PDA

View Full Version : When Martavis Bryant Returns Next Year...

Slapstick
12-27-2016, 02:33 PM
...there are going to be some tough choices made at WR...

AB is, of course, a given...
Bryant is, without a doubt, our most physically gifted WR...
DHB was signed to a new contract this offseason...
Eli Rogers has settled into his role as a slot WR (third on the team in catches and receiving yards)...

Then you have:

Sammie Coates, who flashed early but was then injured...still, he put together a pretty solid season, averaging over 20 yards per catch...

Cobi Hamilton, a big WR, who caught 14 passes and a TD...not bad for a guy the Steelers claimed off of the proverbial scrap heap...

Demarcus Ayers...that 35 yard PI was the momentum changer that the Steelers needed...then, catching a short pass and wisely getting out of bounds to stop the clock later...I would really like to see him get some playing time against the Browns...

In any case, there will be room for 6 WRs max...there is probably going to be a true NFL caliber player released or stashed on the PS...

RuthlessBurgher
12-27-2016, 03:03 PM
Antonio and Martavis are your starters outside. Rogers is your slot receiver. Coates and DHB get the #4 and #5 slots because they can both stretch the field (when healthy) while also contributing on special teams as well. Hamilton and Ayers will have to battle it out to impress the WR and ST coaches to try to convince the team that it would be worth keeping a WR6 next year. We do know that Markus Wheaton will be playing elsewhere next season.

SteelCrazy
12-27-2016, 04:02 PM
...there are going to be some tough choices made at WR...

AB is, of course, a given...
Bryant is, without a doubt, our most physically gifted WR...
DHB was signed to a new contract this offseason...
Eli Rogers has settled into his role as a slot WR (third on the team in catches and receiving yards)...

Then you have:

Sammie Coates, who flashed early but was then injured...still, he put together a pretty solid season, averaging over 20 yards per catch...

Cobi Hamilton, a big WR, who caught 14 passes and a TD...not bad for a guy the Steelers claimed off of the proverbial scrap heap...

Demarcus Ayers...that 35 yard PI was the momentum changer that the Steelers needed...then, catching a short pass and wisely getting out of bounds to stop the clock later...I would really like to see him get some playing time against the Browns...

In any case, there will be room for 6 WRs max...there is probably going to be a true NFL caliber player released or stashed on the PS...

My guess is Ayers goes back to the PS. If not, Hamilton if he is still eligible. Not sure how the PS works

Shoe
12-27-2016, 04:19 PM
Martavis is key. I think as AB goes on, we'll need a true 1b WR (not a #2). I just think at some point, he's going to show that he's human. (i.e. We lock AB up to a big contract, and he gets hurt. We would be subpar, with a Coates-led WR corps. With Martavis, he definitely has shown the ability to beat #1 CB attention (e.g. Aqib Talib last year).

I hate to see a young guy like Cobi Hamilton or Ayers, go off to some place like NE* and become the next Deion Branch-Edelman-Welker... a guy like Ayers or Eli Rogers I could really see shining in that role). I actually think we've seen the best of Coates.

I could see the argument coming next season (if Bryant can keep his nose clean), that we have the best #1 WR, the best #2 WR in the league, a scary #3 WR, and one of the best #4 WR in the league in Rogers. If Ladarius can come back, or lets say we are in position to draft the next Heath Miller... add Bell's WR skills to the mix... lets say Nix works hard at his receiving... :D

winwithd
12-27-2016, 05:16 PM
My guess is Ayers goes back to the PS. If not, Hamilton if he is still eligible. Not sure how the PS works

Wasn't Ayers picked to replace AB as the return guy? Question then do you take a roster spot for just a return man. Maybe Hamilton can be a core ST player who plays WR if someone is injured.

Ernie
12-27-2016, 05:49 PM
Martavis is key. I think as AB goes on, we'll need a true 1b WR (not a #2). I just think at some point, he's going to show that he's human. (i.e. We lock AB up to a big contract, and he gets hurt. We would be subpar, with a Coates-led WR corps. With Martavis, he definitely has shown the ability to beat #1 CB attention (e.g. Aqib Talib last year).

I hate to see a young guy like Cobi Hamilton or Ayers, go off to some place like NE* and become the next Deion Branch-Edelman-Welker... a guy like Ayers or Eli Rogers I could really see shining in that role). I actually think we've seen the best of Coates.

