PDA

View Full Version : They're Talking About Changing

Buzz
02-27-2018, 07:46 PM
...the defensive pass interference rule. It's one that hit the Steelers especially hard last season.

I think it's time. What do you think?

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2018/02/nfl-competition-committee-looking-changing-defensive-pi-15-yard-penalty/

squidkid
02-27-2018, 07:53 PM
not sure thats the right way to go.
i could see dbs tackling wrs on sure tds passing or hail marys attempts

Buzz
02-27-2018, 08:00 PM
not sure thats the right way to go.
i could see dbs tackling wrs on sure tds passing or hail marys attempts
That would be bad. On the other hand, I hate seeing the Bradys of the league always picking up cheap first downs by just heaving the ball downfield. Maybe 15 yards for garden-variety PI, but a stiffer penalty for tackling receivers early?

squidkid
02-27-2018, 08:05 PM
That would be bad. On the other hand, I hate seeing the Bradys of the league always picking up cheap first downs by just heaving the ball downfield. Maybe 15 yards for garden-variety PI, but a stiffer penalty for tackling receivers early?

agreed. its a tough spot
would be better if they could enforce the 15 yard rule at the end of halfs or a long 3rd and 4th downs....you know, desperation type plays

Eich
02-28-2018, 09:40 AM
I wonder how many fewer points would be scored if interference was just legal? With all the back shoulder throws, double moves, etc.. maybe it wouldn't be so terrible if DB's could just do whatever they wanted - except tackling - to prevent a reception.

Buzz
02-28-2018, 10:08 AM
I wonder how many fewer points would be scored if interference was just legal? With all the back shoulder throws, double moves, etc.. maybe it wouldn't be so terrible if DB's could just do whatever they wanted - except tackling - to prevent a reception.You would see the passing game considerably diminished. And the running game become a much bigger component of offenses. With reduced scoring. Like it was back in the 70s. I don't think it would be all bad, but the league will never go for it, IMO.

Shawn
02-28-2018, 01:53 PM
You would see the passing game considerably diminished. And the running game become a much bigger component of offenses. With reduced scoring. Like it was back in the 70s. I don't think it would be all bad, but the league will never go for it, IMO. I wouldn't make PI legal but I would definitely like to see a more run oriented league.

feltdizz
02-28-2018, 03:40 PM
I love it. This won’t happen but it should. Maybe have a 30 yarder for blatant PI when guys tackle WR’s when it’s obvious they are beat.

These 40 yard gains on questionable calls are game changers IMO.

Rara
02-28-2018, 05:45 PM
Focus on the incomplete catch that cost a win against the Patriots...that still really bothers me.

pittpete
02-28-2018, 08:12 PM
I love it. This won’t happen but it should. Maybe have a 30 yarder for blatant PI when guys tackle WR’s when it’s obvious they are beat.

These 40 yard gains on questionable calls are game changers IMO.

Problem with that is, refs get to make that call and will still f it up.
PI or not PI, no inbetween.
Just like the catch rule.
Take out all the if's.

buccoray61
03-03-2018, 04:28 PM
If they change the PI rule Joe Flacco will really be in trouble:)

pittpete
03-03-2018, 08:26 PM
Thats the first thing i thought about vs. us..
The days where Flacco would just throw it up against us ala Torrey Smith....

K Train
03-05-2018, 01:36 PM
definitely a good move, also kind of negates the ticky tacky calls that result in a 40-50 yard penalty. Itll still be a penalty but not as demoralizing. It works in college well enough, sure theres the occasional blatant tackle to avoid getting beat in where it workds out for the defense but i think they are more of a rarity than you would think

Eich
03-06-2018, 09:52 AM
Is there any other sport that plays around with the rules as much as the NFL?

feltdizz
03-06-2018, 12:34 PM
Is there any other sport that plays around with the rules as much as the NFL?

nope..

also isn't any other sport making this much or getting the TV ratings.

NFL knows what they are doing even tho it ruins the game for purist.

papillon
03-08-2018, 06:28 PM
If they change the rule I think they have to make intentional interference a spot foul, otherwise every DB that know's he's beat will simply tackle, push, hold, etc. and take 15 yards. I know it adds subjectivity to an already subjective rule but I think it has to be done.

Pappy

NorthCoast
03-12-2018, 09:34 PM
If they change the rule I think they have to make intentional interference a spot foul, otherwise every DB that know's he's beat will simply tackle, push, hold, etc. and take 15 yards. I know it adds subjectivity to an already subjective rule but I think it has to be done.

PappyLegislating 'intent' is exactly what the NFL needs to get away from. Besides, they don't give the defense any leeway in defensive hits to the head or helmet. If it's helmet-to-helmet it's a penalty, regardless of intention. NBA has intentional fouls for clock advantage.