PDA

View Full Version : The one FA we should target 1st

steelerkeylargo
02-13-2018, 04:56 PM
ILB-Avery Willamson-Titans. Willamson was a tackling machine and one of the best ILB's vs the run in the league last year. Also was the signal caller and the 3rd highest rated player on the Titans D. He wont be cheap as he is expected to be about a 6-8 mil a year player. Conveniently that's right about the price of Mike Mitchell.

squidkid
02-13-2018, 04:58 PM
forget getting any good FAs

pittpete
02-13-2018, 05:05 PM
http://walterfootball.com/images/fball/titansb_logo.gif Avery Williamson ILB, Titans. Age: 26

Avery Williamson was a fifth-round pick in 2014, but he has evolved into a capable inside linebacker. He can stand to improve in coverage, but he's a dominant run-stuffer.

Slapstick
02-13-2018, 05:52 PM
I still think you throw a late round pick at San Diego to get Jatavis Brown...he was great in their 3-4 and did not fit into their new 4-3...some sources consider him to be on the bubble in 2018...he is exactly the same type of player as Shazier, though probably not of Shazierís caliber...

Eddie Spaghetti
02-13-2018, 06:05 PM
sportrac projects a 4 year deal of around 36 million

that seems high for a run stuffing ILB that needs to improve his coverage skills

i don't know squat about the guy but doesn't sound like a steelers type move imo

SteelerMaine83
02-13-2018, 06:56 PM
Brown might be someone that would be a good fit, and would come pretty cheap now. I think an expensive (i.e. more than $3M year) won't happen, especially if we sign Bell. Brown for a 5th, and draft another ILB early, acknowledging that RS will never play again and Vince is really only a two-down guy.

Steel Maniac
02-13-2018, 07:38 PM
I would love for Art to get serious in free agency. But I've got to see it first. Worked for the Jags defense.

Shawn
02-14-2018, 07:41 AM
I would love for Art to get serious in free agency. But I've got to see it first. Worked for the Jags defense. Haden wasn't serious?

Oviedo
02-14-2018, 09:10 AM
I would love for Art to get serious in free agency. But I've got to see it first. Worked for the Jags defense.

Worked for the Jags because they had like $60M in cap space. A decade of sucking does that for you. You want that too because you can't have it both ways

Northern_Blitz
02-14-2018, 10:07 AM

My guess is that the success rate on signing big name UFAs isn't good. The way the Steelers build teams has worked pretty well. I'm generally in the "ain't broke, don't fix it" camp.

But, Shazier's injury puts a monkey wrench into the plan. I think that we need some kind of a UFA to come in at ILB (we probably want to draft one early too). I think that this off season will be more interesting than most. That could be really good, or really bad.

feltdizz
02-14-2018, 10:34 AM
Haden wasn't serious?
First day splash signing or it doesn’t count.

SteelBucks
02-14-2018, 11:12 AM

They went after Hightower in FA last year. Not Artís fault he decided to resign with the Pats.

Steelers always get a bad wrap in FA and itís not deserved. Theyíve proven that theyíre willing to make smart moves without destroying the foundation of the team. Thatís what separates the Steelers from say the Redskins, Browns, etc.

Steel Maniac
02-14-2018, 11:39 AM
I don't believe Hightower was ever serious about signing elsewhere. Knowing BB, he was here just for intel reasons and nothing else.

feltdizz
02-14-2018, 12:06 PM
I don't believe Hightower was ever serious about signing elsewhere. Knowing BB, he was here just for intel reasons and nothing else.

You think we gave Hightower the cheat codes?

If anything I think we pushed his price up with NE.

It's showed our FO is trying to improve our team thru FA.

Steel Maniac
02-14-2018, 06:08 PM

Oh, I believe our front office was trying to improve. But I don't think Hightowers intentions were legit thou.

Northern_Blitz
02-14-2018, 06:25 PM

I don't think anyone need to tell NE that we don't have anyone that can deal with Gronk. Neither does anyone else really. That's what seemed to happen down the stretch. They go down. Then they have a drive where they throw it to Gronk 5x in a row and get a TD.

