PDA

View Full Version : OT: Bortles agrees to 3 yr deal with Jags.

feltdizz
02-24-2018, 09:49 PM
3 years, 54 mill. Incentives up to 66 mill.

Which means one less team will be looking for a QB in the draft since some thought Cousins could land there.

Captain Lemming
02-24-2018, 10:32 PM
3 years, 54 mill. Incentives up to 66 mill.

Which means one less team will be looking for a QB in the draft since some thought Cousins could land there.

Idiots......

pittpete
02-24-2018, 11:07 PM
Thats a bargain compared to what some team will pay Cousins..LOL

https://www.sbnation.com/2018/2/20/17032436/kirk-cousins-cap-hit-60-million-new-york-jets-free-agency-guaranteed

feltdizz
02-24-2018, 11:30 PM
Idiots......

i think it’s a good idea. They probably won’t win a SB with Bortles but they dame sure won’t win one with Cousins.

I have never seen a QB so average get this much love in the NFL.

Buzz
02-25-2018, 01:15 AM
i think it’s a good idea. They probably won’t win a SB with Bortles but they dame sure won’t win one with Cousins.

I have never seen a QB so average get this much love in the NFL. Yeah, I'm not sold on Cousins, either. Puts up some good numbers, but can he deliver wins in big moments? Hasn't proven that much yet.

But he's about to become a very rich man.

Steel Maniac
02-25-2018, 03:21 AM
Idiots......

Agreed..........

Jags are not really serious about winning a SB. That’s what that signing says.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
02-25-2018, 10:56 AM
Agreed..........

Jags are not really serious about winning a SB. That’s what that signing says.

Tent Dilfer, anyone?

Jags FO might be saying they didn't do so badly this year.

Eich
02-25-2018, 12:16 PM
I have never seen a QB so average get this much love in the NFL.

I've seen a lot of people call Cousins average. I'm just don't think we can be sure about that. He's put up some pretty good numbers on a very below average team. Last season, they had no real weapons and a line that was decimated by injuries and he still did OK. I'm not sure Ben would have done any better on that mess of a team.

Let wait to see what Cousins does if he goes to a decent team.

winwithd
02-25-2018, 01:14 PM
I've seen a lot of people call Cousins average. I'm just don't think we can be sure about that. He's put up some pretty good numbers on a very below average team. Last season, they had no real weapons and a line that was decimated by injuries and he still did OK. I'm not sure Ben would have done any better on that mess of a team.

If Cousins were with the Pats he would have been to half a dozen AFCCG by now!

feltdizz
02-25-2018, 02:22 PM
If Cousins were with the Pats he would have been to half a dozen AFCCG by now!

This is sarcasm right?

feltdizz
02-25-2018, 02:24 PM

Thats the problem. He puts up numbers. Matt Stafford puts up numbers, Rivers puts up
numbers.

Its good for fantasy football but what it comes down to is plays in the clutch. I just haven’t seen enough from Cousins to be convinced he can win when it matters.

Northern_Blitz
02-26-2018, 10:16 AM
Thats the problem. He puts up numbers. Matt Stafford puts up numbers, Rivers puts up
numbers.

Its good for fantasy football but what it comes down to is plays in the clutch. I just haven’t seen enough from Cousins to be convinced he can win when it matters.

I think it's fair to say that you wouldn't sign Cousins to a market leading deal based on putting up numbers with no significant playoff success. It's not my own opinion (I don't believe that "clutch performance is a thing), but I understand the argument and people that played the game agree with it.

But, I do wonder why the "clutch performance", "playoff success", or "championship" bar is only really applied to QBs. It's pretty clear that many are willing to pay Bell significantly more than the market value of a top tier RB. But, last I checked Bell doesn't have any rings either. In fact, his past performance says that he's about as likely to a miss our next playoff game due to injury than to play in it.

Steel Maniac
02-26-2018, 11:06 AM
We are talking the Redskins; How can you judge Cousins when your asking him to make chicken soup out of chicken $hit? No O-line, no real lead runningback; The WR's are subpar at best..yeah, and he still manages to throw for 4k and 20plus TD's?? I think Cousins will be a top 10 QB if he had a team around him. It's flat out wrong to say what a QB's limit is when he has crap around him all the time.

I'm not saying he should be paid as much as A. Rodgers or Brees but I'm saying we can't accurately say what he can really do until he's on a decent team in a decent organization. Because the Redskins are in the top 3 worst run franchises in the NFL.

If Ben had that type of team around him, he too would not be able to max his true potential out.

feltdizz
02-26-2018, 12:28 PM
I think it's fair to say that you wouldn't sign Cousins to a market leading deal based on putting up numbers with no significant playoff success. It's not my own opinion (I don't believe that "clutch performance is a thing), but I understand the argument and people that played the game agree with it.

But, I do wonder why the "clutch performance", "playoff success", or "championship" bar is only really applied to QBs. It's pretty clear that many are willing to pay Bell significantly more than the market value of a top tier RB. But, last I checked Bell doesn't have any rings either. In fact, his past performance says that he's about as likely to a miss our next playoff game due to injury than to play in it.

I didn’t say anything about rings.

I think clutch can be applied when you are fighting for a playoff spot. When you really need a win to stay in the hunt for a division title.

When has Bell ever played and shrunk away from the moment when he wasn’t injured?

I dont think anyone has ever said “damn, Bell was trash when we really needed him” when he has been on the field.

