PDA

View Full Version : Dobbs

feltdizz
09-01-2017, 02:44 PM
I like what I saw from this kid this preseason. I expected a few WTF moments because he had a few of those at UT. Once he understands you don't have to make a play on every play he will be good to go.

I'm mad I missed the last drive.

Slapstick
09-01-2017, 05:14 PM
Apparently, he didn't even have a position coach in college....

SidSmythe
09-01-2017, 05:24 PM
As long as Dobbs sits his first 4 yrs I'm happy (meaning Ben plays 4 more years).
Kinda like an Aaron Rogers situation??

Ernie
09-01-2017, 05:29 PM
Im with ya on that one Sid.. I think there's about a 0% chance of that happening though.

Steelerphile
09-01-2017, 05:31 PM
I think Dobbs is a nice prospect. The improvement he made from the first to the fourth preseason game is remarkable. I think it is unreal how some people were down on him when he is just in the preseason of his first year. He has a good arm and can throw well. He can move around. I wouldn't be upset if he gets in the game this year. I think is pretty sure Roethlisberger won't play all of the snaps.

NorthCoast
09-01-2017, 05:33 PM
The mechanics of some of his throws are not pretty.... but all coachable. Let's put it this way, he did nothing to hurt his case for being the #3.

Steelerphile
09-01-2017, 06:16 PM
His mechanics look fine to me. He is not always accurate, but Landry is in his fifth year and should be far advanced in terms of experience as NFL performer. Landry was not more impressive in the preseason overall this year or any year than Dobbs was.

And his movement ability gives him an edge over Landry IMO.

diamondlucy
09-01-2017, 06:27 PM
Guys, I got news for you...if Ben goes down...Dobbs will never see the field. That job is securely Landry Jones...like it or not.

Slapstick
09-01-2017, 06:39 PM
He has the mechanics of a #3 QB but the moxie of a starter...work on those mechanics!!

feltdizz
09-01-2017, 08:08 PM
He has the mechanics of a #3 QB but the moxie of a starter...work on those mechanics!!

Yes, I think his mechanics will get better.

feltdizz
09-01-2017, 08:15 PM
His mechanics look fine to me. He is not always accurate, but Landry is in his fifth year and should be far advanced in terms of experience as NFL performer. Landry was not more impressive in the preseason overall this year or any year than Dobbs was.

And his movement ability gives him an edge over Landry IMO.

I think people may be speaking on his mechanics when he tried to keep plays alive. There are times when he should eat it instead of trying to make something out of nothing.

I didnt see a problem with his mechanics when he has time to throw but I also didn't watch the whole game.

Iron City Inc.
09-01-2017, 09:09 PM
Dobbs looked very rookie like at times flipping some off balance ill advised tosses however he has also shown good knowledge of the offense something rare for a rookie qb. Got the smarts just lacking experience and the need to know sometimes the only play is to throw it away. He'll get that part down. Looking at Dobbs vs Jones I would say Dobbs is way ahead of Jones at the same time of development. It took Jones a while to just be serviceable. Dobbs gets the ball out quick n that is a key factor in todays NFL you have to have that good clock n I'm still not sure Jones has that to this day. Jones is the 2 .........for now!

Steelerphile
09-02-2017, 12:19 PM

I think this is a very vague criticism and please explain in more detail what the mechanics of a #3 QB means. Dobbs has nice fluid over the top delivery that looks
very classic to me. So Landry has great mechanics and Dobbs mechanics are poor?? Break it down, No Comprende. This is just a criticism to criticize something. It is empty, vague
and meaningless.

Slapstick
09-02-2017, 12:39 PM
I think this is a very vague criticism and please explain in more detail what the mechanics of a #3 QB means. Dobbs has nice fluid over the top delivery that looks
very classic to me. So Landry has great mechanics and Dobbs mechanics are poor?? Break it down, No Comprende. This is just a criticism to criticize something. It is empty, vague
and meaningless.

So, my opinion is just like anyone else's on this board? Meaningless? I'm shocked...

Anyway, my post was in response to this one:

The mechanics of some of his throws are not pretty.... but all coachable. Let's put it this way, he did nothing to hurt his case for being the #3.

My post was actually complimentary to Dobbs...running the 2:00 drill successfully as a 4th round rookie is awesome!

Iron City Inc.
09-02-2017, 12:50 PM
Dobbs footwork at Tennessee wasn't what it is now. You could see it daily at camp where he improved getting his feet around as he worked through progressions. He is still much better out of the gun then the drop back but even those mechanics in the drop has improved since the start of camp. With reps and pro coaching he has gotten that aspect of his game up from a year ago. Accuracy is there and ability to feel the rush is also there( you have that or you don't) so he has imho solid upside n in time will surpass Mr Jones but then again Jones hasn't set the bar to high. To me Dobbs is only lacking experience which all rookie qb's minus Dak Prescott have to gain over the course of their first season.