PDA

View Full Version : coates stats...........can this be true?

squidkid
01-23-2017, 02:19 AM
i read on another site that coates had 23 receptions and 10 drops for the year. 30% drop rate.
with these stats and hasnt played in a couple months and he is part of our game plan?
this is who ben is throwing to in critical situations?
this is the guy who gets a helmet?.....................yikes

Jooser
01-23-2017, 03:47 AM
Ben was pi$$ing in the wind most of the night.....

BradshawsHairdresser
01-24-2017, 10:06 AM
i read on another site that coates had 23 receptions and 10 drops for the year. 30% drop rate.
with these stats and hasnt played in a couple months and he is part of our game plan?
this is who ben is throwing to in critical situations?
this is the guy who gets a helmet?.....................yikes

I thought his drop rate for this season would be more than 30% ... I figured closer to 50%.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
01-24-2017, 10:21 AM
I read that he was burning it up in practice. Of course we all know nothing, just read and repeat likely rumours, and make judgements with very little hard data behind them.

RuthlessBurgher
01-31-2017, 03:02 PM
Sammie Coates recovering from surgery
Posted by Josh Alper on January 31, 2017, 11:12 AM EST

Steelers wide receiver Sammie Coates got off to a fast start in 2016 with 19 catches for 421 yards and two touchdowns in the first five games of the year, but finger injuries made the rest of the year far less productive.

Coates only had two catches for 14 yards over the rest of the regular season and two catches for 34 yards in the postseason as the injuries limited how much of an impact he could have on offense for Pittsburgh. Coates’ path back to full health will include rehab from surgery.

Just got out of surgery went great! #thankYouGod
— Sammie Coates (@sammiecoates11) January 31, 2017

Jeremy Fowler of ESPN.com reports that Coates had fractures and tendon damage repaired in the surgery. There’s no word on when Coates will be back to full health, but getting the surgery out of the way now would seem to set him up for a full workload by training camp at the latest.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/01/31/sammie-coates-recovering-from-surgery/

feltdizz
01-31-2017, 03:10 PM
I read that he was burning it up in practice. Of course we all know nothing, just read and repeat likely rumours, and make judgements with very little hard data behind them.

Against our zone? Not surprised...

SidSmythe
01-31-2017, 04:01 PM
Coates' negative coming out of college was his lack of hands.

When you see the ball in the air and then Coates appears on your TV screen you hold your breath. That's not good.

Real Deal Steel
01-31-2017, 06:10 PM
And someone told me we don't need to make wide reciever one of our priorities in the off-season? :rolleyes:

squidkid
01-31-2017, 06:16 PM
its amazing that someone actually had him in the game handing KOs and was depending on him to lead the offense with brown being doubled.............what a d!psh!t

pittpete
01-31-2017, 07:41 PM
The great Danny Smith having him return kicks...:HeadBanger

Shoe
02-02-2017, 11:51 PM
Coates' negative coming out of college was his lack of hands.

When you see the ball in the air and then Coates appears on your TV screen you hold your breath. That's not good.

Coates hands are horrible, and the fact that he broke his fingers is just an excuse. Some guys just have horrendous hands... Ike Taylor as a pro for 12 years, and his hands never rose above gaw doffel.

winwithd
02-03-2017, 12:29 AM
The great Danny Smith having him return kicks...:HeadBanger

Has he fumbled on returns? I don't recall any. He has had some nice returns. Much better than toussaint.

RuthlessBurgher
02-03-2017, 11:17 AM
Coates hands are horrible, and the fact that he broke his fingers is just an excuse. Some guys just have horrendous hands... Ike Taylor as a pro for 12 years, and his hands never rose above gaw doffel.

Coates averaged over 80 yards per game in the first 5 weeks before he broke his fingers. He was on pace for 60 catches for nearly 1350 yards and 6 TD's at that point, then had 2 catches for 14 yards for the rest of the season. How can you seriously say that broken fingers are only an excuse?

