PDA

View Full Version : Why do we keep Mitchell on this squad?

Furious
10-15-2017, 06:35 PM
Always late on his hits with a usual coinciding flag that sets this team back. He is garbage with poor instincts.

fordfixer
10-15-2017, 07:32 PM
Always late on his hits with a usual coinciding flag that sets this team back. He is garbage with poor instincts.
Just to keep you Furious

SanAntonioSteelerFan
10-15-2017, 07:37 PM
He almost cost us the game. If our D hadn't held strong then ...

Shoe
10-15-2017, 07:39 PM
I'm not even talk about the yardage on the penalty. The fact that he did that to Smith is despicable. That hit probably should've blown Alex's knee out, and ended KC's entire season to boot.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
10-15-2017, 07:45 PM
I asked on another thread if he should be called this year's Burfict.

Mr.wizard
10-15-2017, 07:46 PM

Really? That was his first penalty of the season.

Eddie Spaghetti
10-15-2017, 07:57 PM
that hit on smith is as bushleague as it gets

indefensible even by his fans here you would think

feltdizz
10-15-2017, 07:58 PM
I missed the hit. How many late hits does Mitchell have this year?

Mr.wizard
10-15-2017, 08:01 PM
that hit on smith is as bushleague as it gets

indefensible even by his fans here you would think

He looked like he got pushed in the back by Chickillo, he even tried to pull up as you see him going down with his hands in the air. Even after Smith got up and was screaming at him you see Mitchell telling him that it wasn't intentional.

Mr.wizard
10-15-2017, 08:01 PM
I missed the hit. How many late hits does Mitchell have this year?

That was his first one.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
10-15-2017, 08:04 PM
He looked like he got pushed in the back by Chickillo, he even tried to pull up as you see him going down with his hands in the air. Even after Smith got up and was screaming at him you see Mitchell telling him that it wasn't intentional.

Can't wait to see replay, I hope you're right.

Mr.wizard
10-15-2017, 08:08 PM
Can't wait to see replay, I hope you're right.

https://sportsnaut.com/2017/10/watch-mike-mitchell-lays-incredibly-dirty-hit-alex-smith/

You can watch it here.

Steelwolf
10-15-2017, 08:11 PM
Was hills hit at the end avoidable??? Looked like a bang bang

Mr.wizard
10-15-2017, 08:13 PM
Was hills hit at the end avoidable??? Looked like a bang bang

Which hit?

Ghost
10-15-2017, 08:20 PM
Anyone who thinks Mitchell is the same as Burfict is an imbecile. I hope he keeps bringing big hits.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
10-15-2017, 08:22 PM
https://sportsnaut.com/2017/10/watch-mike-mitchell-lays-incredibly-dirty-hit-alex-smith/

You can watch it here.

Watched it about 6 or 7 times.

I think he felt the push on his shoulder by his teammate, *maybe* got pushed forward to the ground (but I think he could have easily stayed upright if he wanted). But at that point the main thing is he could have fallen *anywhere* but on the back of Smith's leg. But he chose to land there, Yes, it looked like a choice.

That's how I see it.

Steelwolf
10-15-2017, 08:27 PM
Which hit?

The punt return for kc at the end

Furious
10-15-2017, 08:27 PM
I'm not even talk about the yardage on the penalty. The fact that he did that to Smith is despicable. That hit probably should've blown Alex's knee out, and ended KC's entire season to boot.

He's a liability and should be on Cindy's roster. That kind of dirty play isn't deserving of the uniform he wears.

Mr.wizard
10-15-2017, 08:31 PM

Watched it about 6 or 7 times.

I think he felt the push on his shoulder by his teammate, *maybe* got pushed forward to the ground (but I think he could have easily stayed upright if he wanted). But at that point the main thing is he could have fallen *anywhere* but on the back of Smith's leg. But he chose to land there, Yes, it looked like a choice.

That's how I see it.

He actually goes down straight ahead Smith starts to run backward right into the path.

Mr.wizard
10-15-2017, 08:32 PM
The punt return for kc at the end

If Hill is on his feet in bounds then I think you have to hit him.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
10-15-2017, 08:38 PM
He actually goes down straight ahead Smith starts to run backward right into the path.

