PDA

View Full Version : Haley needs to go

pittpete
10-09-2017, 07:47 PM
This buffoon is definitely part of the problem.

squidkid
10-09-2017, 07:57 PM
part, not all.
firing him would only be a diversion to the bigger problems(ben, bell AB, OL and tomlin)
it wouldnt stop ben from olu throwing to mAB even when diouble and tripl covered
wouldnt stop AB from crying
wont stop bell being only about bell
wont make tomlin hold anyone accountable(players or coaches)

we just have to ride this ****storm out and see if ben can turn this team around.
he is the only individual that can change our team situation this season

Terrapin
10-09-2017, 08:06 PM
Haley and Tomlin both need to go.

Shoe
10-09-2017, 08:20 PM
I have consistently defended Haley, from all the haters throughout the years. Especially in those early years post-Arians, I thought (and still think) that he was a positive for Rothlisberger, keeping him healthy this long. I must say though, that in 2017, he has shown how not-great he is as a coordinator. He is a run-of-the-mill guy in other words, when I thought he was more than that. Because honestly, I think a trained chimp could run this offense. The offense cobbles together drives. Very little is efficient about it. Off the top of my head, take a 3rd and short sometime during yesterday's game. When I think of that down/distance, I know Tom Brady will pick it up and then some. Same with Rodgers, same with Brees, etc. They have skillful, well-designed play-calls for that and hundreds of situations. Yesterday, ours (the one I'm recalling for this example) was Ben taking the snap, and just aiming a shot-put at Jesse James three yards in front of him. Was it a first down? Yes. Is that an example of a confident, efficient offense? He11 no.

When you are playing the last-ranked run defense with the "best RB" in the game or certainly one of them... and you end up throwing the ball 50+ times, it shows a lack of identity. I understand that they probably showed single-high safety probably all that time, which then said "Throw". I get that. But if that is the case--AND YOU HAVE ANTONIO BROWN ON ONE SIDE AND MARTAVIS BRYANT ON THE OTHER--it should be pitch-and-catch all day long.

Much of that is obviously on Ben, but even if that is the case... you have Le'veon Bell to fall back on, to minimize the inconsistency. When we are in the red-zone, why are we in spread formation as a predominate formation? Why basically give up the run option, when you have two stud WR already in the game? Why not stay in a traditional formation? Seriously, a trained monkey could run this show.

Terrapin
10-09-2017, 08:43 PM
An out and up from the 4 yard line was something to behold

MCHammer
10-09-2017, 09:09 PM
Haley is definitely not having a great year and to be honest, I was not a fan of him when he was hired. But I've come to believe that Ben is the real problem with the play calling. For years, and that includes the Arians regime, this team has had a sandlot quality to its offensive play calling that just defies explanation unless the bottom line is this is how Ben wants to play. I guess what I am saying is that in many games we just seem to be taking shots rather than implementing any sort of systematic offensive game plan.

In a semi-defense of Haley's play calling Sunday, a lot of attention on the post-game radio talk was that he did not call enough run plays against the league's worst rushing defense. That may be true, but Jacksonville didn't play like the worst rushing defense on Sunday. Maybe he did not get the ball enough, but when he got it, Bell was held in check.

Steel Maniac
10-09-2017, 10:10 PM
Management needs to seriously consider getting some new eyes in that coaching group.

Eich
10-09-2017, 10:32 PM
I don’t hate Haley but I’m ready for a change.

pfelix73
10-09-2017, 10:40 PM
Agreed, there needs to be a change. He baffles me at times. Yea, last week come hell or high water, they ran the ball. Yesterday, not so much...

skyhawk
10-10-2017, 02:14 AM
That Jax defense has a few big time players. Their poor run D run rank is sorta blown outta proportion. That D made some plays and held the running game in check.

I really feel the entire offense played poorly. Not just Ben. And the running game will struggle with Hubbard and Villanueva playing sub-par football for starting tackles. We really miss Gilbert - likely one of the best OTs in the game the past 2 seasons.

Both Steeler lines got flat out dominated. I know the D had to try to defend after many turnovers, but they did not rise to the occasion either.

BURGH86STEEL
10-10-2017, 02:25 AM
People need to be careful getting caught up in rankings and statistics when teams face off against one another.

