PDA

View Full Version : What's it going to take for Bell to start getting yards?

SanAntonioSteelerFan
09-17-2017, 09:54 PM
To my eye, there are almost no holes for him to hit, and when there is one it seems like he's missing his turbo-instant-warp-drive mode.

It seemed better overall this week than last, to me.

What do you guys think? Rust? Have other teams figured out how to defend against Bell?

Captain Lemming
09-17-2017, 10:07 PM
To my eye, there are almost no holes for him to hit, and when there is one it seems like he's missing his turbo-instant-warp-drive mode.

It seemed better overall this week than last, to me.

What do you guys think? Rust? Have other teams figured out how to defend against Bell?

Hope it in not the latter.
His style is so unique, I have worried that I have wondered whether over time teams might figure him out.

pittpete
09-17-2017, 10:24 PM
https://cdn3.volusion.com/ghfyz.wgnwv/v/vspfiles/photos/RUB-699-2.jpg

feltdizz
09-18-2017, 07:02 AM
Lmao... now that's funny.

Iron City Inc.
09-18-2017, 07:51 AM
He looked close to breaking a couple of long ones yesterday and that was without AV for much of the game and against a very good Viking D. He should be better still next week.

The Man of Steel
09-18-2017, 07:54 AM
Hope it in not the latter.
His style is so unique, I have worried that I have wondered whether over time teams might figure him out.
Bell's running style is very unique and when you miss all of camp your offensive line can only practice with the types of backs you have on your roster like a James Connor for example. Maybe the issue is that the OL just hasn't practiced enough with Bell to adapt adequately to his unique running style.

SteelCrazy
09-18-2017, 08:09 AM
He's not in rhythm with the OLine. James C. came in and busted a 8-9 yarder and we never saw him again. Luckily yesterday the Vikings were heavily penalized and we really didn't need Bell to perform well. As the season wears on, Bell will get to where he needs to be or he'll wish he'd have signed the Steelers offer.

It's hard to tell what's going on right now because Bell is juking and stopping and accelerating like before, but the problem is hes getting tackled. It's because he is at about 85%. When he hits 100% he'll be rapping again and piling up yards.

feltdizz
09-18-2017, 08:51 AM
Bell's running style is very unique and when you miss all of camp your offensive line can only practice with the types of backs you have on your roster like a James Connor for example. Maybe the issue is that the OL just hasn't practiced enough with Bell to adapt adequately to his unique running style.

it's not like this is a new OL..

I just think teams are focusing on stopping Bell which should lead to more opportunities for other weapons on offense not named AB.

Steel Maniac
09-18-2017, 10:52 AM
Bell should look like himself against the Bears.

pittpete
09-18-2017, 11:18 AM
All jokes aside, i think some good ole competition might do it.
I was screaming for Connor to get put in the game at some point to pound and gash the Vikes.
An angry, concerned, competitive Bell might be just what the Doctor ordered.

Oviedo
09-18-2017, 11:20 AM
Get him involved in the short passing game and the defense will have to start backing off. Essentially use the pass to set up the run.

Oviedo
09-18-2017, 11:20 AM
it's not like this is a new OL..

I just think teams are focusing on stopping Bell which should lead to more opportunities for other weapons on offense not named AB.

As long as Ben quits forcing the ball to AB

feltdizz
09-18-2017, 01:21 PM
As long as Ben quits forcing the ball to AB

That's easier said than done. AB is always "open" so Ben is going to look for him first.

phillyesq
09-18-2017, 02:02 PM
I think part is that the scheme is a bit predictable. Did anybody not see that the first play would be a run up the middle for minimal gain? Bell has apparently said he likes running "big on big" - but I'd rather see more runs out of 3 WR sets. Heck, I'd even settle for 2 WR sets - drives me crazy to see Bryant taken off the field for some of those runs.

Another thing is that Bell doesn't look as quick. I saw him a few times running a pass pattern and he didn't look quick at all. He also doesn't seem as explosive either hitting the hole or coming out of his hesitation move.

Steel Maniac
09-18-2017, 03:44 PM
Get him involved in the short passing game and the defense will have to start backing off. Essentially use the pass to set up the run.

For some reason, they don't want to get him involved in that short passing game anymore.

RuthlessBurgher
09-18-2017, 04:05 PM
For some reason, they don't want to get him involved in that short passing game anymore.

He was targeted 10 times in the first 2 games and caught 7 passes so far.

feltdizz
09-18-2017, 04:11 PM
Bell is due... he's had a couple of nice plays that were called back due to penalties.

SteelCrazy
09-18-2017, 05:39 PM
Bell is due... he's had a couple of nice plays that were called back due to penalties.

