PDA

View Full Version : Our New Offense Under Fitchner

Steel Maniac
02-13-2018, 11:18 AM
PITTSBURGH -- The Pittsburgh Steelers' new-look offense under coordinator Randy Fichtner is more of an old look, at least the structure of it. Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger said the offensive scheme won't change despite the departure of coordinator Todd Haley. The team is relying on the continuity of four offensive coaches returning and a quarterback entering his 15th season

The staples of the offense -- Antonio Brown lining up all over the field, three-receiver or two-tight-end sets, Martavis Bryant as a vertical threat and high-volume Le'Veon Bell -- will likely remain intact. Nonetheless, here are a few themes to explore with the 2018 attack:

Run-pass planning: The passing-game brainstorms will come from the quarterbacks room, where Fichtner and Roethlisberger will be "working very closely together" daily, Roethlsiberger predicted at the Pro Bowl.

But retaining offensive line coach Mike Munchak, who interviewed for the Arizona Cardinals head coaching job, was crucial for a running game he's helped architect the last few years. Munchak can keep pumping those pulling plays with David DeCastro and Maurkice Pouncey. Expect frequent collaboration between Fichtner and Munchak.

"Munch staying validates what Randy means to us and to him and this team," Roethlisberger said.

The Steelers liked to mix and match running packages, often kicking Bell out wide. This didn't work out so well on a crucial 4th-and-1 against Jacksonville in the playoffs but generally helped move the ball downfield. It's worth noting that coaches who worked with Fichtner at Memphis, where he called plays in the early 2000s, say the playcaller appreciates a good up-the-middle run as a way to set the tone.

'It's our offense': Asked about the perception that he'll be a de facto offensive coordinator, Roethlisberger stresses the Steelers offense belongs to everyone.

"It's never one person's offense," he said.

Loose translation: Pour a bunch of ideas into the gameplan and let the best ones fly.

But Roethlisberger clearly be given a lot of trust under Fichtner, starting with the no-huddle, which helped spark Roethlisberger's late-season surge of nearly 350 passing yards and three touchdowns per game over the final seven contests.

Roethlisberger cites 11 years of working with Fichtner, mostly in the quarterback room, as a way to promote offensive synergy.

"I don't think it's any secret we have a great relationship," Roethlisberger said. "I think that's what (the Steelers) wanted to propel moving forward."

williar
02-13-2018, 11:32 AM
I wish I felt blindly optimistic after reading this article. But, I feel like I've seen this movie before. This is all well and good, I certainly am hoping for the best. One thing they definitely need to work on is avoiding slow starts. This has been a signature of Roethlisberger for as long as I can remember. It's like it takes him until mid-season to find his rhythm. I don't understand how a QB with this much experience, playing with most of the same players, year after year, takes so long get into a groove.

Steel Maniac
02-13-2018, 02:40 PM
Yeah, but that would require a coach being more demanding of his players to get Ben to be sharp early.

pittpete
02-13-2018, 05:18 PM
I would give part of my liver to see the play action pass put into the offense......

NorthCoast
02-13-2018, 06:12 PM
I would give part of my liver to see the play action pass put into the offense......Yep. Look what JAX did with it. I don't know whether the OC or the QB was shunning turning his back to the defense but it seems with the threat of Bell running PA would be very effective.

Steel Maniac
02-13-2018, 07:42 PM
I would give part of my liver to see the play action pass put into the offense......

Why are you talking logical football? Now is not the time to bring common sense into anything.

Slapstick
02-13-2018, 08:05 PM
I know that, back in 2017, PFF showed that, according to their metrics, Ben Roethlisberger was one of the worst Play Action QBs in the NFL...

Personally, I think it has more to do with scheme...maybe Fichtner can fix that...

http://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2017/06/04/roethlisebrgers-struggles-with-play-action-remains-a-mystery/

Northern_Blitz
02-14-2018, 10:09 AM
I know that, back in 2017, PFF showed that, according to their metrics, Ben Roethlisberger was one of the worst Play Action QBs in the NFL...

Personally, I think it has more to do with scheme...maybe Fichtner can fix that...

http://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2017/06/04/roethlisebrgers-struggles-with-play-action-remains-a-mystery/

Wasn't he considered one of the best early in his career? You'd think that the PA pass would work pretty well when you have a great RB in the back field.

feltdizz
02-14-2018, 10:13 AM
Wasn't he considered one of the best early in his career? You'd think that the PA pass would work pretty well when you have a great RB in the back field.

Its hard to PA when you are in shot gun or have an empty backfield.

One has to wonder if this was Haley or if Ben prefers shotgun.

The RUTFM was bashed unconditionally when BA was here but it was dope a dope to set up the PA for long pass plays and it usually worked.

Slapstick
02-14-2018, 10:33 AM
And this is the schematic part...

I think that Fichtner may use Nix more as a ball carrier, blocker, and receiver....

A three WR set with AB, Bryant, and JuJu with Bell and Rosie in the backfield would be ideal for play action passing...

Slapstick
02-14-2018, 08:59 PM
https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/pittsburgh-steelers-nfl-features-news-blog-long-form/2018/2/14/17008354/how-randy-fichtner-will-impact-the-evolution-of-the-steelers-offense-part-three-the-passing-game-nfl

pittpete
02-15-2018, 12:37 AM
Could also line Nix up at TE if we had to.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
02-15-2018, 12:55 PM
Take the outline of the scheme in place...

Add a coordinator who everybody doesn't already hate...

Allow your QB more input in play calling...

And let your FB lead your RB up the middle once in awhile on short yardage plays...

