PDA

View Full Version : Steelers FA moves...

SteelCrazy
03-09-2017, 05:27 PM
While big splashes are being made in the first half hour of the FA frenzy, the Steelers made a flump kinda splash and re-signed David Johnson...Get excited! Things are hoppin in the Steelers Front Office....

Ernie
03-09-2017, 05:31 PM
fingers crossed that Logan Ryan signs with the black and gold.

birtikidis
03-09-2017, 05:37 PM
Brock osweiller to the browns lol

Real Deal Steel
03-09-2017, 05:44 PM
Kirkpatrick resigns with the Bengals.

SteelCrazy
03-09-2017, 05:44 PM

Here's an idea...trade for Brock, we get Brock and pay him vet minimum at $650,000 and Browns get to lighten their 16 million dollar load by $650,000. They still pay 15,350,000. We get a back up that we don't need.

Ernie
03-09-2017, 05:55 PM

Browns to cut Osweiller lol

feltdizz
03-09-2017, 05:57 PM
Here's an idea...trade for Brock, we get Brock and pay him vet minimum at $650,000 and Browns get to lighten their 16 million dollar load by $650,000. They still pay 15,350,000. We get a back up that we don't need.
Damn... I was just about to make a thread about how to get another bum azz back up QB to get us number 7

Real Deal Steel
03-09-2017, 06:05 PM
Bills just signed Micah Hyde. I was quietly watching him. He was the only play making CB the Packers had. Guy can play 3 positions.

phillyesq
03-09-2017, 06:27 PM
Browns to cut Osweiller lol

They eat some money and get a pick for their troubles. It actually works out ok for her.

SteelerMaine83
03-09-2017, 06:28 PM
Stop. I'm so excited by the prospect of a B. Osweiler to D. Johnson connection that I won't be able to sleep tonight.

pittpete
03-09-2017, 06:30 PM
The fascination with David Johnson and this team is mind boggling:sad:

SteelerMaine83
03-09-2017, 06:36 PM
The fascination with David Johnson and this team is mind boggling:sad:
Whaddya mean?! We're riding David Johnson to our 7th.

BradshawsHairdresser
03-09-2017, 06:44 PM
DJ signing trumped today by the Landry Jones re-signing.

SteelCrazy
03-09-2017, 07:22 PM
Damn... I was just about to make a thread about how to get another bum azz back up QB to get us number 7

Beat you to it....

Rara
03-09-2017, 07:41 PM
Totally disgusted..I understand the taking care of their own players..but Johnson and Jones? Jones sucks..meanwhile, teams are improving and the Steelers wait until the markdown bin becomes available.

Real Deal Steel
03-09-2017, 07:49 PM
Totally disgusted..I understand the taking care of their own players..but Johnson and Jones? Jones sucks..meanwhile, teams are improving and the Steelers wait until the markdown bin becomes available.

Yep...and then when injuries hit, they wonder why they don't have adequate replacements. At some point, you get what you pay for.

squidkid
03-09-2017, 07:51 PM

the players signed on day 1 are way over paid
the steelers only over pay for their own players
the steelers sign scrub fas
the steelers rarely have money because they over pay their own
this is frustrating but it is the way it always goes down

NorthCoast
03-09-2017, 08:08 PM
Browns OL instantly legitimate with the signing of Zeitler and Tretter. Arguably some of the best FAs out there.

If they haven't already, Steeler brass better start thinking DL and LB in the first 3 rounds.

Real Deal Steel
03-09-2017, 08:12 PM
Way things are looking now, I'd be happy going Linebacker/edge rusher with the first two picks exclusively. No deviation from those two positions.

Maybe use the second wave of free agency after the draft to sniff out a veteran CB. Cause it looks like that's how their going to use free agency.

Real Deal Steel
03-09-2017, 08:13 PM
Markus Wheaton signed with the Bears. LOL

Rara
03-09-2017, 09:29 PM

Oviedo
03-09-2017, 09:29 PM
DJ signing trumped today by the Landry Jones re-signing.

Jones has a role and adds value. A rookie UDFA could exceeds Johnson's contributions for much less $$$$

SteelCrazy
03-09-2017, 09:30 PM
Landry Jones did not receive starting offers on open market

http://pit.247sports.com/Bolt/Landry-Jones-did-not-receive-starting-offers-on-open-market-51692531

Landry Jones did his due diligence and pursued a starting opportunity with other NFL franchises this offseason.