Due? It's not like he hits a home run once a game. He needs to be consistent all game long. He's just not at 100 yet...

squidkid
09-18-2017, 07:28 PM
i like it.
his price tag is going down

pittpete
09-18-2017, 07:37 PM
Another thing is that Bell doesn't look as quick. I saw him a few times running a pass pattern and he didn't look quick at all. He also doesn't seem as explosive either hitting the hole or coming out of his hesitation move.

Might be playing not to get hurt.He knows he's going to get a huge contract next year even with a sub par year.

feltdizz
09-18-2017, 10:34 PM
Due? It's not like he hits a home run once a game. He needs to be consistent all game long. He's just not at 100 yet...

Huh? The question was about getting yards. He's had some nice runs that were called back due to penalties. Not really understanding your post. I never said anything about baseball or hitting home runs.

SteelCrazy
09-19-2017, 12:27 PM
Huh? The question was about getting yards. He's had some nice runs that were called back due to penalties. Not really understanding your post. I never said anything about baseball or hitting home runs.

No poopy. U said he's due and implied he would have had a good game if not for penalties, he's due. 2 plays called back for penalties is not going to give him a good game. Blah blah blah and so forth and so on....

feltdizz
09-19-2017, 02:10 PM
No poopy. U said he's due and implied he would have had a good game if not for penalties, he's due. 2 plays called back for penalties is not going to give him a good game. Blah blah blah and so forth and so on....

no.. just.. no.

you failed.

it's ok, next time just use the words in my post instead of trying to imply what they really mean.

we are used to seeing Bell have good games so saying he is due means he is due for a good game.

That's it, that's all.

Slapstick
09-19-2017, 04:40 PM
What's a good game ? 100 yards? Well, the two plays that were called back might have put him over the top...

flippy
09-19-2017, 06:19 PM
What's a good game ? 100 yards? Well, the two plays that were called back might have put him over the top...

Bell set the expectations pretty high for himself. I think we want 100 yards rushing and 100 yards receiving + 5 YPC + a TD or 2. Ridiculous expectations for anyone for sure. But then again, he wants to get paid like he produces at that level.

Steel Maniac
09-19-2017, 06:51 PM
If he gets 90 yards rushing and 30-40 yards receiving, that's a satisfactory day. After all, their are more guys on offense then him.

RuthlessBurgher
09-21-2017, 10:56 AM
Jeremy Fowler
ESPN Staff Writer

Le'Veon Bell has 6,188 scrimmage yards through 49 games - that currently sits fourth all-time through a player's first 50 games, according to Steelers game notes. If Bell records 107 or more yards in Chicago on Sunday, he would eclipse Eric Dickerson for third place.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
09-21-2017, 11:13 AM
108 yards please!

feltdizz
09-21-2017, 11:16 AM

I just want to see some chains move and a few splash plays that put the D on their heels.

We have enough weapons where Bell shouldn't have to get big yards every week for our offense to click.

maybe the OP has him in fantasy? lol

SanAntonioSteelerFan
09-21-2017, 11:46 AM
I just want to see some chains move and a few splash plays that put the D on their heels.

We have enough weapons where Bell shouldn't have to get big yards every week for our offense to click.

maybe the OP has him in fantasy? lol

That would be me (OP), no I don't actually!

But Bell getting yards means the other teams will have to cheat against the run, opening up the middle (or maybe deep?) for Ben more.

Maybe that's what actually happened these past two weeks?

feltdizz
09-21-2017, 11:51 AM
That would be me (OP), no I don't actually!

But Bell getting yards means the other teams will have to cheat against the run, opening up the middle (or maybe deep?) for Ben more.

Maybe that's what actually happened these past two weeks?

It felt like teams were selling out to stop Bell.. we just preferred bubble screens instead of crossing patterns in the Browns game.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
09-21-2017, 12:07 PM
It felt like teams were selling out to stop Bell.. we just preferred bubble screens instead of crossing patterns in the Browns game.

That's what it felt like to me too, too many bubble screens.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
09-21-2017, 01:02 PM
This is what Mike Tomlin said on Tuesday about the progress of the running game (From Labriola, "Asked and Answered" on Steelers app):

“I thought we took a significant step in terms of our run game. Not being highly penalized or not being as highly penalized like we were in Cleveland, it allowed us to maintain more balance in terms of the number of runs that we were able to call. We were able to get Le’Veon [Bell] a number of touches. I thought the only thing that our run game lacked was the splash play – the 25-yard run or the 35-yard run. That turns an 80-something-yard day for him to a 120-something-yard day for him. So, we’ll continue to work, and I’m sure that will come not only for him but for us. A large element of that is continuing to ensure our blocking on the perimeter. We’re doing a great job of getting hats on hats with our big people. We need to continue to grow in terms of identifying the people that we need to get blocked based on schemes on the perimeter and doing a good job of making sure that we have hats on hats so that the 6 and 8-yard runs have potential to be a 35-yard run and so forth.”

