PDA

View Full Version : Carnell Lake Statement

fordfixer
02-07-2018, 01:25 PM
I have decided to return to California to be able to be a part of my youngest son’s last year of high school football

I want to thank Mr. Art Rooney II and the Rooney family, Coach Mike Tomlin, Kevin Colbert, the coaching staffs I have worked with throughout my time in Pittsburgh, and the entire Steelers organization. It has been a privilege and honor to play and coach for the Pittsburgh Steelers. I also want to thank all of the players I have coached during my seven years with the team – it truly was an honor to work with them. Finally, I would like to thank Steelers fans for their support and for being the best fans in the NFL during both my time as a player and coach

NorthCoast
02-07-2018, 01:29 PM
I have decided to return to California to be able to be a part of my youngest son’s last year of high school football

I want to thank Mr. Art Rooney II and the Rooney family, Coach Mike Tomlin, Kevin Colbert, the coaching staffs I have worked with throughout my time in Pittsburgh, and the entire Steelers organization. It has been a privilege and honor to play and coach for the Pittsburgh Steelers. I also want to thank all of the players I have coached during my seven years with the team – it truly was an honor to work with them. Finally, I would like to thank Steelers fans for their support and for being the best fans in the NFL during both my time as a player and coachI guess there will be some fans that are happy with this news. And wouldn't be surprised if there is a story behind this.

The Man of Steel
02-07-2018, 01:31 PM
Good player, mediocre coach.

Slapstick
02-07-2018, 01:36 PM
Ray Horton is available...maybe bring him back to Pittsburgh? Perhaps also an assistant DB coach?

Chadman
02-07-2018, 01:58 PM
Bring back LeBeau as DB’s coach.......����*♂️����

squidkid
02-07-2018, 02:05 PM
how can we survive without him?
you know, he never had a losing season here
name someone you know for a fact will be better

Iron City Inc.
02-07-2018, 02:07 PM
Ray Horton is available...maybe bring him back to Pittsburgh? Perhaps also an assistant DB coach?

Horton would be an excellent add. Steelers will need to move quickly if he is on the radar.

Eich
02-07-2018, 02:13 PM
And wouldn't be surprised if there is a story behind this.

Yeah, I'm wondering if he was asked to "retire".

The defense needs SOMETHING changed.

Iron City Inc.
02-07-2018, 02:20 PM
What's Rod Woodson doing these days?

Chadman
02-07-2018, 02:21 PM
Woodson was fired when Gruden became HC....

squidkid
02-07-2018, 02:22 PM
Yeah, I'm wondering if he was asked to "retire".

need a scapegoat somewhere
im sure tomnlin fooled some on this site that actually haley was the reason the defense sucked

Iron City Inc.
02-07-2018, 02:42 PM
Woodson n Horton both available both with strong ties here. Two excellent options imho.

feltdizz
02-07-2018, 02:47 PM
and so it begins...

I think Joey Porter is about to take a year off to find himself.

Chadman
02-07-2018, 02:56 PM
That wouldn’t be the worst thing to happen. Is Kevin Greene available?

Slapstick
02-07-2018, 04:19 PM
Greene is with the Jets...

SteelerOfDeVille
02-07-2018, 04:25 PM
need a scapegoat somewhere
im sure tomnlin fooled some on this site that actually haley was the reason the defense sucked
naah... though Haley WAS the reason the offense sucked in spells. during his tenure, they moved the ball better in no-huddle with Ben calling the plays instead of Haley. Haley also is the reason they opted to run a sweep against a fast defense on 4th an 1 instead of a QB sneak... AND the reason they passed on another instead of QB sneak.

Those kinds of boneheaded decisions in key moments are inexcusable with a QB who's nickname is "BIG"...

Oviedo
02-07-2018, 04:26 PM
Good player, mediocre coach.

I have to agree. Loved him as a player. Never thought he developed the players as a coach

Oviedo
02-07-2018, 04:27 PM
and so it begins...

Would love to see Porter be the next to go

Slapstick
02-07-2018, 04:44 PM
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2018/02/rod-woodson-steelers-new-secondary-coach/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=twitter&utm_camp aign=Feed%3A+SteelersDepotBlog+%28Steelers+Depot%2 9

squidkid
02-07-2018, 04:50 PM
naah... though Haley WAS the reason the offense sucked in spells. during his tenure, they moved the ball better in no-huddle with Ben calling the plays instead of Haley. Haley also is the reason they opted to run a sweep against a fast defense on 4th an 1 instead of a QB sneak... AND the reason they passed on another instead of QB sneak.

