PDA

View Full Version : DeMock

SteelerOfDeVille
04-15-2017, 01:22 PM
Let's officially throw my hat into the ring with mocks. This is as much wishful thinking as anything else and obviously open for discussion (on a discussion board).

1. Zach Cunningham, ILB, Vanderbilt – I keep seeing this kid falling to early second in mocks. Personally think he’s a top 15 player (and future pro bowler in this league). Fills a position of lesser need, but, if he’s really on the board at this pick, he’s just too good to pass up, I don't care what other guys are there at a position of need. He'd truly be BPA

2. Derek Rivers – OLB, Youngstown St – The moment the season ended, I claimed we'd see a repeat of the Timmons-Woodley draft 10 years ago. Kid has the right blend of athleticism and “nasty” to be a really good OLB in this league.

3a. Sidney Jones, CB, Washington – This kid is a first round talent at a position of need. People return from achilles injuries much better than they did 20 years ago. Only reason he’s here is the redshirt rookie year he’s about to face – but, may be the best cover CB in this draft (pre-injury). Honestly, I'd trade up to make this happen, (and that might be what is needed to do so).

3b. Bucky Hodges, TE, VT – Ben gets his TE, and a talented one, too. Size/speed ratio is excellent. Will require some fine tuning of route-running and blocking/strength

4. Jeremy McNichols, RB, Boise – would be a perfect relief pitcher for LeVeon. Good hands, good vision, good patience. Wouldn’t require much adjustment in the offensive schemes because he has a lot of similar traits (though, not quite as good at them as LeVeon).

5. John Johnson, S, Boston College - very good in coverage, but, pedestrian 40 time drops him a bit. Instincts are good and plays faster than his timed 40 (4.61).

6. Isaac Rochell, DE, Notre Dame - run stuffing DE who is average at pass rush. Would be an excellent 34 DE who could learn from fellow ND alum Stephon Tuitt

calmkiller
04-15-2017, 03:08 PM
What do you have against the 7th round?

SteelCrazy
04-15-2017, 08:18 PM
I like calmkillers a bit more....but id be ok with demock

RuthlessBurgher
04-15-2017, 09:39 PM
Let's officially throw my hat into the ring with mocks. This is as much wishful thinking as anything else and obviously open for discussion (on a discussion board).

1. Zach Cunningham, ILB, Vanderbilt – I keep seeing this kid falling to early second in mocks. Personally think he’s a top 15 player (and future pro bowler in this league). Fills a position of lesser need, but, if he’s really on the board at this pick, he’s just too good to pass up, I don't care what other guys are there at a position of need. He'd truly be BPA

2. Derek Rivers – OLB, Youngstown St – The moment the season ended, I claimed we'd see a repeat of the Timmons-Woodley draft 10 years ago. Kid has the right blend of athleticism and “nasty” to be a really good OLB in this league.

3a. Sidney Jones, CB, Washington – This kid is a first round talent at a position of need. People return from achilles injuries much better than they did 20 years ago. Only reason he’s here is the redshirt rookie year he’s about to face – but, may be the best cover CB in this draft (pre-injury). Honestly, I'd trade up to make this happen, (and that might be what is needed to do so).

3b. Bucky Hodges, TE, VT – Ben gets his TE, and a talented one, too. Size/speed ratio is excellent. Will require some fine tuning of route-running and blocking/strength

4. Jeremy McNichols, RB, Boise – would be a perfect relief pitcher for LeVeon. Good hands, good vision, good patience. Wouldn’t require much adjustment in the offensive schemes because he has a lot of similar traits (though, not quite as good at them as LeVeon).

5. John Johnson, S, Boston College - very good in coverage, but, pedestrian 40 time drops him a bit. Instincts are good and plays faster than his timed 40 (4.61).

6. Isaac Rochell, DE, Notre Dame - run stuffing DE who is average at pass rush. Would be an excellent 34 DE who could learn from fellow ND alum Stephon Tuitt

Zach Cunningham at #1, Sidney Jones at #3a, John Johnson at #5 (plus Derek Rivers would be my fallback at #2 if Jordan Willis is off the board)...I see you choose your mock draft picks like you choose your Monday Night Executive games...just make about half hour picks the same as mine, and it's all good. ;)

Rara
04-16-2017, 12:18 AM
I do like picks 1-3b!

SidSmythe
04-16-2017, 10:41 AM
I'd be OK w this draft.

Shoe
04-16-2017, 11:01 AM
Thanks. I'll go read up on this Cunningham kid. I like reading other's mocks, because I don't know much about these prospects as I used to... As your draft goes, looks good. I think the team is looking hard at a QB. I would be surprised if one of our picks doesn't end up a QB.

SteelerOfDeVille
04-16-2017, 01:47 PM
What do you have against the 7th round?LOL... TIME... wife was over my shoulder rushing me to go...

SteelerOfDeVille
04-16-2017, 02:26 PM
Zach Cunningham at #1, Sidney Jones at #3a, John Johnson at #5 (plus Derek Rivers would be my fallback at #2 if Jordan Willis is off the board)...I see you choose your mock draft picks like you choose your Monday Night Executive games...just make about half hour picks the same as mine, and it's all good. ;)
Great minds, bro! I'd be good with your mock, for sure. Almost put Tanoh in mine and have watched vids on Elijah Hood - easily worthy of a selection at that point.

My biggest concerns is it feels like some of those guys won't actually be there (Cunningham at one point was mocked top 10, hard to believe he'd be there that late). I know Jones tore his achilles, but, I suspect someone takes him before he gets to our pick in the 3rd.

