PDA

View Full Version : Do ya think that maybe...

Oviedo
09-01-2017, 12:19 PM
...there have been some private meetings between the team management and Ben where he has privately told them this is his last year? Could that explain some of the recent "all in" moves?

I'm not sure that Ben could be that private and based on his past he would seem to want a "farewell tour" season but just maybe...

williar
09-01-2017, 12:36 PM
I think Ben's sentiments have been anything other than "private." To me, he has made it quite clear that he is ready to "hang-em up!" I feel that the brass should understand the writing on the wall, in that, if you have a team that is ready and capable of winning it all (sands) maybe just a couple pieces away, you better strike while the iron is hot! There are just too many moving parts in the NFL to "stand pat" and wait til next year.

Also, I believe there is just as much sentiment surrounding James Harrison. This guy is giving everything he has to get another ring. I don't believe he would have come back if he didn't think that the FO would do everything they can to "help him out."

Slapstick
09-01-2017, 12:38 PM
I don't think the moves have been unusual...they've traded for players in the past (Boykin) and spent money on reasonable free agent contracts (Mitchell, Green)...the timing is the only thing that is unusual for the Haden signing...but that was a function of the calendar and our available cap...

feltdizz
09-01-2017, 12:40 PM
I don't think so.

Pretty sure this is Tomlin's first time losing a conference championship game as a coach. Also think the FO believes Bell may not be around next year so they are all in.

Maybe it's Ben as well but I think he plays out his contract

feltdizz
09-01-2017, 12:42 PM
I don't think the moves have been unusual...they've traded for players in the past (Boykin) and spent money on reasonable free agent contracts (Mitchell, Green)...the timing is the only thing that is unusual for the Haden signing...but that was a function of the calendar and our available cap...

Also, it sounds like Haden left money on the table because he really wanted to be a Steeler.

williar
09-01-2017, 12:47 PM
Also, it sounds like Haden left money on the table because he really wanted to be a Steeler. Well - we really wanted him to be a Steeler :D

Look, I am not going to expect miracles but if he can just be solid, as in above average, I think we might be on to something....

feltdizz
09-01-2017, 12:52 PM
Well - we really wanted him to be a Steeler :D

Look, I am not going to expect miracles but if he can just be solid, as in above average, I think we might be on to something....

I think he will be great for us. However, I think some folk look at this signing like we moved mountains to make it happen.

From what I read it sounded like Haden has wanted to be a Steeler since Florida's pro day when he met Tomlin.

Shawn
09-01-2017, 01:21 PM
I think Ben's sentiments have been anything other than "private." To me, he has made it quite clear that he is ready to "hang-em up!" I feel that the brass should understand the writing on the wall, in that, if you have a team that is ready and capable of winning it all (sands) maybe just a couple pieces away, you better strike while the iron is hot! There are just too many moving parts in the NFL to "stand pat" and wait til next year.

Also, I believe there is just as much sentiment surrounding James Harrison. This guy is giving everything he has to get another ring. I don't believe he would have come back if he didn't think that the FO would do everything they can to "help him out." I fully agree. I don't believe Ben told the FO he will hang it up after this year because typically those talks are after an exhausting season not before a new season. If he is having that talk now...we could be in trouble. Second, I do think it's possible Ben talked with the FO and said we need to make moves to win now. That is a real possibility.

williar
09-01-2017, 02:07 PM
I think he will be great for us. However, I think some folk look at this signing like we moved mountains to make it happen. From what I read it sounded like Haden has wanted to be a Steeler since Florida's pro day when he met Tomlin. That's all well and good, but I am not going to act like I expected us to get Haden just because we needed him. When I heard he was coming available my thought was "wouldn't it be nice" however we usually get one upped on these business deals.

feltdizz
09-01-2017, 02:49 PM
That's all well and good, but I am not going to act like I expected us to get Haden just because we needed him. When I heard he was coming available my thought was "wouldn't it be nice" however we usually get one upped on these business deals.

