PDA

View Full Version : AFC North News: Ravens GM Ozzie Newsome stepping down at the end of the 2018 season

RuthlessBurgher
02-02-2018, 03:22 PM
Ozzie Newsome stepping down after season

Posted by Darin Gantt on February 2, 2018, 1:44 PM EST

Ravens assistant General Manager Eric DeCosta has turned down plenty of chances to move up a chair.

Now, he knows when he will.

Via Jeff Zrebeic of the Baltimore Sun, Ravens owner Steve Bisciotti said that longtime G.M. Ozzie Newsome will step down at the end of next season and that DeCosta would finally take over.

Newsome, 61, will stay on as a consultant after next year, and Bisciotti joked about him being the highest-paid scout in the league.

The Hall of Fame tight end built two Super Bowl champions in Baltimore. He was the league’s first minority G.M.

DeCosta has been tabbed as his successor for years, and has turned down every chance to interview elsewhere, including the Packers this offseason.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/02/02/ozzie-newsome-stepping-down-after-season/

Steel Maniac
02-02-2018, 03:39 PM
Ravens really are nose diving. They look like their going to be the new Cleveland Browns of the AFC. One can only hope.

feltdizz
02-02-2018, 04:02 PM
Flacco’s contract killed that team. Shoulda gave that money to Anquon Boldin.

Sugar
02-02-2018, 04:04 PM
Ravens really are nose diving. They look like their going to be the new Cleveland Browns of the AFC. One can only hope.

It's funny because when people talk about Steelers rivalries with the Bengals or the Patriots all I think about is how there is no team in the NFL I hate more than the Ravens. There is no team I want to see lose more than them.

RuthlessBurgher
02-02-2018, 04:07 PM
Steve Bisciotti “certainly” thought about a coaching change

Posted by Josh Alper on February 2, 2018, 2:19 PM EST

Ravens owner Steve Bisciotti announced on Friday that 2018 will be General Manager Ozzie Newsome’s final year in that job and he said there was some thought given to having Newsome oversee a search for a new head coach before stepping down.

Bisciotti said he “certainly” thought about replacing John Harbaugh after the Ravens missed the playoffs for the fourth time in the last five years. He said that he was proud of the way the team closed the year as they went 5-2 after the bye week to finish with a 9-7 record, but made it clear that he’s expecting a better outcome in 2018.

“I’m not going to give a playoff [or] bust edict to you all or my coach,” Bisciotti said, via Jeff Zrebiec of the Baltimore Sun. “He’s under as much pressure than probably he’s ever been in his life. I expect him to keep his chin up … and make the most of the season.”

Bisciotti rejected the idea that the franchise is at a “crossroad,” but it sounds like a new direction could be in the cards if another disappointing season coincides with the end of Newsome’s long run at the top of the personnel department.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/02/02/steve-bisciotti-certainly-thought-about-a-coaching-change/

feltdizz
02-02-2018, 04:48 PM
Ravens miss the playoffs 4 of 5 years and THINK about a coaching change.

Yet folks think Tomlin is gone if he doesn’t win a SB next year?

Lmao... ok.

Starlifter
02-02-2018, 07:27 PM
It’s funny. I don’t hate the ravens - i respect the team. However I HATE harbaugh. He’s a low class whiny passive aggressive dirtbag.

When it comes to the bungles I don’t hate Marvin Lewis. He’s just a snowflake who sold his soul to mike brown. But I HATE the team for all their low character thugs.

As for the clowns - they have just provided laughs since their return

LordVile
02-02-2018, 11:51 PM
It’s funny. I don’t hate the ravens - i respect the team. However I HATE harbaugh. He’s a low class whiny passive aggressive dirtbag.

When it comes to the bungles I don’t hate Marvin Lewis. He’s just a snowflake who sold his soul to mike brown. But I HATE the team for all their low character thugs.

As for the clowns - they have just provided laughs since their return

lewis DEFENDS those thugs. and coaches them up that way

RuthlessBurgher
02-03-2018, 01:45 PM
By Darin Gantt
Feb 2, 2018, 4:33 PM EST
Ozzie Newsome: “I still will be a very big part” of Ravens

Even though his run as Ravens General Manager will end after the coming season, Ozzie Newsome said he wasn’t going far.

