went and watched Esch play in the game against BYU and even thou he had an overall decent game, him being a little slow on diagnosing the play is real. I tell you we don't need anymore dumb and athletic linebackers like Dupree. One is enough. Linebackers greatest value IS diagnosis. Not sure how much of it's cognitive inefficiency or just inexperience. Hard to say.

Buzz
03-06-2018, 03:32 PM
Not sure how much of it's cognitive inefficiency or just inexperience. Hard to say.Either way, you don't want him to be slow to diagnose if he's the guy you're planning to plug in to replace Shazier.

If he's hestitant due to lack of experience, and we get someone else (free agent) to man the spot for a year, then Esch could learn in a backup role before taking over.

Eddie Spaghetti
03-06-2018, 03:50 PM
something about vander esch scares me. 1 year starter at boise st, why?

would prefer Evans

Buzz
03-06-2018, 04:07 PM

would prefer Evans
I'm thinking Evans would be more apt to be ready to step in as a starter. If he's available when the Steelers pick, I think they take him over Esch.

Slapstick
03-06-2018, 04:14 PM
Evans is also a guy who can play outside as well...

Buzz
03-06-2018, 04:19 PM
Evans is also a guy who can play outside as well...
Versatility. Evans would be a fine addition to the Steelers. Do you think he will be available when their turn comes at 1.28?

Slapstick
03-06-2018, 04:22 PM
Versatility. Evans would be a fine addition to the Steelers. Do you think he will be available when their turn comes at 1.28?

I think he might...

RuthlessBurgher
03-06-2018, 04:23 PM

would prefer Evans

He was a reserve for 12 games as a redshirt freshman (20 tackles, sack).

He was limited to six games due to injuries in 2016 (27 tackles, 3.5 for loss, one sack, one interception),

Named a team captain for his junior year, he had 141 tackles, 8.5 for loss, four sacks, four pass breakups, and four forced fumbles in his one fully healthy year as a starter before declaring for the draft.

In that one season as a starter, he was named 2017 Mountain West Defensive Player of the Year.

Did the one year starter thing scare you about T.J. Watt last year too?

Eddie Spaghetti
03-06-2018, 04:27 PM
not really, but it wasnt boise st

i just said the pick would scare me a little. im not gonna get all hot and bothered because he tested well at the combine

if he is the pick, fine. only said i would prefer evans. also trust guys like shawns opinion who watches alot more film on these guys than i do

Steel Maniac
03-06-2018, 04:31 PM
Either way, you don't want him to be slow to diagnose if he's the guy you're planning to plug in to replace Shazier.

If he's hestitant due to lack of experience, and we get someone else (free agent) to man the spot for a year, then Esch could learn in a backup role before taking over.

This would be a best case secenerio; Get a free agent and the guy we drafted for ILB rotates in sparingly.

Shawn
03-06-2018, 04:35 PM
I'm thinking Evans would be more apt to be ready to step in as a starter. If he's available when the Steelers pick, I think they take him over Esch. Evans is a day 1 starter. He is a smooth and silky athlete with the ability to hit and disrupt...former 5 star athlete who played against top talent. He is going to be a very good linebacker. Esch is intriguing from a pure size/speed ratio standpoint but the dude is raw and played against nobodies. I think he gets overdrafted and doesnt even make it to us. I have a mid second round grade on Esch. I have a mid to late first on Evans.

Buzz
03-06-2018, 05:07 PM
Evans is a day 1 starter. He is a smooth and silky athlete with the ability to hit and disrupt...former 5 star athlete who played against top talent. He is going to be a very good linebacker. Esch is intriguing from a pure size/speed ratio standpoint but the dude is raw and played against nobodies. I think he gets overdrafted and doesnt even make it to us. I have a mid second round grade on Esch. I have a mid to late first on Evans.
Which is why I didn't have Evans goint to us in my mock. I think he's likely gone by 1.28, so I had us trading back into round 2 and taking Esch there, which is about where I think he belongs.

You may be right, though, that some team will overdraft Esch. Hope it's not us.

Chadman
03-06-2018, 06:04 PM
I believe the Steelers will dip into the Ohio St pool & select the athletic Jnr, Jerome Baker at #28. While I like Evans, and Van Der Esch is interesting, I believe Baker fits what they look for at ILB- sideline to sideline, field fast, impact player & young. Also comes from not only a division they like, but a school they historically like to select from.

The mistake will be to believe he is Ryan Shazier Part 2. He’s an athletic LB, he can play that coverage role.