I get the injury frustration but thats all folks really have becaue anytime he is on the field he is a problem for defenses (I know he was slow to start last year) but overall, Bell is a problem for the opposition and a nightmare to defend.

feltdizz
02-26-2018, 12:39 PM
We are talking the Redskins; How can you judge Cousins when your asking him to make chicken soup out of chicken $hit? No O-line, no real lead runningback; The WR's are subpar at best..yeah, and he still manages to throw for 4k and 20plus TD's?? I think Cousins will be a top 10 QB if he had a team around him. It's flat out wrong to say what a QB's limit is when he has crap around him all the time.

I'm not saying he should be paid as much as A. Rodgers or Brees but I'm saying we can't accurately say what he can really do until he's on a decent team in a decent organization. Because the Redskins are in the top 3 worst run franchises in the NFL.

If Ben had that type of team around him, he too would not be able to max his true potential out.

These are my opinions. Nothing is factual but for the money teams are said to be willing to offer him I don’t think he is anywhere close to worth it.

He may be the next great QB but I just don’t see it. I think whoever gets him is going to be disappointed.

I think a 27 million dollar QB shouldn’t need the world around him to win some meaningful games.

and we have seen Jimmy G win 5 games in a row for a bad SF team. I really think Cousins is getting the benefit of the doubt based on his timing for a new contract.

Steel Maniac
02-26-2018, 12:47 PM
These are my opinions. Nothing is factual but for the money teams are said to be willing to offer him I don’t think he is anywhere close to worth it.

He may be the next great QB but I just don’t see it. I think whoever gets him is going to be disappointed.

I think a 27 million dollar QB shouldn’t need the world around him to win some meaningful games.

and we have seen Jimmy G win 5 games in a row for a bad SF team. I really think Cousins is getting the benefit of the doubt based on his timing for a new contract.

You may be right. But at this point, it's all about timing. If not Cousins, WHOEVER was thought to be a top 10-15 QB in his second contract was going to be paid 27 mil and above. It's just so happens to be Cousins. Stafford was just overpaid and there is no doubt he's overpaid because we've seen him have a compliment of weapons and still he hasn't won a significant game yet.

But at least with Cousins, we don't really know yet. Let's see where he lands. If he lands with the Broncos, he'll have a couple of real receivers and the Broncos will put together a running game for him too. Then we'll be able to see just what his ceiling really is. But the mere fact he did what he did with what he had (or didn't have) in Washington says a lot.

Northern_Blitz
02-26-2018, 02:32 PM
I didn’t say anything about rings.

I think clutch can be applied when you are fighting for a playoff spot. When you really need a win to stay in the hunt for a division title.

When has Bell ever played and shrunk away from the moment when he wasn’t injured?

I dont think anyone has ever said “damn, Bell was trash when we really needed him” when he has been on the field.

I get the injury frustration but thats all folks really have becaue anytime he is on the field he is a problem for defenses (I know he was slow to start last year) but overall, Bell is a problem for the opposition and a nightmare to defend.

I think that Bell is a very good player. But "the injury thing" is a huge deal (playoffs: 3 awesome games, 3 games missed due to injury, 1 hurt in game). Expecting his odds of being healthy during the playoffs to improve with time given historical data at his position is a big gamble. It's not his "fault". He plays a position where injuries are expected, especially since we over use him compared to all other backs in the league. But, its also the reason that he's not worth the contract he wants.

I agree with your conclusion re: Cousins (but not because of "clutch" play). The thing with QBs is that they will always be overpaid when they sign UFA contracts (just like they always get over-drafted). I will say this though: I'd rather pay Cousins what he'll get over the Garoppolo contract. At least Cousins has more than half a season's worth of starting experience.

It kind of sucks but I think that if you don't draft a franchise QB, the right play is to overpay a guy you think has a shot on a long term deal. Then, you hope that the inflation of the cap is higher than the year to year increase in salary. Then, eventually you hope to be in a situation like the Steelers where you have a franchise QB who is playing on a contract that is below the current market value despite the fact that they had one of the most lucrative contracts in the league at the time of signings.

Unfortunately, there are way more Joe Flaccos than Big Ben's. Big contracts are almost never worth it. That's why I think that they should be reserved for premium positions that are difficult to replace. QB is the most important position that's the hardest to replace.

It's really going to suck when Ben retires :-(:-(

Steel Maniac
02-28-2018, 10:54 AM
Oh yeah, it is. Those Bubby Brister/ Kordell Stewart days are on the horizon. Unless we can find a guy who can really pass the ball.
LMFAO!!

Slapstick
02-28-2018, 11:36 AM
Oh yeah, it is. Those Bubby Brister/ Kordell Stewart days are on the horizon. Unless we can find a guy who can really pass the ball.
LMFAO!!

Blake Bortles may be available in three years...right when Ben would retire...

Eich
02-28-2018, 01:15 PM

And that's the problem. How can you see enough from him when he's played on a joke of a team? I think it's just not possible to know how good he is until we see him on a reasonably decent team.

All we know at this point is that he's put up some really good numbers on a crap team. I'm kind've rooting for the guy. He has fire and passion and a gun-slinger mentality. I'd like to see him do well on some team.

feltdizz
02-28-2018, 01:21 PM
And that's the problem. How can you see enough from him when he's played on a joke of a team? I think it's just not possible to know how good he is until we see him on a reasonably decent team.

All we know at this point is that he's put up some really good numbers on a crap team. I'm kind've rooting for the guy. He has fire and passion and a gun-slinger mentality. I'd like to see him do well on some team.

I wouldn't pay top dollar to find out

Steel Maniac
02-28-2018, 05:59 PM

Me too; The only reason that Snyder didn't sign him a while back to a long term deal is because Shanahan has been rubbing it in Snyder's face that he was smart to take Cousins later because he knew RG3 wouldn't pan out. And Shanahan was on the money. And Snyder's little ego can't stand it to look monumentally wrong like that in front of everybody. Even thou he already does. LOL