PDA

View Full Version : Interesting names among the early cuts

RuthlessBurgher
08-29-2016, 10:39 AM
Cleveland cut OLB Paul Kruger. He was a starter for them for the last 3 seasons. He only had 2.5 sacks last year (and you should expect more from that from a guy you signed to a $40 million deal over 5 years), but he had 11 sacks the year before that, and had 9 sacks as a part time pass rusher in his last season in Baltimore. He's entering his 8th NFL season and is now 30 years old, but maybe he'll want to continue to stay in this division after playing for 2 out of the 4 AFC North teams already...if he is willing to come on the cheap, of course.

Tennessee cut CB/FS Blidi Wreh-Wilson. A 26 year old former 3rd round pick entering his 4th NFL season with 34 games played and 14 starts. He has 14 passes defensed plus an INT and a forced fumble. We seem to like young, versatile defensive backs who can play both corner as well as safety. And he has experience in Dick LeBeau's system, which shouldn't be too different from Keith Butler's system.

BradshawsHairdresser
08-29-2016, 11:20 AM
Read on another site that the Steelers are showing interest in RB Karlos Williams (younger brother of Vince Williams), who was recently dumped by the Bills. He had a good rookie showing last season, but came in 25 pounds overweight this summer, and got a 4-game drug suspension to boot.

Karlos has some talent, no doubt, but it's hard for me to believe the Steelers would add another player with drug/discipline issues to their offense. What's next? Swing a deal for Josh Gordon?

RuthlessBurgher
08-29-2016, 11:27 AM
Other vets recently cut: NT Terrence Knighton (Pot Roast) and OG Geoff Schwartz.

squidkid
08-29-2016, 04:23 PM
[QUOTE=BradshawsHairdresser;673516]Read on another site that the Steelers are showing interest in RB Karlos Williams (younger brother of Vince Williams), who was recently dumped by the Bills. He had a good rookie showing last season, but came in 25 pounds overweight this summer, and got a 4-game drug suspension to boot.

Karlos has some talent, no doubt, but it's hard for me to believe the Steelers would add another player with drug/discipline issues to their offense. What's next? Swing a deal for Josh Gordon?[/QUOTE

maybe we can ask the league to stagger all our dope heads suspensions. bell first 4, karlos next 4, sign gordon first 4 etc etc etc............instead of money ball we could call it doper ball

SteelerOfDeVille
08-29-2016, 04:51 PM
Read on another site that the Steelers are showing interest in RB Karlos Williams (younger brother of Vince Williams), who was recently dumped by the Bills. He had a good rookie showing last season, but came in 25 pounds overweight this summer, and got a 4-game drug suspension to boot.

Karlos has some talent, no doubt, but it's hard for me to believe the Steelers would add another player with drug/discipline issues to their offense. What's next? Swing a deal for Josh Gordon?
might be good for him to be around his older, wiser brother - sign him after the second game (knowing there would only be one more for Bell)

phillyesq
08-29-2016, 05:04 PM
Other vets recently cut: NT Terrence Knighton (Pot Roast) and OG Geoff Schwartz.

There would have been a time when I'd be all over Pot Roast, but I'm pretty comfortable with Hargrave and McCullers.

Schwartz was an offseason visitor and apparently has some limited ability to play RT. I know that the Steelers have been trying to develop Hubbard into a Trai Essex / Kelvin Beachum super--sub type, but I've never been impressed with him. From what I've seen, he can line up and play poorly at any position.

If Schwartz is healthy, I'd prefer him as an emergency tackle over Hubbard.

BradshawsHairdresser
08-29-2016, 07:33 PM
I know that the Steelers have been trying to develop Hubbard into a Trai Essex / Kelvin Beachum super--sub type, but I've never been impressed with him. From what I've seen, he can line up and play poorly at any position.

:lol::lol::lol:
Seems as though every year, they keep an O-lineman like that on as a backup.

Rara
08-29-2016, 08:29 PM
I wouldn't mind at all getting Karlos Williams...after his suspension, hoping he'll cut weight then..but the real question is..Is he really wanting to be the third stringer? Probably not...but would be hell of an upgrade behind Bell and DeAngelo.

Kruger's release baffles me...but then again, if you can't cut it with the Browns...you might as well look a new occupation.