I could see the argument coming next season (if Bryant can keep his nose clean), that we have the best #1 WR, the best #2 WR in the league, a scary #3 WR, and one of the best #4 WR in the league in Rogers. If Ladarius can come back, or lets say we are in position to draft the next Heath Miller... add Bell's WR skills to the mix... lets say Nix works hard at his receiving... :D

Shoe. I am following you all the way to drafting the next Heath Miller. I think TE is low on our list of needs going into the season. Even if Green is out... James and Grimble will be fine. If a 'Gronk' type is there... I'd take him. Otherwise, I think we are ok at TE

feltdizz
12-27-2016, 05:58 PM
We already have the next Heath... we just have to use him.

papillon
12-27-2016, 05:59 PM
We already have the next Heath... we just have to use him.

He has to be healthy as well.

Pappy

pittpete
12-27-2016, 06:04 PM
All depends on who can play ST...

Ernie
12-27-2016, 06:08 PM
He has to be healthy as well.

Pappy

Im not sure which TE dizz was referring to.. but, in my opinion... James' play more closely resembles Heath... than L. Green. Not saying James = Heath... but he could be an adequate replacement in time. James has developed into a solid blocking TE. Haven't seen enough of Green in that regard...but know that Green is a freak stretching the field vertically.

Oviedo
12-27-2016, 06:21 PM
Not counting on Bryant quite yet. Guy hasn't proven he has the ability to make it through an off season clean. Good luck to him

Would we consider resigning Wheaton? He is experienced and know the offense and hardly has shown enough this year to expect big money on the open market. He might be willing to take a one-year "show me" contract

Ernie
12-27-2016, 06:29 PM
Not counting on Bryant quite yet. Guy hasn't proven he has the ability to make it through an off season clean. Good luck to him

Would we consider resigning Wheaton? He is experienced and know the offense and hardly has shown enough this year to expect big money on the open market. He might be willing to take a one-year "show me" contract

Oh man you are going to get hammered for asking that question..lol. I've always liked Wheaton's potential... personally. I liked Manny Sanders too, when a lot of guys on here didn't. I wouldn't mind seeing him back on a one year deal... to compete for a job. I don't think it's going to happen though. He'll have to earn his keep elsewhere.. IMO

SidSmythe
12-27-2016, 06:54 PM
Wheaton has never looked fluid to me. Sometimes he's plain awkward looking out there.

Ayers deserves a look along with Hamilton.

squidkid
12-27-2016, 06:59 PM
easy answer, YES.

Ernie
12-27-2016, 07:02 PM
Wheaton has never looked fluid to me. Sometimes he's plain awkward looking out there.

Ayers deserves a look along with Hamilton.

Maybe.. Other than the 3 drop game early this year... I thought he had some production... for no more targets than he had.

Mr.wizard
12-27-2016, 08:22 PM
Wheaton sucks, I don't think the Steelers bring him back. We won the division with Bryant out and didn't need Wheaton at all, no reason to resign him.

Iron City Inc.
12-27-2016, 08:38 PM
Wheaton sucks, I don't think the Steelers bring him back. We won the division with Bryant out and didn't need Wheaton at all, no reason to resign him.
I agree he will not be back but I would disagree that he sucks. He'll land in the league somewhere for sure. He imho has a average skill set from route running to speed and hands all are okay but not special. He was a hard worker at camp and always took extra reps so I wish him well. Having Eli in the slot does make him expendable.

Mr.wizard
12-27-2016, 09:57 PM
I agree he will not be back but I would disagree that he sucks. He'll land in the league somewhere for sure. He imho has a average skill set from route running to speed and hands all are okay but not special. He was a hard worker at camp and always took extra reps so I wish him well. Having Eli in the slot does make him expendable.

He will land somewhere in the league, but I don't think he sticks around very long, he just isn't very good.

Slapstick
12-27-2016, 10:02 PM
He will land somewhere in the league, but I don't think he sticks around very long, he just isn't very good.

The same thing was said about Emmanuel Sanders...

Shoe
12-27-2016, 10:21 PM
Im not sure which TE dizz was referring to.. but, in my opinion... James' play more closely resembles Heath... than L. Green. Not saying James = Heath... but he could be an adequate replacement in time. James has developed into a solid blocking TE. Haven't seen enough of Green in that regard...but know that Green is a freak stretching the field vertically.