I see what you are saying. Yeah, you have a great point. I think he's gonna get zapped by the league on Tue, but I think it's not clearcut that he was aiming to hurt Smith or land on his legs.

Coolie Man
10-15-2017, 08:40 PM
Captain Bad Angle

Furious
10-15-2017, 08:42 PM
Anyone who thinks Mitchell is the same as Burfict is an imbecile. I hope he keeps bringing big hits.

Laying wood is one thing but this guy is more interested in hurting someone rather than making the smart play. Please tell me that I am not the only Steelers fan that has seen a ball thrown his direction that could of been his pick, instead he put a hit on the intended receiver.

Mr.wizard
10-15-2017, 08:42 PM
I see what you are saying. Yeah, you have a great point. I think he's gonna get zapped by the league on Tue, but I think it's not clearcut that he was aiming to hurt Smith or land on his legs.

Ya I agree, I think he probably gets hit with a fine because of the way it looked and they want protect the QB, but it doesn't look to me like anything dirty.

Shoe
10-15-2017, 08:45 PM

You guys seriously must be talking about a different play (although I know you're not).

Mr.wizard
10-15-2017, 08:47 PM
Laying wood is one thing but this guy is more interested in hurting someone rather than making the smart play. Please tell me that I am not the only Steelers fan that has seen a ball thrown his direction that could of been his pick, instead he put a hit on the intended receiver.

Mitchell makes a lot of different plays but he is an enforcer, that's why we have him and that's what we want him to do.

Mr.wizard
10-15-2017, 08:51 PM
You guys seriously must be talking about a different play (although I know you're not).

I watched it like 20 times, in regular speed it looks bad, but when you slow it down you can see what happened.

Steelhere10
10-15-2017, 08:56 PM
The agenda crew is out! He was pushed by Chik, man you fans are bad.

Shoe
10-15-2017, 09:07 PM
What are you talking about? I have no agenda, other than that of a Steeler fan. I'm not even a guy who hates on Mitchell on the regular. Nothing against Mitchell... except whatever I've ever seen of him in a Steeler uniform. And I've seen him take shots on guys (he's a hard-hitter type, in a league where that's not tolerated anymore) that can be seen as dirty. Even today, I think I remember him going helmet-to-helmet on another play that wasn't called.

The guy is like Burfict, in the fact that he seems to like to hurt guys.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
10-15-2017, 09:07 PM
The agenda crew is out! He was pushed by Chik, man you fans are bad.

Not sure which side you are on, but people can sometimes have an opinion without having an agenda, you know that right? ;-)

Furious
10-15-2017, 10:25 PM
Mitchell makes a lot of different plays but he is an enforcer, that's why we have him and that's what we want him to do.

Ed Reed was also an enforcer, a ball hawk and a film room junkie. Nothing wrong with having a higher expectation from the position. Ryan Clark had a great couple of years at the position and knew when to lay them wood and when to go for the pick... at least from my vantage point, MM's only agenda is to lay an explosive hit, regardless of the outcome. JMHO

pittpete
10-15-2017, 10:35 PM
Notice how the Mitchell lovers dont even talk about the missed sack...LOL
Guy is trash

feltdizz
10-15-2017, 10:44 PM
I watched the link. It’s borderline. I will say.. some of you really dislike Steeler players. Smh. Definitely wasn’t nearly as bad as described in the OP.

Furious
10-15-2017, 11:07 PM
I have been away from this board for quite some time. Lots of you I have met in person and found most of you cut from the same rabid terrible towel cloth. I have no agenda, but yes I share the opinion that our starting FS is a moron. And by moron, I mean he can and should play with more intelligence and self discipline. You can be an enforcer without hurting your team in a key point of the game.

