PDA

View Full Version : Do you think Shazier injury was the difference?

Shoe
02-18-2018, 11:30 AM
I know that people don't like playing the "what if" game, but in this case, I'm just wondering if others think that was the end of the team's chances this past year.

I think that it obviously hurt, missing out big-play guy and replacing him with Spence. But TBH, I'm a signs guy. And all throughout the year, I was looking for signs that this team was all that. And I didn't see it, even when Shazier was there. The team didn't show particular strength or unity, when the Anthem stuff went down. It didn't when MB started bad-mouthing JJSS. It also showed itself with Bell and his late-season comments and actions. As much as I wanted it, I just didn't see a team that was "destined" for greatness. No doubt this team has as much/more talent than anyone out there, but I just didn't see that something that made me think it was particularly special, besides the talent.

Slapstick
02-18-2018, 01:06 PM
Not having Shazier, and losing him well after the trade deadline, and having Matakevich injured in the same game, left the Steelers with no option but to pick up a street free agent...

This allowed teams to target the MLBs.

So, yes, IMO, it made all the difference in the world...

Northern_Blitz
02-18-2018, 01:37 PM
I think it's hard to imagine that Shazier doesn't stop one of those 3rd downs against the Jags.

I'd go much further and say that their whole game plan would have been different if we had 50 on the field. But, their defensive game plan would have been different too. They were always playing with a big cushion and could have also had another stop or turnover if the situations were different.

Slapstick
02-18-2018, 03:47 PM
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2018/02/stats-steelers-run-defense-really-fell-apart-shazier-went-injured/

Ernie
02-18-2018, 03:56 PM
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2018/02/stats-steelers-run-defense-really-fell-apart-shazier-went-injured/

After getting gashed by the Jags in week 5...we really settled in in weeks 6-12... leading up to the Bengals. Would have to think Shazier would have been the difference.

Shoe
02-18-2018, 04:48 PM
After getting gashed by the Jags in week 5...we really settled in in weeks 6-12... leading up to the Bengals. Would have to think Shazier would have been the difference.

Wait, was Shazier on the field for that 1st Jags game? Fournette just gashed us. I know Shazier was around for the Bear game, which was probably worse to watch. Shazier was there for all those other games too, where every game, a guy would take a simple hitch, or slant, or screen, and gallop 40 yards. This happened like every game... that's sort of my point.

Yes... I'd like to think he would have erased all the ineptitude of our D. But my head tells me that it was a systemic problem, on defense and offense (i.e. locker room). In other words, even if Shazier makes a difference in that NE* game or the 2nd JAX game, someone would do or say something stupid (I forgot, in my earlier post, to mention the Deebo debacle) that would upend the season.

Steel Maniac
02-18-2018, 04:50 PM
Shazier would have made a difference against the Jags. Of that, I feel certain of.
But if one man's absence causes our defense to be that inept, then that is another issue that we need to talk about on it's own.

I just can't go down that "injury excuse" road; especially after an Eagles team with major injuries on both sides of the ball just beat a team that we haven't beaten in our last 7 attempts.

phillyesq
02-18-2018, 09:39 PM
I'm not going to blame the entire season on Shazier getting injured. At the same time, he was probably the one player on defense who had the ability to be a game changer.

Losing Shazier was a huge blow, no doubt. But the coaching staff failed adequately react, IMO. Tomlin has always subscribed to the notion of not weakening 2 positions. But I'm not sure the team was well served by doing that. The Steelers played TJ and Bud off the ball a lot this year. They could have shifted either to ILB while inserting some mix of Moats, Chickillo, and yes, Harrison, at OLB. Maybe you downgrade 2 positions in doing that, but in the same time, you'd get your best guys on the field, as opposed to playing a guy off his couch who was clearly not up to the task.

pittpete
02-18-2018, 10:48 PM
The game where we were really exposed after the Shazier injury was vs. the Ravens.
That was horrible to watch.
Our run D looked like the Three Stooges out there.