But after not getting any opportunities to compete for a starting quarterback job on the open market, Jones decided to return to Pittsburgh, where he will assume his previous role as the team's backup quarterback for the next two seasons. Jones signed a two-year, $4.4 million contract that included a $600,000 signing bonus on Thursday.

"I wasn't going to be stupid. If there was a place to go play somewhere, I would want to take that chance and give myself that take that opportunity," Jones said, via Steelers.com. "It didn't turn out. So once that was over with, I was like, 'Shoot, I'm going go back to Pittsburgh.'

That quote from Landry in the last 2 sentences should have every Steelers fan over the moon with excitement. No one wanted the bum so we gave him 4.4 million........I love free agency.....Every year they do next to nothing, I get bummed out, and they go to the playoffs....sometimes the Super Bowl.

Oviedo
03-09-2017, 09:32 PM

Last I checked they signed the best WR in the league to the largest WR contract in team history and tendered the best RB in the league to a big $$$$ contract. I guess it convenient to ignore that and cry about what other teams are doing. The $$$$ they used for Brown and Bell counts against the cap too so a big portion of our available off season money was used to keep two of the best players in the league. Those two are better than any FA signed today. Should we have not retained them so we could make a splash today??????

Rara
03-09-2017, 09:33 PM
Yep...and then when injuries hit, they wonder why they don't have adequate replacements. At some point, you get what you pay for.

Jones is an adequate replacement? Haha...

Rara
03-09-2017, 09:34 PM
Last I checked they signed the best WR in the league to the largest WR contract in team history and tendered the best RB in the league to a big $$$$ contract. I guess it convenient to ignore that and cry about what other teams are doing. The $$$$ they used for Brown and Bell counts against the cap too so a big portion of our available off season money was used to keep two of the best players in the league. Those two are better than any FA signed today. Should we have not retained them so we could make a splash today??????

I don't see Bell retained...not until a see a new deal done. He's on a one year right now..a ****ing costly one year, at that.

feltdizz
03-09-2017, 09:34 PM
every year FA roles around and Steeler fans get jealous because other teams that never sniff the playoffs spend big money to dupe their fans into thinking that are making big moves.

pittpete
03-09-2017, 09:37 PM
Can't remember the last time the Steelers had this much cap space...Fans get edgy because there are so many holes on this team defensively it's scary.
I'm still hoping we can get 1 decent CB like Ryan Logan.

SteelCrazy
03-09-2017, 09:41 PM
every year FA roles around and Steeler fans get jealous because other teams that never sniff the playoffs spend big money to dupe their fans into thinking that are making big moves.

Exactly...I will admit when there's a particular player I'd like to sign and they don't I get bummed, but they run the team and I'll stick to criticising them for doing a damn good job.....except on Defense the last few years...that's all

Real Deal Steel
03-09-2017, 10:07 PM
Steelers have made contact with cornerback Brandon flowers.

BradshawsHairdresser
03-09-2017, 10:14 PM
Steelers have made contact with cornerback Brandon flowers.
If they sign Flowers, it will be a signal that they are going to stick with the same kind of defensive philosophy that got them beat by the *'s. Flowers is definitely more of a zone coverage player, not a man/bump and run sort of player. Might be a good move if they're looking no farther than trying to win the division again.

RuthlessBurgher
03-09-2017, 10:27 PM
The Steelers front office studies all of these potential free agent targets, watching film of all their games last season, to determine who could be a valuable addition to our team at a price that won't cripple our cap going forward, knowing that we'll soon need enough room for long term deals for Bell, Tuitt, Shazier, Villenueva, etc.

But fans obviously know better, have strong opinions about these players, even though many posters don't even know their damn names (Tony Davis instead of Tony Jefferson, Dre Kilpatrick instead of Dre Kirkpatrick, Ryan Logan instead of Logan Ryan, etc.).

pittpete
03-09-2017, 10:44 PM
And some fans just accept everything the Steelers do because they are the Steelers.
Yes, the Justin Gilbert and Boynkin additions were absolutely valuable additions to the team the last few years.LOL
Oh wait, i spelled that wrong so i must not know what i'm talking about:HeadBanger

pittpete
03-09-2017, 10:52 PM
Lets hope the Steelers front office studied and watched all the game film on Brandon Flowers and his concussions.
Perhaps he can keep Ladarius Green company on the sideline:stirpot

Real Deal Steel
03-09-2017, 11:02 PM
I wonder are we going to take a look at Gerald Hodges. He was the ILB for the 49ers last year. Since we are going 2nd & 3rd tier in our free agent search.