It's probably not the case, but sometime I wonder if Gronk retiring would be worse for them than Brady leaving. He's virtually unstoppable.

Slapstick
02-14-2018, 09:45 PM
I don't think anyone need to tell NE that we don't have anyone that can deal with Gronk. Neither does anyone else really. That's what seemed to happen down the stretch. They go down. Then they have a drive where they throw it to Gronk 5x in a row and get a TD.

It's probably not the case, but sometime I wonder if Gronk retiring would be worse for them than Brady leaving. He's virtually unstoppable.

One guy who had success against Gronkowski was Dallas safety Byron Jones...he’s another guy I’d look into trading for...supposedly, Dallas is very interested in Kenny Vaccaro...

steeler_george
02-15-2018, 05:08 AM
They need to find an upgrade/starter at ILB before going into the draft. We still need to draft a few ILB there is no depth there. Bince Williams is FA next year too!

Some say safety, but compare Mitchell/Dangerfield/Golden starting vs who is replacing Shazier is a bigger risk.

I would love the idea of signing Williams and trade for Brown~! I think It is possible, redo Shazier contract for longer time with a bonus, to lessen our 2018 cap hit and ...

Would you rather have 4 million to keep Vance McDonald ( got this idea off Slapstick's post) or find starter as ILB.

Slapstick
02-15-2018, 06:43 AM
The thing about Shazier is this:

The NFL won’t approve the contract if there is no chance Shazier ever plays again. If he can’t, it just becomes pure salary cap manipulation, which the NFL won’t accept.

feltdizz
02-15-2018, 11:02 AM

They also don’t need a cheat code for the fake spike pass in the end zone.

I swear if Ben ever tries that tired ass play again I will smash my TV.

Now I’m mad all over again.

RuthlessBurgher
02-15-2018, 11:30 AM
A 10-step guide to the Steelers' offseason

9:40 AM ET

Jeremy Fowler
ESPN Staff Writer

PITTSBURGH -- Every offseason seems to form its own identity for the Pittsburgh Steelers. Two years ago, the Steelers were trying to go from good to great by adding a few pieces in free agency and locking up key linemen. Last year, the team for once had some salary-cap space, which it used to bet big on Antonio Brown and franchise tag Le'Veon Bell.

This year, the roster picture is relatively clear. Bell is the priority free agent, and though a few positional needs exist on defense, the team won't be pressured into any major decisions in free agency or otherwise.

The offseason kicks off in earnest now. The Super Bowl is nearly two weeks in the rearview, the NFL combine is two weeks away, and the Steelers are formulating their game plan for the next six months.

To save you some time, here’s a step-by-step look at that process.

Franchise tag looms large: Tuesday is the first day teams are permitted to use a franchise or transition tag on a player. That window closes March 6. If the Steelers can't work out a long-term contract with Bell by the end of the month, tagging him at $14.5 million and keeping him out of free agency would be a sound move. But both parties would prefer to avoid that, after last year got messy.

Free-agency plans loosely set around NFL combine: The combine kicks off Feb. 27, at which time the Steelers will likely talk with in-house free agents while vetting hundreds of prospects. This could be a light lift, since Bell's contract is the only pressing decision left. Consider the rest of the free-agent lineup:

OT Chris Hubbard: After acquitting himself well in 10 starts last season, he'll get paid elsewhere. And the Steelers know it.

OLB Arthur Moats: Still a good backup pass-rusher and special-teamer, but he might be a veteran minimum guy at this point.

WR Justin Hunter: Could return on an affordable one-year deal but didn't get much of a look in a crowded receiver room.

DT Dan McCullers: Probably time to move on.

RB Fitz Toussaint: A good depth tailback but not a must-sign.

RB Stevan Ridley, S Daimion Stafford, ILB Sean Spence: Probably not priorities.

Restricted free agents: OLB Anthony Chickillo, K Chris Boswell, WR Eli Rogers: All three might be worth late-round tenders, which will come in just below $2 million once the numbers are announced later this month.

