PDA

View Full Version : Training Camp 8/5

Iron City Inc.
08-05-2017, 10:20 PM
Out today- 3 10 14 23 25 48 50 61 62o 73 99

New db JaCorey Sheppard #33 today and cut was Nelson Adams dt. Db injuries likely linked to this move.

Coates in sweats out early on jugs n Watson first player down the hill and also did extra jugs work.

Simple goal line passing drill: 83 Hamilton runs wrong route. :(
17 catches everything thrown including a few ankle high catches
16 Tucker a bit slow coming out of his cuts.
87 Odom drops 2 in this drill. Not good needs to get n stay focused.
Refs were at field today featuring Gene Steratore and a few of his regular crew.

7 shots: 7qb empty set out to 84 tipped away by 31
" " out to 11 inc flag on 24 for PI
" " TD to 81 with 24 in coverage
" ' TD to JuJu on curl beats Gay
5qb single back check down to 34 in flat TD
" inc to 88 not Dobbs first read going through progressions quick for a rook
" hook run by 15 nice hands catch for the TD

11 on 11:
7 qb 33 A gap run stopped by Chick n 24
33 again on same play 97 knifes in n holds it to no gain
34 takes a pitch cant get the edge Finney cant hold out Cam again no gain
34 on a counter but 56 n 44 read it and hold it to short gain
BBD takes a draw turns it up quick and goes 20 for the TD
5qb play action pulls backers up nice ball fake Mcgee open on a seam 15yd gain
4 hole run stuffed by 94 n 35 did not get who the back was. Alualu uses good tech staying low n keeping OL off his chest
39 hits A gap but d line shut it down along with 98 short gain
BBD on a gap run stuffed by both 93 n 90. Big D has started to make some noise not much but some.
8qb quick out to 15 ball getting out quick. Read may be predetermined.
Note Hunter banged his shoulder a bit but later returned.

Next 11 on 11:
7qb 11 runs a 9 had a step but ball batted down by 24 as ball was being tucked. Nice play by Coty.
56 beats 82 to the edge and it would be a sack Ben steps up n hits 84 on a deep dig.
88 runs a 9 well covered by 22 who makes the pick. Good tech nice play.
check down to 17 complete ifo 90. Watt needs to play receivers a bit tighter.
84 beats cover 2 zone D with deep out. To easy pitch n catch.
5qb 83 on a curl ifo 35 who gave to much space. easy pitch n catch
complete pass to 15 on in cut. Pass out on time. consistent theme
Hook to 87 who got open but another DROP. Needs to up his play.
8qb quick out to 15 ifo 35 to easy pitch n catch
9 run by 13 good cover by 29 but qb n wr not on same page in pass falls inc
another quick out to 15 excellent coverage by 40 Hilton keeps making plays pass inc

next 11 on 11;
7qb 17 runs a seam ball tipped away by 22 who is having solid day
84 on deep drag back of end zone TD. crowd loves it
bubble screen to 84 with 11 ouy front blocking TD. Again crowd loves the show.
check down to 17 nice hands catch for short gain
11 on a fade ball knocked away hard by 31 who was in perfect coverage.
AB runs a chair but 31 doesn't bite on the out good coverage again n ball tipped away
5qb 19 runs seam tipped away by Hilton who is solid today in coverage. Golson's hammy better get healed quick.
BBD on 8 hole run good stop by Walton
39 single back A gap run spopped by Alualu who uses hands to keep OLine off his chest n stays low for leverage n the stop.
93 presses pocket Dobbs has to roll out keeps eyes downfield hits Tucker for big gain.
35 on 6 hole run stopped by Kallon.
Note 41 Hughuenin looked to get head banged on goal line play in this sequence. Walked off field but gingerly.

Easy pitch n catch passing drill 5O on 7D. No linemen.
7qb inc to 84 on a drag covered by 31
inc to 81 with golden in tight coverage
17 runs an angle route TD on good low pass. Nice catch again by Rogers
5qb 90 covers 19 on a hook but pass held onto even with tight coverage
pass intended for JuJu on back shoulder throw but pass well off the mark fell inc. Rare off target throw
Hamilton runs a curl but 35 cuts under route and interception. Nice high point pick by Dixon
Odom runs a hook complete. Good hands catch. This is the one area Odom excels in like posting up but he needs more reps
8qb 16 beats 35 on a drag
16 runs a drag nice hands catch again.
38 catches pass in the flat ifo 90. To much cushion given by Watt. Coaches let him hear it too. Coverage skills need work.
11 on 11 red zone:
7qb 34 catches a screen shut down by 44
33 decent gain on cut back big block by TE Johnson
quick slant to 11 for TD. 11 has had more then 1 rep in the slot
19 on seam high points ball and perfectly timed TD pass with some serious zip on it.
slant to 84 TD good coverage by 31 but against AB good coverage isn't good enough
5qb BBD hits 8 hole solid block by Hawkins
35 on short gain stopped by 79
seam to 88 complete. Note 79 dropped into coverage. We may want to scrap that cover.
A gap dive and Big Dan plays right through Cooper n makes big stop.
BBD hits 5 hole but hole closed quick by 90 n 93
quick slant to JuJU another nice catch n another TD for the rookie.