I was high on Jesse going into this season too, but at this point, he's just a Matt Spaeth. He's no sort of reincarnation of Heath.

When I said we draft a TE, I'm just saying that if we have the opportunity to draft a Travis Kelce type guy (did you see that catch/run he had last week?), or even a guy like that kid last year Hunter Henry, it should be a consideration. TE is another great mismatch, and if they can get an all-around guy like Heath would be awesome.

I understand that we have other needs (LB), but value should always trump need.

pittpete
12-27-2016, 11:16 PM

Who said that?
The Pats were looking to grab him from us.

Ernie
12-28-2016, 07:28 AM

Exactly.... and James Harrison, Willy Gay... etc.

Ernie
12-28-2016, 07:29 AM
Who said that?
The Pats were looking to grab him from us.

A lot of folks on here were hating on Manny his last year.

Ernie
12-28-2016, 07:32 AM
[QUOTE=Shoe;681695]I was high on Jesse going into this season too, but at this point, he's just a Matt Spaeth. He's no sort of reincarnation of Heath.

When I said we draft a TE, I'm just saying that if we have the opportunity to draft a Travis Kelce type guy (did you see that catch/run he had last week?), or even a guy like that kid last year Hunter Henry, it should be a consideration. TE is another great mismatch, and if they can get an all

If you were high on him going into the season... I'm sure his stock is only looking up in week 17. Like I said in a previous post.. I'm all for drafting a "Gronk" or a Kelce type of TE... if the value is there when we pick. Last year's draft was based on need... let's be honest...and it seems to have worked out pretty well so far.

Mr.wizard
12-28-2016, 07:38 AM

The same thing thing was said about a ton of guys who didn't make it, we will just have to wait and see.

Shawn
12-28-2016, 08:10 AM
I don't think it's a done deal that Bryant makes it onto the field. Did he get some treatment? Some help? If not, it's only a matter of time that he smokes again.

NorthCoast
12-28-2016, 11:02 AM
Guess I am in the minority and believe the Steelers should move on from Bryant, or at least have a very short leash. They have proven they can win without him. They should focus on players that put team before themselves.

RuthlessBurgher
12-28-2016, 11:15 AM
Guess I am in the minority and believe the Steelers should move on from Bryant, or at least have a very short leash. They have proven they can win without him. They should focus on players that put team before themselves.

Should the team let Le'Veon Bell walk when his rookie deal is up?

Shawn
12-28-2016, 01:46 PM
Should the team let Le'Veon Bell walk when his rookie deal is up? If he is wanting a long term top RB in the league deal? Absolutely.

Shawn
12-28-2016, 01:47 PM
Guess I am in the minority and believe the Steelers should move on from Bryant, or at least have a very short leash. They have proven they can win without him. They should focus on players that put team before themselves. He would be on a very short leash with me. He would also have gone to treatment and be active in recovery before he ever seen the field.

Jigawatts
12-28-2016, 02:21 PM
Bryant is a special kind of player you don't give up on so easily. I think he's the missing piece to this offense that would make it great.

Personally, I think it makes no sense to suspend a guy an entire season for smoking weed, and give him nothing to do all season but think about smoking weed, but those are the rules and Bryant needs to be smart.

Unfortunately, he already has had multiple chances and doesn't seem like the kind of guy that's going to change.

pittpete
12-28-2016, 06:00 PM
I don't think it's a done deal that Bryant makes it onto the field. Did he get some treatment? Some help? If not, it's only a matter of time that he smokes again.

LOL, treatment....
Here's your treatment.....Do you want this money you A S S HO L E ?( Martavius not Shawn)
Problem solved.....;)

Mr.wizard
12-28-2016, 07:34 PM
If he is wanting a long term top RB in the league deal? Absolutely.

Really? He is arguably the top running back in the league and we should let walk if wants a long term deal?

Oviedo
12-28-2016, 08:59 PM
Bryant is a special kind of player you don't give up on so easily. I think he's the missing piece to this offense that would make it great.

Personally, I think it makes no sense to suspend a guy an entire season for smoking weed, and give him nothing to do all season but think about smoking weed, but those are the rules and Bryant needs to be smart.

Unfortunately, he already has had multiple chances and doesn't seem like the kind of guy that's going to change.

