PDA

View Full Version : Could Justin Gilbert be coming to the Burg?

Iron City Inc.
09-03-2016, 01:49 PM
Steelers looking to make a trade with the Browns. That's a rare event. Lets hope if true price is not to high.

birtikidis
09-03-2016, 01:55 PM
Steelers looking to make a trade with the Browns. That's a rare event. Lets hope if true price is not to high.
It's official. Terms haven't been declared yet though

pfelix73
09-03-2016, 01:58 PM
Very interesting....

"The Cleveland Browns have traded former first-round cornerback Justin Gilbert to the Pittsburgh Steelers according to a report from Adam Schefter. The Oklahoma State graduate has 39 tackles and an interception returned for a touchdown."

RuthlessBurgher
09-03-2016, 02:00 PM
Ian Rapoport
Twitter › RapSheet
The #Browns traded former first-round CB Justin Gilbert to the #Steelers for a 6th rounder in 2018, source said.
3 mins ago - Twitter

birtikidis
09-03-2016, 02:01 PM
from what I can find We gave up a 2018 6th round pick for him

Iron City Inc.
09-03-2016, 02:03 PM
from what I can find We gave up a 2018 6th round pick for him

The price is right.

Mr.wizard
09-03-2016, 02:15 PM
I like it, let's get him up to speed.

phillyesq
09-03-2016, 02:29 PM
From what I remember that year, Colbert had Gilbert and Beckham really high on his board.

This will be a great test, both for Gilbert and Carnell Lake. I'd love for the Steelers to strike gold with this move - or even just find a solid starter. This is a very low-risk move. Hopefully it pans out, but if not, a 2018 6th isn't a huge price.

buccoray61
09-03-2016, 02:30 PM
A 6th rounder 2 years down the road for a corner who was the 8th overall pick in 2014 and doesn't turn 25 until November,not too shabby

winwithd
09-03-2016, 02:31 PM
I like it, let's get him up to speed.
Top 10 pick, phenomenal athlete, wasn't he also a returner in college. hopefully in a stable environment in a top class organization he can realize his potential. I like it too, for just a 6th rnd pick.:brownssuck:tt1:tt2

buccoray61
09-03-2016, 02:34 PM
Browns are sure cleaning house

Mr.wizard
09-03-2016, 02:42 PM
Browns are sure cleaning house

There was just to much optimism about the direction of the organization, they couldn't handle it.

squidkid
09-03-2016, 02:49 PM
awesome move

BradshawsHairdresser
09-03-2016, 04:30 PM
Can he cover the slot receiver?

RuthlessBurgher
09-03-2016, 04:59 PM
awesome move

Since Steeler fans automatically dub every Pittsburgh draft pick "the steal of the draft," it was about time that they added a consensus "bust of the draft" instead. ;)

SteelYinzer
09-03-2016, 05:00 PM
I can't imagine Gilbert is worse than Grant who does not belong on a football field. A 6th round pick in 2018 is a small price to pay to see if they can get anything out of a 1st round (supposed) talent. I have next to no hope though because this coaching staff just doesn't get it when it comes to drafting or developing corners. Someone, whether it's Gilbert, Golson or Burns, absolutely needs to step up and be even a marginally above average corner for us.

Iron City Inc.
09-03-2016, 05:24 PM
I can't imagine Gilbert is worse than Grant who does not belong on a football field. A 6th round pick in 2018 is a small price to pay to see if they can get anything out of a 1st round (supposed) talent. I have next to no hope though because this coaching staff just doesn't get it when it comes to drafting or developing corners. Someone, whether it's Gilbert, Golson or Burns, absolutely needs to step up and be even a marginally above average corner for us.
Blake , McCain ,Webb , Boyken , Allen, Fogg, Ventrone,Hawthorne all brought in but talent just wasn't there. Point is developing talent requires that talent exists. They could have invested higher picks on the back end so they paid the price for not investing better there that is true. Now they have some talent to mold lets give Lake n Butler n even MT a shot to raise that level of play on the back end.

Ernie
09-03-2016, 07:33 PM
Wow. wasn't this kid a top 10 pick? Hopefully he is just the product of a bad situation in Cleveland. Man this would be a steal if we hit on this one.