Owner Steve Bisciotti told reporters Friday that this will be Newsome’s last year and that longtime assistant Eric DeCosta was taking over in 2019, with Newsome transitioning to a consultant role.

“I don’t know what my title will be, but I still will be a very big part of the organization. I’ll be in the building and working with the team every day as usual,” Newsome told the Baltimore Sun. “This is all part of a five-year plan that I worked out with the owner near the end of my contract. Eric will have the title of general manager, which is part of the transition, but there will be very little change. Right now, my focus is on getting ready for the draft, the combine and free agency.”

Bisciotti said that after the 2013 season, Newsome (who turns 62 in March) was given a five-year contract extension which was designed to be his last, and establish the bridge of DeCosta, who has turned away all other chances to interview for G.M. jobs.

A Hall of Fame tight end as a player, Newsome has has been the G.M. since 2002. As the Sun noted, 11 of his 22 first-round picks ended up making at least one Pro Bowl, and they won two Super Bowls. But their traditional success in the draft hasn’t been matched in recent years (and they’ve missed the playoffs four of the last five years), and they’ve missed on some high picks.

But his legacy will be intact with a pair of Super Bowl rings, as well as being the league’s first minority General Manager.

Oviedo
02-03-2018, 02:31 PM
It's funny because when people talk about Steelers rivalries with the Bengals or the Patriots all I think about is how there is no team in the NFL I hate more than the Ravens. There is no team I want to see lose more than them.

I hate the Bumgals more than any team in the nFL.

I have respect for the Ravens and Pats

Sugar
02-04-2018, 03:51 PM
I hate the Bumgals more than any team in the nFL.

I have respect for the Ravens and Pats

The Bengals are too pathetic to hate, IMO. I live in Bengal-land with all of their "who-dey's" and tiger striped crap and I can't help but feel sorry for them that they are in this dysfunctional relationship that causes them to go back year after year to a team that isn't really invested in winning in the first place.

Steel Maniac
02-04-2018, 08:56 PM
I’m with you; i dont hate the bengals; they’ve been good road kill for us over their existence and I love them. With Marvin Lewis still around I expect good times to continue.

Oviedo
02-05-2018, 12:03 AM
Ravens needs to see Harbaugh walk out the door not Ozzie. Johnny boy is over rated just like his brother Jim

RuthlessBurgher
02-26-2018, 03:30 PM
Danny Woodhead, Jeremy Maclin among potential Ravens cuts

Posted by Michael David Smith on February 26, 2018, 10:41 AM EST

The Ravens are near the bottom of the league in available salary cap space heading into 2018, so don’t be surprised if a couple of well-known veterans are cut and replaced by cheaper alternatives.

Ravens running back Danny Woodhead and receiver Jeremy Maclin are both believed to be in jeopardy of losing their jobs, according to the Baltimore Sun.

Woodhead has a base salary of $2.55 million this season. He’s a 33-year-old running back who has struggled to stay healthy and totaled just 256 yards from scrimmage last season, so it would actually be surprising if he didn’t get cut, unless he’s willing to reduce that base salary.

Maclin is heading into the second year of his two-year contract and has a base salary of $4 million, plus a roster bonus of $1 million. He’ll turn 30 in May and had career lows in catches (40) and yards (440) last season, so he too seems likely to be asked to take a cut or get cut.

Other Ravens who could be in danger of losing their jobs include linebacker Albert McClellan, offensive tackle Austin Howard and cornerback Brandon Carr. Ravens safety Lardarius Webb, who was cut in March of last year but re-signed in April, could go through the same thing again this year.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/02/26/danny-woodhead-jeremy-maclin-among-potential-ravens-cuts/

Steel Maniac
02-26-2018, 04:10 PM
Ravens and Browns are about to switch positions in the league. Hahaha

RuthlessBurgher
03-09-2018, 03:56 PM
Bengals tell Pacman he won’t be back without a pay cut

Posted by Michael David Smith on March 9, 2018, 2:22 PM EST

The Bengals will be moving on from Adam “Pacman” Jones, unless he takes a pay cut.

Jones, who was under contract for a $5.3 million base salary this season, has been told he won’t be back under that deal, according to Geoff Hobson of Bengals.com.

