PDA

View Full Version : Bell gets tagged

FreePassCra$h
02-27-2017, 05:30 PM
NFLN just reported and also say the Steelers want to work out a long term deal.

RuthlessBurgher
02-27-2017, 05:41 PM
Looks like it's the exclusive version as well:

Le’Veon Bell gets franchise tag from Steelers
Posted by Josh Alper on February 27, 2017, 4:08 PM EST

The Steelers weren’t expected to let running back Le’Veon Bell hit the open market when the new league year gets underway next month so it comes as no surprise that he’s the latest player to receive a franchise tag.

The Steelers have placed a franchise tag on Bell and, per multiple reports, it is the exclusive variety. That gives them until July 15 to work out a long-term contract before Bell would be left with the choice of playing out the year on the franchise tender, working out a different one-year deal or sitting out.

The franchise tender for Bell should come in at somewhere over $12.3 million. Because the Steelers went the exclusive route, Bell cannot be signed by another team even if they were willing to pony up the required two first-round picks as compensation.

Bell’s always been productive when he’s been on the field for the Steelers since they made him the 48th pick of the 2013 draft. Injuries and suspensions have kept him off the field at times over that span and those absences could create some concern on the team’s end about an extended deal.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/02/27/leveon-bell-gets-franchise-tag/

FreePassCra$h
02-27-2017, 05:49 PM
I wouldn't work out a LT deal with Bell. I would tag him twice and then send him on his way. I think he's going to fade fast unless they lighten his workload.

Real Deal Steel
02-27-2017, 05:56 PM
If Mixon slides late in the draft, I'd take the flyer. Gotta get some depth behind Bell.

Rara
02-27-2017, 05:57 PM
I would use this tag as a prove it situation..he has to prove he can be healthier (injury wise) for more than what he currently has since he's been drafted.

phillyesq
02-27-2017, 05:58 PM
I wouldn't work out a LT deal with Bell. I would tag him twice and then send him on his way. I think he's going to fade fast unless they lighten his workload.

The tag to next year jumps to $15 for him. That's an awful lot. I'd rather work out a long term deal and see the Steelers lighten his workload. I don't have any reason to believe that Tomlin / Haley will do so, but I'd really like to see his carries decreased from the unsustainable workload he had at the end of the year.

squidkid
02-27-2017, 06:09 PM
i hope it is the non-exclusive tag.

sorry, didnt read the whole thing

SteelCrazy
02-27-2017, 06:09 PM
They had a proven RB behind Bell, but wouldn't use him. No reason to believe they would with a drafted RB. IM with Crash, tag him twice and let him go. Michigan St ran his ass off too...He could still be worth signing after his 2nd tag, if he's not pissed.

FreePassCra$h
02-27-2017, 06:10 PM
It's exclusive.

squidkid
02-27-2017, 06:12 PM
It's exclusive.

..... oh joy

Oviedo
02-27-2017, 07:04 PM

Educate me, but if you tag someone two years in a row isn't the second year like 25% increase over the first year?

Real Deal Steel
02-27-2017, 07:08 PM
There are some decent runningback option later in the draft like Samaje Perine from Oklahoma or Wayne Gallman from Clemson. We need to get someone back there because Williams is 150 years old. LOL

Flasteel
02-27-2017, 09:03 PM
Tag him this year and use it as a prove-it season. If he responds appropriately, then I think you have to lock him up long-term with a front-loaded contract. I don't want to see his reps shared too much because the dude is just that good. No matter who you put in there, your offense becomes more limited or you lose production. I would continue to run Bell until the proverbial wheels fall off. If a running back who can battle Williams for a roster spot falls to them in rounds 3 or later, then I would fully support drafting him to make sure Bell's insurance policy is in place.

Eddie Spaghetti
02-27-2017, 09:14 PM
might have been worth dangling him with the non exclusive

2 1st rounders would be a hell of a return on investment especially given his issues

BradshawsHairdresser
02-27-2017, 09:16 PM
That's my concern, too. So far, they haven't shown any propensity to "lighten his workload" ... they had DeAngelo Williams and still didn't reduce Bell's carries; I don't see them doing so even if they draft a stud RB.

SteelCrazy
02-27-2017, 09:45 PM
That's my concern, too. So far, they haven't shown any propensity to "lighten his workload" ... they had DeAngelo Williams and still didn't reduce Bell's carries; I don't see them doing so even if they draft a stud RB.

If we get your 1st 2 picks from ur mock ill be over the moon....

Shoe
02-27-2017, 11:48 PM

That actually is a sensible argument for taking a RB in this draft--it creates leverage on Bell's deal. And if he plays hard ball and we don't want to pay it, we can feel better about letting him walk.