Those kinds of boneheaded decisions in key moments are inexcusable with a QB who's nickname is "BIG"...

damn, if only there was a person that had final say on those atrocious play calls................

Steel Maniac
02-07-2018, 05:01 PM

Yeah..and everything but the correct thing will be done. :rolleyes:

Steel Maniac
02-07-2018, 05:02 PM
and so it begins...

LMFAO!! From your mouth, etc. etc.etc.

Steel Maniac
02-07-2018, 05:03 PM

Can't argue with that sound thinking brother; So with that said, can you carry that sound thinking over to elaborate on Butler and the defense?

Steel Maniac
02-07-2018, 05:05 PM
damn, if only there was a person that had final say on those atrocious play calls................

I know; do we have anyone who can overturn a bad play call when he hears it? Hmmmm...

feltdizz
02-07-2018, 05:15 PM

I think Haley was terrible on game day. Bubble screens galore and refused to pass the ball to the larger WR’s when inside the 5.

Pats game on the last drive after the TD was overturned why was Bryant and Bell on the sideline? His sub packages sucked ass too.

I remember Crash posted a photo of AV spread out wide and running a pass route. Wtf?

SteelerOfDeVille
02-07-2018, 06:39 PM
Can't argue with that sound thinking brother; So with that said, can you carry that sound thinking over to elaborate on Butler and the defense?
Agreed - the defense was average, at best. Though I saw improvements in the coverage (more man, less zone to get picked apart), the run D was bad, even with Shazier. Personally felt like they 1) Needed a run-stuffing NT, 2) needed a better ILB (I woulda kept Timmons next to Shazier) and 3) shoulda played Debo more.

Final note: Relative to the offense, the D had inferior talent. Significantly inferior talent. Kinda hard to make filet mignon out of chicken strips

Eddie Spaghetti
02-07-2018, 06:45 PM
can't have it both ways

the defense has alot of high round picks on it, so if the talent is that inferior then something needs to change in either drafting or developing that talent

Steel Maniac
02-07-2018, 06:53 PM
Agreed - the defense was average, at best. Though I saw improvements in the coverage (more man, less zone to get picked apart), the run D was bad, even with Shazier. Personally felt like they 1) Needed a run-stuffing NT, 2) needed a better ILB (I woulda kept Timmons next to Shazier) and 3) shoulda played Debo more.

Final note: Relative to the offense, the D had inferior talent. Significantly inferior talent. Kinda hard to make filet mignon out of chicken strips

Well, if the defense had this inferior talent, who is responsible for gathering so much inferior talent on the defensive side of the ball?

Steel Maniac
02-07-2018, 06:54 PM
can't have it both ways

the defense has alot of high round picks on it, so if the talent is that inferior then something needs to change in either drafting or developing that talent

Well who is responsible for the development of these defensive players?

Buzz
02-07-2018, 07:53 PM
Wish we could hire some coaches who could do for the DBs and LBs what Munch has done for the OL.

feltdizz
02-07-2018, 07:57 PM
Well, if the defense had this inferior talent, who is responsible for gathering so much inferior talent on the defensive side of the ball?

I dont think we have inferior talent on D. I think we have youth and a problem with depth at ILB.

Dupree underwhelmed. Watt was fine and will improve.

we also lost our best player on D to a life changing injury.

We need a real NT.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
02-07-2018, 07:57 PM
Wish we could hire some coaches who could do for the DBs and LBs what Munch has done for the OL.

I guess Butler's strengths lie elsewhere. Or maybe the backfield talent just isn't there.

I never could figure out why in the last two games of the season Tuitt, Hargrave, and Heywood couldn't apply pressure up the middle on the QB.

I thought that at least was one thing we didn't have to be concerned about ...

feltdizz
02-07-2018, 07:59 PM
I know; do we have anyone who can overturn a bad play call when he hears it? Hmmmm...

Ben should be able to audible at any time at this point in his career

Buzz
02-07-2018, 10:10 PM
Ben should be able to audible at any time at this point in his career

You're right, he SHOULD. But I'm not sure he's been allowed to. Maybe that will change now?

