PDA

View Full Version : LJ Fort to be Released

NorthCoast
09-11-2017, 08:35 PM
according to media in Texas:

https://twitter.com/AaronWilson_NFL/status/907347418563444736

Also Texans to work out Cobi Hamilton....

Oviedo
09-12-2017, 08:34 AM
Got to be something more to this. Being released after week #1, especially when they already released another ILB in Johnson

feltdizz
09-12-2017, 08:45 AM
Got to be something more to this. Being released after week #1, especially when they already released another ILB in Johnson

Probably need more depth at DL until Tuitt returns

raycafan
09-12-2017, 06:58 PM
Release Fort bring back Johnson, I do not understand this move, if you were going to do this why not do this last week. Fort's speed and athleticism were impressive. This is just weird to me, what did Fort do, pee in somebody's shoes?

feltdizz
09-12-2017, 08:32 PM
Release Fort bring back Johnson, I do not understand this move, if you were going to do this why not do this last week. Fort's speed and athleticism were impressive. This is just weird to me, what did Fort do, pee in somebody's shoes?

The Steelers tweeted they "terminated" Fort.

Shoe
09-12-2017, 10:58 PM

It is amazing to consider the arbitrary nature of life. Chickillo scooped the blocked punt, but Fort was right behind him in chasing the ball. If Fort is a millisecond ahead of Chick, he picks up the ball and are we talking about this?

NorthCoast
09-12-2017, 11:31 PM
There is a backstory here. Fort's play got him on the roster, and now he is not? We will likely have to wait for leaks of information before we know the full story.

RuthlessBurgher
09-13-2017, 10:15 AM
L.J. Fort was signed to the practice squad today, replacing Matt Galambos.

Oviedo
09-13-2017, 10:26 AM
L.J. Fort was signed to the practice squad today, replacing Matt Galambos.

This just gets stranger and stranger

Slapstick
09-13-2017, 10:34 AM
IIRC, Steven Johnson had a minor injury. Rather than carry him on the roster for the first game when he couldn't play, the Steelers held onto Fort as a capable special teams body and ILB backup. Now that Johnson is presumably healthy and can practice, they seem to prefer him as a special teamer and ILB backup...

That seems logical to me, at any rate. If Fort had done something he shouldn't have, why keep him on the PS?

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
09-13-2017, 10:34 AM
This just gets stranger and stranger

Exactly. I figured that Fort being "terminated" as they put it meant that something happened that is not being publicized and the team no longer wants him on board. Bringing him back onto the practice squad shoots down that theory.

RuthlessBurgher
09-13-2017, 11:10 AM
L.J. Fort had P.S. eligibility and Steven Johnson did not. This is a means of keeping them both with the team.

I think Fort is the better LB of the two, but Johnson may be a better special teams player, which is what we are primarily looking for on game day from the 4th ILB on our depth chart.

This allows us to have Johnson active on gameday for ST purposes, but if Shazier, Vince, or Dirty Red get hurt, we can promote Fort from the P.S.

williar
09-13-2017, 11:38 AM
I thought you could not sign players to the P.S. who already spent a certain amount of time on a roster, i.e Fitzgerald Toussaint?

feltdizz
09-13-2017, 11:51 AM
Exactly. I figured that Fort being "terminated" as they put it meant that something happened that is not being publicized and the team no longer wants him on board. Bringing him back onto the practice squad shoots down that theory.

whoever does the Steeler twitter needs to know words have meaning.

they shouldn't say terminated if he was released.

feltdizz
09-13-2017, 11:52 AM
IIRC, Steven Johnson had a minor injury. Rather than carry him on the roster for the first game when he couldn't play, the Steelers held onto Fort as a capable special teams body and ILB backup. Now that Johnson is presumably healthy and can practice, they seem to prefer him as a special teamer and ILB backup...

That seems logical to me, at any rate. If Fort had done something he shouldn't have, why keep him on the PS?

I think the PS made it obvious it wasn't something else but the words used before he was put on the PS sure made it sound like he did something wrong.

RuthlessBurgher
09-13-2017, 02:00 PM
I thought you could not sign players to the P.S. who already spent a certain amount of time on a roster, i.e Fitzgerald Toussaint?

There are two categories of players who can be signed to the practice squad: Practice Squad Eligible, and Exempt. Four of the 10 players on a team’s practice squad can be from the Exempt category.

Here are the "Exempt" players from our current roster: Martavis Bryant, Eli Rogers, Artie Burns, Fitz Toussaint, Tyler Matakevich, Bud Dupree, L.J. Fort, Anthony Chickillo, B.J. Finney, Al Villanueva, Jesse James, Xavier Grimble, and L.T. Walton.

Touissant and Fort are currently on the P.S.

williar
09-13-2017, 02:18 PM
There are two categories of players who can be signed to the practice squad: Practice Squad Eligible, and Exempt. Four of the 10 players on a team’s practice squad can be from the Exempt category.

Here are the "Exempt" players from our current roster: Martavis Bryant, Eli Rogers, Artie Burns, Fitz Toussaint, Tyler Matakevich, Bud Dupree, L.J. Fort, Anthony Chickillo, B.J. Finney, Al Villanueva, Jesse James, Xavier Grimble, and L.T. Walton.

Touissant and Fort are currently on the P.S. Thank You!

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
09-13-2017, 08:17 PM
L.J. Fort had P.S. eligibility and Steven Johnson did not. This is a means of keeping them both with the team.

I think Fort is the better LB of the two, but Johnson may be a better special teams player, which is what we are primarily looking for on game day from the 4th ILB on our depth chart.

This allows us to have Johnson active on gameday for ST purposes, but if Shazier, Vince, or Dirty Red get hurt, we can promote Fort from the P.S.

True, but these are things that the team would have already known. So they released a guy who they had originally kept in order to sign a player who is not as good a LBer but better ST player after their best ST game in years.

Slapstick
09-13-2017, 09:00 PM
Unless Fort isn't actually a better ILB...