Mr.wizard
03-09-2017, 11:02 PM
It doesn't matter who we sign, all we have to do is play is man coverage, nobody can defeat man coverage.

BradshawsHairdresser
03-09-2017, 11:15 PM
It doesn't matter who we sign, all we have to do is play is man coverage, nobody can defeat man coverage.

Who said they have to always play man? They might defend some teams better playing zone. But don't you think it might be important to be able to play man when it's NEEDED (vs. teams like the *'s, for instance)?

SS Laser
03-10-2017, 12:29 AM
The Steelers front office studies all of these potential free agent targets, watching film of all their games last season, to determine who could be a valuable addition to our team at a price that won't cripple our cap going forward, knowing that we'll soon need enough room for long term deals for Bell, Tuitt, Shazier, Villenueva, etc.

But fans obviously know better, have strong opinions about these players, even though many posters don't even know their damn names (Tony Davis instead of Tony Jefferson, Dre Kilpatrick instead of Dre Kirkpatrick, Ryan Logan instead of Logan Ryan, etc.).
THANK YOU SIR. So many fans not even on here bang this drum that the pats and other teams are doing so much to improve while the steelers sit on there hands. Which is not true. I have no problem with Johnson signing. He is a hard worker who does his job to help Bell do what he does. Landry I would like a upgrade with all of the back up possible QB's on the market. Hope they do gamble on Dobbs, Kelly etc in the draft LATE! Or bring in a scrap heap QB later on! As my one friend texted me all the steelers do in FA is bring in chumps and Turds! LOL! But he will be the first to bring up the pats who have a few "chumps and turds"! Could you see a this board with the shipping out of players like they did this season. It will someday bite old belicheat.

SS Laser
03-10-2017, 12:33 AM
Oh my such GOLD right there. The defense no matter what will not beat the Pats. Maybe contain them. But it will take a massive game by the offense. Not the egg they laid in the AFCC!

Real Deal Steel
03-10-2017, 02:10 AM
Oh my such GOLD right there. The defense no matter what will not beat the Pats. Maybe contain them. But it will take a massive game by the offense. Not the egg they laid in the AFCC!

Disagree;We saw the Falcons way lay the Patriots offense; so it can be done. Falcons offense left the defense on the field too long in the second half of the game. Our problem is two fold; we lack enough secondary and pass rush talent; we need to dump the zone base scheme against Brady.

Northern_Blitz
03-10-2017, 07:12 AM
And some fans just accept everything the Steelers do because they are the Steelers.
Yes, the Justin Gilbert and Boynkin additions were absolutely valuable additions to the team the last few years.LOL
Oh wait, i spelled that wrong so i must not know what i'm talking about:HeadBanger

Lets wait until their done with FA before we grade how well the do OK?

Ernie
03-10-2017, 07:43 AM

I don't think you can mention Gilbert and Boykin in the same sentence. Boykin was solid for us when he saw the field. I think he was limited due to the draft pick stipulation. Gilbert didn't see the field at all other than special teams.

SteelCrazy
03-10-2017, 07:47 AM

I'm the one that said Tony Davis. Someone mentioned the guy and I said something about giving up my salary for him, but it was more about getting rid of Mitchell and less about Tony Davidson Jr.

phillyesq
03-10-2017, 10:09 AM
The reported interest in Marcus Cooper - a big corner from AZ - is interesting. He played opposite Patrick Peterson, so he was obviously picked on a lot. From what I've read, he's good outside but not in the slot. At 6-2, he's a big corner. He had 4 picks last year and was a first team pro bowl alternate. He's 27 years old and can probably be had on a reasonable deal.

This sounds like a Steelers FA to me. A younger player with some upside - a similar profile to Mike Mitchell and Ladarius Green.