Captain Lemming
02-08-2018, 09:35 AM
I guess Butler's strengths lie elsewhere. Or maybe the backfield talent just isn't there.

I never could figure out why in the last two games of the season Tuitt, Hargrave, and Heywood couldn't apply pressure up the middle on the QB.

I thought that at least was one thing we didn't have to be concerned about ...

I think Tuitt did not impress much the entire season. Unless we see more, we are seriously overpaying him. I saw no drop off whatsoever (maybe improvement) when Alualu was in.

Buzz
02-08-2018, 09:51 AM
I think Tuitt did not impress much the entire season. Unless we see more, we are seriously overpaying him. I saw no drop off whatsoever (maybe improvement) when Alualu was in.

Maybe Tuitt caught a bit of the LaMarr Woodley syndrome?

phillyesq
02-08-2018, 10:27 AM

I remember the DBs also being terrible when Horton was here. He's a decent coordinator but I don't remember being impressed when he was the position coach.

As for Lake, Burns and Davis both disappointed this year. So he certainly deserves some blame there. Hilton also exceeded any expectations you could have, and William Gay was a reasonable player under his watch, which nobody could have predicted. Not the worst track record, not the best.

feltdizz
02-08-2018, 10:30 AM
You're right, he SHOULD. But I'm not sure he's been allowed to. Maybe that will change now?

allowed? What would Haley do if Ben ran a QB sneak?

Put in Landry Jones?

Slapstick
02-08-2018, 10:44 AM
I remember the DBs also being terrible when Horton was here. He's a decent coordinator but I don't remember being impressed when he was the position coach.

As for Lake, Burns and Davis both disappointed this year. So he certainly deserves some blame there. Hilton also exceeded any expectations you could have, and William Gay was a reasonable player under his watch, which nobody could have predicted. Not the worst track record, not the best.

Horton as an assistant DB coach for several years under Cowher, including our 15-1 season and our SB season...

He was promoted to full DB coach and served for 3 seasons...in one of them, we had the #1 pass defense...

Steel Maniac
02-08-2018, 10:50 AM
Hargrave was such an penetrating lineman in college. At least, that was suppose to be his forte. Maybe it's the coaching?

Slapstick
02-08-2018, 11:01 AM
At any rate, in a perfect world, I would like to see something like this:

Hire a DB coach and an assistant DB coach...we have two coaches to handle 8 or 9 LBs, we have two coaches to handle 8 or 9 OL (Sarrett assists Munchak), but only one guy for 9-10 DBs...

Hire Rod Woodson to be assistant DB coach. Have him emphasize individual technique. Make Artie Burns and Sean Davis pet projects.

Hire Horton to be DB coach. Have him emphasize the coverage schemes. He worked with Butler for 6 seasons here, and has another 6 years of experience as a DC. Tomlin should step back, focus on the whole team, and let Butler do what he needs to do, assisted by Horton.

Analyze the defensive breakdowns. Give Woodson a to do list to correct technical breakdowns. Give Horton a to do list to correct schematic breakdowns. Horton knows this defense and is presumably trusted by both Butler and Tomlin.

We went 13-4...we don’t need huge changes, just corrections and tweaks...

RuthlessBurgher
02-08-2018, 11:57 AM
Another former Steeler DB [92-98] and Steeler DB coach [03-06] became available last week as well...perhaps have Perry coach the safeties and Woodson coach the corners (similar to how Porter coaches the OLB's and Olsavsky coaches the ILB's).

Packers safeties coach Darren Perry leaves team

Published 5:23 p.m. ET Jan. 29, 2018 | Updated 8:53 p.m. ET Jan. 29, 2018

GREEN BAY, Wis. (AP) — Safeties coach Darren Perry is leaving the Green Bay Packers in the wake of a staff overhaul by coach Mike McCarthy.

Perry plans to pursue other opportunities following nine seasons in Green Bay. McCarthy announced the move Monday.

Green Bay fired defensive coordinator Dom Capers following a 7-9 season and replaced him with Mike Pettine. Jason Simmons went from a special teams assistant to secondary coach, while cornerbacks coach Joe Whitt given the new title of pass-game coordinator.