Early March moves: The three-day window to negotiate with unrestricted free agents begins March 12, and contracts can be finalized starting at 4 p.m. ET on March 14. As a build-through-the-draft team, the Steelers typically don’t spend a whole lot in the first week. But they know how close they are to a Super Bowl after four straight playoff appearances, so a mildly aggressive move or two -- key word: mildly -- wouldn't shock. If the Steelers plan to target an inside linebacker such as NaVorro Bowman, those intentions might start to crystallize as the calendar strikes March.

Mid-March pay day: Several prominent Steelers have roster bonuses due on March 16, the third day of the league's new year, including Brown ($6 million), Ben Roethlisberger ($5 million), left tackle Alejandro Villanueva ($3 million) and cornerback Joe Haden ($1 million). Don't be surprised if all four get their payments, unless the team decides to rework a deal. Haden, for example, played well last season and should be back but carries an $11.6 million cap hit.

Contract decisions for cap purposes: The Steelers can save nearly $14 million in cap space by releasing a handful of veterans, most of whom have played a pivotal role on the field and in the locker room the past few years. The team wouldn't move on from everyone and might keep most of them. But here are the primary options:

Safety Mike Mitchell ($5 million cap savings): He's a candidate to be released, but the team can ask him to rework his deal or take a pay cut. He didn't make enough splashy plays last season but also was hurt for much of it. Keeping him and drafting a safety would provide depth.

Safety J.J. Wilcox ($3.125 million cap savings): He probably needs a change of scenery. The 26-year-old hitter could find a home elsewhere.

Corner William Gay ($1.75 million cap savings): Gay wants to be back for the final year of his contract. He's a Mike Tomlin favorite, so it wouldn't be a surprise if he returns. But the team is transitioning to younger cornerbacks, and Gay has probably lost a step.

Safety Robert Golden ($1.475 million cap savings): He's still a core special-teamer, so he still holds value.

Corner Coty Sensabaugh ($1.4 million cap savings): The veteran started four games, but he might be expendable because of young and cheap corners Mike Hilton, Cam Sutton and Brian Allen.

Receiver Darrius Heyward-Bey ($1.2 million cap savings): Becoming one of the best gunners in the league helps his cause.

More restructuring? The Steelers saved about $13 million in space by using their well-worn cap trick -- converting salary to signing bonus -- with guard David DeCastro and defensive end Stephon Tuitt. The Steelers didn't have to rework much last year but are back to their maneuvering ways. Defensive end Cam Heyward, Villanueva and Brown are among the players with larger contracts that could be redone. Players typically don't mind this because they get money into their pockets more quickly.

On the draft trail: Tomlin loves the draft process -- working out players, talking with coaches, getting to know prospects on a personal level. Expect the head coach to be an active participant in the high-profile (and some low-profile) pro days. The staff and personnel department will disperse on a mission to comb for talent. The Steelers are considered one of the best teams in the NFL at this. Tomlin's whereabouts -- especially if he pops up in SEC country to study inside linebackers -- will be telling. The team's past two first-round picks, cornerback Artie Burns and linebacker T.J. Watt, spent significant time with Tomlin and general manager Kevin Colbert based around a campus workout.

Offseason workouts, bargain-bin shopping: Every year, good veteran players are available in the spring or early summer, ready to produce under a reasonable one- or two-year deal. The Steelers have had success tapping into this pool with the likes of DeAngelo Williams, Tyson Alualu and Sensabaugh. Expect Pittsburgh to summon reinforcements, possibly before offseason workouts in late April.

What to do with Bud Dupree? The Steelers will have until early May to decide whether to apply a fifth-year option on the outside linebacker or let him enter free agency in 2019. Dupree is better than Jarvis Jones, who fizzled out after the team declined his option, but not at the level of Ryan Shazier, whose option was an easy call. The team picks up a fifth year only if it feels the player can hold up under a long-term contract. In 2017, Dupree had six sacks while playing through an injured shoulder and dropping into coverage often. The team needs fewer disappearing acts from him, but he can play. This is a difficult call.

