PDA

View Full Version : Mel Kiper 3.0

phillyesq
03-22-2017, 02:41 PM
Link below:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2017/insider/story/_/id/18970947/mel-kiper-2017-nfl-mock-draft-30-round-1-picks

A few interesting notes:

- McKinley to Bengals at 9
- Reddick to Saints at 11
- Tyus Bowser to Steelers (has Charles Harris off the board at 21, but Carl Lawson, Derek Rivers and TJ Watt, among others, still on the board).

I'd be happy with Bowser in the second, but I haven't seen him listed by anybody as a first round pick yet.

feltdizz
03-22-2017, 02:52 PM
dude, you need to copy and paste, that link is to Insider.

Oviedo
03-22-2017, 03:31 PM
dude, you need to copy and paste, that link is to Insider.

It says:

30. Pittsburgh Steelers

Tyus Bowser, OLB, Houston

You might remember Bowser from the time he got in a fight with a teammate and broke an orbital bone the day before a game, but he has made a name for himself from his play on the field, too. He had 8.5 sacks and 12 tackles for loss for the Cougars in only eight games last season. Bowser (6-3, 247) is perfect for a 3-4 team like the Steelers, and he is rising up draft boards after testing incredibly well at the combine with a 4.65 40 and 37.5-inch vertical. Pittsburgh brought back James Harrison , who at 38 could be a mentor to Bowser.

feltdizz
03-22-2017, 03:35 PM
Thank you.

Real Deal Steel
03-22-2017, 04:35 PM
Bowser, hmmmm. Have to do some digging on him.

SteelCrazy
03-22-2017, 05:09 PM
If we pick Bowser in the first 2 rounds I'll find Colbert and kick him. Mel Kiper is brain dead. Bowser gets swallowed up by tackles and at times TEs. Isn't explosive at all and I question his playing strength. He does understand the position though and wouldn't be a bad pick in rounds 3-6.

feltdizz
03-22-2017, 05:46 PM
If we pick Bowser in the first 2 rounds I'll find Colbert and kick him. Mel Kiper is brain dead. Bowser gets swallowed up by tackles and at times TEs. Isn't explosive at all and I question his playing strength. He does understand the position though and wouldn't be a bad pick in rounds 3-6.
I wonder how much agents pay Kiper to make some of these picks.

NorthCoast
03-22-2017, 06:52 PM
I wonder how much agents pay Kiper to make some of these picks.Yep. You best believe there is money changing hands every time he updates a mock.... hate the dude, but knows how to market himself.

Rara
03-22-2017, 06:53 PM
Only thing about him is his last name. I wouldn't draft him in the first..even if the Steelers are at the end. Watt would be my pick (depending on who was still available). I still think Rivers is a third or fourth round pick..but someone will reach for him.

SidSmythe
03-22-2017, 07:20 PM
Kiper has never got a Steeler pick correct

feltdizz
03-22-2017, 09:26 PM
Kiper has never got a Steeler pick correct

I don't think Kiper has ever got any pick correct. Dude is a great hype machine but I rarely see him predict a puck that comes true.

RuthlessBurgher
03-22-2017, 09:31 PM
Yeah, I never watch ESPN draft coverage with Kiper and McShay.

Much prefer former Steeler draft pick Mike Mayock on NFL Network.

SteelCrazy
03-22-2017, 09:32 PM
Only thing about him is his last name. I wouldn't draft him in the first..even if the Steelers are at the end. Watt would be my pick (depending on who was still available). I still think Rivers is a third or fourth round pick..but someone will reach for him.

Someone finally agrees with me about TJ Watt! A month or two ago everyone on here was calling me an idiot for having him as our first pick...

steelerkeylargo
03-22-2017, 10:02 PM
Actually Kipers final mock each year is one of the more accurate in the industry. This is mainly due to his connections and what people tell him more so than his own ability to evaluate talent. Check back in a month and you'll see a mock draft much closer to what will actually happen.

RuthlessBurgher
03-22-2017, 10:27 PM
The best final mock submitted a day or two before the draft tended to be Rick Gosselin from Dallas until he stopped doing it a few years ago.

calmkiller
03-23-2017, 07:08 AM
Kiper can get some picks right. With that said I never ever listen to what he thinks is going to happen with the steelers, because he simply doesn't know. I have a better track record than he does.

feltdizz
03-23-2017, 08:48 AM
The best final mock submitted a day or two before the draft tended to be Rick Gosselin from Dallas until he stopped doing it a few years ago.

I bet ESPN and Kiper sent goons to Dallas.

SidSmythe
03-23-2017, 09:34 AM

Mayock is top notch. He's the only guy i'll listen too.

Real Deal Steel
03-23-2017, 11:41 AM
Mayock is my guy too. He's my "look to" guy.

phillyesq
03-23-2017, 12:13 PM

Mayock is my favorite, by far. I just posted Kiper's pick for the sake of discussion, now that FA is winding down.

Rara
03-23-2017, 01:57 PM
Who does Mayock have the Steelers taking?

RuthlessBurgher
03-23-2017, 02:07 PM
Who does Mayock have the Steelers taking?
Mayock doesn't release a mock until the night before the draft.

For now, he updates his top 5 players at each position on a regular basis.

In his most recent update this week, I was shocked that he elevated Jabrill Peppers above Adams and Hooker among safeties.

Real Deal Steel
03-23-2017, 02:25 PM
That is shocking.

Peppers: jack of all trades; master of none.

RuthlessBurgher
03-23-2017, 02:44 PM
That is shocking.

