PDA

View Full Version : Steelers trade for a corner

RuthlessBurgher
08-23-2017, 10:23 PM
By Curtis Crabtree
August 23, 2017, 10:13 PM EDT
Washington trades Dashaun Phillips to Steelers for Lucas Crowley

The Washington Redskins dealt cornerback Dashaun Phillips to the Pittsburgh Steelers in exchange for center Lucas Crowley on Wednesday night.

The acquisition of Crowley gives Washington some added depth at center after starter Spencer Long had knee surgery this week.

Crowley was undrafted free agent out of North Carolina initially signed by Arizona in May. He signed with the Steelers earlier this month and played 10 snaps in last week’s game against the Atlanta Falcons.

Phillips appeared in 11 games over the last two seasons for Washington and started two games last year. He’s recorded 14 career tackles.

fordfixer
08-23-2017, 10:25 PM
The Steelers completed what was a busy day of transactions when they traded for Washington Redskins cornerback Dashaun Phillips in exchange for center Lucas Crowley.

Phillips played in five games for the Redskins in 2016, starting two, in the nickel role. He had seven tackles and a fumble recovery. He has played in 11 games, with 14 tackles, nine of them solo stops, in two seasons.

Phillips originally was signed by the Dallas Cowboys as an undrafted rookie free agent in 2014. He was waived by the Cowboys before the start of the season, and later signed to the New York Jets practice squad in October, 2014.

He was signed to the Redskins practice squad in 2015, and then placed on the active roster later in the season.

Phillips played college ball at Tarleton State, a Division II school in Texas. He finished his career with 175 career tackles, 12 interceptions and three forced fumbles.

Earlier in the day the Steelers signed cornerback Antonio Crawford, and released running back Brandon Brown-Dukes. The Steelers also signed rookie wide receiver Justin Thomas. In a corresponding move the Steelers waived/injured third-year cornerback Greg Ducre.

RuthlessBurgher
08-23-2017, 10:56 PM
His pre-draft scouting report:

DASHAUN PHILLIPS
TARLETON ST.
LONE STAR

GRADE

5'11"
HEIGHT

29 3/4"
ARM LENGTH

182LBS.
WEIGHT

9"
HANDS

ANALYSIS

STRENGTHS Quick-footed and explosive changing direction. Smooth hips, feet and transition. Shadows his man and allows little separation in man coverage. Willing in run support. Plays with emotion and has a chip on his shoulder. Confident and competitive. Good hands and body control (12 career interceptions). Recorded a 39-inch vertical jump, a 6.65-second three-cone time and 3.97-second 20-yard shuttle at his pro day, indicating exceptional lateral agility and lower-body explosion. Tough and will play through injuries as he did playing through a left foot injury as a junior. Four-year starter. Solid football character.

WEAKNESSES Is thinly built and struggles to shed blockers to support the run. Can be late to see plays developing and get out of position sorting out routes and trying to do too much in zone coverage. Diminished ball production (only two interceptions the last two years). Regularly matched up against inferior Division II competition.

DRAFT PROJECTION Round 7-Priority free agent

BOTTOM LINE Raw, lean man cover corner with the quickness and explosive burst to warrant a look as a No. 4 or No. 5 cornerback. Was regularly assigned to the opponent's top receiver and did not have as many opportunities the last two seasons, when his interception production diminished.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
08-23-2017, 11:45 PM
His pre-draft scouting report:

DASHAUN PHILLIPS
TARLETON ST.
LONE STAR

GRADE

5'11"
HEIGHT

29 3/4"
ARM LENGTH

182LBS.
WEIGHT

9"
HANDS

ANALYSIS

STRENGTHS Quick-footed and explosive changing direction. Smooth hips, feet and transition. Shadows his man and allows little separation in man coverage. Willing in run support. Plays with emotion and has a chip on his shoulder. Confident and competitive. Good hands and body control (12 career interceptions). Recorded a 39-inch vertical jump, a 6.65-second three-cone time and 3.97-second 20-yard shuttle at his pro day, indicating exceptional lateral agility and lower-body explosion. Tough and will play through injuries as he did playing through a left foot injury as a junior. Four-year starter. Solid football character.