NorthCoast
02-03-2017, 01:20 PM
The great Danny Smith having him return kicks...:HeadBangerwhen is the announcement of his firing?

NorthCoast
02-03-2017, 01:24 PM
Coates averaged over 80 yards per game in the first 5 weeks before he broke his fingers. He was on pace for 60 catches for nearly 1350 yards and 6 TD's at that point, then had 2 catches for 14 yards for the rest of the season. How can you seriously say that broken fingers are only an excuse?I think it is a legitimate reason for his struggles. But is was a legitimate reason for NOT putting him in the AFCCG game plan as well.

squidkid
02-03-2017, 05:15 PM
Coates averaged over 80 yards per game in the first 5 weeks before he broke his fingers. He was on pace for 60 catches for nearly 1350 yards and 6 TD's at that point, then had 2 catches for 14 yards for the rest of the season. How can you seriously say that broken fingers are only an excuse?

and 30 drops

RuthlessBurgher
02-03-2017, 05:25 PM
and 30 drops

A hand laceration and multiple broken fingers don't make catching a football more difficult, does it?

squidkid
02-03-2017, 05:29 PM
A hand laceration and multiple broken fingers don't make catching a football more difficult, does it?

he was on that pace before those minor issues

RuthlessBurgher
02-03-2017, 05:39 PM
he was on that pace before those minor issues

Minor issues? For a receiver?

Let's drop a sledgehammer on Usain Bolt's foot so there's open wound and a couple of toes are broken. Now go run the 100M dash, buddy.

squidkid
02-03-2017, 06:03 PM
Minor issues? For a receiver?

Let's drop a sledgehammer on Usain Bolt's foot so there's open wound and a couple of toes are broken. Now go run the 100M dash, buddy.

they were minor enough that tomlin allowed him to return kicks, start him in afcc and deactivate a healthy ayres. not to mention waiting until after the season to have surgery.

Slapstick
02-03-2017, 07:25 PM
they were minor enough that tomlin allowed him to return kicks, start him in afcc and deactivate a healthy ayres. not to mention waiting until after the season to have surgery.

But, if he sat, he would be another Shazier...:rolleyes:

pittpete
02-03-2017, 09:33 PM
Has he fumbled on returns? I don't recall any. He has had some nice returns. Much better than toussaint.

I guess its definitely worth the risk letting a guy return kicks with broken fingers:rolleyes:

Shoe
02-03-2017, 11:56 PM

Well I guess we'll just have to wait and see... but the reason he (with his athletic ability) fell to 3rd is because he had frying pan hands in college.

feltdizz
02-04-2017, 10:00 AM
Well I guess we'll just have to wait and see... but the reason he (with his athletic ability) fell to 3rd is because he had frying pan hands in college.

he is a body catcher and I HATE those types. Dude makes himself 5 inches shorter due to his horrible technique.

That being said, he is still a weapon IF his hand injury was the primary reason for his short arms in the Pats game. I remember the game he balled out and he still had 4 or 5 easy drops. I think that was the game where we first heard about his injury.

Mr.wizard
02-04-2017, 10:15 AM
Steelers are willing to wait and see with Coates, they will let him heal up and they are going to work with him. The guy can just flat out get open, he's big, fast, and a match up nightmare, he will get every opportunity.

RuthlessBurgher
02-14-2017, 11:09 AM
Sammie Coates recovering from groin surgery
Posted by Josh Alper on February 14, 2017, 8:10 AM EST

Steelers wide receiver Sammie Coates may qualify for a volume discount on surgery this offseason.

Coates had surgery last month to repair the finger injuries that limited his effectiveness during the 2016 season and he revealed another operation on Monday night. Coates wrote on Twitter that “having surgery on your pelvis” is an unpleasant experience and responded affirmatively to a question about whether the surgery was to repair a groin injury.

Coates didn’t give a timetable for his return to physical activity from the surgery, but the typical timeline should leave him ready to go in time for offseason work and training camp.

