PDA

View Full Version : Positives from Game 1

NorthCoast
09-10-2017, 07:20 PM
Seems a little negative tone after the win so I thought I would take a stab at positives I seen:

AB is still AB... this game may not have been a W without him. Always seems to find a way to make plays.

Conner is a hard runner; not sure he had a single run without positive yards.
Special teams looking greatly improved over last season, nice blocked punt for a TD. Good kick coverage.
Alualu is a fine sub on the defensive line, 5 tackles on the day. Guy has some hussles.
Chickillo .... where have they been hiding this guy? 6 tackles, 1 for loss.
Rogers could be this team's Amendola.
Berry with some nice kicks, only 3 returns for total 34 yds

and TJ Watt: simply a historic day for a rookie. 3 man to record 2 sacks and INT in their first game.

fordfixer
09-10-2017, 07:24 PM
How many touches did Conner have?

Ernie
09-10-2017, 07:31 PM

Not very many. Should have had more IMO. Bell looks like he's a few weeks away from being back to his old self. Cleveland's front 7 did well against the run. D. Shelton is a beast.

Iron City Inc.
09-10-2017, 07:46 PM
Coates was not inactive today for the game. Since he did nothing I would say that's a positive for us.

RuthlessBurgher
09-10-2017, 10:02 PM
Cleveland's biggest strength is it's OL (Joe Thomas, Joel Bitonio, J.C. Tretter, Kevin Zeitler, and Shon Coleman), but our D was able to sack their QB seven times (2 each from our starting OLB's Watt and Chickillo, 2 more from our DL Heyward and Hargrave, and 1 more on a DB blitz from Haden). Not every sack was beating an OT around the end, but getting a coverage sack means our secondary has been improving as well.

Starlifter
09-10-2017, 11:13 PM
There's no doubt I was happy for the win, but frustrated in how the game unfolded. I do believe the browns have a solid core of young players and the next few years will be very interesting IF jimmy haslet can hold his wad and not fire Hue Jackson after the season. Thank goodness for AB being AB. he was essentially the entire offense. I get that the browns have a pretty good defense - but the penalties were making me bleed out of my eyeballs. We stopped half our drives on our own. we allowed cleveland to continue drives that were on the verge of being stopped. If the browns had had one more lucky break. If AB doesn't make that circus catch - we could have lost that game. I know all the AFC north games are usually competitive, but the gap in talent between what we have and what they have should have precluded the browns still being in the game with 3 minutes to go.

hopefully this game got all the rust off the 'ones'. because minny's defense is much better than clevelands.

RuthlessBurgher
09-10-2017, 11:24 PM
hopefully this game got all the rust off the 'ones'. because minny's defense is much better than clevelands.

We all get to scout how the Vikes' D plays against the Saints O tomorrow night.

flippy
09-11-2017, 06:29 AM
We scored TDs both times we were in the RedZone. That was huge and if we came away with FGs like we often do, we would have lost.

While this wasn't the prettiest game in the world, everyone should have expected it to be competitive. Cleveland is much better than most give them credit for. We were heavily favored and it's early in the season. We often don't play our most inspired football in this situation. And we had to overcome road Ben to boot.

That said, you have to feel good when you play mediocre, have a seemingly infinite number of bad penalties, and still come away with the win. This is the kind of win that hardens a team over time and will make us more competitive down the road.

With as much as many of our guys have played, it was like it was the 1st preseason game for many. It's only going to get better from here. Hopefully we can eke out a few more wins early in the season and keep this thing going in the right direction.

RuthlessBurgher
09-15-2017, 10:41 AM
Stick ball
Posted 17 hours ago

By Mike Prisuta

Chickillo, Matakevich earn special teams honor.

Danny Smith never speaks softly, but he still wants his special teams to carry a big stick.

Linebackers Tyler Matakevich and Anthony Chickillo are doing so this week, and as a result they’ll represent the Steelers’ special teams during the coin toss prior to Sunday afternoon’s hosting of Minnesota.

“We only give it after wins,” Smith explained regarding “The Stick,” the trophy for kicking game excellence he’s awarded since his arrival as special teams coordinator in 2013. “We’ve taken it to another level. Whoever gets “The Stick” will be a captain the following week.”

“The Stick” is nothing more than a walking stick that’s been painted black and gold, but it might as well be made of gold given the way the players covet its possession.

“You gotta take some pride in it,” Matakevich said. “If you’re not trying to get that stick every week, what are we doing?”

Smith prefers not to have two winners if he can help it.

Occasionally, circumstances and performance dictate otherwise.

Matakevich and Chickillo were recognized this week for the punt Matakevich blocked and the end zone recovery by Chickillo in last Sunday’s season-opening, 21-18 win at Cleveland.

The date of the game, the opponent and each player’s name are now displayed on “The Stick.”

At season’s end, the player whose name appears more than any other gets to keep “The Stick.”

Linebacker Vince Williams won it in 2016.

Getting off to a fast start in this year’s competition is a big deal to Matakevich.

The touchdown the special teams produced in Cleveland is an even bigger deal.

“To steal a possession on special teams, I don’t think people understand how hard that is,” Matakevich said. “To score on it too? That’s unbelievable.”

Both players credited Smith for his role in scripting the play.

“Danny made a good call on it,” Chickillo insisted. “Tyler made a great play. I just ran to the ball and jumped on it.”

Added Matakevich: “Danny always says you gotta expect to come free. You can’t jog through and then be like, ‘Oh, man, I’m free.’ You gotta come off like you’re going to block it the whole time.

“We’ve been practicing that since OTAs.”

Smith might lead the NFL in combined decibels and syllables during special teams periods in NFL practices since then, but he wasn’t interested in taking any of the credit.

“It’s all about execution,” he insisted. “I draw up stuff week in and week out. Sometimes it hits and sometimes it doesn’t.

“Don’t get confused by good intentions; it’s about the execution and those guys executed it to its finest.”

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Stick-ball/37b9d149-6ff1-4115-93e9-2df314652917

feltdizz
09-15-2017, 11:16 AM

One series, maybe 2 touches or 3 touches. IMO it looked like the Browns were dead set on stopping the run. They were in our back field a lot.

Oviedo
09-15-2017, 11:38 AM
One series, maybe 2 touches or 3 touches. IMO it looked like the Browns were dead set on stopping the run. They were in our back field a lot.

Expect that to be the game plan we see every week. I think teams will not want to let Bell to get rolling because once he does he puts the defense on its heels. Most opponents will focus on stopping the run. Ben will have to adjust and hopefully be more accurate with his short throws to create space. IMO he was terrible last Sunday

SanAntonioSteelerFan
09-15-2017, 01:35 PM
Expect that to be the game plan we see every week. I think teams will not want to let Bell to get rolling because once he does he puts the defense on its heels. Most opponents will focus on stopping the run. Ben will have to adjust and hopefully be more accurate with his short throws to create space. IMO he was terrible last Sunday

Without backing it up with any numbers (is that even possible), I had the impression the O-line was really not much to write home about on Sunday, and that affected Ben's play a lot. So, IMO, lots of blame to go around.

feltdizz
09-15-2017, 02:51 PM
Without backing it up with any numbers (is that even possible), I had the impression the O-line was really not much to write home about on Sunday, and that affected Ben's play a lot. So, IMO, lots of blame to go around.

I didn't see much pressure on Ben for most of the day. IMO the penalties and punts inside the 15 are what held us back. Ben was off on a few throws but I don't think it was due to the OL. Just timing issues with Bryant and too many bubble screens.

Mr.wizard
09-15-2017, 06:44 PM
Conner had 4 carries for 11 yards.