PDA

View Full Version : Steelers claim Zach Mettenberger (QB)

SteelYinzer
08-31-2016, 04:38 PM
Easily an upgrade over Jones imho

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/08/steelers-claim-qb-zach-mettenberger/

phillyesq
08-31-2016, 04:57 PM
He's certainly an upgrade over Bryn Renner. He's obviously far behind Jones in terms of knowledge of the system, but he gives them a capable third string QB.

Slapstick
08-31-2016, 04:59 PM
If he is able to learn enough, he may give the Steelers a reason to watch Landry go to another team after this season...

The Man of Steel
08-31-2016, 05:16 PM
I still find this amusing.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/10/30/nate-washington-mettenberger-has-better-understanding-of-nfl-than-roethlisberger-did/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/10/30/nate-washington-mettenberger-has-better-understanding-of-nfl-than-roethlisberger-did/)

birtikidis
08-31-2016, 05:28 PM
I still find this amusing.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/10/30/nate-washington-mettenberger-has-better-understanding-of-nfl-than-roethlisberger-did/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/10/30/nate-washington-mettenberger-has-better-understanding-of-nfl-than-roethlisberger-did/)
My favorite part of that article is the guy who commented that he was at the game in Miami "in the rain" and how Ben only threw 8 passes. It was a friggin hurricane lol. Btw, I do think that ZM knew more when it came to pro style offenses coming out of Penn State than Ben did coming out of Miami. No comparison talent wise, but from a familiarity aspect I agree with Nate.

BradshawsHairdresser
08-31-2016, 05:31 PM
Who did they cut to add him?

squidkid
08-31-2016, 05:35 PM
ben, jones and mettenberg.

Mr.wizard
08-31-2016, 05:48 PM
My favorite part of that article is the guy who commented that he was at the game in Miami "in the rain" and how Ben only threw 8 passes. It was a friggin hurricane lol. Btw, I do think that ZM knew more when it came to pro style offenses coming out of Penn State than Ben did coming out of Miami. No comparison talent wise, but from a familiarity aspect I agree with Nate.

I thought Mettenberger was from LSU?

SteelSpain
08-31-2016, 05:50 PM
Who did they cut to add him?

Bruce Gradkowski was placed on the team’s Reserve/Injured List.

squidkid
08-31-2016, 05:56 PM
Bruce Gradkowski was gently placed on the team’s Reserve/Injured List.

fixed it for you

Shawn
08-31-2016, 06:00 PM
I was just thinking when I heard he was still available that we should grab him. Mettenberger has much upside and I thought he did reasonably well with very poor weapons around him. This is a guy who can be groomed into a borderline starter/top tier back up.

SteelSpain
08-31-2016, 06:07 PM
fixed it for you

:lol: :tt2

Ghost
08-31-2016, 06:09 PM
While I know the Steelers showed some interest in ZM out of college; let's add some realism to the discussion: In 2015 he started 10 games and was 0-10, more INTs than TDs, and just got cut from the Bolts. While there's a chance a change of scenery (his third) will help; it's more likely Jones is a better option (and I think Jones has been less than NFL caliber to date).

For now, this is just kicking the tires on what's been a lemon so far.

Iron City Inc.
08-31-2016, 06:27 PM
While I know the Steelers showed some interest in ZM out of college; let's add some realism to the discussion: In 2015 he started 10 games and was 0-10, more INTs than TDs, and just got cut from the Bolts. While there's a chance a change of scenery (his third) will help; it's more likely Jones is a better option (and I think Jones has been less than NFL caliber to date).

Got to agree it's an upgrade on Renner nothing more but that is fine. Price is right too so why not.

squidkid
08-31-2016, 06:38 PM

we are screwed regardless which bum steps inif ben goes down. maybe this is to see if mett can replace jones next year as backup

birtikidis
08-31-2016, 07:10 PM
I thought Mettenberger was from LSU?

You're right. Sorry I'm beat, roof sprung a leak at 5am this morning and we are in the middle of a tropical storm. Almost ten inches of rain have me frazzled

bostonsteeler
08-31-2016, 08:30 PM
we are screwed regardless which bum steps inif ben goes down. maybe this is to see if mett can replace jones next year as backup

True dat. As a matter of fact, Jones and Mettenberger have nearly identical QB ratings and TD-int ratios.

Shawn
08-31-2016, 09:36 PM

For now, this is just kicking the tires on what's been a lemon so far. I hear what you are saying. But, as a rookie he had a decent year. He had no offensive line or WRs. He still had a pass rating in the 80s for the Titans. He was basically thrown to the wolves. This is a guy with all the tools and was a competent game manager as a rookie QB for a very bad team. I think this is more than just kicking the tires.