Maybe a special player but a seriously flawed person who obviously can't follow simple instructions even when it could cost him his livelihood. I agree with you. There are far more Josh Gordons than there are Cris Carters. I think Bryant will prove to be the former not the latter. So sad.

NorthCoast
12-29-2016, 10:57 AM
Would like nothing more than for MB to succeed, just as I wanted Santonio Holmes to succeed. In SH's case, the Steelers must have understood there was more of a problem there than they wanted to deal with. In the end, it is about winning football games, not rehabbing players. Where I work there is a two strike policy, meaning fail the second time, you can kiss your career goodbye. Harsh?, fair?, don't know, but that is the policy.

Sword
12-29-2016, 12:15 PM

nope your not alone....They should move on without him.....

RuthlessBurgher
12-29-2016, 12:46 PM
For those who are LeVeon Bell fans but want to dump Martavis outright, what is the difference? Just curious...

Shawn
12-29-2016, 01:12 PM
LOL, treatment....
Here's your treatment.....Do you want this money you A S S HO L E ?( Martavius not Shawn)
Problem solved.....;) That's why drug addiction is referred to as baffling, cunning, and powerful. He knew smoking pot would cost him games, money and possibly career yet he still smoked.

Shawn
12-29-2016, 01:16 PM
Really? He is arguably the top running back in the league and we should let walk if wants a long term deal? If he wants top running back in the league money, long term? The only way you can provide that is if you have strong language allowing the Steelers to recover the signing bonus and keep the guaranteed money low if he gets nabbed again for substance abuse. Anything less is just stupid. Do you believe handing him massive guaranteed money will help his decision making? I don't. IMO, the Steelers franchise him if he chooses not to add language that protects the team.

Shawn
12-29-2016, 01:17 PM
For those who are LeVeon Bell fans but want to dump Martavis outright, what is the difference? Just curious... IMO, there isn't much difference other than the fact that Bryant has had more infractions of the leagues substance abuse policy.

NorthCoast
12-29-2016, 01:44 PM
For those who are LeVeon Bell fans but want to dump Martavis outright, what is the difference? Just curious...

The difference for me are these kinds of things:

Roethlisberger said Bryant lied to him, both before the suspension was announced and after.

“I just think the approach, the denial of everything. Looking me in my eye and denying everything, it’s tough. It disappoints you as a man and a guy who cared so much about him. I obviously care a lot about him as a person and a football player.”

Guy still doesn't get it or is still struggling with reasons why he does it in the first place.

Slapstick
12-29-2016, 02:44 PM
Or, he needed to hit rock bottom and take a mandatory year away from football in order to be in a position to learn...

Shawn
12-29-2016, 03:29 PM
Or, he needed to hit rock bottom and take a mandatory year away from football in order to be in a position to learn... Lets hope.

SteelerOfDeVille
12-29-2016, 04:12 PM
I was high on Jesse going into this season too, but at this point, he's just a Matt Spaeth. He's no sort of reincarnation of Heath.

When I said we draft a TE, I'm just saying that if we have the opportunity to draft a Travis Kelce type guy (did you see that catch/run he had last week?), or even a guy like that kid last year Hunter Henry, it should be a consideration. TE is another great mismatch, and if they can get an all-around guy like Heath would be awesome.

I understand that we have other needs (LB), but value should always trump need.I struggle with this draft (yes, I'm always looking ahead)... Would love to get a pass-rusher AND a best ILB; add to that a solid backup RB, and a solid TE. The biggest question in all of this draft (in my eyes) is Zach Cunningham. If he falls, you take him... "value". He may be the best ILB (but, light in the pants). Very quick reaction times. Him and Shaz would be terrors. If he doesn't, you likely take one of the pass rushers (Carl Lawson?)

Oviedo
12-29-2016, 04:55 PM
Or, he needed to hit rock bottom and take a mandatory year away from football in order to be in a position to learn...

Like I said earlier, there are more Josh Gordon's than Cris Carter's. Just have the feeling Bryant is another Gordon.

feltdizz
12-29-2016, 06:00 PM

I understand that we have other needs (LB), but value should always trump need.

james is much better than Spaeth. I believe we targeted James 5 times on the last 2 TD drives vs Baltimore. All we have to do is throw him the damn ball over the middle, he is a big target and he had 3TDs early this season before we got all vertical happy with Green.