WEAKNESSES Is thinly built and struggles to shed blockers to support the run. Can be late to see plays developing and get out of position sorting out routes and trying to do too much in zone coverage. Diminished ball production (only two interceptions the last two years). Regularly matched up against inferior Division II competition.

DRAFT PROJECTION Round 7-Priority free agent

BOTTOM LINE Raw, lean man cover corner with the quickness and explosive burst to warrant a look as a No. 4 or No. 5 cornerback. Was regularly assigned to the opponent's top receiver and did not have as many opportunities the last two seasons, when his interception production diminished.

Wow, he sounds pretty good.

Would he start based on this kind of description and history?

RuthlessBurgher
08-23-2017, 11:48 PM
Wow, he sounds pretty good.

Would he start based on this kind of description and history?

Nah... primarily a special teamer. Two starts in two NFL seasons so far. Just more competition in the defensive backfield in exchange for an interior o-lineman who wasn't going to make our 53 man roster, so nothing lost.

Ghost
08-24-2017, 06:56 AM
This dude is bottom shelf (the bottle the bartender has to reach down low to grab and then blows dust off it). Undrafted FA who was cut before camp finished. Then singed with another team to be be waived off the injured reserved list with an injury settlement. The Skins were the third team and he was carted off the filed in his last game for them. They cut him and resigned him to the PS multiple times before trading him.

Oviedo
08-24-2017, 11:31 AM
http://www.steelers.com/news/transactions/article-1/Steelers-trade-for-Phillips/fe3c763e-ef88-4efc-b701-b3397d524687

Dashaun Phillips from the Redskins

So we have drafted 2 DB last year, drafted 2 this year, signed a CB in free agency but somehow some believe we are ignoring the CB position

Oviedo
08-24-2017, 11:34 AM
So we have drafted 2 DB last year, drafted 2 this year, signed a CB in free agency but somehow some believe we are ignoring the CB position

Oviedo
08-24-2017, 11:37 AM
Sorry--didn't see Ruthless post. Hope someone can merge

Sword
08-24-2017, 11:40 AM
Where is the elite CB we need? you can grab all the average CB you want but, until we get Elite CB's we will get smoked and you will keep hearing it from frustrated fans.....

Slapstick
08-24-2017, 11:48 AM
Was that elite CB there in round 2?

williar
08-24-2017, 11:58 AM
LOL - As bad as the redskins secondary looks, you have to wonder :confused:

RuthlessBurgher
08-24-2017, 12:09 PM
LOL - As bad as the redskins secondary looks, you have to wonder :confused:

I thought their day two corner pick, Fabian Moreau, was the guy who we should have taken instead of Juju Smith-Schuster?

Wouldn't that single pick have solved all of our secondary issues in one fell swoop?

williar
08-24-2017, 12:33 PM
I thought their day two corner pick, Fabian Moreau, was the guy who we should have taken instead of Juju Smith-Schuster?
gWouldn't that single pick have solved all of our secondary issues in one fell swoop? He just got on the field not too long ago, remember he had been injured (such a familiar theme) which contributed to him falling in the draft. Of course, they think the world of his potential here in DC.

papillon
08-24-2017, 12:48 PM
Where is the elite CB we need? you can grab all the average CB you want but, until we get Elite CB's we will get smoked and you will keep hearing it from frustrated fans.....

Can't have elite players at every position, the Steelers haven't neglected the position but it seems that the players they select do not pan out. The Falcons and Pats last year's two super bowl teams do not have elite corners. Maybe Desmond Trufant can be considered elite, he was ranked in the top 10 last year, but Robert Alford, Logan Ryan and Malcolm Butler were in the middle of the pack or lower. To get Patrick Petersen type corner back you need to be drafting in the top 10 positions of the draft and the Steelers rarely draft that high. The Patriots won the Super Bowl with two average CBs. The Steelers need to find a way to do the same. They have a top 5 QB, a top 5 WR (arguably #1), a top 5 RB (arguably #1) and one of the top 5 Olines in the NFL. You have to be able to win a Super Bowl with that talent, IMO.