NorthCoast
09-03-2016, 09:29 PM
Since Steeler fans automatically dub every Pittsburgh draft pick "the steal of the draft," it was about time that they added a consensus "bust of the draft" instead. ;)

Word from browns is he has pretty bad attitude and worse work ethic. Don't hold your breathes..

pfelix73
09-03-2016, 10:06 PM
Word from browns is he has pretty bad attitude and worse work ethic. Don't hold your breathes..

That can all change in the right atmosphere. An atmosphere like Pittsburgh.

Rara
09-03-2016, 11:00 PM
I was at work while the trade went down and it being reported. I LOVE THIS TRADE, especially for what the Steelers gave up to get Gilbert. I remember reading that Colbert had wanted Gilbert that year but ended up going with Shazier (because of Gilbert being drafted eighth overall). Maybe he just went sour because of being in Cleveland made him develop the bad attitude and being late for meetings and practice?

I think he'll accelerate here with a new atmosphere. I think Deebo, Gay and Mitchell will straighten him up. How long before he gets on the field? Hopefully not as long as Boykin had to wait.

Starlifter
09-03-2016, 11:48 PM
I'm willing to withhold judgement about the character/potential of a player drafted by a turd of an organization that has changed head coaches and starting QB's as often as I change the TP in my bathroom.

I think being stuck on a team where you know you won't get paid, you won't win and you have little chance of even sniffing the playoffs likely sucks the life out of most.

let's see what happens when he gears up in an organization that is light years different than the stains.

Rara
09-04-2016, 12:16 AM
I'm willing to withhold judgement about the character/potential of a player drafted by a turd of an organization that has changed head coaches and starting QB's as often as I change the TP in my bathroom.

I think being stuck on a team where you know you won't get paid, you won't win and you have little chance of even sniffing the playoffs likely sucks the life out of most.

let's see what happens when he gears up in an organization that is light years different than the stains.

I completely agree with you, Star. Maybe he had a crappy attitude because of the team that drafted him, who knows. I just hope that he turns out to be a really good player for the Steelers.

Oviedo
09-04-2016, 12:22 AM
No downside to this move even for the most ardent Tomlin and Colbert haters

Steelerphile
09-04-2016, 03:35 AM
Shows you how little the Browns think of Gilbert that they would give him to a rival for a nominal pick, after two seasons. I don't think highly of Gilbert. He is a very good athlete and has the measurables, but I don't think he is physically or mentally tough. He is hesitant and unfocused. He reminds me a little of Curtis Brown. The Steelers finally gave up on him. If the Steelers can make Gilbert into a decent player, that would be a remarkable reclamation project. But I do think they have a good one in Artie Burns.

Shawn
09-04-2016, 07:50 AM
Well, we have been hearing many members here defending the Steelers for their lack of ability to develop secondary talent...stating lack of talent. IMO, Gilbert is the perfect test for this theory. He is a measurable guy who has all the athleticism in the world. I guess we will see if they can coach him up.

feltdizz
09-04-2016, 08:19 AM
the burg? where is the burg?

RuthlessBurgher
09-04-2016, 10:23 AM
The one thing that is worrisome is that he had a top notch CB to learn from in Joe Haden, and he did not take advantage of that opportunity while in Cleveland. There is no one here on Haden's level for him to learn from (of course, he had no one like Antonio Brown to challenge him in practice either...I believe that Josh Gordon was suspended during Gilbert's entire tenure with the Browns). Here, it's just wily Willie Gay and a bunch of young'uns to show him the ropes.

steelsnis
09-04-2016, 10:43 AM
The one thing that is worrisome is that he had a top notch CB to learn from in Joe Haden, and he did not take advantage of that opportunity while in Cleveland. There is no one here on Haden's level for him to learn from (of course, he had no one like Antonio Brown to challenge him in practice either...I believe that Josh Gordon was suspended during Gilbert's entire tenure with the Browns). Here, it's just wily Willie Gay and a bunch of young'uns to show him the ropes.