Dont get me wrong, Green is nice but we went to him too often and it led to some bad INT's. He was triple covered vs Buffalo and Ben was still trying to force it to him.

James isn't Gates but he is a solid TE who can move the chains if we use him.

He caught 4 passes on the game winning drive. FOUR!!!! He can be a Heath clone if that's what we want.

Slapstick
12-29-2016, 06:27 PM
Like I said earlier, there are more Josh Gordon's than Cris Carter's. Just have the feeling Bryant is another Gordon.

Time will tell...

Shawn
12-29-2016, 08:02 PM
I struggle with this draft (yes, I'm always looking ahead)... Would love to get a pass-rusher AND a best ILB; add to that a solid backup RB, and a solid TE. The biggest question in all of this draft (in my eyes) is Zach Cunningham. If he falls, you take him... "value". He may be the best ILB (but, light in the pants). Very quick reaction times. Him and Shaz would be terrors. If he doesn't, you likely take one of the pass rushers (Carl Lawson?) I'm betting the Steelers draft a running back in the first three rounds of this draft.

RuthlessBurgher
12-29-2016, 09:03 PM
I'm betting the Steelers draft a running back in the first three rounds of this draft.

I already suggested the possibility of Christian McCaffrey in late round one because he has a very similar skill set to Le'Veon Bell (plus CM sends his college tape to LB to critique and LB calls CM "my guy"). If we only keep Bell for one more year on the franchise tag, we have his replacement, who will have a year to learn from Bell. If we extend Bell for another 3-4 years, we can afford to keep both of them while Christian is on his rookie deal. And they both can be used at the same time because they can both run out of the backfield or run great routes and catch passes.

papillon
12-29-2016, 09:12 PM
Adam Schefter is reporting that Bell will be tagged and then a long term deal worked out for him to stay with the Steelers, unless, this is fake news. :p

Pappy

pittpete
12-29-2016, 11:33 PM
I'm most certain the Steelers will put something into his contract about his marijuana use..

You smoke the hash you lose the cash

feltdizz
12-30-2016, 02:15 AM
There is no way we let Bell go. He is a modern day Adrian Peterson. You dont bet on the draft for another Bell.

Slapstick
12-30-2016, 06:39 AM
There is no way we let Bell go. He is a modern day Adrian Peterson. You dont bet on the draft for another Bell.

Isn't Adrian Peterson the modern day Adrian Peterson? I realize he's been hurt this season, but just last year he had almost 1500 yards rushing and 11 TDs...

Shawn
12-30-2016, 07:51 AM
There is no way we let Bell go. He is a modern day Adrian Peterson. You dont bet on the draft for another Bell. I don't see any way the Steelers let Bell just walk. He will be franchised and he will sign a Steeler friendly contract with language protecting them in case he violates the leagues substance abuse policy again. You draft a running back early as well. And like Ruthless was saying, you can afford to keep both.

Ernie
12-30-2016, 07:52 AM
I don't see any way the Steelers let Bell just walk. He will be franchised and he will sign a Steeler friendly contract with language protecting them in case he violates the leagues substance abuse policy again. You draft a running back early as well. And like Ruthless was saying, you can afford to keep both.

Im thinking they keep him around as long as Ben is still on the team. I also agree we draft a RB early. It's definitely a 2 back league nowadays. I wouldn't be disappointed if they kept D Williams around next year either.

RuthlessBurgher
12-30-2016, 11:21 AM
It's dumb to sign two veteran RB's to big money deals like Carolina did with DeAngelo and Stewart when they were both in their prime a few years back, because that throws your cap balance out of whack. But you can pay one veteran RB big money and draft a rookie to be the backup, since that incoming draft pick will be affordable for 4-5 years on a rookie contract. At that point, Bell will be pushing 30 anyway, so you won't need to worry about having to deal with a Panther-like multiple RB big cap hit.

feltdizz
12-30-2016, 11:48 AM
I don't see any way the Steelers let Bell just walk. He will be franchised and he will sign a Steeler friendly contract with language protecting them in case he violates the leagues substance abuse policy again. You draft a running back early as well. And like Ruthless was saying, you can afford to keep both.

Yes, I agree. I think Ben, Bell and Brown will stay together until Ben retires. Bell keeps Ben cleaner than the board of health.

