PDA

View Full Version : Eli Rogers - dang, he looks good

SanAntonioSteelerFan
09-12-2016, 10:44 PM
His after the catch running reminds me of someone else on the roster whose career is close to
going up in smoke.

Really happy with his performance tonight!

spyboots
09-12-2016, 10:51 PM
:Agree see above

Steelgal
09-12-2016, 10:57 PM
Very mature of him to go up to Ben after the pick and look like he took ownership of it

bostonsteeler
09-13-2016, 12:42 AM
Very mature of him to go up to Ben after the pick and look like he took ownership of it

I thought so too. He's a gamer. The reflexes on the bounce TD were pretty awesome too.

phillyesq
09-13-2016, 11:26 AM
Looks like he will be a nice underneath weapon. What's really amazing is that he almost seemed to be the second option after AB in the passing game.

BradshawsHairdresser
09-13-2016, 02:41 PM
The emergence of Rogers should make it a little easier for the team to part with Wheaton in a few months.

squidkid
09-13-2016, 02:43 PM
we should be set at wr until ben calls it quits

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
09-13-2016, 04:23 PM

That impressed me as well. It probably also helped Ben to make the decision to trust him so soon again.

phillyesq
09-13-2016, 05:31 PM
The emergence of Rogers should make it a little easier for the team to part with Wheaton in a few months.

Yup. If Bryant returns next year, the Steelers would Bryant, Rogers, Coates and DHB all under contract through 2018, plus whatever deal they work out with AB.

Eddie Spaghetti
09-13-2016, 05:35 PM
didn't realize until last night that rogers was one of those Miami kids that went to Louisville to play ball

guy looks like he seriously works on his craft. love his attitude

SteelerOfDeVille
09-16-2016, 05:42 PM
didn't realize until last night that rogers was one of those Miami kids that went to Louisville to play ball

guy looks like he seriously works on his craft. love his attitude
pretty sure he was high school teammates with Teddy Bridgewater - as a Louisville alum, gotta say I love it! He's rapidly ascending from "I'm rooting for this guy" to "I can see a Will Gay like career arc" for this guy...

RuthlessBurgher
01-13-2017, 04:58 PM
NFL fines Eli Rogers $24,309 for blindside block
Posted by Michael David Smith on January 13, 2017, 3:40 PM EST

Steelers receiver Eli Rogers was penalized for an illegal blindside block on Sunday, and now he’s paying for it.

Rogers was fined $24,309 for the block, which drew a 15-yard penalty in the Steelers’ win over the Dolphins.

The $24,309 amount is a standard fine for a blindside block, which the NFL has tried to crack down on in recent years.

All players on the Steelers were paid $27,000 for wild card week, so Rogers’ fine represents almost his entire pre-tax income for the game. However, the NFL has an appeals process that allows players to argue that a fine is excessive if it is greater than 25 percent of his weekly pay. So Rogers may be able to get the fine reduced to $6,750, which would be 25 percent of his pay for the game against the Dolphins.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/01/13/nfl-fines-eli-rogers-24309-for-blindside-block/

BradshawsHairdresser
01-13-2017, 05:07 PM
Some of his richer teammates could chip in and help him pay that fine.

diamondlucy
01-13-2017, 05:12 PM
That is BS. But it is typical of a Roger Goodell led league. He has always had it in for the Steelers.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
01-13-2017, 05:40 PM
That's the Hines Ward Rule, right?

feltdizz
01-13-2017, 06:14 PM
Screw the fines.. keep hitting.

I love it.

RuthlessBurgher
06-08-2017, 10:46 AM
Ready to put his experience to work
Posted 44 minutes ago

Teresa Varley
Steelers.com

Playing time last season benefited Eli Rogers.

Eli Rogers looked around, and then laughed when he saw a few cameras and reporters waiting for him after the Steelers OTA practice on Wednesday, quickly asking “What is this?”

As he set his helmet down, he realized that yes, everyone was waiting to talk to him.

When you play with a wide receiver group that includes Antonio Brown, sometimes it’s easy to sneak by, not be the center of attention. But with the way Rogers finished out the 2016 season, catching 48 passes for 594 yards and three touchdowns, this year he isn’t going to be able to sneak by reporters, or defenders as easily.

Rogers has been working in the slot with the starters, along with Brown and Martavis Bryant on the outside, during the team’s OTAs. He is working every day to get better, coming in this year with more confidence now that he has one key factor under his belt, experience. Rogers missed his rookie season with a foot injury, but stepped up last year, playing in 13 games with eight starts.