I am old enough to have watched the great Steelers of old, so when I think of enforcer the ultimate was Jack Lambert... different time, different game. Got away with a lot of intimidating hits and even more intimidating in-your face taunts. But I never remembered Jack celebrating a hit when his team was losing (like MM in the Jax game). This is yet another example of why I personally don't like him on the team.

pittpete
10-15-2017, 11:17 PM
My sentiments exactly Furious..I don't want to dislike players on my team but sometimes they need to be called out.
I'd rather see a Sean Davis play deeper and a Wilcox play closer to the line.
Mitchell is just a chest thumping average NFL safety in my opinion.
Over the years there havn't been many players that iv'e disliked more than Mitchell.
Anthony Smith, Scott Shields and Mark Malone come to mind...LOL

Steelhere10
10-16-2017, 08:07 AM
Not sure which side you are on, but people can sometimes have an opinion without having an agenda, you know that right? ;-)
You are correct sir, but when people blame Mitchell for Ben 5 int and the offense last week, then you will see where I'm coming from.

Steelhere10
10-16-2017, 08:14 AM
What are you talking about? I have no agenda, other than that of a Steeler fan. I'm not even a guy who hates on Mitchell on the regular. Nothing against Mitchell... except whatever I've ever seen of him in a Steeler uniform. And I've seen him take shots on guys (he's a hard-hitter type, in a league where that's not tolerated anymore) that can be seen as dirty. Even today, I think I remember him going helmet-to-helmet on another play that wasn't called.

The guy is like Burfict, in the fact that he seems to like to hurt guys.

Not to take nothing away from you, but the shot you are talking about , yes hit made Helment ti Helment but it's not like he lead with his head like Hines was famous for. But let me guess you loved Hines W because he was a tough WR.

Steelhere10
10-16-2017, 08:16 AM
And remember they just changed that rule last year when Shazier did it in the Playoffs against Cincinnati, so players yet again have to adjust.

feltdizz
10-16-2017, 09:19 AM
You are correct sir, but when people blame Mitchell for Ben 5 int and the offense last week, then you will see where I'm coming from.

it's disgusting. Folks definitely have an agenda when it comes to MM. They just don't like him.

They don't like MM, don't like Bell, don't like Bryant... lol. Only thing they like is talking about retired players who played the game the right way.

There are a lot of "get off my lawn.... back in my day...I'm old enough to remember..." fans on here.

Only time they are happy is when they are unhappy with a player. lol

Steelhere10
10-16-2017, 09:30 AM
it's disgusting. Folks definitely have an agenda when it comes to MM. They just don't like him.

They don't like MM, don't like Bell, don't like Bryant... lol. Only thing they like is talking about retired players who played the game the right way.

There are a lot of "get off my lawn.... back in my day...I'm old enough to remember..." fans on here.

Only time they are happy is when they are unhappy with a player. lol

Couldn’t have said it better.

feltdizz
10-16-2017, 09:35 AM
Couldn’t have said it better.

AB's selfish, Bell is selfish, Bryant is selfish, MM is an idiot...

Ben throws 5 picks..."damn you mike mitchell"

Decastro holds... "damn you bell for being greedy"

one dude said he sat for the whole 4th quarter after Mitchells celebration after a hit downfield. 5 INT's but THAT was what made a fan sit in silence for the 4th quarter?

OK.

Steelhere10
10-16-2017, 09:50 AM
Lol. ..............................

RuthlessBurgher
10-16-2017, 11:15 AM
AB's selfish, Bell is selfish, Bryant is selfish, MM is an idiot...

Ben throws 5 picks..."damn you mike Mitchell"

Decastro holds... "damn you bell for being greedy"

one dude said he sat for the whole 4th quarter after Mitchells celebration after a hit downfield. 5 INT's but THAT was what made a fan sit in silence for the 4th quarter?

OK.

That was me. I wrote two long stream of consciousness posts last week after that extraordinarily frustrating loss at home to Jacksonville. My first post was blasting Haley's play calling that frustrated me all game long. I thought the O.C.'s stupidity was the primary reason for the loss, and Ben's execution on the field (similar to Tommy Maddox vs. the Texans once upon a time) was certainly a primary contributor as well. Here is what I wrote about that (and you even replied that it was an excellent post shortly thereafter):

The only time we tried drive blocking is when we brought in that stupid heavy package with B.J. Finney as a tackle eligible, two TE, plus a FB formation that totally telegraphs what you are trying to do, so the opposing defense can load up in the box to stop you. There is no need to worry about the pass, since all of our pass catching weapons on offense are standing on the sideline instead of on the field, so just load up to stop the run.