Shoe
12-30-2016, 02:12 PM
Adam Schefter is reporting that Bell will be tagged and then a long term deal worked out for him to stay with the Steelers, unless, this is fake news. :p

Pappy

The contract should be a relatively simple one. Pay the man, if he fvcks up and smokes, he loses his money.

He deserves whatever he can get, but if he smokes, he deserves to have the rug pulled out from under him.

SteelerOfDeVille
12-30-2016, 02:21 PM
I'm betting the Steelers draft a running back in the first three rounds of this draft.I've actually already done some "scouting"... Apart from the 1st rounders, my fav RB in this draft is Matt Dayes from NC State (and already in my sig). Pretty complete back with the appropriate amount of wiggle, power, vision, patience and fit in the passing game.

If you haven't watched him, check out a highlight vid. SLIGHTLY small-ish. For perspective, weighs roughly the same as Christian McCaffery, but, a couple inches shorter (i.e., he's of thicker build).

I take pride in my RB scouting - so, if I throw a name out there, you can usually bet on him.

Shoe
12-30-2016, 05:57 PM
I've actually already done some "scouting"... Apart from the 1st rounders, my fav RB in this draft is Matt Dayes from NC State (and already in my sig). Pretty complete back with the appropriate amount of wiggle, power, vision, patience and fit in the passing game.

If you haven't watched him, check out a highlight vid. SLIGHTLY small-ish. For perspective, weighs roughly the same as Christian McCaffery, but, a couple inches shorter (i.e., he's of thicker build).

I take pride in my RB scouting - so, if I throw a name out there, you can usually bet on him.

While we could obviously use a guy like that, I think its a luxury. Bell is still so young, that he can handle all of the duties that a young guy could. i.e. You wouldn't pull Bell out, to let Matt Dayes play in any circumstance. There are simply so many Deangelo Williams type guys (older guys, can still do a reasonable job in a pinch), and young unheard of's (e.g. Bilal Powell) who you can easily plug in. I do think we need an upgrade from Touissant, who is nothing but an insurance salesman.

Ladarius' head is like a soft-boiled egg at this point... Jesse James is a decent #2... I see TE as the need on offense, ALONG with taking another shot at a QB.

Mr.wizard
12-31-2016, 12:12 AM
The contract should be a relatively simple one. Pay the man, if he fvcks up and smokes, he loses his money.

He deserves whatever he can get, but if he smokes, he deserves to have the rug pulled out from under him.

That is pretty much how all NFL contracts are set up, except under the CBA teams can only recoup or void guaranteed money. The teams can't actually go after a players salary because it's not guaranteed.

SteelerOfDeVille
12-31-2016, 02:16 PM
While we could obviously use a guy like that, I think its a luxury. Bell is still so young, that he can handle all of the duties that a young guy could. i.e. You wouldn't pull Bell out, to let Matt Dayes play in any circumstance. There are simply so many Deangelo Williams type guys (older guys, can still do a reasonable job in a pinch), and young unheard of's (e.g. Bilal Powell) who you can easily plug in. I do think we need an upgrade from Touissant, who is nothing but an insurance salesman.

Ladarius' head is like a soft-boiled egg at this point... Jesse James is a decent #2... I see TE as the need on offense, ALONG with taking another shot at a QB.
That's where you're wrong... there aren't "a bunch" of DeAngelo williams guys.

And Dayes in the mid-rounds is a solid pick up. Covers you in the event Bell misses a game or two (FYI, he hasn't played 16 yet)

Shawn
12-31-2016, 09:58 PM

Ladarius' head is like a soft-boiled egg at this point... Jesse James is a decent #2... I see TE as the need on offense, ALONG with taking another shot at a QB. I think the Steelers will be thinking of a running back earlier than you think. First, Bell has either been injured or suspended which has kept him off the field. Theres no guarantee Bell can stay straight and not smoke himself out of the league. The Steelers will draft insurance especially if they cant get a long term deal done before the draft.

Shawn
12-31-2016, 09:59 PM

And Dayes in the mid-rounds is a solid pick up. Covers you in the event Bell misses a game or two (FYI, he hasn't played 16 yet) I haven't done any scouting yet but I agree with your reasoning.

Slapstick
01-01-2017, 09:45 PM
My opinion on the WR situation has not changed...