“Last year I played off a lot of skill and my prior knowledge of the game,” said Rogers. “I have the experience now, and the experience is everything. This year I am excited to get back out there and put my experience on display.

“It gives you that game play live action. Going back to my rookie year I didn’t play at all. I was injured all year. Then I came back and played and got some experience. It wasn’t what I thought it was going to be, but I never thought it was going to be easy. Now I have that experience so it slowed the game down a lot.”

One thing experience has taught him is hard work pays off. He is among a group of players that always stay on the field after the OTA session has ended, catching more passes, doing more drills. It’s all part of his effort to get better, even if it is during a time when improvement is hard to measure.

“I come out and try to be detailed every play, every day,” said Rogers. “I show that I have grown from last year. I want to come out every day and get better, show detail every play. Just to be better than last year. Be better every day. Do what the coaches ask me to do. Be there for my team and just make plays.

“I proved myself last year and I am going to continue to prove myself this year. I am not out here competing with anyone. I am out here competing with myself. I am just trying to get better every day within myself. We’ll see how that plays out and what the coaches think.”

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Ready-to-put-his-experience-to-work/5d6b7a62-d11d-4dea-95a6-c2f53cc5e6fe

feltdizz
06-08-2017, 10:48 AM
for some reason I have been typing Ayers when thinking about Rogers.

Steel Maniac
06-08-2017, 10:48 AM
Hard for me to think that JuJu is going to beat Eli out for the slot position.

feltdizz
06-08-2017, 10:50 AM

I can't wait to see them in action. It's a great problem to have IMO.

RuthlessBurgher
06-08-2017, 02:04 PM
It may be Eli in the slot between the 20's and Juju in the slot in the red zone at first, but I think Juju takes over the slot position full time at some point this season, then eventually becomes the outside starter opposite Brown when Bryant moves on (either he stays clean and he balls out and we are unable to retain a second big money wideout when he reaches free agency, or he screws up again and gets cut outright this time).

Coolie Man
06-08-2017, 02:58 PM
What are you talking about? Is there a link? All I know is last year he looked slow

Shawn
06-08-2017, 06:01 PM
The battle between the 3rd, 4th and 5th WRs will be a thing of legend.

Ernie
06-08-2017, 06:09 PM
for some reason I have been typing Ayers when thinking about Rogers.

You shouldn't be. Ayers is going to be one of the casualties of the Juju pick... and that's a shame, because he is going to pick up somewhere and be solid.

8467thekraken
06-08-2017, 07:06 PM

Man, you said it.

Slapstick
06-08-2017, 07:06 PM
If Ayers can prove to be a competent punt returner, he'll make the roster...

Ernie
06-08-2017, 07:42 PM
If Ayers can prove to be a competent punt returner, he'll make the roster...

He's clearly at the bottom of the WR depth chart.. along with Coby Hamilton. Maybe PR duties give him an edge. He's still on the chopping block though. Some folks are saying DHB is on the block...but I've got him making the team for the exact reason you are saying Ayers will make it...DHB is a proven special teams Ace.

Slapstick
06-08-2017, 07:56 PM
Coates also did well on Special Teams, with broken fingers no less...that may make DHB expendable...who knows?

Ernie
06-08-2017, 08:23 PM
Coates also did well on Special Teams, with broken fingers no less...that may make DHB expendable...who knows?

possible. it should be very interesting to see unfold in camp.

Shoe
06-08-2017, 08:52 PM

People gotta recognize how much of a beast they must think JJSS is, to pick him despite the cupboard being full anyway.

Shawn
06-10-2017, 06:49 PM
People gotta recognize how much of a beast they must think JJSS is, to pick him despite the cupboard being full anyway.Yet some are suggesting WR was as much of a need as filling the gaps in our secondary. It's funny how people are talking about some of our DBs playing well yet looked lost in the Pats game. And at the end of the day if you have guys that are good enough to get you to the playoffs but not to the Super Bowl you must begin to ask yourself if people need replaced. Personally, I believe Mitchell, Gay and to a lesser extent Cockrell are liabilities.

Steel Maniac
06-10-2017, 07:38 PM
Mitchell is a liability in coverage. Gay shouldn't be on the team anymore as a player.

Slapstick
06-10-2017, 08:03 PM
You also have people who freak out about one game, forgetting all of the progress that was made over the course of the season...

Shawn
06-11-2017, 07:30 AM
Mitchell is a liability in coverage. Gay shouldn't be on the team anymore as a player. you nailed that.