I think it's much more about team culture than it is about position-specific influence. He'll get a shot to fit in here, and guys like Heyward, AB and Ben will make sure he knows what it's all about. If he doesn't get it, so be it, but he should certainly have a better shot here than in a swirling cesspool like Cleveland.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
09-04-2016, 12:27 PM
I remember not wanting this guy his draft year and being happy that the Browns grabbed him instead of staying put and taking Sammy Watkins. The word at the time was that he doesn't like to tackle. That might go hand-in-hand with being a bad attitude guy.

Sometimes guys like that respond well to the new culture and winning attitude on a new team. Sometimes going from top prospect to guy on the discard pile shakes them up a bit. And then sometimes they remain the same douchebag that they always were.

Time will tell on Gilbert but despite not wanting him, I love the trade. The potential risk/reward value is through the roof. Worse case scenario you throw away a sixth in two years. Best case scenario is you found a starter at your weakest position, a starter who was once projected to be a great player. Simply being solid makes him a huge steal.

Ernie
09-04-2016, 12:54 PM
Just saw where the browns waived Pierre Desir also... maybe it's just a matter of cleaning house? I don't know what they are thinking.

BradshawsHairdresser
09-04-2016, 05:23 PM
I'm still wondering who the Steelers have who can cover the slot receiver, other than Willie Gay. I'm not sold on Davis being the answer there. And who knows when -- or if -- Golson will ever be ready to play.

BradshawsHairdresser
09-04-2016, 05:24 PM
Just saw where the browns waived Pierre Desir also... maybe it's just a matter of cleaning house? I don't know what they are thinking.

Maybe Hue wants DBs who aren't afraid to tackle ...

Mr.wizard
09-04-2016, 06:31 PM
Mark my words, Artie Burns is going to be a star.

RuthlessBurgher
09-04-2016, 07:07 PM
Mark my words, Artie Burns is going to be a star.

Not bloody likely this season, though...I think everyone realized that it would take some time, but the reward down the road could be worth the wait.

Mr.wizard
09-04-2016, 08:32 PM
Not bloody likely this season, though...I think everyone realized that it would take some time, but the reward down the road could be worth the wait.

I wouldn't be surprised if he is able to crack the starting lineup at some point in the season.

BradshawsHairdresser
09-04-2016, 11:19 PM
Steelers Better See Something in Justin Gilbert the Browns Didn't

Jeremy Fowler
ESPN Staff Writer

September 3, 2016

PITTSBURGH -- Perhaps Justin Gilbert uses this fresh start to reignite his once-promising career. But the Pittsburgh Steelers' low-risk trade for cornerback help should be met with skepticism, given how bad Gilbert's tenure in Cleveland really was.

I was in Cleveland for the 2014 season, and this is the line I heard often behind the scenes: Johnny's bad, but he's not as bad as Justin Gilbert.

The sentiment was that though Johnny Manziel was a problem as a rookie, he was considered more reliable when it came to punctuality than fellow rookie Gilbert, who eventually admitted to reporters he had a tendency to oversleep. Once veterans in the Browns' locker room started telling Gilbert to "grow up" through the media, his career in Cleveland was over before it started.

The fact the Browns traded Gilbert inside the AFC North shows how unimpressed they were with Gilbert's push to carve out a role in the Hue Jackson era.

And now he's a Steeler.

It's easy to say a former top 10 pick is worth a sixth-round flier. But this is where the Steelers better be sure Gilbert has a skill that translates to their defensive scheme. Based on two NFL seasons, Gilbert's 6-foot frame, long arms and athleticism can't offset his unproven coverage skills. Gilbert must shrug off what appears to be an aloof attitude toward professional football. It's not like Gilbert was playing behind stud corners in Cleveland. The Browns' pass defense was 22nd in the league last year, and Gilbert managed 50 snaps in that defense.

Either the Steelers will look really smart with this deal, or they will have traded late-round picks in back-to-back years without sufficient corner help to show for it. Brandon Boykin, acquired for a fifth-round pick last year, didn't play for most of the year, and though he was adequate in a late-season role, the team did not consider re-signing him.