Extra work: Harrison and Dupree working with Watt on pass rush and in particular top of the arc getting low using hands to play off being ridden wide. This is the key if flat out speed can not get you past the OT's outside shoulder. Nice to see the vets working with the rookie.

Summary: JuJu seems major league to me. Looks more veteran then rookie. Good skill set and should contribute early this year.
Houston has shown some improvement this week
Dobbs has been very good. Not facing much nickle and almost no dime coverage but still has looked more like a 2nd year player then a rookie. Accuracy is there and it has been good to watch. Quick decisions a big plus. Great start for this qb.
Matakevich appears capable of filling V Williams role. Made a lot of plays this week.
Hunter had a nice week. Looks solid n we could use him with Coates n Bryant at this point not on the field.
Alualu another solid pro who has helped me forget Cam Thomas by having a good camp to this point.
T J Watt worker grinder who has solid motor and seems to be getting close to making a bunch of plays this week. Should continue to
improve and will contribute early in 17.
Draft class and free agents are off to a good start. Further improvements are needed, I'm going back to work this week so I won't be able to catch the daily growth of this 2017 team though I'm likely going to the Meadowlands for week 1. Hope you enjoyed the write ups as I enjoyed bringing them to you. My buds at the Depo do a super job keeping folks posted on camp reports on a daily basis. Give them a look for additional Steeler news.

Northern_Blitz
08-05-2017, 11:23 PM
Thanks Iron City! Really appreciate your thoughts throughout camp.

NorthCoast
08-06-2017, 09:08 AM
I honestly don't think Golson makes the cut this season. Too many intriguing options for the Steelers. It's tough, but as Tomlin likes to say, 'we play with the guys that are available'.

Shoe
08-06-2017, 11:32 AM
I honestly don't think Golson makes the cut this season. Too many intriguing options for the Steelers. It's tough, but as Tomlin likes to say, 'we play with the guys that are available'.

Are there really "intriguing" options? I actually would consider Golson intriguing, considering the upside he had (albeit it 2+ years ago). The other guys (Hilton, Sensabaugh, this kid Allen who I think is destined for PS anyway), I don't consider them to be anything to potentially write home about any way.

Golson has/had the potential to be a starter in this league.

(Nice report, ICI.)

Slapstick
08-06-2017, 01:32 PM
I think the Sensabaugh signing was a good one...in 2015, playing in Dick LeBeau's defense, he started 15 games...he recorded 60 tackles, 8 passes defended, and 2 INTs (including a pick 6)...this is at least comparable to William Gay's production when he was considered our best CB...

If he is comfortable in our defense and can play that well, the Steelers may have found something...

SidSmythe
08-06-2017, 02:06 PM
Since we're talking GOLSON I say if he's not on the field for the 1st preseason game then its time to move on.
I don't care how good or how much potential a guy has, if he's not on the field it's pointless.

williar
08-06-2017, 07:46 PM
Thanks - ICI!

NorthCoast
08-06-2017, 08:12 PM
Are there really "intriguing" options? I actually would consider Golson intriguing, considering the upside he had (albeit it 2+ years ago). The other guys (Hilton, Sensabaugh, this kid Allen who I think is destined for PS anyway), I don't consider them to be anything to potentially write home about any way.

Golson has/had the potential to be a starter in this league.

(Nice report, ICI.)Potential means squat if he can't get or stay on the field. 'The other guys' are making plays in camp... Golson... not so much. Sensabaugh appears to be settling in quite nicely. And Allen may go the PS but at least he is practicing.

Eich
08-07-2017, 08:28 AM
I don't know how you do this IC! I went to practice Saturday and would have to video record the whole thing and play it back 100 times to jot down the details you've written! Are you sure you're not the guy up in one of the cherry-pickers recording the practices?

Iron City Inc.
08-07-2017, 10:01 AM
I don't know how you do this IC! I went to practice Saturday and would have to video record the whole thing and play it back 100 times to jot down the details you've written! Are you sure you're not the guy up in one of the cherry-pickers recording the practices?
No just a pen n paper note guy. Did advanced scouting back in by coaching days (high school only) and for those old school guys you may remember 5 circle pages. Believe me I don't see everything because often more then one sometimes three different things are going on at once. All the more reason to read other camp reports because things get missed. Depo guys I'm with have been to combine's ,Senior Bowls and believe me they are more thorough then me and they miss stuff too. I just give you what I see and if I'm not sure on a play or 1 on 1 drill (ie: did the OL hold) I'll leave it out rather then say Gilbert blocked Tuitt if I believed Gilbert may have been holding.

RuthlessBurgher
08-07-2017, 10:32 AM
Awesome job once again...many thanks.