Wreh-Wilson intrigues me...but so does Brandon Browner, that was recently cut from Seattle. If the Steelers want to sign a corner...get one of these two instead of Keenan Lewis. The only thing Lewis has on these two mentioned is familiarity of Steelers' defense.

I hope the Steelers are looking for another quarterback. Just one decent game alone shouldn't merit Jones to be the permanent backup to Roethlisberger.

RuthlessBurgher
08-29-2016, 09:19 PM
Brandon Browner is D-U-N...done. He makes Antwan Blake look like Champ Bailey.

phillyesq
08-30-2016, 08:17 AM
I wouldn't mind at all getting Karlos Williams...after his suspension, hoping he'll cut weight then..but the real question is..Is he really wanting to be the third stringer? Probably not...but would be hell of an upgrade behind Bell and DeAngelo.

DeAngelo is in the last year of his deal. Williams would be well poised to be the prime backup next year or even a starter, depending on whether Bell is extended. And I'd have to think that playing with your brother would be appealing.

squidkid
08-30-2016, 11:01 AM
DeAngelo is in the last year of his deal. Williams would be well poised to be the prime backup next year or even a starter, depending on whether Bell is extended. And I'd have to think that playing with your brother would be appealing.

exactly
cheap, low risk/high reward insurance at rb either backup or starter

Oviedo
08-30-2016, 11:19 AM

Karlos COULD do that IF he would stay off drugs and stay in shape

SteelerOfDeVille
08-30-2016, 02:06 PM
imagine all the smoke in the RB room if him and LeVeon are there together...

I'd like to submit the first nickname for the tandem... Cheech and Chong. :p

BradshawsHairdresser
08-30-2016, 02:21 PM
QB Zach Mettenberger (formerly of the Titans) was cut by the Chargers. I remember last year, several on this board were pining for the Steelers to make a move for him.

phillyesq
08-30-2016, 03:37 PM
QB Zach Mettenberger (formerly of the Titans) was cut by the Chargers. I remember last year, several on this board were pining for the Steelers to make a move for him.

I'm all for it. The Steelers like 3 QBs and were interested in Mettenberger before. He'd have to be an upgrade over Bryn Renner.

phillyesq
08-30-2016, 03:38 PM

And that is obviously not a given. But you'd hope being in the locker room with his older brother would help. And there is zero risk associate with picking him up.

pittpete
08-30-2016, 03:42 PM

Bam Morris might come out of retirement for this...LOL:o

BradshawsHairdresser
08-30-2016, 04:42 PM
Bam Morris might come out of retirement for this...LOL:o

Nah...but he might want to be the Steelers' team dealer...probably make more money...

fordfixer
08-30-2016, 07:14 PM

Or Puff and Drag

Rara
08-30-2016, 08:18 PM

I'm again on that bandwagon, I hope the Steelers finally sign Mettenberger.

Rara
08-30-2016, 08:26 PM
Not sure how bad the injury is but...why not sign Antone Exum? Still young and would have won the strong safety spot if he was healthy. I'd like to see him at corner..IF the injury isn't too severe.

B&GinNC
08-30-2016, 08:41 PM
might be good for him to be around his older, wiser brother - sign him after the second game (knowing there would only be one more for Bell)

They had a relationship kind of like this at Florida State... Vince helped Karlos keep his head on straight.

SteelerOfDeVille
08-31-2016, 12:01 PM
Or Puff and Drag
Karlos shows up: I'm here and I'm ready to learn so much from the master. Where's Whiz?
Tomlin: he hasn't coached here in a decade - what gives?
Karlos: No... khalifa

RuthlessBurgher
08-31-2016, 10:56 PM
By Zac Jackson
August 31, 2016, 7:46 PM EDT
Report: Karlos Williams works out for Steelers

Free agent running back Karlos Williams recently worked out for the Steelers, ESPN’s Adam Schefter reported.

Williams was cut by the Bills earlier this summer. He had a difficult summer during which he gained weight and was suspended for the season’s first four games for violating the league’s substance abuse policy.

A fifth-round pick of the Bills in 2015, Williams ran for 517 yards and seven touchdowns last season in 11 games. He worked out for the Jets last weekend.

Steelers star running back is Le’Veon Bell suspended for the first three games of the season. The team looking at Williams, who’s also suspended during that time, was probably about getting a feel for what kind of shape he’s in and having a backup plan in place in case DeAngelo Williams or Fitzgerald Toussaint suffer an injury.