What to do with Big Ben? The quarterback market is trending to the $27 million-per-year range, which makes Roethlisberger underpaid. His contract averages about $20 million per year and has two years left. Roethlisberger wants to play three more. Does it make sense to do this now? Bet on the Steelers waiting a bit and handling Bell first, but Roethlisberger will get paid eventually.

http://www.espn.com/blog/pittsburgh-steelers/post/_/id/27199/a-10-step-guide-to-the-pittsburgh-steelers-offseason

Slapstick
02-15-2018, 11:36 AM
They also donít need a cheat code for the fake spike pass in the end zone.

I swear if Ben ever tries that tired ass play again I will smash my TV.

Now Iím mad all over again.

That was the call from the sidelines...but, I wish he would have just clocked it and pled ignorance...

RuthlessBurgher
02-15-2018, 12:45 PM
Jeremy Fowler
ESPN Staff Writer

Steelers GM Kevin Colbert anticipates roster tweaking: “If we don't change the roster we had in 2017, what reason would we think there wouldn't be any difference in the results? We have to be ready to be better than we were last year.”

Steel Maniac
02-15-2018, 12:58 PM
Jeremy Fowler
ESPN Staff Writer

Steelers GM Kevin Colbert anticipates roster tweaking: “If we don't change the roster we had in 2017, what reason would we think there wouldn't be any difference in the results? We have to be ready to be better than we were last year.”

Sounds great Kevin; let's see what's up your sleeve. Impress us. :smile:

RuthlessBurgher
02-15-2018, 03:12 PM
GM Kevin Colbert sends clear message that Steelers need to improve

2:03 PM ET

Jeremy Fowler
ESPN Staff Writer

PITTSBURGH -- General Manager Kevin Colbert was low on roster details but high in expectations in his media session Thursday.

Colbert wasn't leaning on the Pittsburgh Steelers' 13-win season, which should reverberate through the offseason.

The Steelers weren't necessarily better in 2017 than in 2016 because they won more regular-season games.

Check out this tone-setting sampling:

On the 2017 season: "Unless we are winning a championship, no one will sit here and say we were good enough."

On the defense: "We know we have a challenge defensively. We have to get better against the run."

On players under contract potentially not returning: "That's always a possibility when you're trying to get your team better and under the cap."

On free agency: "We won't close the door on anybody." However, he points out the Steelers typically prefer first-contract guys they drafted.

On the playoffs: "Jacksonville outplayed us. As plain as can be."

On the defensive roster: "Some guys are on the upswing, some guys are in their prime and some guys are still playing and they might be on the downside. Doesn't mean they still can't help you. They might not be the player they were before. That group has the potential to get better just through more play and learning from their mistakes, as I know they are willing to do and they are working toward it." This sounds like a signal to veterans with sizable cap numbers such as safety Mike Mitchell or cornerback William Gay. Perhaps the Steelers will be looking for a pay cut or two.

Overall, that's quite the variety of heat. Add in a line about the defense being too aggressive against the pass and too passive against the run and Colbert was in midseason form, if he had one (he doesn't talk to the media during the season). In early February, team president Art Rooney II called for improvements, but cited the team's victory total as a positive. Colbert didn't use that line.

His comments should be welcome to Steelers fans who watched the run defense allow 150 yards or more in three of the last six games. Colbert was even reluctant to blame that issue on the absence of Ryan Shazier, pointing to an ugly Week 3 game in Chicago in which Shazier played.

Though pressed against the cap as a financial collision with Le'Veon Bell looms, the Steelers aren't about to make wholesale changes. But Colbert sounds like a man who's about to make this offseason interesting.

"If we don't change the roster we had in 2017, what reason would we think there wouldn't be any difference in the results?" Colbert said. "We have to be ready to be better than we were last year."

http://www.espn.com/blog/pittsburgh-steelers/post/_/id/27216/steelers-gm-kevin-colbert-sends-message-that-steelers-need-to-improve

pittpete
02-15-2018, 03:27 PM
Not 100% certain, but if they come to an injury settlement with Shazier, his Cap hit comes off the books....

RuthlessBurgher
02-15-2018, 04:12 PM
Not 100% certain, but if they come to an injury settlement with Shazier, his Cap hit comes off the books....