Sword
03-10-2017, 10:12 AM
the players signed on day 1 are way over paid
the steelers only over pay for their own players
the steelers sign scrub fas
the steelers rarely have money because they over pay their own
this is frustrating but it is the way it always goes down

And until you break that cycle we will never beat the Pats .....

feltdizz
03-10-2017, 10:19 AM
And until you break that cycle we will never beat the Pats .....

even if we broke this cycle the chances of beating the Pats is slim.

Some teams have your number so its foolish to change your whole identity for one team. Especially when we have no idea if we will face them in the playoffs.

BradshawsHairdresser
03-10-2017, 10:39 AM
even if we broke this cycle the chances of beating the Pats is slim.

Some teams have your number so its foolish to change your whole identity for one team. Especially when we have no idea if we will face them in the playoffs.
Don't know that you have to "change your whole identity" for the *s ... but you dang sure better come up with a better plan to try to beat them, because chances are that, more than any other AFC team, the road to the Super Bowl is going to go through them.

BradshawsHairdresser
03-10-2017, 10:53 AM
The reported interest in Marcus Cooper - a big corner from AZ - is interesting. He played opposite Patrick Peterson, so he was obviously picked on a lot. From what I've read, he's good outside but not in the slot. At 6-2, he's a big corner. He had 4 picks last year and was a first team pro bowl alternate. He's 27 years old and can probably be had on a reasonable deal.

This sounds like a Steelers FA to me. A younger player with some upside - a similar profile to Mike Mitchell and Ladarius Green.

I'd rather see them sign Cooper than Flowers.

feltdizz
03-10-2017, 11:04 AM
Don't know that you have to "change your whole identity" for the *s ... but you dang sure better come up with a better plan to try to beat them, because chances are that, more than any other AFC team, the road to the Super Bowl is going to go through them.

I would like to think we will but I doubt we will see it in FA or even in preseason. I don't know what people expect us to do this off season to convince fans we are trying to win a SB.

From everything I have seen these last few years it looks like we are doing all we can to improve our team to win a SB.

phillyesq
03-10-2017, 11:22 AM

Agreed. He has a history of concussions and seems to miss a few games every year.

Real Deal Steel
03-10-2017, 11:33 AM
I too think I'd like Cooper. I've seen Flowers out here in Cali and Flowers is a bum.

RuthlessBurgher
03-10-2017, 11:34 AM

+2. A big, young outside corner with upside entering his prime vs. a small, oft-injured corner entering the back nine of his career, only a year younger than William Gay.

Real Deal Steel
03-10-2017, 11:52 AM
Ravens are about to release Ladarius Webb. LOL

Love it! There so mess up over in Baltimore.

BradshawsHairdresser
03-10-2017, 11:55 AM
Ravens are about to release Ladarius Webb. LOL

Love it! There so mess up over in Baltimore.
They just re-signed Brandon Williams, and grabbed Tony Jefferson from Arizona, so I don't know if I'd call their FA season a total mess.

steeler_george
03-10-2017, 12:56 PM

I am wondering, there was a rumour out there, that our front office was seriously targeting a veteren cb, but was that smoke for Kirpatrick, or Logan Ryan.

Or was it true for Cooper... the more I hear his name, the more I think, how great he would fit in here. Add in a draft picks in this deep draft, and our CB are well covered for the future and depth. ( cooper, burns, gholsten, cockrell/ rookie)

Real Deal Steel
03-10-2017, 01:22 PM
ESPN's Jeremy Fowler reports the Steelers have been "in contact" with free agent CB Marcus Cooper.
Cooper is also being pursued by the Jets. The Steelers have been scouring the market for cornerback help, reaching out to Logan Ryan (now with Tennessee), Brandon Flowers and now Cooper. The 27-year-old was exposed playing opposite Patrick Peterson last season, earning PFF's No. 107 cornerback grade out of 120 qualifiers.

Source: Jeremy Fowler on Twitter

Real Deal Steel
03-10-2017, 01:23 PM
So Cooper didnt' grade out well huh? hmmmm....

squidkid
03-10-2017, 01:24 PM
ESPN's Jeremy Fowler reports the Steelers have been "in contact" with free agent CB Marcus Cooper.
Cooper is also being pursued by the Jets. The Steelers have been scouring the market for cornerback help, reaching out to Logan Ryan (now with Tennessee), Brandon Flowers and now Cooper. The 27-year-old was exposed playing opposite Patrick Peterson last season, earning PFF's No. 107 cornerback grade out of 120 qualifiers.