The defense isn't exactly chopped liver with Heyward, Shazier and Tuitt all gaining notoriety around the league, Bud Dupree did well as a rook. The Steelers are going to have to win a Super Bowl with average corners, unless, they start unloading some offensive star power. Ben and the offense need to carry the team, the defense certainly lags behind them, but they aren't in the bottom half of the league either. The corners the Steelers have need to become at least average or above average but they shouldn't have to be elite based on the offensive talent.

Pappy

feltdizz
08-24-2017, 01:31 PM
Exactly Pap. This offense needs to score TDs vs teams like the Pats if we are going to have a shot at a SB.

Oviedo
08-24-2017, 01:58 PM

And what available and proven elite CB have we passed on?

Eddie Spaghetti
08-24-2017, 02:03 PM
certainly not elite but the eagles just pried ronald darby away from the bills

trading for bums like this guy from the redskins certainly wont fix the problem

feltdizz
08-24-2017, 02:17 PM
Eagles gave up Jordan Mathews and a 3rd for Darby.

Eddie Spaghetti
08-24-2017, 02:21 PM
yes i know, hence the word pried

the point is there are some moves that can be made. this secondary is the weakest unit on a team with a win now mindset.

the window for this team to win a SB is probably 2 years. maybe giving up a player and a pick would help them achieve that
goal

feltdizz
08-24-2017, 02:33 PM
yes i know, hence the word pried

the point is there are some moves that can be made. this secondary is the weakest unit on a team with a win now mindset.

the window for this team to win a SB is probably 2 years. maybe giving up a player and a pick would help them achieve that
goal

who would you give up? I thought about Eli but I think Jordan Matthews is more Bryant/Coates territory even though I think Bryant's weed habit probably hurts his draft stock until he reminds folks what he can do.

I think we need to see what Sutton, Sensabaugh and Hilton look like before acting like we haven't tried to make moves.

Eddie Spaghetti
08-24-2017, 02:37 PM
coates and a 2nd which if the season goes like we expect would be a late pick. i have no idea if that would have had any merit for the bills as i'm no GM

the three guys you listed are marginal players at this point and offer very little upside to a team trying to win it all right now

the moves the steelers have made in the last 24 hours shows that the coaching staff/FO are not comfortable with what they have in the secondary. giving sensabaugh a shot to unseat cockrell at this late juncture combined with trading for another slot corner underscores their faith, or lack thereof, in the current unit. no other way to spin it

squidkid
08-24-2017, 03:25 PM

im available. i played a lil cb in high school

Slapstick
08-24-2017, 03:44 PM
I think the DB situation parallels the WR situation...

There are one or two top players and the rest is at least competitive...right now, CB is the weakness, but that could change with one simple injury or failed drug test...

feltdizz
08-24-2017, 03:51 PM
coates and a 2nd which if the season goes like we expect would be a late pick. i have no idea if that would have had any merit for the bills as i'm no GM

the three guys you listed are marginal players at this point and offer very little upside to a team trying to win it all right now

the moves the steelers have made in the last 24 hours shows that the coaching staff/FO are not comfortable with what they have in the secondary. giving sensabaugh a shot to unseat cockrell at this late juncture combined with trading for another slot corner underscores their faith, or lack thereof, in the current unit. no other way to spin it

we drafted a corner in the 3rd so I think it was obvious we wanted to improve the position we just probably didn't like the grades on guys vs Watt in the first.

I think with Heyward, Dupree, JH and Shazier in the game we might see our DB's look better than they did vs ATL.

Also want to see what Sutton can do once healthy.

its still the preseason so I wouldn't read too much into it even though it's the 3rd game. Now is the perfect time to see how players respond to adversity.

feltdizz
08-24-2017, 03:54 PM

There are one or two top players and the rest is at least competitive...right now, CB is the weakness, but that could change with one simple injury or failed drug test...

or our CB's could improve once we get our best players on the field at the same time.

Captain Lemming
08-25-2017, 08:52 AM

You can try to built a mountain with garbage all day long and you aint gonna build mount Everest my friend.

A couple of years ago we needed to revamp THE ENTIRE SECONDARY it was so neglected.

We got off to a good "start" last season.

But it only takes ONE HOLE to sink a ship.

