PDA

View Full Version : Running: Negative 2 inches last week; 10 kazillion yards this week ... reason?

SanAntonioSteelerFan
10-15-2017, 07:36 PM
DId the Jags have an awesome D line against the run? (No they did not, based on their performance for the first 4 weeks, they were ranked last).

DId KC have a horrible D line against the run? (Anyone know?).

Was there any real reason for how much better we ran this week?

Or is it all random?!

BURGH86STEEL
10-15-2017, 07:44 PM
I suspect the Jags are a bigger more physical D-line than the Cheifs. I think the Jags have better players on their Dline than the Chiefs. The Steelers Oline isn't a physical/blow you off the ball type of Oline. The Steelers are a more finesse pulling type of Oline. The Jags played the Steelers run differently than the Chiefs. Jags played 4 Dlinemen and 8 men in the box. The Chiefs played 2 Dlinemen and 7 men in the box. The Steelers seemed to have most of their success vs that Chiefs 2 Dlinemen alignment.

The Steelers offense had success vs the Chiefs and the Jags. They struggled to put points on the board vs both defenses. The offense needs to score TD's. Hopefully the offense can get better in that area.

Mr.wizard
10-15-2017, 07:50 PM
We played bad last week.

pittpete
10-15-2017, 10:53 PM
If you listened to Tony Romo during the game, he broke it down.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
10-15-2017, 11:18 PM

What did he say about that?

pittpete
10-15-2017, 11:21 PM
He was talking about KC defensive personnel on every down.
He was able to call when we would pass or run.
Pretty sure Ben calls two plays in the huddle and can switch depending on what he sees defensively.

Starlifter
10-15-2017, 11:25 PM

I thoroughly enjoyed his commentary. Phil Simms had become insufferable. Romo was extremely entertaining - even talking about Ben having to use the bathroom.

as to the OP: I don't think KC's line is as physical as the Jags - and they certainly didn't crowd the LOS like Jacksonville did. The jags dared us to throw - we accommodated them and Ben had a terrible game. Today however we were winning the battles at the LOS, Decastro had an outstanding performance and there you have it.

pittpete
10-15-2017, 11:30 PM
Yes Romo is pretty awesome and knowledgeable

RuthlessBurgher
10-16-2017, 10:17 AM
Today however we were winning the battles at the LOS, Decastro had an outstanding performance and there you have it.

I thought the board had already written off DeCastro last week as nothing more than Jarvis Jones 2.0?

DeCastro has always been my guy...that draft year, I was hoping that we'd buck history and trade up to get him, so when he actually fell into our laps, I was utterly overjoyed.

NorthCoast
10-16-2017, 12:47 PM
As I posted elsewhere, while I give DeCastro props for a very nice game, it was the reappearance of Gilbert that was the key IMO. I will wait for some breakdown analysis this week to see if that's confirmed.

ikestops85
10-16-2017, 02:04 PM
He was talking about KC defensive personnel on every down.
He was able to call when we would pass or run.
Pretty sure Ben calls two plays in the huddle and can switch depending on what he sees defensively.

As much as I disliked Romo as a player I like him as an announcer. It was kinda cool listening to him dissect the defensive formation and then telling you what the offense was going to do. Or should I say what they should do? Even when it was 2nd and 9 he saw what formation KC lined up in and he said we need to run the ball. We did and Bell ripped off a 7 yard gain. It was really interesting.

feltdizz
10-16-2017, 02:28 PM
As much as I disliked Romo as a player I like him as an announcer. It was kinda cool listening to him dissect the defensive formation and then telling you what the offense was going to do. Or should I say what they should do? Even when it was 2nd and 9 he saw what formation KC lined up in and he said we need to run the ball. We did and Bell ripped off a 7 yard gain. It was really interesting.

I like Romo as well but I'm not really a fan of predicting runs and passes before plays. I mean, it's 50/50 to begin with so I'm not really that impressed. I will say sometimes when he sees a formation and predicts the actual play it's fun but just for a few then it gets old.

skyhawk
10-16-2017, 08:04 PM
I suspect the Jags are a bigger more physical D-line than the Cheifs. I think the Jags have better players on their Dline than the Chiefs. The Steelers Oline isn't a physical/blow you off the ball type of Oline. The Steelers are a more finesse pulling type of Oline. The Jags played the Steelers run differently than the Chiefs. Jags played 4 Dlinemen and 8 men in the box. The Chiefs played 2 Dlinemen and 7 men in the box. The Steelers seemed to have most of their success vs that Chiefs 2 Dlinemen alignment.

The Steelers offense had success vs the Chiefs and the Jags. They struggled to put points on the board vs both defenses. The offense needs to score TD's. Hopefully the offense can get better in that area.

I agree.

The Jags are loaded with talent on D. So are the Chefs to a degree. But they got flat out dominated other than the fact that all we do is rack up yards (and thankfully TOP) but can't score worth a crap.

Bell and Brown have set an NFL record for most yards as a tandem thru first 6 games. There also must be a record for most yards gained and fewest TD's scored. :(

Starlifter
10-16-2017, 08:12 PM
I thought the board had already written off DeCastro last week as nothing more than Jarvis Jones 2.0?

DeCastro has always been my guy...that draft year, I was hoping that we'd buck history and trade up to get him, so when he actually fell into our laps, I was utterly overjoyed.

until this week the O-line has not put together a complete game nor imposed their will on anyone. That's not writing them off or saying Decastro is overrated - it's an honest evaluation (albeit from amateurs) about the season so far. Decastro has been excellent from the beginning, a few bad games doesn't change that. I also think there's a very fine line in the NFL between excellence and the dog heap - and I recognize having Foster and Gilbert out and using backups may screw with the timing just enough that the dropoff is noticeable. But there has been a dropoff nonetheless - and saying so doesn't mean I think our O-Line is a bunch of scrubs or Jarvis 2.0. It just means they haven't been getting the job done. Which is something I believe Decastro himself has said recently.

Starlifter
10-16-2017, 08:15 PM

I thought he brought an exuberance to the booth that was refreshing. I know other guys get excited, fouts and collinsworth come to mind - but it really came across how much he's enjoying himself. And I found that infectious.

RuthlessBurgher
10-17-2017, 10:25 AM
until this week the O-line has not put together a complete game nor imposed their will on anyone. That's not writing them off or saying Decastro is overrated - it's an honest evaluation (albeit from amateurs) about the season so far. Decastro has been excellent from the beginning, a few bad games doesn't change that. I also think there's a very fine line in the NFL between excellence and the dog heap - and I recognize having Foster and Gilbert out and using backups may screw with the timing just enough that the dropoff is noticeable. But there has been a dropoff nonetheless - and saying so doesn't mean I think our O-Line is a bunch of scrubs or Jarvis 2.0. It just means they haven't been getting the job done. Which is something I believe Decastro himself has said recently.

Jarvis was the comparison made last week when talking about DeCastro, though. I don't recall specifically who made it. It was probably done sarcastically anyway.

fordfixer
10-17-2017, 02:30 PM
Jarvis was the comparison made last week when talking about DeCastro, though. I don't recall specifically who made it. It was probably done sarcastically anyway.
Don’t you mean DeBustro?:D

SanAntonioSteelerFan
10-17-2017, 06:12 PM
DeCastro last week vs. this week were two different people.

Gives hope that the O-line will be able to keep that run-blocking skill they demonstrated against KC.

feltdizz
10-18-2017, 09:33 AM
we ran more than the same draw play this week but I also think Nix was the real difference. I saw him blow up a few people to spring Bell. It so much fun to watch Bell run when the OL is doing their thing