He seems to be emphasizing the blocking as much as anything else ...

feltdizz
09-21-2017, 02:56 PM
This is what Mike Tomlin said on Tuesday about the progress of the running game (From Labriola, "Asked and Answered" on Steelers app):

He seems to be emphasizing the blocking as much as anything else ...

sounds like Tomlin is saying Bell is due.. especially once you look at the penalties. Heh heh heh

Mr.wizard
09-21-2017, 06:49 PM
Of course he is due, I predict he goes off against the Bears.

NorthCoast
09-21-2017, 07:21 PM

He seems to be emphasizing the blocking as much as anything else ...It's actually a jab at TEs and WRs. Guys that can make a difference for outside runs.

fordfixer
09-21-2017, 09:16 PM
6 weeks of training camp

Steel Maniac
09-22-2017, 12:30 AM
I think this is the week we see the team we've come to expect to see on offense.

RuthlessBurgher
09-22-2017, 02:06 PM
Antonio Brown owns the Steeler record for most passes caught in his first 50 games with 236 receptions.

Le'Veon Bell will play his 50th game this Sunday. He currently has 234 career receptions.

If Bell catches 3 passes against the Bears this weekend, he will bypass AB for most catches in his first 50 games in team history.

feltdizz
09-22-2017, 02:12 PM
Antonio Brown owns the Steeler record for most passes caught in his first 50 games with 236 receptions.

Le'Veon Bell will play his 50th game this Sunday. He currently has 234 career receptions.

If Bell catches 3 passes against the Bears this weekend, he will bypass AB for most catches in his first 50 games in team history.

whoa.. yet some like to think it's different because he catches mostly dump offs. He still gets hit when he catches those passes and the yards aren't counted any different for the QB.

feltdizz
09-22-2017, 02:13 PM
Of course he is due, I predict he goes off against the Bears.

I know, but for some reason someone equated that statement to home runs because I said a few good runs were called back due to penalties.

When we get penalties on good runs it changes the play calling significantly, especially when we are backed inside our 10 yard line instead of on our 30.

Mr.wizard
09-22-2017, 05:28 PM
I know, but for some reason someone equated that statement to home runs because I said a few good runs were called back due to penalties.

When we get penalties on good runs it changes the play calling significantly, especially when we are backed inside our 10 yard line instead of on our 30.

Ya I saw his comment, it didn't make any sense, Bell is due for a good game because he has a track record of having good games. I thought he looked good against a very good Minnesota front last game, kept us in good down and distance and picked up first downs on short yardage. Where we haven't seen Bell as a factor is in the short passing game, once he gets that part of his game on track he is going to put up the numbers and our offense is going to take off.

Furious
09-24-2017, 11:24 AM
Bell set the expectations pretty high for himself. I think we want 100 yards rushing and 100 yards receiving + 5 YPC + a TD or 2. Ridiculous expectations for anyone for sure. But then again, he wants to get paid like he produces at that level.

Bingo Flippy... when your assertion is that your talent merits a humongous elevation in pay because you basically operate equivalent to two players when you step onto the field, then showing up to camp late to hammer your point... You better have the ability meet or supersede your most. With that, I hope that he gets his rhythm and starts producing.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
09-24-2017, 12:08 PM
Bingo Flippy... when your assertion is that your talent merits a humongous elevation in pay because you basically operate equivalent to two players when you step onto the field, then showing up to camp late to hammer your point... You better have the ability meet or supersede your most. With that, I hope that he gets his rhythm and starts producing.

I'll see your "Bingo Flippy" and raise you one "Pokey Gumby"!

"Alex, I'll take 1960's non-human TV series stars for $12MM".

JK, seriously though I agree ... Mr. Bell isn't making his point well at all. Not that he'll be hurting ($12MM isn't pocket change), but his preseason gamble about what his perceived net worth by the league at the end of the season would be was certainly a high risk one. I actually hope his faith in his future 2017 performance turns out to be justified ... makes a Lombardi #7 even more likely, IMO!

SanAntonioSteelerFan
09-24-2017, 10:03 PM
The same question this week as last, and the one before that. What's it going to take for him to get yards. Are they cheating at the line, stacking the box?

Has he lost quad strength? No explosions this year ... just dragged down like an other RB.

RuthlessBurgher
10-03-2017, 10:34 AM
ESPN Stats and Information

The Steelers improved to 23-3 when Le'Veon Bell gets at least 20 rushes in a game, and 10-15 when he doesn't.

feltdizz
10-03-2017, 11:12 AM
ESPN Stats and Information

The Steelers improved to 23-3 when Le'Veon Bell gets at least 20 rushes in a game, and 10-15 when he doesn't.

we were pinned inside the 10 and kept getting penalties after positive plays in the first 2 games.

I think we should be able to build on last game.