With dozens of cornerbacks available via waivers this weekend -- including another former top-10 pick, Dee Milliner -- the Steelers might have found help without giving up a draft pick. It should be noted that waiver assignments are based on draft order, meaning the Steelers pick 25th. The good corners would likely be gone by then.

If the Steelers see something worthwhile in Gilbert, they've earned that trust with the fanbase.

I just don't see it.

Maybe he's a different guy in a stable organization.

At least he's not as bad as Johnny.

http://www.espn.com/blog/pittsburgh-steelers/post/_/id/20031/steelers-better-see-something-in-justin-gilbert-the-browns-didnt

BradshawsHairdresser
09-04-2016, 11:31 PM
Check out this excerpt from an article from last November:

While Manziel's fall from grace is grabbing the headlines, he's been a veritable angel inside the facility compared to his first-round counterpart and teammate, Justin Gilbert, who should be the bigger story.

The Browns barely knew who Gilbert was before they selected the cornerback with the eighth overall pick in the 2014 draft and their missteps in the jumbled mess of a process has resulted in quite possibly one of the biggest NFL draft busts of the decade.

Sources say key members of the organization — people who might’ve been able to red flag him — did not physically meet Gilbert until after he was drafted. And those that did file scouting reports on Gilbert’s work ethic extolling his passion for football were completely wrong on their detailed research. If you remember correctly, this was also during the offseason when Farmer mocked the pro day process by skipping nearly all of them (http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/article-1/Criticism-about-Ray-Farmer-Mike-Pettine-missing-pro-day-workouts-unwarranted/88aa2346-7a42-4b52-847e-937772a1603f). Some of his other methodologies were equally as unorthodox and led to the team hiring Farmer’s mentor, veteran NFL executive Bill Kuharich, 12 days after the 2014 draft.

The Browns being coy about their draft intentions is nothing new in the NFL. But what’s troubling about the matter is that Gilbert’s personality problems are apparent to anyone who's been around him for longer than a day. He's withdrawn and carries a distinct false sense of entitlement that shows itself when he acts downright aloof to how his negative behavior rubs people the wrong way.

Browns community and marketing staffers rarely bother asking him to participate in activities with fans — usually a must for recent draft picks.

Two prominent Browns defensive players recently read a transcript of Gilbert's graceless and unprofessional interview with reporters this fall about his promotion to kick returner and complained directly to me.

“He just doesn’t get what the NFL is about. At all,” said one veteran. “How could they miss this badly?” said another about the front office.

All NFL teams miss on draft picks, even the Patriots. The problem for the Browns? The first trait Pettine and Farmer look for in upcoming draft picks is whether or not they love football.

“Does this guy love what football does for him or does he truly love the game and is passionate about it?” Pettine told the team’s website at the NFL’s scouting combine in February. "That's something that you can really find out. You'd be surprised how much you can find out in a short period of time. That's the biggest reason why we're here.”

There might not be anybody in the NFL who cares less about football than Gilbert.

Gilbert’s healthy scratch against the Steelers on Nov. 15 was a result of a string of “piss poor” practices and inconsistent habits in the meeting room, where he clearly hasn’t been memorizing tweaks to the defensive playbook. Remember, this comes days after playing 23 relatively positive snaps against the Bengals on Thursday Night Football, where he could’ve finally escaped the bench.

Unlike Manziel, who loves football and abused the stardom that comes with it, Gilbert seems like he wants nothing to do with the sport. And while Manziel’s path of destruction has been aired out in public eye, Gilbert’s has played out behind the scenes. The clues were there from the beginning though.

He was a high school track star in Texas and loved playing wide receiver where he could score touchdowns. He also excelled as a kick returner at Oklahoma State, setting the Big 12 record for return touchdowns. Gilbert used his speed and little else to be an effective cornerback in college. The Browns became infatuated with his length and physical abilities, and not about who he was as a person. Gilbert even had a wildly inconsistent junior season in college that the Browns seemingly ignored. Cleveland thought that with the right coaching they could turn him into an Antonio Cromartie type who could play on an island.