The offense did some good things. The offense moved the ball well at times passing the ball. Many of the passes early in the game were screens, pass plays designed as an extension of the run game, and to aid a struggling Ben. I suspect that the Steelers wanted to get a bigger lead and then run the ball.

feltdizz
10-10-2017, 08:24 AM
Well, we did a lot of no huddle yesterday and still ended up kicking FG's.

IMO we abandoned the run too early. Ben also sucks in the RZ. Always has and always will. Dude just can't get it done right now. Seems hesitant and until he trust himself we will continue to see this nonsense on offense.

While I hate bubble screens and wonder if Haley is the problem I also need to see another QB use these weapons with Haley to see if it's the OC or if Ben is playing sandlot ball right now.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
10-10-2017, 09:33 AM
An out and up from the 4 yard line was something to behold

That, to me, was the most unbelievable of calls. Especially on a play that was designed to only go that way with no other options.

BURGH86STEEL
10-10-2017, 09:39 AM
That, to me, was the most unbelievable of calls. Especially on a play that was designed to only go that way with no other options.
That was probably Ben and Brown doing their thing in the hopes of getting a PI call.

Sword
10-10-2017, 09:56 AM
Haley and Tomlin both need to go.

I agree, this was the last year for me with Tomlin ...he has to go as well.....

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
10-10-2017, 03:58 PM
That was probably Ben and Brown doing their thing in the hopes of getting a PI call.

Don't know who it was, but whoever was responsible for that play call made a seriously bad call.

phillyesq
10-10-2017, 05:28 PM
You have the highest paid RB in the game, highest paid WR (or close), Martavis Bryant, a second round WR, a $50 million offensive line, and yet the offense is not even middle of the pack. Ben may not be what we was in his prime, but he's still, at worst, a league average QB. This offense is under achieving. At some point, the offensive coordinator needs to take responsibility for that. And I think we are quickly approaching that point.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
10-10-2017, 07:29 PM
You have the highest paid RB in the game, highest paid WR (or close), Martavis Bryant, a second round WR, a $50 million offensive line, and yet the offense is not even middle of the pack. Ben may not be what we was in his prime, but he's still, at worst, a league average QB. This offense is under achieving. At some point, the offensive coordinator needs to take responsibility for that. And I think we are quickly approaching that point.

Not to take away at all from your well-made larger point, but personally I'm witholding judgement on that highlighted statement until after the KC game. I think that will be a season-defining game, win or lose, in terms of seeing "where Ben is at". I think he'll pull through and play pretty well, and frankly, even if we lose, I would be ecstatic with that outcome .... to me it would mean #7 Lombardi is still within reach this year.

If he plays out of his mind, but in a bad way like against JAX ... man, I can't even think of that :(

Oviedo
10-10-2017, 08:06 PM
Ben's piss poor execution and decision making has been the problem. The first pick six he threw was forcing the ball to AB. The Jags studied the film and dropped perfectly into coverage

feltdizz
10-10-2017, 09:55 PM
Ben's piss poor execution and decision making has been the problem. The first pick six he threw was forcing the ball to AB. The Jags studied the film and dropped perfectly into coverage

Everyone has the tape on us. I’m pretty sure this is the NE strategy being used by other teams this year.

Everyone is defending us the same way. Sit back and let Ben force it.

williar
10-11-2017, 11:14 AM
Yeah-Right! Just like-Whisenhunt, just like- Arians, just like- Haley, just like _____________ (insert the next name!) The problem is the execution.

williar
10-11-2017, 02:37 PM
I just had to make another post. I was feeling kind of creepy with my post number stuck on the three s-i-x-e-s

feltdizz
10-11-2017, 02:39 PM
last year when this offense was on a roll Ben and Haley had no problem admitting Ben has total control of what plays he wants to run in this offense. All a sudden now it's Haleys offense and Ben is just a robot?

Nope..

it's all on Ben.

williar
10-11-2017, 02:45 PM
Arians said the same thing when he was the OC! Ben is a 15-year veteran. You can't still be blaming the OC. The only thing that has remained consistent during his entire tenure is himself! The OC's have changed but Ben's quarterbacking style hasn't. Go figure!