PDA

View Full Version : The Most Evolved QB

Slapstick
08-26-2016, 05:51 AM
http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/08/23/nfl-pittsburgh-steelers-ben-roethlisberger-most-evolved-quarterback

Steelerphile
08-26-2016, 01:27 PM
This is what I mean about Big Ben being the catalyst for a prolific offense and, the lack of Martavis Bryant will not necessarily impede that. The Patriots always seem to have a prolific offense, mainly because they have Brady who can make a collection of average talents at WR, by NFL talents, look good, and they have the coaching and system which maximizes their talents.

There used to be a gap between Brady's ability to read and dissect coverages but Big Ben has closed the margin, and he still has outstanding physical talent. With a stud receiver, in AB and a collection of other receivers who have ability to play, though they may not yet be evolved at the highest level, the Steeler offense still could attain very well. It is a little surprise, not completely, that other fans seem to have already decided what the limits are and given up that the offense can be very good.

feltdizz
08-26-2016, 04:15 PM
This is what I mean about Big Ben being the catalyst for a prolific offense and, the lack of Martavis Bryant will not necessarily impede that. The Patriots always seem to have a prolific offense, mainly because they have Brady who can make a collection of average talents at WR, by NFL talents, look good, and they have the coaching and system which maximizes their talents.

There used to be a gap between Brady's ability to read and dissect coverages but Big Ben has closed the margin, and he still has outstanding physical talent. With a stud receiver, in AB and a collection of other receivers who have ability to play, though they may not yet be evolved at the highest level, the Steeler offense still could attain very well. It is a little surprise, not completely, that other fans seem to have already decided what the limits are and given up that the offense can be very good.

I honestly think Brady is a product of the system. We saw what Cassell was able to do when Brady went down and if under pressure Brady folds like a tent.

Brady is good and has great mechanics but you aren't going to see him extend plays. It's usually pitch and catch with Brady. They are a well oiled machine on offense. They run a ton of 5 yard outs in the flat in that offense

bostonsteeler
08-27-2016, 08:23 AM
I don't think Brady is in Ben's league to be honest. Brady's a product of Belichik's system. Belichik could have taken any above-average QB and made him a star (aided, not in the smallest bit, by some of his "tricks" :-/).

Ben makes the Steeler's system. The system developed around his skills (even Haley plays to Ben's skillset). Brady's skills developed around the Belichik system.

Shoe
08-27-2016, 10:02 AM

Don't get it twisted: Not having Martavis hurts. Watch that reverse that he ran against SEA last year, or the run after catch he had vs. ARZ. This guy must terrify defenses, especially since you can't give him any extra attention, what with AB on the other side.

Steelerphile
08-27-2016, 10:28 AM
Don't get it twisted: Not having Martavis hurts. Watch that reverse that he ran against SEA last year, or the run after catch he had vs. ARZ. This guy must terrify defenses, especially since you can't give him any extra attention, what with AB on the other side.

Martavis will be replaced by other receivers who have speed and ability. Coates, Rogers, and Heyward-Bey. It is not like Martavis is gone and there is nothing left. Big Ben will find a way to incorporate the talent that is there, hope he stays healthy, and the offense will still be very good, possibly explosive.

8467thekraken
08-30-2016, 06:52 PM
Martavis is hardly replaceable. He has a unique skill set.

But I do agree, Steelerphile, that the offense will still be a legit threat to all defenses in the league.

Mr.wizard
08-31-2016, 06:40 AM
Martavis will be replaced by other receivers who have speed and ability. Coates, Rogers, and Heyward-Bey. It is not like Martavis is gone and there is nothing left. Big Ben will find a way to incorporate the talent that is there, hope he stays healthy, and the offense will still be very good, possibly explosive.

The thing about Bryant is the matchup problems he presents for defenses, they have to put their biggest corner on him, they have to keep a safety over the top, and the corner who plays him has to press him or he will kill you underneath. It's the same thing with our RB's, Williams is pretty good but you can tell this offense is on another level when Bell is out there, because of the matchup problems he presents.

Eich
08-31-2016, 08:27 AM
Martavis is hardly replaceable. He has a unique skill set.

But I do agree, Steelerphile, that the offense will still be a legit threat to all defenses in the league.

And it significantly threatened the best defense in football last year. All it needs is some good luck in the health department and a serviceable defense and it's ring number 7.

K Train
08-31-2016, 10:19 AM
I honestly think Brady is a product of the system. We saw what Cassell was able to do when Brady went down and if under pressure Brady folds like a tent.

Brady is good and has great mechanics but you aren't going to see him extend plays. It's usually pitch and catch with Brady. They are a well oiled machine on offense. They run a ton of 5 yard outs in the flat in that offense
EHHHH little strong.

I think 2003 brady was purely a product of the system. He was a 6th round pick for a reason, he was awful and not well developed at all.

But to say he hasnt grown into a master of the position is absurd....you take brady of the last 6 years on any team and hes still great.

Ben evolved into what I would call a master of the position too...he went from a raw QB that would drop back, make one read, spin around, absolutely welcome contact and make a big play down the field. Arians helped shape Ben into a great QB, Haley helped shape him into a great passer.

BradshawsHairdresser
08-31-2016, 10:22 AM
The thing about Bryant is the matchup problems he presents for defenses, they have to put their biggest corner on him, they have to keep a safety over the top, and the corner who plays him has to press him or he will kill you underneath. It's the same thing with our RB's, Williams is pretty good but you can tell this offense is on another level when Bell is out there, because of the matchup problems he presents.

$$$$$
That's why I think the loss of Bryant for the season (and Bell for 3 weeks) is a lot more significant than many of my fellow Steelers' fans believe it to be. Add in the loss of our top two TEs from a year ago (I like Jesse, but he's unproven), and there's some good reason for concern, IMO.

K Train
08-31-2016, 10:38 AM
Have you seen them keep a safety over the top consistently on Bryant? I havent.

Biggest corner, Ill give you that (Brown would welcome the biggest corner). Brown gets triple bracketed and still is always open, saying they have to keep a a safety over the top on Bryant is a nice theory but no way he has ever drawn more attention then brown (hence why he is often running down the sideline untouched).

I hate martavis for being so dumb, it was painful news to get because he really is talented and has a superb connection with ben....but the actual role he played in the offense was not much different than nate washington and a young mike wallace before him. Something im sure they hope coates can get worked into (i am of the side that thinks he can)

Bell is obvious though, cant argue there.