THIS OFFSEASON, the biggest thing we could do to enhance this teams success is to replace Cockrell.
Drafting 2 after FIFTEEN OTHER TEAMS take a corner aint gonna do that, nor will signing this bum.

We got Sensabaugh who was just cut IN HIS PRIME as a LEGIT COMPETITOR for Cockrell as our best hope for an upgrade.

You wanna know how you seriously improve your secondary. Look at the team that WE ARE CHASING for a championship.

They aren't signing dozens of castoffs. They add ONE legit talent which is what WE needed to do.

Captain Lemming
08-25-2017, 09:19 AM

You can do "what ifs" all day long. What if Ben goes down?

These positions are not even close.
At least you FINALLY acknowledge secondary as a weakness. were you THAT confident in Golson that only NOW you recognize this fact?

BEFORE THE DRAFT our receivers already had the makings of an elite group.
Nobody would be shocked if come seasons end it is deemed the best in the NFL.
Heck, I would suggest that Juju were to break his leg tomorrow, it has that potential.

Before the draft and despite the draft, NOBODY save for bias Steeler fans expects that our secondary has a chance to be elite.

There is absolutely ZERO parallel in the state of those two positions.

SteelerOfDeVille
08-25-2017, 10:05 AM
Where is the elite CB we need? you can grab all the average CB you want but, until we get Elite CB's we will get smoked and you will keep hearing it from frustrated fans.....Exactly! It's like picking up Colt McCoy and saying, "we're not ignoring the QB position"

williar
08-25-2017, 10:13 AM
You can try to built a mountain with garbage all day long and you aint gonna build mount Everest my friend.

A couple of years ago we needed to revamp THE ENTIRE SECONDARY it was so neglected.

We got off to a good "start" last season.

But it only takes ONE HOLE to sink a ship.

THIS OFFSEASON, the biggest thing we could do to enhance this teams success is to replace Cockrell.
Drafting 2 after FIFTEEN OTHER TEAMS take a corner aint gonna do that, nor will signing this bum.

We got Sensabaugh who was just cut IN HIS PRIME as a LEGIT COMPETITOR for Cockrell as our best hope for an upgrade.

You wanna know how you seriously improve your secondary. Look at the team that WE ARE CHASING for a championship.

They aren't signing dozens of castoffs. They add ONE legit talent which is what WE needed to do. How about some of that!!!:wink:

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
08-25-2017, 10:22 AM

At least you FINALLY acknowledge secondary as a weakness. were you THAT confident in Golson that only NOW you recognize this fact?

Heck, I would suggest that Juju were to break his leg tomorrow, it has that potential.

Before the draft and despite the draft, NOBODY save for bias Steeler fans expects that our secondary has a chance to be elite.

You are correct if you consider Bryant a given. With Bryant at WR, this team has the potential to have one of the best units in the game. AB and MB on the field make whoever else is playing that much better due to the coverage that they command. Take MB away, and all you have is AB (yes, perhaps the best in the game) and a bunch of guys. Only the team's FO knows what their take on Bryant was at the time they made the Ju Ju selection.

True, it is not as important as CB where we have Burns (a good CB as a rook who can hopefully become very good this year) and a bunch of guys.

Another factor which we don't know is where did the team have Sutton rated compared to the other CBs available when they picked in round 2. I think that Sutton checks all the boxes that they have recently been looking for in the draft (character guy, student of the game, work ethic) so maybe he was a guy who they were targeting all along.

Slapstick
08-25-2017, 11:31 AM

But, you're wrong. Before the draft, our WRs DID NOT have the makings of an elite group...they sure as hell didn't a few months prior in the playoffs...how had they improved BEFORE THE DRAFT? Answer: They didn't...

Even if you were 100% certain that Bryant would be reinstated (which, he still isn't fully reinstated) and that Coates who was a big part of your success in the first five games could heal and reclaim his former role (so far, he hasn't) it STILL isn't worth drafting a player that you gave a lower draft grade just because he's a CB...if you have some insight into the Steelers draft war room and can show that there was a CB who had a draft grade higher than Smith-Schuster or one that had a draft grade that showed he was worth moving up to get (depending on the price...you gotta have a partner), THEN you have a point that you can support..."I don't like Ross Cockrell" is a perfectly valid opinion, but it doesn't make any sense in regards to this past draft...