Source: Jeremy Fowler on Twitter

107 out of 120, nice.....
we are screwed if another team is interested.

steeler_george
03-10-2017, 01:48 PM

Can switch to center? joking....

Has anyone ever payed attention to him watching the cards play?

I read he was alternate to pro bowl.

Can his ranking be due to teams throwing only on his side of field? Cardinal's high scoring shoot out games? Weak safety help?

RuthlessBurgher
03-10-2017, 01:59 PM
Cooper's 4 INT last were more than any Steeler last year (Burns and Shazier each had 3).
He returned on of them for a 60 yard pick six.
Cooper's 11 passes defensed last year were behind Cockrell (14) and Burns (13).
Cooper's 63 solo tackles were more than any Steeler DB last year.

squidkid
03-10-2017, 02:04 PM
Cooper's 4 INT last were more than any Steeler last year (Burns and Shazier each had 3).
He returned on of them for a 60 yard pick six.
Cooper's 11 passes defensed last year were behind Cockrell (14) and Burns (13).
Cooper's 63 solo tackles were more than any Steeler DB last year.

rankings mean nothing. just address your needs with players that fit and have upside

phillyesq
03-10-2017, 02:22 PM

I haven't seen him play, so I'm not sure what to say. He was also a pro-bowl alternate. So he's either a top 20 or bottom 20 corner, or more likely, somewhere in between.

Real Deal Steel
03-10-2017, 03:20 PM
I'll take him; He's better then William Gay.

steelerkeylargo
03-10-2017, 03:29 PM
Patrick Robinson was cut by the Colts today. I know we took a look at him before he signed with the Colts last year. He was mostly injured last year but had a nice 2015 with the Chargers. I'd bring him in for a physical and maybe a 1 year deal.

pittpete
03-10-2017, 03:35 PM

Some people just don't get it.
You don't have to change your whole scheme for one team, but you have to be able to game plan for each team you face on a weekly basis.
Bill Bellicheck understands this and thats why he's so successful.
Even at the youth level i have to tweak my defense vs. the better teams
Square peg, round hole syndrome i tell you:rolleyes:

pittpete
03-10-2017, 03:40 PM
Lets wait until their done with FA before we grade how well the do OK?

No one is grading anything yet, ok?
I've been a fan for a long time and i understand what we do during the free agency period as well as anyone does.
We have cap space and a glaring need at CB. No need to browse the garbage pile this year for a CB.

steeler_george
03-10-2017, 03:56 PM
I'll take him; He's better then William Gay.

I am not sure, how much do we save cutting Gay, 5 million? I think it sounds way too much? I am thinking that I am confusing his cut with the amount cutting Green.

Does anyone know with all th e projected cuts? Gay, Green? How much are we expected to save?

pittpete
03-10-2017, 04:02 PM
Bye LT, thanks for your services

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2017/3/10/14664476/2017-nfl-free-agency-lawrence-timmons-dolphins

steeler_george
03-10-2017, 04:07 PM
Timmons gone!:(

pittpete
03-10-2017, 04:08 PM
yup.........

Real Deal Steel
03-10-2017, 04:09 PM
Guess what we have to do with our first round pick??

pittpete
03-10-2017, 04:10 PM
OLB,ILB and CB
Can we get all 3 with 1 pick?

Real Deal Steel
03-10-2017, 04:11 PM
Hahahahahahahahahahaha

pittpete
03-10-2017, 04:14 PM
Hopefully we can get our edge rusher through free agency still
Jabaal Sheard

RuthlessBurgher
03-10-2017, 04:23 PM
OLB,ILB and CB
Can we get all 3 with 1 pick?

You realize that we have 3 day two picks this year as well, right?

We got Sean Davis and Javon Hargrave on day two last year, and this year's draft appears to be deeper, especially at positions that we intend to be targeting.

pittpete
03-10-2017, 04:27 PM
I understand Ruthless, it was a joke.
You really think we'll plug these holes with draft picks?

Real Deal Steel
03-10-2017, 04:29 PM
You realize that we have 3 day two picks this year as well, right?

We got Sean Davis and Javon Hargrave on day two last year, and this year's draft appears to be deeper, especially at positions that we intend to be targeting.