The moves left Perry's role in question. He served as the position coach for one of the team's most experienced units with safeties Morgan Burnett and Ha Ha Clinton-Dix.

But pass coverage has been an issue the last couple years in Green Bay because of injuries at cornerback and inconsistent pressure on the quarterback.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2018/01/29/packers-secondary-coach-darren-perry-leave-team/109923426/

feltdizz
02-08-2018, 12:01 PM
Hargrave was such an penetrating lineman in college. At least, that was suppose to be his forte. Maybe it's the coaching?

or maybe he regressed.

He was much better his first year but Tuitt AND Hargrave underwhelmed IMO this year.

Slapstick
02-08-2018, 12:30 PM
Another former Steeler DB [92-98] and Steeler DB coach [03-06] became available last week as well...perhaps have Perry coach the safeties and Woodson coach the corners (similar to how Porter coaches the OLB's and Olsavsky coaches the ILB's).

IIRC, Darren Perry was originally supposed to stay on Tomlin's staff in 2007 (with Horton as assistant DB coach), but ended up leaving the team...perhaps on a disagreement about how Perry should coach, perhaps something else...

Perry leaving led to Horton being promoted...

SteelerOfDeVille
02-08-2018, 01:52 PM
can't have it both ways

high pick doesn't mean good talent. first rounders bust...

SteelerOfDeVille
02-08-2018, 01:54 PM
Kevin Colbert... ;)

RuthlessBurgher
02-08-2018, 02:48 PM
Kevin Colbert... ;)

Yeah, the same guy who picked all those "Cowher's players" that some folks around here seem to be obsessed with...

feltdizz
02-08-2018, 02:55 PM
high pick doesn't mean good talent. first rounders bust...

Exactly. A high pick doesn’t mean a player is an automatic upgrade. It SHOULD be but there is no guarantee.

Ghost
02-08-2018, 03:22 PM
The D should be much, much better. Every team misses from time to time but 2 out of 5 1st rounders were/are terrible and a third took a huge step back in year 2. Need this year's pick to be a hell of a lot closer to Ryan Shazier than Jarvis Jones/Bud Dupree.

Over the last 5 years they have gone D with the first pick with 4 out of 5 years having 2 out of first 3 be D. (And I'm guessing this will be year 6 for going D in round 1)

Defensive draft picks:

2017: 1st, 3rd

2016: 1st, 2nd, 3rd

2015: 1st, 2nd

2014: 1st, 2nd

2013: 1st

phillyesq
02-08-2018, 04:56 PM
or maybe he regressed.

He was much better his first year but Tuitt AND Hargrave underwhelmed IMO this year.

I thought Hargrave was playing very well early in the season. I got the sense that he was playing through an injury later in the year - he was replaced quite frequently by Walton. Maybe not, but that was the sense I got.

As for Tuitt, I don't know if it was his arm bothering him all year or what the deal was. But he certainly didn't play up to his potential.

Eddie Spaghetti
02-08-2018, 05:07 PM
some people can't admit that they want it both ways. of all those high draft picks ghost listed, they should be better

either they are missing on far too many players on defense or the coaching staff is not developing that talent

next year is a huge year 3 for burns, davis, and hargrave. if it continues to trend downward it's gonna be big problem

kindlecatsb'ng
02-08-2018, 05:38 PM
Tom Bradley hired to replace Carnell Lake.

Eddie Spaghetti
02-08-2018, 05:45 PM
Tom Bradley hired to replace Carnell Lake.

not a fan of this hire at all

quite possibly protected a monster while at Penn st

pretty distasteful hire IMO, but I'm sure some here will praise it as a great move

feltdizz
02-08-2018, 05:48 PM
some people can't admit that they want it both ways. of all those high draft picks ghost listed, they should be better

either they are missing on far too many players on defense or the coaching staff is not developing that talent

next year is a huge year 3 for burns, davis, and hargrave. if it continues to trend downward it's gonna be big problem

But... we are much better than we were before those picks.

We were downright awful a few years back on D.

We we still have issues with big plays but overall we aren’t that bad.

I hate to keep repeating the Shazier injury but he really had a huge impact on our D.

I think we are closer to good than bad but look at the SB... that was a terrible display of defense IMO.

Slapstick
02-08-2018, 06:05 PM

Yep. I hope those three can get it together and play better...