PDA

View Full Version : Report: UConn S Obi Melifonwu to meet Steelers, Saints, Seahawks

SteelCrazy
03-12-2017, 03:56 PM
Report: UConn S Obi Melifonwu to meet Steelers, Saints, Seahawks

The Seattle Seahawks, Pittsburgh Steelers, New Orleans Saints schedule meetings with UConn S Obi Melifonwu per the Houston Chronicle.

Derek Lewis - 2 hours ago
One of the darlings of the NFL Scouting Combine has three teams hot on his trail in the coming weeks.

According to the Houston Chronicles' Aaron Wilson, the Seattle Seahawks, Pittsburgh Steelers and New Orleans Saints are all set to meet with University of Connecticut safety Obe Melifonwu.

Melifonwu not highly touted out of high school made waves at the combine with impressive results. His draft stock has been on the rise ever since.

The 6-4, 224-pound safety didn't just rest on his prototypical size at the combine. He added the best 40 time (4.4 sec.), broad jump (141 in.) and vertical jump (44 in.) at his position among all who tested in Indy.

Meanwhile on the field, he showed out in 2016, as well. He led his team with a 128 tackles and four interceptions.

All the teams rumored to be interested have a pressing need at the safety position, especially the Saints with their less than stellar pass defense the last two seasons. The Steelers have also fallen on hard times in recent years in terms of defending the pass although nobody tops the Saints.

The Seahawks are looking for depth at the position with Earl Thomas and DeShawn Shead -- two starters among their defensive back corp -- both saddled with significant injuries.

CBSSpots projects him as the third best safety prospect (32nd overall) which makes him a late first round to early second round selection.

http://pit.247sports.com/Bolt/Report-UConn-S-Obi-Melifonwu-to-meet-Steelers-Saints-Seahawks-51738531

SteelCrazy
03-12-2017, 04:01 PM
A video embedded on the website says CB Sidney Jones may have an ACL or MCL injury that happened at his pro day.

Iron City Inc.
03-12-2017, 05:09 PM
Obi will have to be drafted at 30. Guys that big and quick get drafted early.

Rara
03-12-2017, 06:43 PM
Damn...would it really worth drafting him in the first? I think linebacker is more of a need than safety. Say if the Steelers draft this guy...would they make him wait until Mitchell is gone or would they have him at corner? I can't see the Steelers just dumping Mitchell.

Chadman
03-12-2017, 07:19 PM
Well, he could be instantly used in the sub packages, replacing Vince Williams on 3rd down say, so he could have value along with keeping Mike Mitchell, for now, with a look to replacing Mitchell next season.

SteelCrazy
03-12-2017, 07:26 PM
Damn...would it really worth drafting him in the first? I think linebacker is more of a need than safety. Say if the Steelers draft this guy...would they make him wait until Mitchell is gone or would they have him at corner? I can't see the Steelers just dumping Mitchell.

I agree. I have us picking him in the 2nd, but that's before he slightly moved up due to the combine. Maybe we trade up for him in the early part of the 2nd....lol

Shawn
03-13-2017, 06:20 AM
In the first? I wouldn't.

Mr.wizard
03-13-2017, 06:45 AM

The question is will there be a LB there that is worth taking in that spot? If not I can see them filling a less pressing need by taking a guy they want.

Shawn
03-13-2017, 09:18 AM
The question is will there be a LB there that is worth taking in that spot? If not I can see them filling a less pressing need by taking a guy they want. Great question. I've been looking and really the only guys I think worth taking there both have health concerns. Takk, Lawson, Peppers and now add this guy to the list of possible first rounders. I have a very narrow list of who I believe the Steelers will take in that spot. Mahommes is a remote possibility as well.

phillyesq
03-13-2017, 09:38 AM
Some of what I've read suggests that the Steelers may be looking at Melifonwu as a corner or as a dime linebacker. A guy like that would be an intriguing option in the slot, matched up on big TEs, or in some sort of nickel/dime alignment. Or matched up outside on big WRs. I can see him giving you a lot of options on defense.

I really want the Steelers to grab an OLB in the first. The chances of finding a good edge rusher drop off dramatically after the first round. But if all the guys they want in the first are gone, maybe you get a versatile guy like this to help the defense.

Iron City Inc.
03-13-2017, 11:06 AM
Great question. I've been looking and really the only guys I think worth taking there both have health concerns. Takk, Lawson, Peppers and now add this guy to the list of possible first rounders. I have a very narrow list of who I believe the Steelers will take in that spot. Mahommes is a remote possibility as well.
Shawn you know I always value your opinion. I have to ask why isn't Watt in consideration? He isn't the physical freak that fits the profile of some of our 1st rounders but he isn't that far off.

Real Deal Steel
03-13-2017, 12:02 PM
Looks like a specimen for sure. Would love to have him but that would require Colbert getting creative and getting back to the top of the second round to do it. Colbert creative? Naaaaw. Those two words should never be used in the same sentence.

RuthlessBurgher
03-13-2017, 01:52 PM
If Watt is truly your guy, you don't mess around being creative. You take him at #30. Frankly, I would be at all surprised if the teams picking right before us (Dallas or Green Bay) take him off the board in the late 20's.

RuthlessBurgher
10-23-2018, 05:45 PM
By Charean Williams
October 23, 2018, 5:26 PM EDT
Raiders waive Obi Melifonwu off IR

The Raiders have waived safety Obi Melifonwu off injured reserve, the team announced.

A second-round pick in 2017, Melifonwu’s departure follows the exits of other highly drafted players — Amari Cooper and Khalil Mack at the top of the list — since Jon Gruden took over as head coach.

The Raiders waived Melifonwu with an injury designation during the preseason, and he reverted to injured reserve after clearing waivers. The team had hoped someone would claim him.

Melifonwu’s base salary of $669,972 this season is guaranteed.

The injury during an Aug. 6 practice was reported as a lower-body injury, continuing Melifonwu’s bad luck in staying healthy.

He started only one game as a rookie and played just four other games last season. Melifonwu first dealt with a knee problem and then a hip injury landed him on injured reserve.

pittpete
10-23-2018, 06:33 PM
He'd fit right in to replace Burnett...LOL

Buzz
10-23-2018, 08:05 PM
He'd fit right in to replace Burnett...LOL

Shhhh .... Steelers might hear this and decide to sign him.

Iron City Inc.
10-23-2018, 08:14 PM
Sign him as a buck c if he can fill a need. Special teams a must. I like Dangerfield but he could be replaced.

RuthlessBurgher
11-05-2018, 12:57 PM
By Darin Gantt
Nov 5, 2018, 11:27 AM EST
Patriots signing safety Obi Melifonwu

The Patriots have built a reputation by picking up castoffs and finding new roles for them, and they’re trying it again with their secondary.

According to Adam Schefter of ESPN, former Raiders safety Obi Melifonwu is signing with New England.

Melifonwu has made the rounds since being released by Oakland in Oct. 23 (though he was waived-injured in August), taking visits with the Cowboys, Saints, and Chiefs as well.

His athleticism was what drew the Raiders to take him 56th overall in 2017, and the Patriots have often figured out how to tap into such potential.