Captain Lemming
06-12-2017, 01:55 AM
Yet some are suggesting WR was as much of a need as filling the gaps in our secondary. It's funny how people are talking about some of our DBs playing well yet looked lost in the Pats game. And at the end of the day if you have guys that are good enough to get you to the playoffs but not to the Super Bowl you must begin to ask yourself if people need replaced. Personally, I believe Mitchell, Gay and to a lesser extent Cockrell are liabilities.

Correct Shawn.
Funny how NOBODY expressed this POV BEFORE the draft.
All of a sudden "our secondary is fine" .....What?
Why did everyone with the courage to make a mock pick secondary early?

Show me the mock that had us not taking a secondary player in the first 2 rounds.
Or had a receiver before secondary.
Or picked Juju in the first 2 rounds.

Please any of you care to state for the record that had we "traded up" and got Awuzzie As I have suggested, you would say, "hey our secondary is OK, why didnt we just take Juju and get a corner later".

Slapstick
06-12-2017, 06:55 AM
People were freaking out about WRs! How many Bryant suspension threads were there? How many people posted complaining about Coates and his broken fingers? How many people remarked that we were depending on Hamilton and Ayers, two practice squad players, as major contributors? How many people lamented the loss of Ladarius Green in the passing game?

Steel Maniac
06-12-2017, 10:02 AM
I was a reader mostly then but people were concerned about the WR corps but everyone was way more concerned about the secondary because of the way we were shredded by Brady and our inability/reluctance to play man on man defense.

I think the Captain is right on this one.

Shawn
06-12-2017, 10:26 AM
Correct Shawn.
Funny how NOBODY expressed this POV BEFORE the draft.
All of a sudden "our secondary is fine" .....What?
Why did everyone with the courage to make a mock pick secondary early?

Show me the mock that had us not taking a secondary player in the first 2 rounds.
Or had a receiver before secondary.
Or picked Juju in the first 2 rounds.

Please any of you care to state for the record that had we "traded up" and got Awuzzie As I have suggested, you would say, "hey our secondary is OK, why didnt we just take Juju and get a corner later". Here's the deal...its usually those without the balls to write some assessments and do a mock. They are the whoever the Steelers draft I'll love crowd. Which is fine, to each their own. But, they become hostile towards those who question a pick. It's like it's personal and question your fandom and intelligence. I'm all for differing opinions on players. That's what makes discussion interesting. But, no one was suggesting WR in the first two rounds. Everyone assumed OLB and secondary because those are our two greatest needs. Case closed. JuJu will be a good WR in this league but he was a luxury pick and I don't believe he helps us beat the Pats.

Shawn
06-12-2017, 10:28 AM
People were freaking out about WRs! How many Bryant suspension threads were there? How many people posted complaining about Coates and his broken fingers? How many people remarked that we were depending on Hamilton and Ayers, two practice squad players, as major contributors? How many people lamented the loss of Ladarius Green in the passing game?did you have WR in your first two rounds of your mock? Oh yeah that's right...it's easier to say I told you so when you don't actually tell us so.

Shawn
06-12-2017, 10:36 AM
I was a reader mostly then but people were concerned about the WR corps but everyone was way more concerned about the secondary because of the way we were shredded by Brady and our inability/reluctance to play man on man defense.

I think the Captain is right on this one. I think most of us suggested getting some depth at WR. I was actually suggesting Noah Brown as I seen a need for a physical JuJu like player. So I don't begrudge the Steelers for making the pick as much as I question value vs need. Having assessed both Noah Brown and JuJu I can tell you the difference between the two WRs is minimal. Brown is bigger, tougher, faster and a better blocker. Juju has better hands and is a better route runner. I also love the way juju goes after a ball. IMO, juju was a third round talent and Brown was a 4th. Getting a guy like Witherspoon or Moreau would have been huge. And before the knuckleheads in the peanut gallery scream "Shawns a homer", remember me wanting Mosley over Shazier. I'm hardest on Buckeyes. Keep in mind why Brown fell in the draft. He got lost in that O due to terrible QB play and Samuels being used as a crutch. Brown is a beast and is going to turn some heads in this league.

Steel Maniac
06-12-2017, 10:54 AM
I think it was a consensus that WR was going to be addressed in the draft. No one thought it would be second round. We've done well taking WR in the 4th round or so. That's where everyone thought that position was going to be addressed.