Of course we realize it. You do realize that 31 other teams want edge rushers too right? When we pick (at the end of each round) we have to address our red alert areas. Edge rushers are the name of the game (hot position) right now that everyone is after. More then ever.

Look at our linebacker corps; and your talking about waiting until the 3rd round??? Whatever you've been smoking, can I have some after I get off work? LOL

papillon
03-10-2017, 04:34 PM
I understand Ruthless, it was a joke.
You really think we'll plug these holes with draft picks?

They can plug the holes via the draft but not if they want to compete for the trophy. So, it all depends on the goal, I suppose.

Pappy

steeler_george
03-10-2017, 04:34 PM
I think we go CB in FA, along with resigning Cockrell, cut Gay.

We have OLB depth" in A. Chickillo and Moats, so now biggest concern is ILB , only have Shazier and VW and no depth.

I think we go after Reddick or Peppers in round 1, and sign a back up depth ILB. Then we go for Rivers, Watt or other OLB to groom in Harrisons spot in round 2. Or in reverse.

Real Deal Steel
03-10-2017, 04:36 PM
We could possibly move Shazier to the OLB spot; giving us some flexability in taking the best linebacker on the board at # 30. Please stop with this "Peppers". Stuff.

We are not using a first round pick on a "maybe- jack of all trades, master of none" player when we are at red alert status in our line backing corps. We are going to take a linebacker that we can plug him in right away from the start of OTA's. Gzzz.

Your saying stuff that makes no sense all because of this "man crush" you have on certain guys.

pittpete
03-10-2017, 04:37 PM
Our LBers now are
39 year old James Harrison
Shazier
Dupree
Often injured Chickillo
Nice guy Arthur Moats
Vince Williams

This is down right frightening
There is a 27 year old beast of an OLB/edge rusher, sitting there in free agency.
Why take the chance on Jarvis Jones II at pick #30?

Lets not even mention the CB/safety depth

Real Deal Steel
03-10-2017, 04:40 PM
Our LBers now are
Shazier
Dupree
Often injured Chickillo
Nice guy Arthur Moats
Vince Williams

There is a 27 year old beast of an OLB/edge rusher, sitting there in free agency.

We are at red alert status in our linebacking corps and posters ARE STILL talking about taking Peppers. :rolleyes: Incredible.

Real Deal Steel
03-10-2017, 04:41 PM
Steelers are out scrapping the bottom of barrels for cornerback help.

steeler_george
03-10-2017, 04:47 PM
We could possibly move Shazier to the OLB spot; giving us some flexability in taking the best linebacker on the board at # 30. Please stop with this "Peppers". Stuff.

We are not using a first round pick on a "maybe- jack of all trades, master of none" player when we are at red alert status in our line backing corps. We are going to take a linebacker that we can plug him in right away from the start of OTA's. Gzzz.

Your saying stuff that makes no sense all because of this "man crush" you have on certain guys.

This is the first time I mentioned Peppers. All I know that he can play the hybrid lb/safety roll to add another demontion to the D with VW and Shazier starting. I would prefer Reddick, reminds me of a younger Timmons who was drafted as a OLB, moved inside.

RuthlessBurgher
03-10-2017, 04:47 PM
Of course we realize it. You do realize that 31 other teams want edge rushers too right? When we pick (at the end of each round) we have to address our red alert areas. Edge rushers are the name of the game (hot position) right now that everyone is after. More then ever.

Look at our linebacker corps; and your talking about waiting until the 3rd round??? Whatever you've been smoking, can I have some after I get off work? LOL

It is a deep draft for edge rushers this year:
Myles Garrett
Solomon Thomas
Derek Barnett
Taco Charlton
Takkarist McKinley
Charles Harris
Haason Reddick
Tim Willams
T.J. Watt
Carl Lawson
Jordan Willis
Tyus Bowser
Derek Rivers
Tarell Basham
Demarcus Walker
Dawuane Smoot
Ryan Anderson
Carroll Phillips
Daeshon Hall
Josh Carraway

pittpete
03-10-2017, 04:50 PM
I'd rather at least 1 proven edge rushing LB or solid CB under 30 rather than hope for both through the draft.