Every other rush was a draw play to Bell. The OL doesn't get to fire off their blocks on a draw. They must fall back as if we were passing the ball to sell the fake, and then try to run block from there.

On the drive in to Pittsburgh, I was telling my father that the first month's worth of statistics have shown that these two teams have two of the best pass defenses in the league but also two of the worst run defenses in the world, so we may just be watching Bell and Fournette run up and down the field. Well, I was half right. Apparently only one team got that memo. Passing 55 times and running 20 times is simply inexcusable. It wasn't as if we were playing catchup all game and had to throw. As you said in the original post, we had already thrown the ball 20 times more than we ran it before the first interception happened.

It is possible to keep your best personnel grouping on the field (Brown and Bryant as outside receivers, Juju in the slot on one side at Jesse at TE on the other side...both are excellent blocking options...and Bell in a single back with Ben under center, rather than in the shotgun all time) and have the option to drive block straight ahead, pull a G/C for outside runs, run delayed draw plays, have play action possiblilities, quick screen pass options, 3-step/5-step/7-step drop backs, or roll him out of the pocket. Everything is potentially available to you here, and the defense has to be ready for any of that, as opposed to those extra OL/2 TE/FB formations where the defense knows you aren't passing and only has to defend one thing or the plays where Bell motions out of the backfield leaving an empty set so the defense knows you aren't running and only has to defend one thing.

After that, I also felt the need to make my feelings about Mitchell known as well. I even acknowledged early on in this post that Haley and Ben were the primary reasons for this particular loss, but Mitchell's behavior set me off in that stands that day. Here is what I wrote about that:

This absolutely infuriated me.

Yeah, I realize that this game was lost primarily because of Ben's interceptions and Haley's stubbornness in calling for 55 passes vs. one of stingiest pass defenses in the league and only 20 rushes vs. one of the most generous rush defenses in the league.

But this just set me off. Up to this point, I was still screaming for the defense as I normally do at all home games. But once Mitchell was prancing around after his defense gave up yet another big run for a first down in a game where they were losing to Jacksonville at home, I stopped yelling for the defense and starting yelling at the defense. You are getting shredded by a run game who only felt the need to pass the ball ONE TIME IN THE ENTIRE SECOND HALF because they were marching up and down the field at will against you on the ground. And yet you feel that is an opportune time to preen and get up in your opponent's face. Fournette should have been laughing at you right to your face there...he had every right to at that moment.

This was Mitchell's Anthony Smith moment, worthy of your D.C. coming onto the field and pulling you off of it by your facemask. Mitchell isn't some clueless rookie or second year player, either. He's an established vet who should know better. But he doesn't, and likely never will.

Some may say that he was just showing emotion out there on a day where we needed more emotion, but celebrating and trash talking following yet another play that was a failure for your defense in a day that you losing on our home field...that something that a loser does. A winner would have been seething that they gave up yet another first down on yet another big run play, not preening.

I spent the final quarter of the game in silence seething while the rain came down. The only thing that finally make me chuckle again was when the game was over and we were walking out of the stadium as Led Zepplin's "Fool in the Rain" was playing over the loudspeakers. Totally appropriate.

When you are at the game, you scream when our team is on defense. You are quiet when our team is on offense. I'm not someone who is going to boo my own team at a game, even with how poorly this particular game was unfolding for Haley and Ben. I'm just not. The only booing that I ever do is if a ref makes an egregious call, or I might boo some clown on another team like Burfict or Pac Man. Mitchell's stupid peacock response was just the straw the broke the camel's back for me, with Haley and Ben also certainly being primary factors in my late game seething as well. It just so happened that we were on defense at that time (obviously) so Mitchell’s display after the defense gave up yet another first down on a long run to Fournette changed the way I was behaving when the defense was on the field (going from my usual screaming to my silent seething). I was also silently seething when the offense was on the field as well, by the way, but since I am typically quiet during those times anyway, there wasn't much of an observable difference in my behavior during that time.