Ghost
08-31-2016, 10:39 PM
I hear what you are saying. But, as a rookie he had a decent year. He had no offensive line or WRs. He still had a pass rating in the 80s for the Titans. He was basically thrown to the wolves. This is a guy with all the tools and was a competent game manager as a rookie QB for a very bad team. I think this is more than just kicking the tires.

Hope you are right bud. I'd love to have him work out way beyond expectations. And as Iron City said, the price is certainly right. I think it was a great pick up at this time based on needs and not costing the team anything.

NJ-STEELER
08-31-2016, 11:45 PM
I hear what you are saying. But, as a rookie he had a decent year. He had no offensive line or WRs. He still had a pass rating in the 80s for the Titans. He was basically thrown to the wolves. This is a guy with all the tools and was a competent game manager as a rookie QB for a very bad team. I think this is more than just kicking the tires.

this here.
One played for an 0-16 Titans team. And the other with AB, Bryant, bell, etc etc

Shawn
09-01-2016, 07:28 AM
this here.
One played for an 0-16 Titans team. And the other with AB, Bryant, bell, etc etc
With an OL and weapons? Yeah I think he could succeed here. By next season he will push for #2 hard.

Oviedo
09-01-2016, 09:04 AM
With an OL and weapons? Yeah I think he could succeed here. By next season he will push for #2 hard.

I tend to agree, but good QBs don't bounce around this league. Understand he may not have had the supporting cast in Tennessee plus he had Whisenhunt to hold him back. However, what was the issue in San Diego? Why was he released from a team that preferred a star (sarcasm) like rookie Mike Bercovici over Mettenberger as the #3

phillyesq
09-01-2016, 12:28 PM
I tend to agree, but good QBs don't bounce around this league. Understand he may not have had the supporting cast in Tennessee plus he had Whisenhunt to hold him back. However, what was the issue in San Diego? Why was he released from a team that preferred a star (sarcasm) like rookie Mike Bercovici over Mettenberger as the #3

What an absolutely foolish statement. Whisenhunt is very well regarded as a strong OC. He's not a good head coach, but he's a good offensive coordinator.

RuthlessBurgher
09-01-2016, 02:22 PM
Wasn't Whisenhunt his coach in both Tennessee and San Diego?

BradshawsHairdresser
09-01-2016, 03:07 PM
Wasn't Whisenhunt his coach in both Tennessee and San Diego?

Yep. Whiz was his HC in Tennessee, until Whiz got fired last season...then, Whiz was his OC in San Diego this summer. It's likely that Mettenberger wouldn't have even have had an opportunity with the Chargers, if not for Whiz.

The fact that the Chargers jettisoned Mettenberger for Bercovici concerns me somewhat. But if you look at who the Steelers had at third-string (Renner?), it sure looks as though Mettenberger would be an upgrade there.

Shawn
09-01-2016, 04:25 PM
I tend to agree, but good QBs don't bounce around this league. Understand he may not have had the supporting cast in Tennessee plus he had Whisenhunt to hold him back. However, what was the issue in San Diego? Why was he released from a team that preferred a star (sarcasm) like rookie Mike Bercovici over Mettenberger as the #3 Not sure why in San Diego with more weapons he actually did worse. I will say Mettenberger has elite size and arm strength. The dude has a cannon and is willing to stay in the pocket and take a hit. From what I remember though he struggles with mechanics and decision making. I think most of his struggles can be corrected by a QB coach willing to invest some time into him.

Oviedo
09-01-2016, 05:04 PM
What an absolutely foolish statement. Whisenhunt is very well regarded as a strong OC. He's not a good head coach, but he's a good offensive coordinator.

How quickly you forget the issues and strained relationship Ben had with Whisenhunt. Good OC...really? Where has he excelled doing that? Both Arians and Haley are major upgrades over a Whisenhunt run offense.

feltdizz
09-01-2016, 06:53 PM
lmao.. Mettenburger isn't that good. He may have a chance to push Jones but I doubt it.

Rara
09-01-2016, 08:09 PM
Mettenberger getting a chance tonight? Can't find a link to stream it live without viruses or trouble.

Shoe
09-02-2016, 09:42 AM

Exactly right.
I was a little high on the kid for a second when he came out too, but his record (so far) speaks for itself. I expected reactions from fans to be like this... but instead, everyone seems to love the pick.

Does he have a higher upside than Landry? Maybe. No way I would say he's the guy I want in the game ahead of Landry at this point. At best, this guy is going to go on to Steelers.com shop and invest in a black & gold visor, go to Staples back to school sale and pick up a clipboard, and collect a easy paycheck. Next training camp is when he becomes a viable option.

K Train
09-02-2016, 10:23 AM
I liked him quite a bit, and so did they from what i remember...unfortunately i think he might just suck now

I thought he may have gone as high as 33 to the texans at the top of the second round....what do i know