Oviedo
03-10-2017, 04:51 PM
They can plug the holes via the draft but not if they want to compete for the trophy. So, it all depends on the goal, I suppose.

Pappy

I assume your comment means they should go after a FA LB? If so, who because I see no one who makes up for the loss of Timmons.

RuthlessBurgher
03-10-2017, 04:58 PM
I'd rather at least 1 proven edge rushing LB or solid CB under 30 rather than hope for both through the draft.

I still think we will pick up a DB or LB in free agency for around what we gave Ladarius Green and Mike Mitchell ($5 or $6 million per year) as opposed to overpaying on day one of free agency ($10-$15 million per year). And then maybe a backup or two for depth in the $1-$2 million range. We reserve those eight-figure yearly salaries for guys that we have seen excel in our system rather paying huge dollars on guys who may or may not work out in a system that's new to them.

Oviedo
03-10-2017, 04:59 PM
Our LBers now are
Shazier
Dupree
Often injured Chickillo
Nice guy Arthur Moats
Vince Williams

Maybe it is time to serious consider the 4-3. We don't have good LBs and can't seem to develop them anymore.

Oviedo
03-10-2017, 05:00 PM
I still think we will pick up a DB or LB in free agency for around what we gave Ladarius Green and Mike Mitchell ($5 or $6 million per year) as opposed to overpaying on day one of free agency ($10-$15 million per year). And then maybe a backup or two for depth in the $1-$2 million range. We reserve those eight-figure yearly salaries for guys that we have seen excel in our system rather paying huge dollars on guys who may or may not work out in a system that's new to them.

Who is left at ILB?

steeler_george
03-10-2017, 05:00 PM
Any word on Hightower?

pittpete
03-10-2017, 05:01 PM
Arthur Moats is our highest paid LBer and Gay is our highest paid CB right now.
Cut Moats and save $2,250,000
Designate Gay as a June 1st cut and save $2,000,000
We have over 12 million plus taking into account dead $$ and rookie signings..
Close to 15 million in cap space should allow us to get a solid player with plenty to spare...

pittpete
03-10-2017, 05:02 PM
Any word on Hightower?

Last i heard he was close to a deal with the Titans

steeler_george
03-10-2017, 05:04 PM
Thanks pittpete about the cap savings... and Hightower.

RuthlessBurgher
03-10-2017, 05:08 PM
Who is left at ILB?

In free agency?

Donta Hightower is the big ticket item, but he's probably looking to get somewhat close to what those early CB's we were looking at ultimately got.

After that, you've got Zach Brown, Gerald Hodges, Kevin Minter, Manti Te'o.

You could also consider bringing back Sean Spence on the cheap for depth. Shazier backed up by Spence and Vince backed up by Matakevich, with a rookie pick also likely in the mix.

BradshawsHairdresser
03-10-2017, 05:08 PM
Arthur Moats is our highest paid LBer and Gay is our highest paid CB right now.
Cut Moats and save $2,250,000
Designate Gay as a June 1st cut and save $2,000,000
We have over 12 million plus taking into account dead $$ and rookie signings..
Close to 15 million in cap space should allow us to get a solid player with plenty to spare...
Except it's looking like the Steelers are going to need a lot more than just "a" solid player now.

squidkid
03-10-2017, 05:12 PM
In free agency?

Donta Hightower is the big ticket item, but he's probably looking to get somewhat close to what those early CB's we were looking at ultimately got.

After that, you've got Zach Brown, Gerald Hodges, Kevin Minter, Manti Te'o.

You could also consider bringing back Sean Spence on the cheap for depth. Shazier backed up by Spence and Vince backed up by Matakevich, with a rookie pick also likely in the mix.

the guy can sing too

BradshawsHairdresser
03-10-2017, 05:17 PM
Vince backed up by Matakevich

I like both of those guys, but can you say "S-L-O-W"?

papillon
03-10-2017, 05:19 PM
I assume your comment means they should go after a FA LB? If so, who because I see no one who makes up for the loss of Timmons.

I was responding to PittPetes comment below
"You really think we'll plug these holes with draft picks?"

I was being facetious by saying, "yes, the Steelers can plug the holes via the draft," but by doing that the Steelers are basically saying they aren't competing for the trophy. So, I guess in a round-a-bout way I am saying FA to replace Timmons, if there isn't an ILB available that can replace Timmons, then Shazier and Williams plus some depth. I'd also like to add that the Patriots routinely let successful veterans seek riches elsewhere, hopefully the Steelers will be able to do the same.