And you have a championship caliber O

Steel Maniac
02-15-2018, 12:56 PM
Boom....like instant coffee. :smile:

NorthCoast
02-15-2018, 01:15 PM
The analysis by BTSC was good but part of me asks the question if these things were so obvious why wasn't anything done to address? There had to be more going on.

feltdizz
02-15-2018, 01:36 PM
The analysis by BTSC was good but part of me asks the question if these things were so obvious why wasn't anything done to address? There had to be more going on.

1. Ben likes to throw
2. Haley likes to throw
3. Haley is a stubborn ass
4. Haley is gone because of this

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
02-15-2018, 02:18 PM

I've said for years, and it's been discussed here many times, that Haley liked to do what ran opposite of what was expected. An example was the first game against Jax. The prevailing wisdom was that they are weak against the run (that was before they traded for Dareus) and the best secondary in the league. What did they do?

Drop back to pass 57 times
Run the ball 20 times

And remember, even though the score might say the game was a blowout, The Steelers were still leading late into the third until Ben threw two pick sixes, and the final TD run by Fournette was with less than 2 minutes to go. The game itself did not determine that the Steelers throw, the gameplan did.

There are numerous examples of this team playing like that.

Oviedo
02-15-2018, 02:20 PM
Take the outline of the scheme in place...

Add a coordinator who everybody doesn't already hate...

O
All offensive coordinator in Pittsburgh will be hated eventually because we have so many genius fans

Randy will be stupid, clueless and hated by mid-season. Then it will be TomlinÂ’s fault for hiring internally

Sugar
02-15-2018, 02:46 PM
All offensive coordinator in Pittsburgh will be hated eventually because we have so many genius fans

Randy will be stupid, clueless and hated by mid-season. Then it will be TomlinÂ’s fault for hiring internally

This is a fact.

Ghost
02-15-2018, 03:47 PM
For the first play of the 2108 season, 1st and 10; I'd like to see them run the QB sneak. Then at the press conference after the game Fitchner simply says, "QB sneak is back in the playbook, don't ask about it again" and then walk out.

squidkid
02-15-2018, 04:39 PM

fortunately there will be a few fans that are so smart that they will tell the non genius fans how wrong they are and how the steelers are the best at everything and can do no wrong.
checks and balances at its finest

Slapstick
02-15-2018, 05:57 PM
fortunately there will be a few fans that are so smart that they will tell the non genius fans how wrong they are and how the steelers are the best at everything and can do no wrong.
checks and balances at its finest

The only person saying that is you...and you attribute it to others....

Not checks and balances...simply a straw man at its finest...

squidkid
02-15-2018, 07:13 PM
The only person saying that is you...and you attribute it to others....

Not checks and balances...simply a straw man at its finest...

lol..........i smile every time you respond to one of my posts because i know how much it bothers you that i am right

Slapstick
02-15-2018, 07:36 PM
lol..........i smile every time you respond to one of my posts because i know how much it bothers you that i am right

That’s funny, because when you respond to one of mine, I know how much it bothers you that I’m​ right...

squidkid
02-15-2018, 07:41 PM
That’s funny, because when you respond to one of mine, I know how much it bothers you that I’m​ right...

lol....thanks for proving my point

Slapstick
02-15-2018, 08:07 PM
lol....thanks for proving my point

Thank you for proving mine.

pittpete
02-15-2018, 08:24 PM
I know you are but what am I?....LOL

Buzz
02-15-2018, 08:25 PM
Maybe Slapstick and squidkid are the same person, just taking opposite sides so he can have a conversation with himself.

RuthlessBurgher
02-15-2018, 08:31 PM
Maybe Slapstick and squidkid are the same person, just taking opposite sides so he can have a conversation with himself.

Dr. Slappy and Mr. Squid?

Slapstick
02-15-2018, 08:42 PM
I’m rubber, you’re glue...

pittpete
02-15-2018, 08:46 PM
I always thought felt and slappy were the same person but then i saw them together in the same place.

https://cdnph.upi.com/collection/fp/upi/10556/4ac1102c4727e4fe8b9b8b938fee71bf/The-Week-in-Pictures-September-10-16-2016_1_1.jpg

Slapstick
02-15-2018, 09:04 PM
I always thought felt and slappy were the same person but then i saw them together in the same place.

https://cdnph.upi.com/collection/fp/upi/10556/4ac1102c4727e4fe8b9b8b938fee71bf/The-Week-in-Pictures-September-10-16-2016_1_1.jpg

There I am in my John Stallworth jersey!

pittpete
02-15-2018, 10:03 PM
Lol..................

NorthCoast
02-16-2018, 01:16 PM
For the first play of the 2108 season, 1st and 10; I'd like to see them run the QB sneak. Then at the press conference after the game Fitchner simply says, "QB sneak is back in the playbook, don't ask about it again" and then walk out.personally, I won't be around to see that then, and if Fichner is still here it might be consider a small miracle.
:)

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
02-16-2018, 01:56 PM

More concerned about whether or not he gets along with the players. Fans will go whichever way the offense goes.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
02-16-2018, 01:59 PM
personally, I won't be around to see that then, and if Fichner is still here it might be consider a small miracle.
:)

The only one still in the league by 2108 will be Brady and his youth tonic.

Steel Maniac
02-16-2018, 03:06 PM
The only one still in the league by 2108 will be Brady and his youth tonic.

Youth tonic named Gazelle. :smile:

Oviedo
02-16-2018, 03:11 PM
Youth tonic named Gazelle. :smile:

More likely his wife Gisele, but if collecting exotic African animals keeps him young good on him

feltdizz
02-16-2018, 03:53 PM

I'm light skinned but not THAT light..