However, Jones will be welcome back if he’s willing to compete for a roster spot as a nickel cornerback and punt returner — and if he’s willing to accept the kind of salary that comes with just competing for a roster spot.

Jones said he’s unsure if he’ll be back with the Bengals at a reduced price.

“I have to sit down and make decision with family,” he said.

Jones, who will turn 35 in September, played in nine games last season before suffering a season-ending sports hernia.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/03/09/bengals-tell-pacman-he-wont-be-back-without-a-pay-cut/

RuthlessBurgher
03-09-2018, 05:32 PM
Dolphins trade Jarvis Landry to Browns

Posted by Josh Alper on March 9, 2018, 4:30 PM EST

It wasn’t long after the Dolphins placed the franchise tag on wide receiver Jarvis Landry that reports emerged that they wanted to trade Landry and they gave him the OK to talk to other teams about a deal.

Landry and the Dolphins have found a taker. According to multiple reports, the Dolphins have agreed to trade Landry to the Browns in a deal that cannot become official until March 14.

The return is a pair a draft picks — one in 2018 and one in 2019, per Ian Rapoport of NFL Media — and there are multiple reports that the Browns are working on a new deal for Landry.

Landry, who has 400 catches in four NFL seasons, joins Josh Gordon and Corey Coleman at the top of the Cleveland receiving corps and will give whoever winds up at quarterback with the Browns a reliable target in the passing game.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/03/09/dolphins-trade-jarvis-landry-to-browns/

buccoray61
03-09-2018, 05:34 PM
NFL Network is reporting the Browns are trading for Jarvis Landry

buccoray61
03-09-2018, 05:37 PM
I'm actually starting to worry about the Browns

Steel Maniac
03-09-2018, 06:42 PM
I'm actually starting to worry about the Browns

Browns just got Jarvis Landry from the Dolphins

buccoray61
03-09-2018, 07:20 PM
Now I'm really confused. The Brown's just traded a third round pick for Tyrod Taylor

buccoray61
03-09-2018, 07:59 PM
Now I'm really confused. The Brown's just traded a third round pick for Tyrod Taylor

I get it now. They just traded Kizer to the Packers for Damarious Randall.

Sugar
03-09-2018, 08:04 PM
I get it now. They just traded Kizer to the Packers for Damarious Randall.

It's funny because based on our last game against them, the problem didn't seem to be with the guy throwing the ball, but rather with the ones who were supposed to be catching it. Landry is a good catch for them (pun intended).

Steel Maniac
03-10-2018, 04:27 PM
I'm thinking the Ravens will be moving to the cellar of the division.

RuthlessBurgher
03-12-2018, 02:13 PM
Ravens release veteran DB Lardarius Webb

Posted by Darin Gantt on March 12, 2018, 12:54 PM EDT

The Ravens have parted ways with a longtime contributor to their defense, who has played many roles.

Webb just tweeted out his goodbye to the team, and Ian Rapoport of the NFL Network, the team retweeted him, and Ian Rapoport of the NFL Network confirmed that he has been released.

Parting ways with Webb clears $2.15 million in cap room.

The 32-year-old former cornerback signed a three-year deal last offseason. He’s been with the Ravens his entire nine-year career, but moved to safety in 2016.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/03/12/ravens-release-veteran-db-lardarius-webb/

RuthlessBurgher
03-12-2018, 02:16 PM
Ravens sign James Hurst to new four-year deal

Posted by Darin Gantt on March 12, 2018, 12:28 PM EDT

The Ravens weren’t going to wait for people to tamper with their left guard.

The team announced James Hurst has been signed to a new four-year deal. Ian Rapoport of the NFL Network reports the deal is worth $17.5 million, with $8 million guaranteed.

Hurst was set to be an unrestricted free agent, and could have listened to offers from others at noon, but apparently opted not to.

Hurst moved into the starting lineup last year and started all 16 games.

The Ravens also have center Ryan Jensen about to hit the market, so getting Hurst done now provides some stability.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/03/12/ravens-sign-james-hurst-to-new-four-year-deal/

RuthlessBurgher
03-12-2018, 04:41 PM
Report: Bengals are trading for Cordy Glenn

Posted by Darin Gantt on March 12, 2018, 4:31 PM EDT

Not only were the Bills open to trading Cordy Glenn, they were successful at it.

According to Josina Anderson of ESPN, the Bills have traded their left tackle to the Bengals.