SteelerOfDeVille
04-16-2017, 02:31 PM
Thanks. I'll go read up on this Cunningham kid. I like reading other's mocks, because I don't know much about these prospects as I used to... As your draft goes, looks good. I think the team is looking hard at a QB. I would be surprised if one of our picks doesn't end up a QB.typed a reply that disappeared. not sure what happened. the short of it:
the good: diagnoses and reacts quickly. has good hands and sifts through traffic to find the ball. With shazier, this would be a LB corps that would FLY to the ball (not as fast as shazier, but, reacts quickly)
the bad: he's small-ish. him and Shazier (who is also small) could get moved in short yardage situations. Would need VW to fill in as a specialty ILB.

here's a vid of a game where he's highlighted for ease of watching just him. Give him 15-20 plays and I think you'd like what you see...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lLuxlKhfUk

SteelCrazy
04-17-2017, 12:18 AM
I don't like Cunningham in the first the more tape I watch of him. He can't shed a block. Tackles high...Guesses wrong a lot on the offensive plays. Maybe in the late second round....not in the first. Don't see it.

NFL .COM agrees with me on two outta three.....

ANALYSIS
STRENGTHS Play-making machine. Plays on a downhill tilt and is always looking to draw first blood. Fast to see it, process and respond. Creates tackles for losses by shooting gaps at appropriate angles. Has a good feel for blockers and uses varied speeds and subtle upper body turns to avoid blockers on second level. Quick in his lateral scrape and races ahead of blockers. Keeps play-side shoulder uncovered when flowing to the ball. Football magnet with outstanding tackle production and ability to create and recover turnovers. Rangy long strider with instincts and play speed to carry him from sideline to sideline in search of the ball. Has extended tackle radius. Durable and reliable. Has the athleticism and awareness to handle man coverage responsibilities against running backs and tight ends. Quick to trigger on throws from zone and limit yards after catch.

WEAKNESSES Angular build with high waist and skinny legs. Lack of power in his lower body creates issues with contact balance for him. Plays behind his shoulder rather than behind his hands in take-on situations. Can get entangled against size and slow to disengage. Doesn't have play strength to fight past angle blocks once they land. Will need to work to keep shoulders squared in his attack. Leveraging his gap and standing his ground could be a challenge. Not a banger or a bend-and-strike finisher. Tends to attack ball carriers up high rather than down low and will slide off of too many would-be tackles.

MeetJoeGreene
04-17-2017, 09:07 PM
That is an excellent mock draft

SteelCrazy
04-17-2017, 09:16 PM
That is an excellent mock draft

LMAO!! Where has that been all pre draft season?

SteelerOfDeVille
04-18-2017, 09:15 AM
LMAO!! Where has that been all pre draft season?i've seen it at least one other time... lol

SteelCrazy
04-19-2017, 10:13 PM
i've seen it at least one other time... lol

What are your reasons for liking Cunningham in the first? Just curious. I listed my reasons as to why not above....right up there at the top of the page....do u see it???...j/k, but would like to know why a few of u here like him so much that youd pick him n the 1st.

SteelerOfDeVille
04-20-2017, 11:20 AM
What are your reasons for liking Cunningham in the first? Just curious. I listed my reasons as to why not above....right up there at the top of the page....do u see it???...j/k, but would like to know why a few of u here like him so much that youd pick him n the 1st.
Honestly, what I see over and over causing me to like him are pretty much listed in the positives from your post.

* Usually the first on the field to diagnose AND respond to the offensive play happening. Off the chart instincts
* Makes a LOT of tackles at or behind the LOS because of above point
* Not Shazier (elite) speed, but, EXCELLENT play speed. Would be a quick fire LB corps.

His weakness are all due to the same issue - he lacks strength and is slim-ish.

You can't teach his instinct and reaction times, but, gaining strength should be easy in the Steelers program. On this team, I have no question that will be handled. One year in an NFL strength program (with James Harrison as a mentor) and this kid will become a Pro Bowl caliber player

His profile reads a lot like I imagine Timmons' would have 10 years ago... And probably not much different than Shazier's did a couple of years ago. "plays fast. arrives at the ball first. needs strength"

You'd need to keep VW on short yardage packages (much like he subbed in for Shazier in the past).

SteelCrazy
04-20-2017, 02:21 PM
Honestly, what I see over and over causing me to like him are pretty much listed in the positives from your post.

* Usually the first on the field to diagnose AND respond to the offensive play happening. Off the chart instincts
* Makes a LOT of tackles at or behind the LOS because of above point
* Not Shazier (elite) speed, but, EXCELLENT play speed. Would be a quick fire LB corps.

His weakness are all due to the same issue - he lacks strength and is slim-ish.

You can't teach his instinct and reaction times, but, gaining strength should be easy in the Steelers program. On this team, I have no question that will be handled. One year in an NFL strength program (with James Harrison as a mentor) and this kid will become a Pro Bowl caliber player

His profile reads a lot like I imagine Timmons' would have 10 years ago... And probably not much different than Shazier's did a couple of years ago. "plays fast. arrives at the ball first. needs strength"

You'd need to keep VW on short yardage packages (much like he subbed in for Shazier in the past).

I do admit VW short comings makes him look appealing. However, he has some issues himself but most could be corrected, but tackling high should have been addressed long ago. Makes me think he cant help himself. He does produce though...

SteelerOfDeVille
04-20-2017, 02:26 PM
I do admit VW short comings makes him look appealing. However, he has some issues himself but most could be corrected, but tackling high should have been addressed long ago. Makes me think he cant help himself. He does produce though...yup, VW is a run stuffer. a thumper between the tackles. but, he aint that fast and suspect in coverage. i think the two of them could share responsibilities for fall 2017 while ZC got stronger and learned. By 2018, ZC would play more plays.

Real Deal Steel
04-20-2017, 07:53 PM
Is Haason Reddick worth trading up for?