Also lets not pretend that Ryan didnt have his share of missed tackles and over pursuits.
Ryan was great at shooting a gap and getting to the sidelines quickly with his speed.

Starlifter
02-19-2018, 01:38 AM
anytime you have a player of his ability go down - it diminishes the overall performance of the unit. But while that was a big impact - the defense had other holes as well. Artie Burns did not have a good year. we were below average in getting outside pressure from the LB's. Dupree seemed to be MIA most of the year. The unit was giving up huge chunk plays every game. All this was happening when shazier was on the field as well. so yes, it made a huge difference - but let's not fool ourselves there are other problems that need addressed. Based on the whispers that the mike mitchell era is over and some other guys are being allowed to walk - I'd say the steelers think it's more than shazier as well.

feltdizz
02-19-2018, 09:16 AM
I think it was..

while we didn't always win with Shazier he usually made at least 1 or 2 plays a game. Against the Jags they killed us underneath with those crossing patterns. I would like to think Shazier could make a tackle or break up a pass on one of those plays.

The guy was a difference maker more times than not. He was missed.

He also got everyone else lined up correctly. It was a huge loss for us.

Slapstick
02-19-2018, 09:26 AM
I know that the first Jags game and Chicago were bad...but, those were both within the first 5 games...

Starting with game 6 until we lost Shazier, the defense played well, especially against the run...

There were big plays given up on defense, but not so much in the run game...

williar
02-19-2018, 12:20 PM
I'm not going to blame the entire season on Shazier getting injured. At the same time, he was probably the one player on defense who had the ability to be a game changer.

Losing Shazier was a huge blow, no doubt. But the coaching staff failed adequately react, IMO. Tomlin has always subscribed to the notion of not weakening 2 positions. But I'm not sure the team was well served by doing that. The Steelers played TJ and Bud off the ball a lot this year. They could have shifted either to ILB while inserting some mix of Moats, Chickillo, and yes, Harrison, at OLB. Maybe you downgrade 2 positions in doing that, but in the same time, you'd get your best guys on the field, as opposed to playing a guy off his couch who was clearly not up to the task. I agree mostly with this statement above. Shazier was the player on defense we could least afford to lose. Seemed like this defense was design around him to make plays. With that said, I do feel the coaches could have done better compensating for his loss.

feltdizz
02-19-2018, 12:28 PM
I agree mostly with this statement above. Shazier was the player on defense we could least afford to lose. Seemed like this defense was design around him to make plays. With that said, I do feel the coaches could have done better compensating for his loss.

that's the drawback of designing a defense around one guy.

Not saying we did but he covered so much ground I think we got away with some things while he was on the field.

Oviedo
02-19-2018, 02:03 PM
It was all the difference in the world. Shazier was playing at the top of his game and was one of the best linebackers in all of football. The defense was designed around his skillset. Everything wasn't the same after he left because we could never replace the sideline to sideline speed.

Oviedo
02-19-2018, 02:05 PM
that's the drawback of designing a defense around one guy.

Not saying we did but he covered so much ground I think we got away with some things while he was on the field.

I think every defense in the NFL is designed to take advantage of the skills of the best player they have on defense. You don't think the Raiders is designed around Khalil Mack? The Broncos aren't designed around Von Miller?

Every team does it

williar
02-19-2018, 02:11 PM
It still seems a bit short-sighted to put so much emphasis on a particular player. It used to be Troy P. when he got hurt our defense suffered greatly because he had such a huge role. I have no problem building around your best player, but you sure better have a contingency plan for when they get injured. Ryan had his share of injuries before this most unfortunate one. I agree that a team shouldn't lose its identity due to one injury.

SteelBucks
02-19-2018, 03:04 PM
I think it was..

while we didn't always win with Shazier he usually made at least 1 or 2 plays a game. Against the Jags they killed us underneath with those crossing patterns. I would like to think Shazier could make a tackle or break up a pass on one of those plays.

The guy was a difference maker more times than not. He was missed.

He also got everyone else lined up correctly. It was a huge loss for us.