Now, if you want to complain about not pursuing an elite CB free agency, that's a completely separate issue...

Slapstick
08-25-2017, 11:31 AM
You are correct if you consider Bryant a given. With Bryant at WR, this team has the potential to have one of the best units in the game. AB and MB on the field make whoever else is playing that much better due to the coverage that they command. Take MB away, and all you have is AB (yes, perhaps the best in the game) and a bunch of guys. Only the team's FO knows what their take on Bryant was at the time they made the Ju Ju selection.

True, it is not as important as CB where we have Burns (a good CB as a rook who can hopefully become very good this year) and a bunch of guys.

Another factor which we don't know is where did the team have Sutton rated compared to the other CBs available when they picked in round 2. I think that Sutton checks all the boxes that they have recently been looking for in the draft (character guy, student of the game, work ethic) so maybe he was a guy who they were targeting all along.

Well said!!

squidkid
08-25-2017, 07:16 PM
But, you're wrong. Before the draft, our WRs DID NOT have the makings of an elite group...they sure as hell didn't a few months prior in the playoffs...how had they improved BEFORE THE DRAFT? Answer: They didn't...

Even if you were 100% certain that Bryant would be reinstated (which, he still isn't fully reinstated) and that Coates who was a big part of your success in the first five games could heal and reclaim his former role (so far, he hasn't) it STILL isn't worth drafting a player that you gave a lower draft grade just because he's a CB...if you have some insight into the Steelers draft war room and can show that there was a CB who had a draft grade higher than Smith-Schuster or one that had a draft grade that showed he was worth moving up to get (depending on the price...you gotta have a partner), THEN you have a point that you can support..."I don't like Ross Cockrell" is a perfectly valid opinion, but it doesn't make any sense in regards to this past draft...

Now, if you want to complain about not pursuing an elite CB free agency, that's a completely separate issue...

can you prove juju had a higher grade than any other cb still on the board?

Eddie Spaghetti
08-25-2017, 08:34 PM
bryant was conditionally reinstated before the draft so the steelers WRs most certainly did improve before the draft

everyone knew from following his social media that bryant was working out and preparing like never before

Slapstick
08-26-2017, 12:17 AM
can you prove juju had a higher grade than any other cb still on the board?

What do I have to prove? The evidence is that they picked him. The burden of proof should be providing some kind of information that shows Smith-Schuster was graded lower by the Steelers than the available DBs...

Slapstick
08-26-2017, 12:20 AM
bryant was conditionally reinstated before the draft so the steelers WRs most certainly did improve before the draft

everyone knew from following his social media that bryant was working out and preparing like never before

And did that conditional reinstatement before the draft allow him to practice with the team and participate in training camp? Nope. He still ended up sitting out for weeks. How was that an improvement?

RuthlessBurgher
08-26-2017, 10:05 AM
Bryant is still not fully reinstated to play regular season games even now.

Shoe
08-26-2017, 11:00 AM
The secondary, is what it is, at this point. It is still reasonable to hope that Burns and Davis' improvement will change it for the better, but the bottom line is that the secondary's success or failure will simply be a function of JJ Watt, Cam, Tuitt, Deebo, Bud, and Hargrave's success on the pass-rush. If they can create pressure, Cockrell & Co. will be OK. If not, well, I guess get ready to watch the * march all over us again. :mad:

Oviedo
08-26-2017, 11:06 AM
The secondary, is what it is, at this point. It is still reasonable to hope that Burns and Davis' improvement will change it for the better, but the bottom line is that the secondary's success or failure will simply be a function of JJ Watt, Cam, Tuitt, Deebo, Bud, and Hargrave's success on the pass-rush. If they can create pressure, Cockrell & Co. will be OK. If not, well, I guess get ready to watch the * march all over us again. :mad:

Exactly. The pass rush has to excel. No secondary can cover if you can't get the QB to hurry and off their rhythm

Eddie Spaghetti
08-26-2017, 11:23 AM
And did that conditional reinstatement before the draft allow him to practice with the team and participate in training camp? Nope. He still ended up sitting out for weeks. How was that an improvement?

everyone knew he was going to be back. it was seen as a bonus to get the conditional reinstatement before the draft to help firm up their draft needs

you guys would argue with a sign post

feltdizz
08-26-2017, 11:34 AM
I think the Pats lost Edelman to injury. That's another reason we probably picked JuJu at the time. Last year we lost DHB Wheaton and Coates for a significant portion of the season. It's real easy to go from best WR corps to below average over the course of a season.