It happened so fast we barely had time to set expectations.

I joked on another site about Haden getting a call from a 412 number, he probably got that call a day earlier from Pouncey and AB.

feltdizz
09-01-2017, 02:50 PM
I fully agree. I don't believe Ben told the FO he will hang it up after this year because typically those talks are after an exhausting season not before a new season. If he is having that talk now...we could be in trouble. Second, I do think it's possible Ben talked with the FO and said we need to make moves to win now. That is a real possibility.

I think Ben has that talk every off season.

WEAPONS!! WE NEED MORE WEAPONS!!!

Slapstick
09-01-2017, 04:34 PM
I think he will be great for us. However, I think some folk look at this signing like we moved mountains to make it happen.

From what I read it sounded like Haden has wanted to be a Steeler since Florida's pro day when he met Tomlin.

Haden is the anti-Bell...

Ernie
09-01-2017, 05:27 PM
Although I think he's got 2 or 3 productive years left physically, I think it's very possible that he did "Have a talk" recently about being done after this year. Even if he is "On the fence", there are several scenarios that could play out this year...that could lead to him being done. If we win the SB...he's done, if he suffers a serious injury, he's done. I can also see him getting disgusted and hanging it up, if we get embarrassed in the playoffs again this year. Hate to say it, but I honestly think it's 60-40 that this is year last year.

winwithd
09-01-2017, 05:39 PM
Although I think he's got 2 or 3 productive years left physically, I think it's very possible that he did "Have a talk" recently about being done after this year. Even if he is "On the fence", there are several scenarios that could play out this year...that could lead to him being done. If we win the SB...he's done, if he suffers a serious injury, he's done. I can also see him getting disgusted and hanging it up, if we get embarrassed in the playoffs again this year. Hate to say it, but I honestly think it's 60-40 that this is year last year.

I think I remember prior to one of the Super Bowls, (vs GB I think) Ben saying one of his goals was to top Bradshaw's 4 trophies. I hope he remembers that and wants to ride off with back to back rings.

Ernie
09-01-2017, 05:51 PM
I remember that also. That statement was before the two kids, and the wife who is obviously putting the "Clamp" on him lol

Sugar
09-01-2017, 05:56 PM
If they win it all this year, I think Ben will be back for another round. That is assuming he isn't pounded too badly during the year. Harrison, on the other hand, will retire if they win it all.

Ernie
09-01-2017, 05:58 PM
I would be okay with that. If we do win it all, I am hoping they draft a QB in round 1 if the value is there.

Lonbull
09-01-2017, 06:05 PM
I love Ben and all -- but unfortunately his Retirement talks remind me of Brett Favre.....it's going to be drama till the end.

And as long as Bruce Arians and Ken Whizenhunt are in the NFL I think there's always a chance he could be looking for a quick ring somewhere else (should we have to go into rebuilding mode).

L.B.

Ernie
09-01-2017, 06:11 PM
I think the table is set in Pitt for the next few years.. I don't know what rebuilding mode would look like... to be honest. We just went through a massive youth movement on the defensive side...and the offense is pretty well locked up contract wise for the next few years. I think the table is set...and the best situation Ben could be in from here til about 2020.

RuthlessBurgher
09-01-2017, 11:50 PM
I would be okay with that. If we do win it all, I am hoping they draft a QB in round 1 if the value is there.

Picking 32nd overall isn't exactly the optimal position to try to obtain your next franchise quarterback in the draft.

Ernie
09-02-2017, 04:55 AM
Picking 32nd overall isn't exactly the optimal position to try to obtain your next franchise quarterback in the draft.

This is true. Might have to do some trading to move up to get "That guy"... or Maybe Kirk Cousins will go the Haden route next year... and take a reasonable deal to play with a winner. All I know is, Landry is not the guy you want behind Center if you want to compete for SBs.