At a celebratory dinner in downtown Cleveland shortly after the 2014 draft, a source said Farmer and Pettine were openly glowing about how Gilbert would quickly blossom into one of the elite cornerbacks in the NFL. The Browns thought they might have nabbed the steal of the draft.

In Pettine’s mentally taxing defensive scheme and in the macho world of the NFL, however, Gilbert’s speed and athleticism meant nothing. Soon, it became clear that Cleveland put a premium on drafting a position on the field instead of a football player. Players lacking physical attributes like Jim Leonhard thrived in Pettine’s scheme because they were cerebral. Gilbert just doesn’t get joy out of breaking down the Xs and Os. Flashy plays get him going, not the nitty-gritty details that define professional football.

To give the embattled defensive coaching staff credit, they haven’t complained about Gilbert nearly as much as they should have. They took him on as a project and had genuine hopes they could turn him around like the Texans did with Kareem Jackson, like the Ravens did with Jimmy Smith. And though Johnson Bademosi has struggled, the coaches aren't going to throw Gilbert out there instead simply because he makes more money. They've stayed true to their philosophy of competition and rewarding veterans who do the right things.

Gilbert is on an island in a way, just not the way the organization wanted. While other Browns players generally make an effort to get to know each other in the locker room and cafeteria, Gilbert is usually by himself, sometimes even leaving the facility during the free hour period before practice. Team good guy Joe Haden attempted to mentor Gilbert this offseason by working out with him in Miami, but Gilbert continued to push away veterans looking to help guide him in Cleveland. He’s isolated himself from the team.

Healthy scratches are the norm for Gilbert. The team realized they had reached the point of no return during a game in the middle of last season. The cornerback missed the mandatory team bus at 10:30 a.m. and had to be frantically located by the Browns security team. Gilbert showed up shortly after noon. One teammate nearly had to be restrained, his anger bubbling as Gilbert stood there smiling, eating candy.

Nine months later, in joint training camp practices against the Bills that featured 180 total players, nobody was worse than Justin Gilbert. When he aggravated a hip flexor, teammates privately told me they were thankful — his play was embarrassing all of them. In two short afternoons he was exposed for what he is: an athletic specimen, not an NFL cornerback.

http://www.clevescene.com/scene-and-heard/archives/2015/11/30/disastrous-cleveland-browns-season-was-set-up-to-fail-from-the-start

fordfixer
09-04-2016, 11:53 PM
Not exactly a glowing report hopefully the Steelers can do something with him

Steelwolf
09-05-2016, 12:28 AM
The steelers can't afford to waste time on busts, they have a hard time grooming their own in the secondary department lol....but let's hope he works out!

Oviedo
09-05-2016, 06:17 AM
This may be where we see what Carnell Lake is made of and what kind of coach he is. IMO he has earned a big question mark the past couple of years

passhappy
09-05-2016, 08:17 AM
very big question mark

Slapstick
09-05-2016, 08:46 AM
Low risk, high reward potential. For a 6th round pick two years from now. Even if he doesn't work out, I just don't see the problem with this trade...

SteelCrazy
09-05-2016, 05:35 PM
CB Gilbert 'grateful' for trade to Steelers

PITTSBURGH -- After his first practice with the Pittsburgh Steelers, cornerback Justin Gilbert sounded like a guy relieved to reset his turbulent career.

The Cleveland Browns on Saturday traded Gilbert, the No. 8 overall pick in 2014, to corner-needy Pittsburgh in exchange for a sixth-round pick in 2018.

"Words can't even explain how excited I am," Gilbert said Monday. "I'm grateful."

Gilbert hopes to turn that gratitude into a more stable NFL career. Gilbert fell out of favor in Cleveland and managed 39 tackles in two seasons. He struggled with punctuality as a rookie, prompting Browns safety Donte Whitner to say publicly Gilbert needed to "grow up."

Two seasons later, Gilbert is using similar language.

"Just growing up off the field," Gilbert said, regarding how he plans to improve his professionalism in Pittsburgh. "It's a lot of things that can distract you when you come in fresh out of college. After a year in the league, not getting done what I wanted to get done the first season, it changed me and made me a new man, for sure."

Gilbert declined specifics about those distractions, but overall he attributed his struggles in Cleveland to "lack of consistency" and now knows he has to "prepare like a pro" every week.

