PDA

View Full Version : This rookie Hilton - dang, where did he come from?

SanAntonioSteelerFan
10-01-2017, 09:22 PM
One pic, one sack, lots of tackles (no misses?). Someone said he was an undrafted FA. True? Either way ... wow!

birtikidis
10-01-2017, 09:43 PM
Ole Miss. Didn't he play with Gholston? Bill Belicheck cut him before we signed him.

ikestops85
10-02-2017, 10:38 AM
Ole Miss. Didn't he play with Gholston? Bill Belicheck cut him before we signed him.

That makes it doubly sweet because it looks like Belichick could use him with how bad their defense is playing.

phillyesq
10-02-2017, 10:40 AM
If Golson was on the field, I couldn't imagine him playing better than Hilton is right now. Even though Golson was a huge miss due to the injuries, Hilton, his teammate, has more than made up for it.

Aside from a few issues yesterday, it was great to see that there was generally a defender contesting most catches.

RuthlessBurgher
10-02-2017, 10:54 AM
That's my guy...from the "name your surprise break out player of the year" thread back on 7/17/17 before our players even reported to Latroble...

Okay, folks...I'm back from my week long trek to Alaska (amazing trip, by the way...drank water from a glacier, kissed a moose and everything)...

With camp now only 10 days away, I gotta revive this prediction thread and take my shot here.

I'm hearing some very positive things about tiny DB Mike Hilton.

I'm predicting that this 5'9" 184 lbs. former UDFA (who spent camp last year with Jacksonville last August, then was on New England's practice squad for only 1 week last September, before ultimately landing on our P.S. in mid-December) not only makes the final 53, but I also see him beating out wily vet Will Gay, free agent signing Coty Sensabaugh, rookie 3rd round pick Cam Sutton, and former Ole Miss teammate Senquez Golson for the starting slot corner position between Artie Burns and Ross Cockrell.

I see him being the defensive equivalent of what undersized UDFA Eli Rogers gave us in the slot last year on offense.

How's that for a prediction?

http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/showthread.php/46707-Name-your-surprise-break-out-player-of-the-year/page3

Shawn
10-02-2017, 11:24 AM
That's my guy...from the "name your surprise break out player of the year" thread back on 7/17/17 before our players even reported to Latroble...

http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/showthread.php/46707-Name-your-surprise-break-out-player-of-the-year/page3 Dude, I have to hand it to you. Terrific prediction...cudos!

Oviedo
10-02-2017, 12:22 PM

http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/showthread.php/46707-Name-your-surprise-break-out-player-of-the-year/page3

You called it...no doubt!!!!

It's amazing what we have seen last two years with Butler getting young guys on the field and letting them play. It does work.

feltdizz
10-02-2017, 12:25 PM
How is that Gilmore deal working out for the Pats right now?

How smart does Billicheat look for cutting Ealy as well?

Steelhere10
10-02-2017, 12:29 PM

Nice job. Almost sounds like me lol jk

Iron City Inc.
10-02-2017, 02:04 PM
Hilton was showing signs at camp but he has improved big time since then. Gay now in rear view mirror. We all know how important corners are n since we are in nickle more then 50% of the time it is working out well.

Steel Maniac
10-02-2017, 07:25 PM
Hilton is a gem that we needed to find. He's making plays and we all know how bad we've been needing that from that position.

NJ-STEELER
10-03-2017, 02:36 AM
really good blitzing from the slot.

fast and doesn't over run the play

SteelCrazy
10-03-2017, 06:43 AM

Too bad you missed the Cockrell trade in that prediction.... Better luck next year

SteelCrazy
10-03-2017, 09:49 AM
What impressed me about the int. was his awareness to go down and not lose possession. Really liking this guy.

Northern_Blitz
10-03-2017, 10:11 AM
What impressed me about the int. was his awareness to go down and not lose possession. Really liking this guy.

Yep. I think most of the work for that pick was Shazier's. But Hilton kept his head, caught the tip, and went down without fumbling. That's exactly what you're supposed to do when you're in the right place at the right time.

Seems to be good at blitzing, which is also good. It will give the other QB another thing to worry about pre-snap.

Oviedo
10-03-2017, 10:49 AM
Hilton is indeed a great surprise and a team need those types of unexpected pluses during a season to win a championship.

I'm also interested to see what we do in the secondary when Sutton comes back. Thoughts?

feltdizz
10-03-2017, 11:10 AM
really good blitzing from the slot.

fast and doesn't over run the play

his blitzing is superb, I was worried about his coverage skills cause it seemed like blitzing was his main highlight in the preseason.

RuthlessBurgher
10-03-2017, 11:13 AM
Hilton is indeed a great surprise and a team need those types of unexpected pluses during a season to win a championship.

I'm also interested to see what we do in the secondary when Sutton comes back. Thoughts?

Burns and Haden will obviously remain our starting outside corners and Hilton will remain as our primary nickel back. Sutton should challenge Will Gay to be our primary dime back in the second half of the season after he comes back off of I.R., which seems likely, since teams have the option to take 2 players back from I.R. per year now.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
10-03-2017, 11:51 AM

I saw that too. Did you see him look back, see that there was pursuit, and he then slid down. Great awareness of the situation. Up 10 in the fourth and more important to hold onto the ball than risk losing it.

RuthlessBurgher
10-03-2017, 01:59 PM
If you want to get really technical, the smartest thing actually would have been for him to volleyball spike the ball into the ground rather than catching it, since it was 4th down and we would have had better field position at the original line of scrimmage, but you certainly can't fault a kid for making his first ever NFL interception.

Steelhere10
10-04-2017, 05:31 PM

I'm also interested to see what we do in the secondary when Sutton comes back. Thoughts?If he's showing signs in practice. ..... Bye Bye Gay to the bench. Then we will have speed all over the field.