If Glenn is well, he’d go a long way toward filling a major void for the Bengals.

They took a pair of tackles in the 2015 NFL Draft (first-rounder Cedric Ogbuehi and second-rounder Jake Fisher), but neither of them were able to replace departed free agent Andrew Whitworth last year. All Whitworth did last year was make the Rams instant contenders.

Glenn played just five games last year because of foot and ankle problems, so the Bills know how to play without him. And the deal takes a big number off the books, and likely adds to their significant pile of draft picks.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/03/12/report-bengals-are-trading-for-cordy-glenn/

buccoray61
03-12-2018, 05:34 PM
The Bills have traded LT Cordy Glenn to the Bengals. They swapped first round picks with the Bills getting the 12th pick and the Bengals getting the 21st

buccoray61
03-12-2018, 05:51 PM
I'm guessing the Bills are gathering ammo to move into the top 5 for a QB

RuthlessBurgher
03-13-2018, 01:36 PM
Ravens parting ways with Austin Howard, Danny Woodhead

Posted by Josh Alper on March 13, 2018, 10:19 AM EDT

The Ravens will create some cap space by parting ways with a couple of veterans on the offensive side of the ball.

Ian Rapoport of NFL Media reports that the team will not pick up the option on right tackle Austin Howard‘s contract for the 2018 season. Rapoport also reports that the team will release running back Danny Woodhead.

Howard spent one year in Baltimore and started every game at right tackle in 2017. They may also be losing center Ryan Jensen as he’s set for unrestricted free agency come 4 p.m. ET on Wednesday afternoon. The team did re-sign guard James Hurst on Monday and they expect to get Marshal Yanda and Alex Lewis back after they missed all but two games between them last year.

Woodhead also joined the Ravens last year and missed eight games due to a hamstring injury. Woodhead, who has missed 35 games over the last four seasons, ran 14 times for 56 yards and caught 33 passes for 200 yards.

The two moves will give the Ravens $4.8 million in cap space.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/03/13/ravens-parting-ways-with-austin-howard-danny-woodhead/

RuthlessBurgher
03-13-2018, 01:38 PM
Ravens holding onto Brandon Carr

Posted by Josh Alper on March 13, 2018, 11:07 AM EDT

The Ravens are set to move on without right tackle Austin Howard and running back Danny Woodhead, but they are going to hold onto cornerback Brandon Carr.

Jeff Zrebiec of the Baltimore Sun reports that the team will pick up Carr’s option for the 2018 season.

Carr is set to make a base salary of $4.5 million in 2018 and has a roster bonus of $1.5 million. The Ravens could have saved $4 million under the cap by parting ways with Carr, but would have had $3 million in dead money left over and would be counting on Jimmy Smith to make a complete recovery from a torn ACL at the top of their cornerback depth chart.

Carr started all 16 games in his first season with the Ravens, which doesn’t come as much surprise as he has started every game over the course of a 10-year career that’s also featured stops in Kansas City and Dallas. He had 56 tackles and four interceptions last year.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/03/13/ravens-holding-onto-brandon-carr/

RuthlessBurgher
03-14-2018, 02:34 PM
Ravens release veteran receiver Jeremy Maclin

Posted by Darin Gantt on March 14, 2018, 1:22 PM EDT

The Ravens signed a couple of wide receivers of varying degrees of production, so they had to let go of a previous attempt to add some pop to their passing game.

According to Adam Schefter of ESPN, the Ravens are releasing Jeremy Maclin.

The move saves $5 million in cap space, and after a 40-catch season, the 29-year-old Maclin was expendable.

The Ravens brought in John Brown and Ryan Grant as replacements for Maclin and free agent Mike Wallace, giving them a new look.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/03/14/ravens-release-veteran-receiver-jeremy-maclin/

RuthlessBurgher
04-04-2018, 02:30 PM
Ozzie Newsome: Robert Griffin III had a good workout, will sign next week

Posted by Michael David Smith on April 4, 2018, 11:58 AM EDT

Robert Griffin III is coming back to the NFL.

Ravens General Manager Ozzie Newsome confirmed today that Griffin worked out in Baltimore, impressed the team, and is ready to become a Raven.