Gilbert impressed teammates with his footwork in a practice drill Monday, but Gilbert was always a fluid athlete. To advance his career, he'll have to show he can thrive in Pittsburgh's winning culture.

Gilbert considers Pittsburgh's locker room "a little more laid back" than Cleveland's. Gilbert is under contract for the next two seasons at salaries of $786,682 and $970,023. He is due a roster bonus of $800,000 this year and $1.2 million next year.

"Everybody knows what this team is capable of," Gilbert said. "On the practice field, it was a whole different level. I'm excited for that every day. I just want to finish out the year here and make it to the playoffs and get to the Super Bowl. ... If I'm playing good, I'll be out there."

www.espn.com

fordfixer
09-05-2016, 06:48 PM
Well it sounds as if he is saying the right things

Ernie
09-05-2016, 07:20 PM
Maybe Hue wants DBs who aren't afraid to tackle ...

Could be. I wouldn't know one way or another. I don't watch the Browns, other than when they play us.

K Train
09-06-2016, 09:57 AM
That is a great trade. While he has been pretty bad its been maturity thats hes struggled with the most. I had him rated quite high in the draft, and while that hasnt come to fruition I think he can still be a good player for us.

Jooser
09-06-2016, 03:53 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/09/06/mike-tomlin-on-justin-gilbert-we-dont-care-what-happened-in-cleveland/

Mike Tomlin on Justin Gilbert: We don’t care what happened in Cleveland

Posted by Josh Alper on September 6, 2016, 2:36 PM EDT

The Steelers traded a 2018 sixth-round pick for cornerback Justin Gilbert over the weekend and the price they had to pay for Gilbert illustrated how far Gilbert’s stock has fallen over his first two NFL seasons.

Gilbert was the eighth overall pick of the 2014 draft, but he had on-field and off-field issues that kept him from living up to the potential that caused him to come off the board as early as he did. On Tuesday, Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said that the issues Gilbert had with the Browns were of less importance to him than the fact that “we had a great deal of respect for” Gilbert when he was entering the league.

“We don’t care what happened in Cleveland, to be quite honest with you,” Tomlin said, via the team’s website. “We’re not asking a bunch of questions in that regard. We simply acquired a young cornerback that another team didn’t want or need, and we’re putting him in our environment and starting the process of going to work on a day-to-day basis and see where that leads us. I know he’s excited about being here. He had a good day of work [Monday], but we’ll live it day-by-day and we’ll see if his story can become a similar one to Ross Cockrell’s, for example.”

Cockrell was a 2014 fourth-round pick of the Bills who got released last summer and then signed with the Steelers. He was a useful member of their secondary last season and is ticketed for a big role again this year. As Tomlin said, Gilbert’s role is yet to be determined but the makeup of the cornerback group will give him a chance to make a more positive impression in Pittsburgh.

squidkid
09-06-2016, 04:45 PM
he cant turn out any worse than any of our own drafted DB bums

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
09-09-2016, 11:21 AM
Could be. I wouldn't know one way or another. I don't watch the Browns, other than when they play us.

Even if you did, the only evaluation you could have on Gilbert is how he looks standing on the sidelines. It is called the Duce Staley scale.

RuthlessBurgher
09-09-2016, 01:12 PM
Even if you did, the only evaluation you could have on Gilbert is how he looks standing on the sidelines. It is called the Duce Staley scale.

No one rocks a grey sweatsuit the way Duce once did...

buccoray61
09-09-2016, 01:39 PM
http://www.steelers.com/news/labriola-on/article-1/Labriola-on-trading-for-Justin-Gilbert/580f9c7e-b099-4c35-b530-e32b434bde5e

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
09-09-2016, 01:39 PM
No one rocks a grey sweatsuit the way Duce once did...

He is the one that all future non-participants are compared to.

Ernie
09-24-2016, 07:15 AM
Anybody see Gilbert on the field yet? Was curious to know how he was factoring in to the rotation.

Oviedo
09-24-2016, 09:09 AM
Anybody see Gilbert on the field yet? Was curious to know how he was factoring in to the rotation.