Peppers: jack of all trades; master of none.

Yeah, Malik Hooker is probably my favorite player in this draft, Jamal Adams could be a David Fulcher like enforcer back there, Obi Melifonwu has an amazing combination of size/speed/skill/athleticism that teams dream about, and Budda Baker is just a fun guy to watch as an undersized FS who can also play some slot corner, but flies around the field like a linebacker. But I don't know what to make of Peppers. He seems like the kind of guy who could be a better college player than an NFL player.

SteelCrazy
03-23-2017, 03:05 PM
Yeah, Malik Hooker is probably my favorite player in this draft, Jamal Adams could be a David Fulcher like enforcer back there, Obi Melifonwu has an amazing combination of size/speed/skill/athleticism that teams dream about, and Budda Baker is just a fun guy to watch as an undersized FS who can also play some slot corner, but flies around the field like a linebacker. But I don't know what to make of Peppers. He seems like the kind of guy who could be a better college player than an NFL player.

I love me some Obi one....
I have us taking him in round 2 but that was before the combine.....

SteelBucks
03-23-2017, 08:02 PM
Yeah, Malik Hooker is probably my favorite player in this draft

Tomlin attended The Ohio State Pro Day today. No interview but they said he paid particular attention to Hooker, Marshon Lattimore and Raekwon McMillan. Both Hooker and Lattimore will long gone by the time the Steelers pick but McMillan may be around...possibly in the 2nd round. Tomlin is said to be interested in him as an ILB and McMillan has a pre-draft visit scheduled.

SS Laser
03-23-2017, 11:34 PM
Not sure the Sparq score on last years 1&2 picks. But recent drafts point to that being used. I am thinking Shazier and Dupree for sure. Wonder why it is not main stream yet for some of the higher mock draft guys? Good read on some Edge guys here. https://www.google.com/amp/www.bloggingtheboys.com/platform/amp/2017/3/23/15013922/finding-the-superior-athlete-impact-defensive-ends-in-the-2017-nfl
Besides the most important tape,medical and character I see why Lawson is on the radar. They also have another metric they use on that link. It has Bud and chic listed for your reading enjoyment.

Real Deal Steel
03-24-2017, 10:51 AM

Obi Melifonwu is the one that is fascinating to me. He would be a great asset in our secondary.

Oviedo
03-24-2017, 04:23 PM
Tomlin attended The Ohio State Pro Day today. No interview but they said he paid particular attention to Hooker, Marshon Lattimore and Raekwon McMillan. Both Hooker and Lattimore will long gone by the time the Steelers pick but McMillan may be around...possibly in the 2nd round. Tomlin is said to be interested in him as an ILB and McMillan has a pre-draft visit scheduled.

I'd much rather have Zach Cunningham than McMillan.

Oviedo
03-24-2017, 04:26 PM

You can't see Butler using Peppers like LeBeau used Troy? IMO Pepeers has the same skill set and with all the sub packages we run could be on the field a ton of plays. Could be the guy we put out there to take away the opponents good receiving TEs since Timmons is gone and Williams can't cover a TE to save his life.

winwithd
03-24-2017, 04:59 PM
Obi Melifonwu is the one that is fascinating to me. He would be a great asset in our secondary.

I'm wondering if Obi can play ILB. Didnt the Falcons have a tweener playing that role to good results?
Isn't he as heavy as Farrior was?

SS Laser
03-25-2017, 12:26 AM
I would say he could and yes not much weight difference with Farrior and others. As been pointed out in another thread here, thumper RB's are a dieing breed. So a lighter faster ILB is not as much of a liability. But could still be used as a weak point to a defense. Still good to have a VW type player around or dirty red. But to have a speed coverage guy in packages is a great idea.

Besides OBI and there are a few other players with some speed and size for a hybrid role in the draft I like. Based on only height, weight and speed. Have not looked for any tape yet. Josh Jones, Jordan Evans, Delano Hill. All listed close to 220 or over. Could end up what 5-10 good pounds heavier and stronger in the NFL. Both safeties do not have length like Obi but are 4.4x guys. And should have good coverage skills. Evans does have some length in height over the safeties. But I have not checked on any arm length or vert ability to compare. Evans is right at a 4.51. But heavier already at 232 and listed as a ILB. So not sure of his coverage skills compared to the safeties. Just a few other possible "hybrid" role players if Obi is gone.

SS Laser
03-25-2017, 12:43 AM
I would say he could and yes not much weight difference with Farrior and others. As been pointed out in another thread here, thumper RB's are a dieing breed. So a lighter faster ILB is not as much of a liability. But could still be used as a weak point to a defense. Still good to have a VW type player around or dirty red. But to have a speed coverage guy in packages is a great idea. Some might survive in a base 3-4 ILB role. Shazier looks good to me. And two 4.4 speed guys sounds so good at times.

Besides Obi there are a few other players with some speed and size for a hybrid ILB/S role in the draft. Based on only height, weight and speed. Have not looked for any tape yet. Josh Jones, Jordan Evans, Delano Hill. All listed close to 220 or over. Could end up what 5-10 good pounds heavier and stronger in the NFL. Both safeties do not have length like Obi but are 4.4x guys. And should have good coverage skills. Evans does have some length in height over the safeties. But I have not checked on any arm length or vert ability to compare. Evans is right at a 4.51. But heavier already at 232 and listed as a ILB. So not sure of his coverage skills compared to the safeties. Just a few other possible "hybrid" role players if Obi is gone. There are a few more pure ILB and safeties that could fit as a coverage ILB but are slower no wow speed.