“He came in last week, worked out, had a real good workout, and we were able to come to an agreement late yesterday,” Newsome said. “He will probably be here early next week to sign the deal.”

Griffin had one of the most precipitous falls in NFL history: In 2012 he won the rookie of the year award, led Washington to the playoffs, and was hailed as the NFL’s brightest young star. But he suffered a serious knee injury in that playoff game after the 2012 season and was never the same player again. After the Browns released him after one year in 2016, he was out of football for the entire 2017 season.

Now he’ll get another chance to show that he can at least make an NFL roster, although in Baltimore he’s slated to compete for a backup spot behind Joe Flacco. At age 28, he’s getting a shot at proving he still has something left.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/04/04/ozzie-newsome-robert-griffin-iii-had-a-good-workout-will-sign-next-week/

feltdizz
04-04-2018, 02:40 PM
wth... why do teams in the AFCN keep giving this guy a shot?

RuthlessBurgher
04-04-2018, 02:52 PM

Yeah, Baltimore seemed like a logical eventual landing spot for Colin Kaepernick given John Harbaugh's brother's experiences with him back in San Francisco, but I don't get the RGIII thing.

RuthlessBurgher
05-15-2018, 04:07 PM
Ravens GM Eric DeCosta states Baltimore has emulated the Steelers’ approach to business

Seems as if the Ravens are emulating their bitter rivals...

By Jeff Hartman

May 15, 2018, 1:52pm EDT

If you can’t beat ‘em, join ‘em.

This could certainly be the mantra for the Baltimore Ravens under soon-to-be General Manager Eric DeCosta.

DeCosta told the Talk Sports America podcast how the Ravens have attempted to emulate how the Pittsburgh Steelers do business in hopes of becoming more like them. Yes, the fierce rivalry between the two AFC North teams has the Ravens realizing how the Steelers do business, and how they can adjust their own practices.

“We’ve tried to build a sustained culture over a period of time like some of our competitors,” said DeCosta. “We’ve admired the Steelers, even though it’s probably hard for me to say that. Teams like the Steelers who have been able to consistently win … they do it a certain way. And we’ve tried to emulate that … and I think we have to a degree. And I’m proud of that.

“So, in my situation, I’m trying to be patient like I know Ozzie would be patient … Listen, the Ravens are going to be here long after I’m gone and long after Ozzie’s gone, and it’s all about people. I believe you win with people, and we’ve got a great staff … we’ve got great employees here … who can help me succeed and help us succeed.

“It’s still the Ravens’ Way of doing things, and I believe in that. Yes, big shoes (to fill). However, I believe in the people that are going to help me along the way, including Ozzie. I believe in Steve Bisciotti, our owner, and I really believe in John Harbaugh, our head coach. And I think we have the people here to succeed over the next 10, 15 to 20 years.”

When fans talk about the “Steelers Way”, most assume they are referring to Super Bowl victories. Those six trophies at the team headquarters is certainly impressive, but the “Steelers Way” is much more than just winning championships. It is about a level of consistency paralleled by few. It is about not falling for the gimmick and trends throughout the league. It is about building an organization from the foundation up. And, yes, it is about winning.

While Steelers fans might read this and think DeCosta, who will take over full-time as General Manager when Ozzie Newsome retires after the 2018 season, is losing his mind for saying such a thing, if other General Managers were honest they would likely say the same thing.

Since 2007, the Steelers’ worst record has been 8-8. In that same time span, since Mike Tomlin was brought in as the head coach, the team hasn’t suffered a losing season.

Not one.

Despite the fact the Steelers haven’t climbed to the top of the NFL mountain since the 2009 season, they remain one of the few franchises who can be labeled as a gold standard throughout the league. So, while fans of the Ravens might read what DeCosta said and be sick to their stomachs, fault him for saying it publicly, not for doing business the right way.

After all, the “Steelers Way” is by far the way to go.

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2018/5/15/17356256/ravens-gm-eric-decosta-states-baltimore-has-emulated-the-steelers-approach-to-business-nfl-news

Steel Maniac
05-15-2018, 04:26 PM
Ravens finally admitting that they are just hanging on our jock straps. They've copied us since their inception. Black and Purple to our Black and Gold...etc. etc. etc.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
05-15-2018, 06:02 PM

Because (unlilke us) they don't trust their own system to develop a backup QB?