Buzz
03-06-2018, 06:22 PM
I believe the Steelers will dip into the Ohio St pool & select the athletic Jnr, Jerome Baker at #28. While I like Evans, and Van Der Esch is interesting, I believe Baker fits what they look for at ILB- sideline to sideline, field fast, impact player & young. Also comes from not only a division they like, but a school they historically like to select from.

The mistake will be to believe he is Ryan Shazier Part 2. He’s an athletic LB, he can play that coverage role.
Ryan Shazier 2 would be nice, but he doesn't need to be that. Just needs to be NFL starting caliber -- someone markedly better for the role than Spence/Matakevich/Fort/Moats are.

Shawn
03-06-2018, 07:22 PM

The mistake will be to believe he is Ryan Shazier Part 2. He’s an athletic LB, he can play that coverage role. Dear goodness I hope not. Baker is a freak athlete no doubt...but the dude is SOFT. He lacks physicality...is porous against the run, consumed by blockers. Yes, he can run, and yes he can cover but he can't stop the run for the life of him. He needs a mean streak and just doesn't have it. Shazier had a mean streak and was a much more disruptive player. No comparison between the two besides him being fast.

With all that said, if he was sitting there in the fourth he might be worth a shot just due to his size speed ratios.

Shawn
03-06-2018, 07:25 PM
Which is why I didn't have Evans goint to us in my mock. I think he's likely gone by 1.28, so I had us trading back into round 2 and taking Esch there, which is about where I think he belongs.

You may be right, though, that some team will overdraft Esch. Hope it's not us. I think thats the correct grade. But I think they will both be drafted before us.

Eddie Spaghetti
03-06-2018, 07:28 PM
if both are gone oren burks might be a nice fall back option in round 2 or 3. tested better than Zach cunningham did last year

how do you view him shawn?

Buzz
03-06-2018, 07:35 PM
Before the combine, most of the "experts" had Burks slotted as a backup/special role player, not as a starter. Not sure a good showing in the underwear olympics is enough to elevate him to be considered as Shazier's successor.

Sorry, I know I'm not Shawn, but I wouldn't want to get my hopes up on Burks being a starter.

Eddie Spaghetti
03-06-2018, 07:45 PM
I don't know man, cunningham did ok last year and they basically tested as the same guy. height, weight, speed, etc. you know he's a smart kid coming out of vandy

I'm just looking at guys who might be able to contribute as nobody is gonna replace shazier especially a guy we might get in the 2nd or 3rd round

he's played safety, safety/LB hybrid, and ILB full time last year. seems like an intriguing prospect the way the NFL is heading

Buzz
03-06-2018, 08:00 PM
I don't know man, cunningham did ok last year and they basically tested as the same guy. height, weight, speed, etc. you know he's a smart kid coming out of vandy

I'm just looking at guys who might be able to contribute as nobody is gonna replace shazier especially a guy we might get in the 2nd or 3rd round

he's played safety, safety/LB hybrid, and ILB full time last year. seems like an intriguing prospect the way the NFL is heading
Well, maybe he could fit into some kind of role. Seems like our D is in nickle and dime packages about 3/4 of the time anyway.

Shawn
03-07-2018, 10:13 AM
if both are gone oren burks might be a nice fall back option in round 2 or 3. tested better than Zach cunningham did last year

how do you view him shawn? Oren Burks is interesting. The dude is a solid locker room guy, quality human being, and intelligent. He is twitchy and can cover. I like his size/speed ratios. He is RAW because he is new to the position. He is worth a serious look in the third. My only concern is our ability to stop the run is suffering and he wont help in that area. But, he is the new breed of ILB. He isnt starter ready, but would be a great ST guy, great locker room guy and a very nice project player.

steeler_george
03-08-2018, 08:02 AM
Oren Burks is interesting. The dude is a solid locker room guy, quality human being, and intelligent. He is twitchy and can cover. I like his size/speed ratios. He is RAW because he is new to the position. He is worth a serious look in the third. My only concern is our ability to stop the run is suffering and he wont help in that area. But, he is the new breed of ILB. He isnt starter ready, but would be a great ST guy, great locker room guy and a very nice project player.

Sounds like an interesting prospect, with Timmmons supposedly coming back he can rotate in and out till he is ready.

This draft is going to kill me! I keep getting man crushes after every mock I read! LVE, Evens, Davenport, Hubbard, the TEs, the Ss, RBs...