Slapstick
08-26-2017, 12:47 PM
everyone knew he was going to be back. it was seen as a bonus to get the conditional reinstatement before the draft to help firm up their draft needs

you guys would argue with a sign post

First off, let's just be clear that you were the one who chose to argue with me by responding to my post...you can't choose to argue with me and then whine about my arguing....

Second, he is STILL NOT FULLY REINSTATED...

Eddie Spaghetti
08-26-2017, 12:56 PM
only an idiot would argue MBs reinstatement didnt improve the steelers WR group

no surprise you are doing that

Slapstick
08-26-2017, 01:52 PM
only an idiot would argue MBs reinstatement didnt improve the steelers WR group

So, he's now good to go for the regular season? That's fantastic news! When did that happen?

Only someone with no actual answers resorts to name calling on a message board.

Shawn
08-26-2017, 05:13 PM
Average? You are being generous.

Slapstick
08-26-2017, 06:26 PM
Average? You are being generous.

Which one of the starting CBs played below average last season?

Captain Lemming
08-26-2017, 07:36 PM
Exactly. The pass rush has to excel. No secondary can cover if you can't get the QB to hurry and off their rhythm

OV my friend, clearly you MISSED the game that ended our season. :)

Pass rush had nothing to do with Brown becoming a non-factor in that game. It was the secondary pure and simple.
Ben has shedded many a defense under far more heat than the Pats had.

Heck I would take our front seven over the Pats every day and twice on Sunday BEFORE WATT (who was a great pick).

The Pats pass rush was no better than ours but they added elite talent to THE SECONDARY.

The most successful team in football in recent seasons knows what it is doing and it prioritized secondary over any position but QB.

feltdizz
08-26-2017, 07:55 PM
Seems like you missed the game as well Captain.

Pats doubled and bracketed AB all day cause they didn't fear any of our practice squad WR's.

Captain Lemming
08-26-2017, 08:10 PM
Which one of the starting CBs played below average last season?

OV spoke of the new CBs we have ACQUIRED as proof tht we are addressing our CB need including specifically the scrub we just signed.
Thus Sword's calling them "average" and Shawn saying "that is being generous".
That discussion was not about starters (though you know my feelings about that).

Shawn is right.

Slappy, the Pats who's secondary was good enough to make Brown a non-factor, just signed ANOTHER cornerback to 65 million dollar deal.
Stephen Gilmores deal surpases that of OUR ENTIRE SECONDARY combined. But we added what maybe 4 or 5 corners?

Who placed greater value on the position?

We are like the guy who "found" four abandoned cars and have them sitting in our front yard versus the guy who just BOUGHT ONE brand new 60,000,00 Lexus.

Captain Lemming
08-26-2017, 08:15 PM
Seems like you missed the game as well Captain.

Pats doubled and bracketed AB all day cause they didn't fear any of our practice squad WR's.

Oh I saw the game just fine.

A question Dizz:
Did they "bracket" AB with an edge rusher? Perhaps I missed that.

If not "my point" that secondary not pass rush was the biggest defensive factor in that Pats victory remains as valid as ever. :)

feltdizz
08-26-2017, 08:24 PM
Oh I saw the game just fine.

A question Dizz:
Did they "bracket" AB with an edge rusher? Perhaps I missed that.

If not "my point" that secondary not pass rush was the biggest defensive factor in that Pats victory remains as valid as ever. :)

The goal line stance at the half and going 3 and out to start the second half was the biggest factor. All things aside, it was 17 to 9 at halftime and should have been 17 to 14.

Captain Lemming
08-26-2017, 08:57 PM
The goal line stance at the half and going 3 and out to start the second half was the biggest factor. All things aside, it was 17 to 9 at halftime and should have been 17 to 14.

I missed that sack.
Or was Bens arm hit on that third down incompletion?