I guess he is on the "Boykin program"

Maybe we see him about week 10

SanAntonioSteelerFan
09-24-2016, 09:24 AM
I guess he is on the "Boykin program"

Maybe we see him about week 10

From what I've read, the coaches didn't trust Boykin, and only put him on the field because they had to. I've got to believe that it's different with Gilbert, and he's only on the bench until he figures out the scheme.

Slapstick
09-24-2016, 10:34 AM
According to Footballoutsiders, Gilbert played zero snaps in week one and 7 special teams snaps in week two...perhaps if he had been in training camp with the team, he could have played earlier...

But, considering his reputation in Cleveland and the low level of investment that it took to bring him here, I can see why the Steelers are being cautious...it would be better to put him in a position to succeed rather than to fail...

Ross Cockrell played in zero defensive snaps in game 1 last year, but played in 39 defensive snaps week 2...circumstances were different though: Week 1 last year, our pass D got chewed up by Brady and Gronk and there was a lot of confusion in the defensive secondary...this year, our defense is looking much better so far...

The Man of Steel
09-24-2016, 12:59 PM
On paper our secondary looks like it has a promising future with 2 young first round corners and a second round safety as well as a corner (Golson) but I'm thinking at least 2 of 4 aren't ever gonna pan out.

Shoe
09-24-2016, 03:38 PM
On paper our secondary looks like it has a promising future with 2 young first round corners and a second round safety as well as a corner (Golson) but I'm thinking at least 2 of 4 aren't ever gonna pan out.

Well at this point, Carnell can't complain with what he has to work with.

It's nice to hear that Gilbert is active and getting in games, if only on ST. BTW, good comparison to Cockrell, Slapstick! Its a similar circumstance, with the only difference that Gilbert is a guy with way more ability.

Coach these guys up, Carnell!

Slapstick
09-24-2016, 05:20 PM
Well at this point, Carnell can't complain with what he has to work with.

It's nice to hear that Gilbert is active and getting in games, if only on ST. BTW, good comparison to Cockrell, Slapstick! Its a similar circumstance, with the only difference that Gilbert is a guy with way more ability.

Coach these guys up, Carnell!

Thanks! I also noticed the similar circumstances...in addition, the fact that Butler has been the DC for the last two seasons also factor into the comparison, IMO...schematic similarities to LeBeau, but also some differences...

SanAntonioSteelerFan
11-16-2016, 10:43 AM
I haven't heard his name much ... How much is he getting on the field?

NorthCoast
11-16-2016, 01:54 PM
I haven't heard his name much ... How much is he getting on the field?

pretty much special teams only, and even then not many times. .... shades of Boykin all over again... Tomlin's doghouse is a deep, dark place very hard to get out of...

feltdizz
11-16-2016, 02:08 PM
pretty much special teams only, and even then not many times. .... shades of Boykin all over again... Tomlin's doghouse is a deep, dark place very hard to get out of...

and we got him from the Browns..

so maybe he's a bust?

RuthlessBurgher
11-16-2016, 02:17 PM
and we got him from the Browns..

so maybe he's a bust?

As a former 8th overall pick in 2014 who is already on his second team and just playing special teams, yeah, that's pretty much the definition of a bust.

But we also signed former 7th overall pick Darrius Heyward-Bey primarily to play special teams, and he managed to develop from a bust to a productive member of our team, so there is still hope out there.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
11-17-2016, 10:42 AM
We went out and signed him just a little while ago, and he can't get on the field? Why'd we sign him then? It's not like the FO didn't have the ability to assess him before that ...

feltdizz
11-17-2016, 10:48 AM
As a former 8th overall pick in 2014 who is already on his second team and just playing special teams, yeah, that's pretty much the definition of a bust.

But we also signed former 7th overall pick Darrius Heyward-Bey primarily to play special teams, and he managed to develop from a bust to a productive member of our team, so there is still hope out there.

there is hope..

but we all know DHB was over drafted by Al Davis. No one thought he deserved to be drafted that high.