He'll definitely receive that $8+ million amount, since that was fully guaranteed for injury the moment he signed it last offseason, but I'm not sure about what the mechanisms might be to get that dollar amount off our cap (if it's even possible at all).

squidkid
02-15-2018, 04:13 PM
colbert obviously is not a fan and should go root for another team

Slapstick
02-15-2018, 04:18 PM
I'm pretty sure that injury settlements count against the cap...

Steel Maniac
02-15-2018, 05:03 PM
Unfortunately, they do. :sad:

Buzz
02-15-2018, 05:47 PM
Lamarcus Joyner (FS) from the Rams would be a nice FA addition, but such a move would likely be too rich for the Steelers' blood.

Disco1981
02-15-2018, 05:54 PM
[QUOTE=squidkid;719763]colbert obviously is not a fan and should go root for another team[/lololololololololUOTE]

pittpete
02-15-2018, 08:57 PM
He'll definitely receive that $8+ million amount, since that was fully guaranteed for injury the moment he signed it last offseason, but I'm not sure about what the mechanisms might be to get that dollar amount off our cap (if it's even possible at all).

They talked briefly on Sirius about it.
I heard someone say if they come to an injury settlement he doesn't count vs. the cap.
I wish i could find a definitive answer on this but i don't think even the league knows the answer...:confused:

Eddie Spaghetti
02-15-2018, 10:11 PM
maybe we circle back around and look at tre boston again. he was in for a visit last year

if we are cutting mitchell as reported, they are bringing a veteran in without a doubt. I don't see how you could draft a rookie and stick him next to Davis and expect alot of success

sportrac had something like 6/47 as a possible contract #. that may be doable no matter what they do with bell

RuthlessBurgher
02-15-2018, 10:13 PM
maybe we circle back around and look at tre boston again. he was in for a visit last year

if we are cutting mitchell as reported, they are bringing a veteran in without a doubt. I don't see how you could draft a rookie and stick him next to Davis and expect alot of success

sportrac had something like 6/47 as a possible contract #. that may be doable no matter what they do with bell

By Charean Williams
February 15, 2018, 9:01 PM EST
Tre Boston wants team he fits in well, can win a Super Bowl

Safety Tre Boston visited the Chargers, Bills and Steelers last May after the Panthers cut him. He signed a one-year deal with Los Angeles.

That means he hits free agency again in March, and this time, he is seeking a long-term deal.

“Of course, L.A. is definitely somewhere I would love to be, but it’s a business,” Boston said on SiriusXM NFL Radio. “Everybody knows how that goes. I want to find somewhere that I fit in well, somewhere that we have a chance of going to the Super Bowl.”

Boston, 25, played 1,039 of 1,047 snaps in 2017, the most snaps of any of the team’s defenders. He tied for fifth in the NFL with five interceptions.

Slapstick
02-15-2018, 11:16 PM
Oh, if they could afford Boston...

Eddie Spaghetti
02-15-2018, 11:46 PM
would much prefer a S over ILB if we are able to sign 1 quality FA

would be much easier to draft a guy like rashaan Evans at ILb and start right away over a rookie safety, imo

Buzz
02-15-2018, 11:47 PM
would much prefer a S over ILB if we are able to sign 1 quality FA

would be much easier to draft a guy like rashaan Evans at ILb and start right away over a rookie safety, imo Agreed, and that's what I think they'll do.

pittpete
02-16-2018, 12:57 AM
Anyone think Davis could play deep?
I wonder if thats something on Tomlin's radar?
Davis missed a ton of tackles by my recollection

Captain Lemming
02-16-2018, 02:49 AM
Oh, if they could afford Boston...

They can afford any free agent defender they want if.....we dont pay a certain runningback what he wants.

SteelerOfDeVille
02-16-2018, 02:22 PM
http://walterfootball.com/images/fball/titansb_logo.gif Avery Williamson ILB, Titans. Age: 26

Avery Williamson was a fifth-round pick in 2014, but he has evolved into a capable inside linebacker. He can stand to improve in coverage, but he's a dominant run-stuffer.

sounds like a replacement for VW, NOT someone you'd want to put beside him...

Steel Maniac
02-20-2018, 11:30 AM
Free Agency begins March 14th...................

I can't wait. Because this year seems like there is going to be a ton of key player movement with some teams that have serious cap space.