Or perhaps was it that EVERY RECEIVER IN THE ENDZONE was covered, Ben settled for and MISSED Rogers who was four and had no chance of a score if Ben does hit him as Rowe was right there to make the tackle.

feltdizz
08-26-2017, 09:25 PM
Cam Sutton looking good so far

feltdizz
08-26-2017, 09:28 PM
I missed that sack.
Or was Bens arm hit on that third down incompletion?

Or perhaps was it that EVERY RECEIVER IN THE ENDZONE was covered, Ben settled for and MISSED Rogers who was four and had no chance of a score if Ben does hit him as Rowe was right there to make the tackle.

Every receiver? You mean AB and the 3 simps?

Steelwolf
08-26-2017, 09:28 PM

Sure is felt!

Captain Lemming
08-26-2017, 10:57 PM

That is nice.
In all seriousness.
I would love nothing better than for Sutton to make me eat my words of criticism and outplay his "15th corner picked" expectation.

squidkid
08-27-2017, 05:29 AM
So, he's now good to go for the regular season? That's fantastic news! When did that happen?

Only someone with no actual answers resorts to name calling on a message board.

lol..............kettle, meet pot

Steelerphile
08-27-2017, 07:16 AM
Being the "15th corner picked" doesn't matter much in terms of the type of player Sutton. He is clearly a very aware player with good ball skills and will become an asset as long as his health stays good. He didn't go high because of a senior year injury and he ran in the 4.5s. Teams draft the athlete who runs 4.4 or better No. 1. But in terms of football IQ and ball skills, Sutton is a leading corner from the draft.

Slapstick
08-27-2017, 09:35 AM
lol..............kettle, meet pot

That's exactly what happened! Very observant!

squidkid
08-27-2017, 11:40 AM
That's exactly what happened! Very observant!

funny how you try to call this guy out for doing the exact same thing when i slap you around with facts..............lol classic

Slapstick
08-27-2017, 12:11 PM
funny how you try to call this guy out for doing the exact same thing when i slap you around with facts..............lol classic

:lol: I don't even call you names, and you DESERVE to be called names! But, go ahead and keep making stuff up...the next time you slap somebody around with facts will be the FIRST time...

Captain Lemming
08-28-2017, 12:52 AM
:lol: I don't even call you names, and you DESERVE to be called names! .

No true slappy.
Dude called HIMSELF Squidkid!!! Why would someone do that. Sounds like some kinda insult.
His name is in fact a "name" so we ALL call him names. :)

Captain Lemming
08-28-2017, 01:02 AM
the next time you slap somebody around with facts will be the FIRST time...

He has "alternative facts" perhaps? :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZp93vI4VOg

Shawn
08-28-2017, 01:13 PM
Which one of the starting CBs played below average last season? What I can tell you is the secondary as a whole was rated 17th in pass D. That means they are below average. Anyone watching them let other teams complete 65% of their throws, and totally %^&* their pants in the Pats game knows this secondary is average at best.

Shawn
08-28-2017, 01:14 PM
That is nice.
In all seriousness.
I would love nothing better than for Sutton to make me eat my words of criticism and outplay his "15th corner picked" expectation. Wouldnt we all.

feltdizz
08-28-2017, 01:36 PM
What I can tell you is the secondary as a whole was rated 17th in pass D. That means they are below average. Anyone watching them let other teams complete 65% of their throws, and totally %^&* their pants in the Pats game knows this secondary is average at best.

tale of 2 seasons.. first half was bad but once Davis, Burns, Hargrave and Dupree were on the field our pass defense was pretty good until the Pats game.

Slapstick
08-28-2017, 03:24 PM
tale of 2 seasons.. first half was bad but once Davis, Burns, Hargrave and Dupree were on the field our pass defense was pretty good until the Pats game.

This is true...as a defensive ranking, you have to take the whole body of work into account...but for practical purposes, think about this:

Last year, Houston had the top D by yardage with 301.3 yards per game...

After game 10, the Steelers allowed only 269.7 yards per game...we simply need the team to build on that...

pittpete
09-02-2017, 12:15 PM
Some bigger names being released now. Demarcus Ayers, Dashaun Phillips and JaCorey Shepherd all reportedly being let go.