Shawn
11-18-2016, 10:28 AM
there is hope..

but we all know DHB was over drafted by Al Davis. No one thought he deserved to be drafted that high. The thing though with Justin Gilbert is he is a natural, fluid and very fast DB. The guy has all the tools to be a great DB in this league. People close to the team talk about him being the most athletic guy in the secondary. DHB was just fast, had questionable hands, and his route running was suspect at best.

So, the question remains why isn't Gilbert a terrific DB? Lazy? Mental? Who knows but I surely believe he was worth the risk.

RuthlessBurgher
11-18-2016, 11:11 AM
The thing though with Justin Gilbert is he is a natural, fluid and very fast DB. The guy has all the tools to be a great DB in this league. People close to the team talk about him being the most athletic guy in the secondary. DHB was just fast, had questionable hands, and his route running was suspect at best.

So, the question remains why isn't Gilbert a terrific DB? Lazy? Mental? Who knows but I surely believe he was worth the risk.

Well, he was certainly undisciplined early on in his NFL career, sleeping through meetings and such, but at least he has seemed to take some responsibility for that now by setting something like a dozen or so alarm clocks to prevent such oversleeping issues in the present and future. So, yeah, still hope for the kid.

Shawn
11-18-2016, 11:18 AM
Well, he was certainly undisciplined early on in his NFL career, sleeping through meetings and such, but at least he has seemed to take some responsibility for that now by setting something like a dozen or so alarm clocks to prevent such oversleeping issues in the present and future. So, yeah, still hope for the kid. I believe so. I would assume he has been undisciplined with his learning, technique and what not. I also believe the Steelers are trying to avoid the mistake the Browns made with him. He needs time to learn before he plays. DB confidence is a shaky thing and it may take awhile to rebuild what the Browns broke.

NorthCoast
11-18-2016, 02:33 PM
Well, he was certainly undisciplined early on in his NFL career, sleeping through meetings and such, but at least he has seemed to take some responsibility for that now by setting something like a dozen or so alarm clocks to prevent such oversleeping issues in the present and future. So, yeah, still hope for the kid.

I agree. It could be the case that the Steelers are taking their time in correcting some very bad habits picked up from the Contagion on the shores of Lake Erie.

Or the mental part is just taking a lot longer to turn on? Seems to me that it took Townsend and Taylor several years before becoming what they were. Gilbert could be the next Ike in hiding...

RuthlessBurgher
11-18-2016, 02:43 PM
Gilbert could be the next Ike in hiding...

Gilbert's hands take umbrage with that comment. ;)

SanAntonioSteelerFan
11-18-2016, 07:20 PM
So is the general consensus that he is worse now still than the guys we suit up every Sunday?

That seems almost crazy unbelievable!

Or ... someone mentioned he was in Tomlin's dog-house. I did a quick google about that, and couldn't find anything. Anyone know anything about that?

RuthlessBurgher
11-18-2016, 11:22 PM
So is the general consensus that he is worse now still than the guys we suit up every Sunday?

That seems almost crazy unbelievable!

Or ... someone mentioned he was in Tomlin's dog-house. I did a quick google about that, and couldn't find anything. Anyone know anything about that?

I just think that when you are with a team throughout training camp, you can learn the offense or defense, because more of it is installed each day. It's much tougher for a guy added after camp, because the focus of each practice is preparing for that week's opponent, not installing any more offensive or defensive plays. Gilbert was added after camp was over, when installation was complete, and he never got the benefit of those Latrobe practices that help you to integrate yourself into the defense.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
11-19-2016, 12:19 AM
Going on 2-1/2 to three months since he was signed if I got that right. Man, that is one case of deferred gratification!!

Steelers did their due diligence from what I've read, so at least there's not likely to be surprise "character" issues.

Thx -

Shoe
11-19-2016, 12:26 PM

That's a great point.
I think Heyward-Bey has done a great job of reinventing himself, to carve out a nice career in the league. With Gilbert, I wish he adopts a similar humble attitude... turn himself into a similar gunner. (How great would it be to have two Heyward-Beys running down special teams!) Gilbert needs to humble himself, carve a little niche, and build off that with the team. How hard can it be, for a guy that fast, to make his mark covering kicks?