Shawn
02-28-2017, 07:08 AM
might have been worth dangling him with the non exclusive

2 1st rounders would be a hell of a return on investment especially given his issues I agree. I must admit I am surprised that they didn't roll non-exclusive. Two first rounders could vault you to the top of next years draft to grab a Ben replacement. But, I think they realized no one is offering two firsts and wanted to send him the message "hey you are our guy". Because if they are willing to look at trades, why would he take any sort of discount.

papillon
02-28-2017, 01:06 PM
The tag to next year jumps to $15 for him. That's an awful lot. I'd rather work out a long term deal and see the Steelers lighten his workload. I don't have any reason to believe that Tomlin / Haley will do so, but I'd really like to see his carries decreased from the unsustainable workload he had at the end of the year.

Philly, I think his overall touches need to be decreased carries and receptions, he takes a lot of hits, not to mention he's a good blocker and taking on OLBs is a train wreck.

Pappy

phillyesq
02-28-2017, 01:32 PM
Educate me, but if you tag someone two years in a row isn't the second year like 25% increase over the first year?

It's an increase of 20%, which would be $14.8 million next year.

SteelerOfDeVille
03-03-2017, 04:29 PM
If Mixon slides late in the draft, I'd take the flyer. Gotta get some depth behind Bell.don't have to slide too far for me. i'd consider him in the second.

probably cause a stink, but, having seen the video, i'm just not up in arms about a person punching another in retaliation - even against a woman. while i wouldn't do it myself, you just don't punch someone without the expectation that there might be retaliation... honestly, my thought was why wasn't SHE brought up on assault charges?

Real Deal Steel
03-03-2017, 05:08 PM
In a day and age where women want to be equal to men in everything, the accountability that women are held to for their actions isn't up to where men's accountability is. I've seen and heard of woman going after men with bats and guns and when they get beat down for it, they want to play the "traditional women" victim card.

If you jump into the arena of men's physicality and want to fight, and get your butt beat, then that's what you get. You can't flip flop back and forth; Either your a woman of the new millennium or your the "traditional" woman. But you can't use whichever one is advantageous to you at a given time. Come after me with a gun, bat or anything within that realm then I feel you can get your butt beat just like a man.

Real Deal Steel
03-13-2017, 11:57 AM
Bell is out six week because of core muscle tear

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Le'Veon Bell underwent surgery to repair a core muscle injury on Monday.
The timetable for recovery is around six weeks, which should still allow Bell to participate in OTAs. Of course, the Steelers could also choose to take it easy on their star running back. Scheduled to play under the franchise tag, Bell and the Steelers should work out a long-term agreement before the July 15 deadline.

Oviedo
03-13-2017, 12:18 PM
Bell is out six week because of core muscle tear

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Le'Veon Bell underwent surgery to repair a core muscle injury on Monday.
The timetable for recovery is around six weeks, which should still allow Bell to participate in OTAs. Of course, the Steelers could also choose to take it easy on their star running back. Scheduled to play under the franchise tag, Bell and the Steelers should work out a long-term agreement before the July 15 deadline.

No surprise is It?

Real Deal Steel
03-13-2017, 12:49 PM
Hahahahahahahahahhahahahahahaha

RuthlessBurgher
03-13-2017, 01:59 PM

Why is that funny? We all knew he was injured. Offseason surgery was always a possibility, so Ovie stated that he was not surprised by this news. What about any of this makes you burst out in a "Feel Good Inc." level laughing fit?

buccoray61
03-13-2017, 02:03 PM
Why is that funny? We all knew he was injured. Offseason surgery was always a possibility, so Ovie stated that he was not surprised by this news. What about any of this makes you burst out in a "Feel Good Inc." level laughing fit?I was thinking the same thing Ruth

feltdizz
03-13-2017, 02:09 PM
Are you ok?

phillyesq
03-13-2017, 02:24 PM
Why is that funny? We all knew he was injured. Offseason surgery was always a possibility, so Ovie stated that he was not surprised by this news. What about any of this makes you burst out in a "Feel Good Inc." level laughing fit?

Well said. That reaction makes no sense.

Real Deal Steel
03-13-2017, 02:30 PM

I thought you meant it in a matter of factly way. It wasn't common knowledge that he had to have surgery.

RuthlessBurgher
03-13-2017, 03:16 PM
I thought you meant it in a matter of factly way. It wasn't common knowledge that he had to have surgery.

feltdizz
03-13-2017, 03:57 PM
HAHaha... ahhh

Real Deal Steel
03-13-2017, 04:27 PM
HAHaha... ahhh

hahahahahhahahahhahahha..whatever gets you through the night dude.

SteelCrazy
03-13-2017, 07:55 PM
What's with all the giggles? Carry over from another thread?

feltdizz
03-13-2017, 08:02 PM
What's with all the giggles? Carry over from another thread?

I have no idea but apparently it works.