Coates had 21 catches over the course of the season with 19 of them coming in the first five games of the year. He and the Steelers will hope that better health leads to more sustained success in 2017.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/02/14/sammie-coates-recovering-from-groin-surgery/

phillyesq
02-14-2017, 12:39 PM

Ayers had surgery after the season, too, so I'm not sure that he was healthy.

phillyesq
02-14-2017, 12:40 PM
he is a body catcher and I HATE those types. Dude makes himself 5 inches shorter due to his horrible technique.

That being said, he is still a weapon IF his hand injury was the primary reason for his short arms in the Pats game. I remember the game he balled out and he still had 4 or 5 easy drops. I think that was the game where we first heard about his injury.

It was the Jets game.

squidkid
02-14-2017, 04:25 PM
well, thats 2 more balls coates wont be getting his hands on for awhile.

Real Deal Steel
02-14-2017, 04:28 PM
Like I've been saying, between the mystery of Bryant, Green and Coates, we need to seriously look at Kenny Britt in free agency. Give Ben someone other then Rodgers and Brown. He needs weapons to get that ball out of his hands. That keeps Ben healthy.

RuthlessBurgher
02-14-2017, 04:39 PM
Report: Sammie Coates didn’t have finger surgery
Posted by Josh Alper on February 14, 2017, 2:37 PM EST

Steelers wide receiver Sammie Coates discussed recent groin surgery on Twitter on Monday, which appeared to be the second time that he’d had an operation since the end of the regular season.

In a late January tweet, Coates wrote that he’d just gotten out of surgery and Jeremy Fowler of ESPN.com reported that the operation was done to repair “fractures and tendon damage” to fingers on his left hand. Coates’ injured fingers led to frequent appearances on the injury report and caused him trouble on the field, but Fowler now says that report was incorrect.

Per Fowler, Coates has only had the sports hernia surgery he was discussing on Monday. That injury was never noted on the league’s injury report, which was reportedly due to the team’s feeling that it wasn’t limiting him at practice at any point in the year.

It’s not the first injury that the Steelers failed to list on their injury report only to have it come to light after the end of the season. Running back Le’Veon Bell’s groin injury wasn’t listed leading into the AFC Championship Game, which led to a league investigation after he left that game and said the injury had been bothering him for some time.

No results of that investigation have been announced and it’s not clear if the inconsistency with Coates will also merit a look, although the league may choose to pass on any substantive punishment anyway.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/02/14/report-sammie-coates-didnt-have-finger-surgery/

NorthCoast
02-14-2017, 08:22 PM
Report: Sammie Coates didn’t have finger surgery
Posted by Josh Alper on February 14, 2017, 2:37 PM EST

Steelers wide receiver Sammie Coates discussed recent groin surgery on Twitter on Monday, which appeared to be the second time that he’d had an operation since the end of the regular season.

In a late January tweet, Coates wrote that he’d just gotten out of surgery and Jeremy Fowler of ESPN.com reported that the operation was done to repair “fractures and tendon damage” to fingers on his left hand. Coates’ injured fingers led to frequent appearances on the injury report and caused him trouble on the field, but Fowler now says that report was incorrect.

Per Fowler, Coates has only had the sports hernia surgery he was discussing on Monday. That injury was never noted on the league’s injury report, which was reportedly due to the team’s feeling that it wasn’t limiting him at practice at any point in the year.

It’s not the first injury that the Steelers failed to list on their injury report only to have it come to light after the end of the season. Running back Le’Veon Bell’s groin injury wasn’t listed leading into the AFC Championship Game, which led to a league investigation after he left that game and said the injury had been bothering him for some time.

No results of that investigation have been announced and it’s not clear if the inconsistency with Coates will also merit a look, although the league may choose to pass on any substantive punishment anyway.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/02/14/report-sammie-coates-didnt-have-finger-surgery/Getting ridiculous. I would guess 75% of players are dealing with some nick during the season and don't disclose it. As I said before, if the NFL forces this issue all teams will take NE's approach and list everyone every week....