RuthlessBurgher
08-07-2017, 10:56 AM
2017 Steelers Training Camp Nuggets: What you need to know from the 8/5 practice

Getting you caught up on another training camp practice for the black and gold!

by Kelly Anozie
Aug 6, 2017, 9:30am EDT

Today’s practice following ‘Friday Night Lights’ was a short, but spirited practice. The emphasis for today’s session was the red zone. The entire practice was dedicated to red zone team periods, and red zone drills. In general, this session featured a laundry list of players that sat out, an injury scare to a key training camp player, the addition of a new player, and a familiar face reminding everyone of his greatness.

Let’s go.

Injury Report:

It seems with every practice, the list of non-participants gets longer. James Conner (shoulder) did not dress in pads, but he was participating in position drills, running routes and catching, which is a good sign of his condition improving. Cameron Sutton (hamstring), Landry Jones (abdominal), Senquez Golson (hamstring), Bud Dupree (unknown), Ryan Shazier (unknown) and Mike Mitchell (foot/ankle) all remained out.

Adding to this list was Artie Burns, who suffered a leg injury during the ‘Seven shots’ drill yesterday. According to Head Coach Mike Tomlin, Burns’ leg injury had already been evaluated; the severity of the injury is still unknown. In addition, UDFA center/guard Mike Matthews was seen with a wrap on his leg. Matthews has had a good camp thus far, mainly playing on the 2nd and 3rd team offensive line.

The most notable injury scare to report involved rising receiver Justin Hunter. As reported by Steelers writer Jon Ledyard, and others, Hunter abruptly left one of drill favoring his left arm (some reported it was his shoulder). Hunter attempted to go back in but was called back by his coaches. Hunter eventually came back in after being looked after by trainers, but he did drop a deep ball through by Ben Roethlisberger. One can speculate that he was still bothered by his injury.

The other injury scare involved UDFA defensive lineman Farrington Huguenin, who has quietly been solid throughout training camp according to different reports I viewed. He was later seen walking back to the locker room.

New Signing:

Before the beginning of training camp, the Steelers announced the signing of former Philadelphia Eagles’ sixth round pick, cornerback JaCorey Shepherd. To make room for him, UDFA defensive lineman Nelson Adams was released. With mounting list of defensive backs getting injured, this signing was needed. From what I was informed about Shepherd, he is good at press coverage and has high-level ball skills. Time will tell if he’s more than just a camp body.

Notable Performers:

•All-Pro Wide receiver Antonio Brown was doing things that only Antonio Brown can do. In case people forgot, he reminded everyone in camp why he is the No. 1 receiver on the team.

From all accounts, he was catching everything, and at different angles. As reported by ESPN Senior Writer Jeremy Fowler, cornerback Ross Cockrell requested to cover Brown during the offense vs defense drill. Cockrell had a few good moments against Brown, but overall was outmatched. Brown went on to make a couple of deep open field catches, a slant pattern touchdown and a twisting end zone grab. Brown put an exclamation mark on the day, with a play Fowler deemed as the “highlight of day”. While on the move, Roethlisberger threw a pass across his body to the back of the end zone, where Antonio Brown was being double-teamed. Brown leaped up and made the touchdown with both toes in. According to Fowler, the coverage was good but Brown was much better.

Truly, Antonio Brown speaks for himself.

One the best plays Ben to AB. Twist , Toe touch. I got the Instant replay to verify touchdown #steelers #nfl #steelernation @Steelersdepot pic.twitter.com/E0gM8h6tWB
— T R (@TimotRice) August 5, 2017

•The more I read reports about the types of catches JuJu Smith-Schuster is making, I often wonder if he’s into yoga or ballet (it worked for Lynn Swann). Throughout training camp, Smith-Schuster has made it a habit of making difficult catches. As reported by Ledyard, Smith-Schuster made another highlight-worth catch in which the ball was thrown behind him, but was able to adjust his body to reel in the ball. He doesn’t make every catch but when he does, he make it count.

• Cornerback Mike Hilton had another solid day which included yet another end zone pass breakup. If we track back to every training camp session in pads the Steelers have had thus far, he has managed at least one pass breakup (in exception to yesterday’s practice). If Hilton can translate these performances into the upcoming preseaon games, then the discussion should begin about how the Steelers can keep him on the roster.
• Speaking of cornerbacks, William Gay was noted to have a pretty good day as well with an interception and pass breakup. No matter what anyone says about Gay, he seems to continue to be a rock in the defensive secondary.

Free Martavis Counter: 10 Days

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2017/8/6/16102466/2017-steelers-training-camp-nuggets-what-you-need-to-know-from-the-8-5-practice-preseason-nfl

feltdizz
08-07-2017, 11:54 AM
I would be shocked if we let Gay go this year.

pittpete
08-07-2017, 12:08 PM
He did look pretty good out there...Early in the season though and not sure if he wont break down by end of the season.
Hopefully we don't burn him out like last year

pittpete
08-07-2017, 12:10 PM
wrong thread