^ This. I would like to also believe he would have helped against Gronk late in the Pats game. Season may have ended much differently with the #1 seed.

Buzz
02-19-2018, 03:16 PM

Losing Shazier was a huge blow, no doubt. But the coaching staff failed adequately react, IMO. Tomlin has always subscribed to the notion of not weakening 2 positions. But I'm not sure the team was well served by doing that. The Steelers played TJ and Bud off the ball a lot this year. They could have shifted either to ILB while inserting some mix of Moats, Chickillo, and yes, Harrison, at OLB. Maybe you downgrade 2 positions in doing that, but in the same time, you'd get your best guys on the field, as opposed to playing a guy off his couch who was clearly not up to the task.This. The Steelers still had a lot of talent. Should have been able to get a game or two farther than they did. Probably wouldn't have beaten Philly in the Super Bowl though.

squidkid
02-19-2018, 05:27 PM
it was a variety of thing that kept this team back, but i believe coaching was number 1.
we had the most talent in the league and played the easiest schedule. yes we went 13-3 but how many games did we barely win with a late fg?
we let a lot of really bad teams hang around til the end
when several players, ex players and numerous talking heads say this team was undisciplined AND the owner says tomlin shouldnt have ran his mouth leads me to believe tomlin was the biggest reason we failed

feltdizz
02-19-2018, 08:11 PM
I think every defense in the NFL is designed to take advantage of the skills of the best player they have on defense. You don't think the Raiders is designed around Khalil Mack? The Broncos aren't designed around Von Miller?

Every team does it

I think it’s risky to rely on your ILB to cover that much ground. It’s extremely hard to replace someone that dynamic.

Von Miller plays on one side of the defense. I don’t think it’s the same thing as an inside LB like Shazier.

if Von Miller pines up all over the field then yes, I think when he goes down that D will have a hard time recovering.

rpmpit
02-20-2018, 01:40 PM
Read through the replies and I don't think anyone mentioned the emotional impact Ryan's injury/absence had on this team. Sure his physical absence was huge. But seeing your teammate, friend, brother, etc. injured like that had to shake some of our players to their core. Add to that, he was their leader, both in scheme and attitude. So I'd say absolutely Ryan's injury played a major factor in how our season ended.

Northern_Blitz
02-20-2018, 05:28 PM
it was a variety of thing that kept this team back, but i believe coaching was number 1.
we had the most talent in the league and played the easiest schedule. yes we went 13-3 but how many games did we barely win with a late fg?
we let a lot of really bad teams hang around til the end
when several players, ex players and numerous talking heads say this team was undisciplined AND the owner says tomlin shouldnt have ran his mouth leads me to believe tomlin was the biggest reason we failed

Do you really believe that we have the most talented team top to bottom in the league? I think that there is little top-end talent on our D (Shazier for sure, then probably Heyward). There are few teams that have as much talent as us on O, but I'd argue that there are many teams that have as more talent than us on D with Shazier. I'd imagine that every playoff team had more talent on D than we did without 50.

Eddie Spaghetti
02-20-2018, 05:35 PM
well if that's true then someone needs to take a hard look at who is drafting and developing these defensive players because we have spent some high round picks on defense the last few years

while the offense has been able to hit on some guys in the later rounds, the list of defensive picks after round 3 is laughable. only starter i can find is Vince Williams and he is a marginal player at best. throw in bums like golson and JJ and it really looks pathetic

there hasn't been a single gem on defense found in later rounds the last several years. thank god for hilton or it would look worse

NorthCoast
02-20-2018, 07:53 PM
Do you really believe that we have the most talented team top to bottom in the league? I think that there is little top-end talent on our D (Shazier for sure, then probably Heyward). There are few teams that have as much talent as us on O, but I'd argue that there are many teams that have as more talent than us on D with Shazier. I'd imagine that every playoff team had more talent on D than we did without 50.There are a few analyst types that believe the Steelers secondary talent was very average or less.... and that's with Haden.