Slapstick
06-12-2017, 10:55 AM
did you have WR in your first two rounds of your mock? Oh yeah that's right...it's easier to say I told you so when you don't actually tell us so.

Whooo! It sure looks like one of us is taking things awfully personally! (Hint: Not me) Practice what you are preaching and we will all get along fine. Also, I never said, "I told you so." The fact that you think I somehow did says more about you than me...

Can't we all just get along?

feltdizz
06-12-2017, 10:59 AM
People were freaking out about WRs! How many Bryant suspension threads were there? How many people posted complaining about Coates and his broken fingers? How many people remarked that we were depending on Hamilton and Ayers, two practice squad players, as major contributors? How many people lamented the loss of Ladarius Green in the passing game?

Ben asked for weapons!!! Everyone said our WR depth in the Pats game was doo doo just like our secondary.

I could see if we totally ignored the secondary but we didn't.

feltdizz
06-12-2017, 11:00 AM
I think it was a consensus that WR was going to be addressed in the draft. No one thought it would be second round. We've done well taking WR in the 4th round or so. That's where everyone thought that position was going to be addressed.

we picked so LATE in these rounds I don't see the big deal.

feltdizz
06-12-2017, 11:32 AM

I think the Captain is right on this one.

How many years have fans screamed about playing bump and run vs Brady? Not sure if the reluctance is due to our personnel or just coaches being stubborn.

Shawn
06-12-2017, 12:07 PM
I think it was a consensus that WR was going to be addressed in the draft. No one thought it would be second round. We've done well taking WR in the 4th round or so. That's where everyone thought that position was going to be addressed. In my first set of mocks I had us draft WR with our second third round pick. That allowed us to grab OLB, S, DB with our first three picks. Once you take care of those three you can address some "luxury picks".

SteelerOfDeVille
06-12-2017, 02:19 PM
Granted I tweaked my mock 27 ways to Sunday - but, the vast majority of them had ILB, OLB as the picks (Zach Cunningham, Jordan Willis/Carl Lawson was my frequent flyer tandem). Those guys went much later than the expert mocks had them, but, you'll probably recall at least a few of us saying, "this will look like Tomlins first draft where he took Timmons and Woodley"...

RuthlessBurgher
06-12-2017, 02:31 PM
Granted I tweaked my mock 27 ways to Sunday - but, the vast majority of them had ILB, OLB as the picks (Zach Cunningham, Jordan Willis/Carl Lawson was my frequent flyer tandem). Those guys went much later than the expert mocks had them, but, you'll probably recall at least a few of us saying, "this will look like Tomlins first draft where he took Timmons and Woodley"...

Mine is still in my sig (and surprise, just like our MNFE picks, it's awfully similar to yours). I went with ILB Zach Cunningham in the first and OLB Jordan Willis in the second. I projected corners with our 3a and 4 picks. In real life, we drafted corners with our 3a and 5 picks.

feltdizz
06-12-2017, 02:34 PM

predicting a LB in the first is the safe pick IMO... lol.

RuthlessBurgher
06-12-2017, 02:37 PM
predicting a LB in the first is the safe pick IMO... lol.

Is using 4 out of your last 5 first round picks on a LB considered to be some sort of a trend now? ;)

feltdizz
06-12-2017, 02:41 PM
Is using 4 out of your last 5 first round picks on a LB considered to be some sort of a trend now? ;)

ha.. I just added my mock to my sig.

RuthlessBurgher
06-12-2017, 02:48 PM
ha.. I just added my mock to my sig.

Pfft...Dobbs will never last to the 5th round, you amateur you. :)

SteelerOfDeVille
06-12-2017, 03:52 PM
:p:p:p:p:p

feltdizz
06-12-2017, 04:05 PM

Josh Jones didn't last until the 3rd either... smh

wait, you had Conner in the 5th? How sway?

RuthlessBurgher
08-02-2017, 10:45 AM
Rogers: 'I never take it for granted'
Posted 4 hours ago

Teresa Varley
Steelers.com

It's hard work and believing in himself that helped Eli Rogers escape his background.

LATROBE, Pa. - It’s become a daily ritual for Eli Rogers.

Before he takes the field each day, he grabs the helmet sitting in his locker and puts it on, ready to go to work.

When practice ends, he goes to the sideline and grabs the helmet again, putting it on as part of the work day has come to a close.

The helmet, though, is different than what he is wearing when out there catching passes on the field. It’s not even close.
Rogers reported to training camp wearing a white construction hard hat, work jumpsuit and steel-toed boots. And every day since, that hard hat has been a staple.