Pappy

Real Deal Steel
03-10-2017, 06:04 PM
As of this morning, Hightower was in negotiations to resign with the Patriots.

BradshawsHairdresser
03-10-2017, 06:11 PM
As of this morning, Hightower was in negotiations to resign with the Patriots.
They're flush with cash ... with a lot of teams it's either/or, but this year the *s can keep any of their own they want to keep AND sign any FAs they want to sign.

BradshawsHairdresser
03-10-2017, 07:35 PM
Is Kevin Minter (ILB, Arizona) still on the FA market? Seems like a player who could step in and help right away. What about Morris Claiborne (CB, Dallas)? Not real keen on Claiborne, who has only had one good season (last year), but we're now into that tier of FA CBs.

pittpete
03-10-2017, 08:21 PM
Claiborne has stepped it up but has missed a lot of games in his career...
I still think an edge rusher like Connor Barwin could be had for decent $$$$ and is supposedly a great locker room guy

BradshawsHairdresser
03-10-2017, 08:44 PM
Claiborne has stepped it up but has missed a lot of games in his career...
I still think an edge rusher like Connor Barwin could be had for decent $$$$ and is supposedly a great locker room guy
Wonder what Barwin's asking price is?

SteelCrazy
03-10-2017, 08:59 PM
Hopefully we can get our edge rusher through free agency still
Jabaal Sheard

He signed with the Colts

steeler_george
03-10-2017, 09:00 PM
quick thoughts:

Typical steeler approach to FA, let the dust settle then make the moves for needs heading into the draft.

With the loss of Timmons, does the FO give the starting reigns to VW, or are they still going to look in FA/draft?

With all these rumours of to us connectig to vetern CBs, are they just that, rumours due to us having only 1 starter in Burns, a pending FA in Cockrell, injure proned Golsten (sp), and future cap casualty in Gay?

The strength in this draft is OLB, TE, and DBs, so I am thinking that they will pick up a FA in ILB and maybe a CB since we have no #2 or depth.

2 ILB sound like great fits: either Z.Brown (Bills) and G. Hedges (SF)
And maybe the rumour of us looking hard at a 0vetern CB being Coopeer (AZ)

Thoughts? Is it finacially possible?

RuthlessBurgher
03-10-2017, 09:02 PM
He signed with the Colts

Big money...The new 3 year deal pays Sheard $10 million in the first year of his new contract and is worth a total of $25.5 million.

RuthlessBurgher
03-10-2017, 09:05 PM
quick thoughts:

Typical steeler approach to FA, let the dust settle then make the moves for needs heading into the draft.

With the loss of Timmons, does the FO give the starting reigns to VW, or are they still going to look in FA/draft?

With all these rumours of to us connectig to vetern CBs, are they just that, rumours due to us having only 1 starter in Burns, a pending FA in Cockrell, injure proned Golsten (sp), and future cap casualty in Gay?

The strength in this draft is OLB, TE, and DBs, so I am thinking that they will pick up a FA in ILB and maybe a CB since we have no #2 or depth.

2 ILB sound like great fits: either Z.Brown (Bills) and G. Hedges (SF)
And maybe the rumour of us looking hard at a 0vetern CB being Coopeer (AZ)

Thoughts? Is it finacially possible?

Seems like CB Cooper and also either ILB Brown or ILB Hedges would be fiscally possible. And, if so, you could likely address those 2 positions for about the same amount that CB Logan Ryan got himself, I would imagine.

Chadman
03-10-2017, 09:11 PM
Connor Barwon as a rotational OLB on both sides- left and right- would be a smart signing. Even Dumervil or another aging OLB- doesn't matter. The Steelers need some 'ready to step in' pass rushers. It won't stop them drafting an OLB, but it will take away the need to draft one in round 1 regardless of who is available..

getting a vet CB also makes sense- it's a young DB group, some experience won't hurt. The guy from Arizona would be fine, but there are a few options there.

People are acting like the team is falling behind because they haven't signed anyone yet. Just remember- lost to the Pats with LeVeon off the field and not Martavous Bryant. Come Round 1, the Steelers are in a better position already.