Rogers led the team in receptions and yards...

Both Ayers and Hamilton scored TDs...

Hell, even Hey-Bey caught a bomb from Landry...

Stacked!!

Shoe
01-01-2017, 11:00 PM

And Dayes in the mid-rounds is a solid pick up. Covers you in the event Bell misses a game or two (FYI, he hasn't played 16 yet)

I'm not saying they will be as good as Williams has been, but they can be had: Darren McFadden, Arian Foster, LaGarrette Blount, Ryan Matthews, Frank Gore, Matt Forte, Adrian Peterson (yes, I said Peterson... hes gotta be over 30 by now). The point is, there are alot of past their prime guys who are one off-season or less away from being a 2nd fiddle, who can still dial it up for 2-4 games theroughout a year. I just think drafting a young guy who, if things go as planned (i.e. Bell stays healthy all year), the young guy would get no run. (After all, he can't run better than Bell, he can't catch better than Bell, he pass-block better than Bell, he can't run on the goal-line). You would never pull Bell for a young guy.

RuthlessBurgher
01-01-2017, 11:13 PM
I'm not saying they will be as good as Williams has been, but they can be had: Darren McFadden, Arian Foster, LaGarrette Blount, Ryan Matthews, Frank Gore, Matt Forte, Adrian Peterson (yes, I said Peterson... hes gotta be over 30 by now). The point is, there are alot of past their prime guys who are one off-season or less away from being a 2nd fiddle, who can still dial it up for 2-4 games theroughout a year. I just think drafting a young guy who, if things go as planned (i.e. Bell stays healthy all year), the young guy would get no run. (After all, he can't run better than Bell, he can't catch better than Bell, he pass-block better than Bell, he can't run on the goal-line). You would never pull Bell for a young guy.

I suggested McCaffrey because he has a very similar skill set as Bell. You can play them both at the same time, either both in the backfield, line up one of them in the slot to run pass patterns like a wideout, motion them in and out of the backfield, confuse the defense, etc.

SteelerOfDeVille
01-09-2017, 04:23 PM
I suggested McCaffrey because he has a very similar skill set as Bell. You can play them both at the same time, either both in the backfield, line up one of them in the slot to run pass patterns like a wideout, motion them in and out of the backfield, confuse the defense, etc.i get that. i'm just of the opinion that drafting a starter makes more sense than drafting a backup.
plus, you'd STILL need someone to replace Deebo.
You'd also be more inclined to low-ball and LOSE Lev Bell if you have a 1st round talent as a BACKUP.
100% AGAINST that plan.

Personally, I'd put either LB spot above, RB, particularly since we have no idea what happens with Timmons after this season (hoping he takes a team-friendly contract). And the team clearly needs someone opposite Dupree...

If there is any way Vandy ILB, Zach Cunningham is there, i'm up to the podium in 2 seconds. He's THAT good, IMO. I have no doubts he'll be a pro-bowl player for 10 seasons in the NFL (barring injury). and an all-pro at least twice.

Do yourself a favor... watch a youtube game film (not highlights/splash plays, but, GAME FILM) on an ILB.
Let's choose Raekwon McMillan... borderline 1st, but, more likely 2nd round pick. Watch about 10-15 plays. just watch his reactions to the ball.
Then, do the same with Zach Cunningham. Watch how quickly he diagnoses the play, gets TO the play. It's like this kid knew the play to begin with. It's insane.

But, I digress - I've said fairly early on, actually - this could be Timmons-Woodley redux... fitting for Tomlin's 10th draft to "rinse and repeat" and go LB-LB with the first 2 picks.

Sword
01-09-2017, 04:53 PM

I agree! not helping the team being suspended..give it to someone who is clean......

RuthlessBurgher
01-09-2017, 05:35 PM
I agree! not helping the team being suspended..give it to someone who is clean......

Do you just let Le'Veon walk out the door as well? He's been suspended for the same thing the last two years as well.

Oviedo
01-09-2017, 05:46 PM
I'm also liking Zach Cunningham but we have to do something to get a better pass rush opposite Dupree. Not sure we can ignore that any later than Round 2.

fordfixer
01-09-2017, 10:14 PM
I'm also liking Zach Cunningham but we have to do something to get a better pass rush opposite Dupree. Not sure we can ignore that any later than Round 2.
Isn't that Richy's older brother?