“It just puts me in a mindset of who I am, which is a hard worker, coming here to work hard and represent the hard workers of the world,” said Rogers. “It’s about the steel workers, construction workers, electricians. It’s about guys giving us light and energy and the steel business because we are in Steelers Nation. I am not getting complacent. I am out here to work. I want to be radiant.”

Ben Roethlisberger didn’t call Rogers ‘radiant’ in an interview with Ike Taylor for NFL Network, but he did have glowing things to say about the third-year receiver.

“I’m excited,” said Roethlisberger. “Not a rookie last year, but first year playing and really did some good things, came on strong late in the year. I spent a lot of time in the offseason with him, him individually looking at film of how he can be better.

“I see so much growth in him and I’m excited about what he brings in the slot. Quickness, toughness, a guy that can open against linebackers with his speed and quickness and can use his size. I know that sounds silly with a smaller guy, but he’s got the strength to get open against smaller guys. I’m really excited to see the growth that he can bring to this team.”

Rogers’ goal is to prove him right and bring all of that to the offense on a regular basis. He had 48 receptions for 594 yards and three touchdowns last season, his first year playing after battling an injury his rookie year. He wants more this year.

“I offer the ability to go over the middle,” said Rogers. “Inside the hashes I am going to win every time. We have the best wide receiver in the world on the outside. We have other great receivers on the outside. Hopefully we get Martavis (Bryant) back soon. We have Justin Hunter, Darrius Heyward-Bey, Cobi Hamilton. We have lots of receivers outside. And with my ability, I think we can win every down.

“It’s very humbling to have that kind of talent as a group. It creates a great atmosphere for us to come out here and make each other better every day.”

Rogers believes the unit can be so strong first and foremost because he believes in himself. He wears a gold chain constantly with the word ‘Believe’ on it. And it just so happens that ‘Eli’ falls right in the middle of believe.

“I have a lot of belief in myself,” said Rogers. “It’s very important in life in general. Knowing my life story, where I come from, and what guys where I come from have to go through, you have to believe in yourself at all times. You have to believe whatever God has given you, you can do. That is why I wear the necklace because I believe in myself and God.”

Where Rogers came from isn’t a place you want to go visit. Sure, his hometown is listed as Miami, Florida. But it’s not the same Miami that tourists flock to so they can enjoy the beaches and beauty of it.

Rogers is from Liberty City, outside of Miami, and a place many try to escape rather than visit.

“Liberty City…it’s over the bridge. It’s not on South Beach,” said Rogers. “It’s never on television, only on the news.”

It’s a place where he and teammate Antonio Brown were lucky to get out of unscathed, but they are the exception rather than the rule.

“The chance to get out of there is slim to none,” said Rogers. “I was fortunate to get out. Coming from that area is really tough. All you see is violence, drugs...the worst of the worst. It’s tough to keep a positive mindset. To get out of it it’s tough. To have your own vision to get out is tough. It’s heavy. You are a kid trying to get out and succeed, and it’s tough to do it.”

The things that Rogers has seen are unimaginable to most. It makes you shudder.

“I have seen some of everything,” said Rogers. “A good friend of mine got killed. I went to the scene, and he was hanging over a gate, his face almost off. He was killed right there.

“I saw a lot. That is just one thing. There was a lot more. With the right guidance and mindset you can get out. I was blessed.”

It’s easy to understand why Rogers believes in himself when you hear his story, when you understand what he overcame. And you understand his work ethic, his mentality. He knows he is living a dream, a dream so many who came from Liberty City will never experience.

“It’s a blessing out here,” said Rogers. “I never take it for granted. I am blessed to be here. I am fortunate to make it here. God is gracious and amazing. I am blessed to be here.”

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Rogers-I-never-take-it-for-granted/cf937ee0-467b-4a52-8ae2-2122696975e5

Steel Maniac
08-02-2017, 11:15 AM
We need for Rogers and JJ to be those guys that allow Ben to can get the ball out of his hands quickly. If they are indeed that, we'll be in good shape.

SteelerOfDeVille
08-02-2017, 12:36 PM
We need for Rogers and JJ to be those guys that allow Ben to can get the ball out of his hands quickly. If they are indeed that, we'll be in good shape.
AB, Martavis, Eli, JuJu... with Hunter (or Coates) as a 5... that's sexy... almost doesn't matter if #6 is DHB, Ayers or Hamilton (though I'm rooting for Ayers' return skills to show up).